How To Make Keto Egg Salad
In a saucepan, bring 1 inch of water to a rolling boil over high heat.
Place the eggs in a steamer basket. Place the steamer basket over the hot water, then cover and reduce the heat to medium-low.
Cook for 13 minutes. While the eggs are cooking, fill a large bowl with ice cubes and water.
When the cooking time is up, use a slotted spoon to remove from the heat. Transfer the eggs to the ice bath. Let sit for 10 minutes.
Peel and chop the eggs, then place them in a large bowl.Toss with the celery and onion.
In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, dijon mustard, lemon juice, celery salt, turmeric, and fresh ground black pepper.
Add the mayonnaise mixture to the egg mixture and toss to combine. If desired, you can mash with the back of a fork.
Taste and add more salt and pepper if desired.
Refrigerate until ready to serve.
What Makes This Recipe Healthy
This healthy egg salad is very similar to the classic egg salad recipe. But I make it healthier by:
- Swapping the mayo for Greek yogurt. Greek yogurt has lower calories, lower fat and higher protein making it very diet friendly. Plus its super creamy, so it creates a rich consistency that we all know . However, if youre doing a Whole30 or prefer to eat paleo and/or dairy free, simply use a healthy, whole food mayonnaise. I like Primal Kitchen Real Mayo made with avocado oil.
- Adding chives or green onion to the mix. This addition bulks up the egg salad so it feels like were eating more quantity, but the calories are actually less per serving. It also gives the egg salad a nice crunch, which is so good.
- Serving options. Get creative with how you serve egg salad. I love topping rice cakes with my egg salad and they add very little calories to my meal. You can also go low-carb , and serve the egg salad in a lettuce wrap or on top of a bed of greens, which makes it perfect for those following a keto or Whole30 diet.
How Do I Know If Im Eating Too Many Carbs
Carbs are important to your overall health, but its important to know how much. The average person should try to eat at least five to six small meals a day. But its difficult to know how much your body needs. Some people eat more than they need, while others eat less. One way to estimate how much your body needs is to calculate how much you are physically active, and make sure youre drinking enough water. There are also certain foods you can eat to give you a better idea of your carb intake. For example, whole grains and vegetables are high in fiber, which is important for bowel health. Bread, pasta and other starches are higher in carbs. A serving of whole grain bread is 10 grams, while white bread is 14 grams. Meanwhile, a serving of fruit has 2 grams of carbs. When you eat foods like that, you can get a better idea of how many carbs youre eating and how many grams of carbs you need each day.
Don’t Miss: What Is In Chicken Salad
To Make This Healthy Egg Salad Sandwich Healthier I Used:
- I used LOW CALORIE/ LOW CARB bread, Daves Killer bread, Powerseed, thin cut.
- I used one slice of bread, making it an open faced sandwich, rather than two slices of bread.
- I weighed my avocado so it didnt add too many calories, but added HUGE flavor!
- I added extra veggies! Peppers, celery, and lettuce!
- I only used one whole egg, but an extra egg white.
- I made it for one serving, for easier portion control!
The full healthy egg salad recipe is below!
Healthy Egg Salad Sandwich
With only 78 calories for a large boiled egg, this egg salad sandwich is a winner. A few simple swaps changed this indulgent egg salad sandwich, into a healthy egg salad sandwich!
Eggs are a great low calorie, high protein food! A large boiled egg contains 78 calories and 6 grams of protein. Egg whites without the yolk are only 17 calories, and almost 4 grams of protein. So much of the protein comes from the egg whites, with the least amount of calories! For more All egg nutrition calories and macros, click here!
If you love egg salad, youll love this healthy version. I got the basics of this recipe from the Body for Life Cookbook, but made a few changes to make it my own!
Also Check: Where To Buy Spin Blend Salad Dressing
The Best Keto Mayonnaise
Try making it with my easy homemade mayonnaise, which is free of seed oils. Once you discover how homemade mayonnaise only takes less than 1 minute to make, you will never go back to store-bought again.
In the recipe for easy keto egg salad below, I use curry powder because this is my favorite flavor, but you could easily replace this with chopped fresh parsley, celery, grated carrots, prawns, crab, or even bacon pieces.
Egg Salad Serving Sizes
For this salad, we like to use large eggs. This makes it easier to cut them in half. You dont need to cut large eggs in half, just crack the egg into a small bowl and scoop the contents into a salad bowl. One large egg has about 5 grams of carbs. This is about half of the carbs in an egg roll. You can also use egg whites in this recipe, which have 3 grams of carbs per egg white. You can either serve egg salad on lettuce leaves or bread. In order to make egg salad more filling, add some bell peppers, tomato and onion to this recipe. You can use salad greens, hard-cooked eggs, celery or carrot sticks for vegetables.
Recommended Reading: Can I Eat Salad Everyday And Lose Weight
What To Eat Egg Salad With
Whether youre in the mood for an easy egg salad sandwich or an egg salad lettuce wrap, youve got options. Here are a few ways to enjoy this delicious egg salad:
- Lettuce Wraps A great way to serve the best keto egg salad. Use romaine or butter lettuce leaves and top with egg salad.
- Cucumber Slices Use cucumber slices as a cracker-like option for your egg salad.
- Mini Bell Peppers Cut mini bell peppers in half, remove the seeds and stem, and scoop away.
- Almond Flour Crackers These keto crackers are crunchy and buttery, and made with just 2 ingredients!
- 90-Second Keto Bread The fastest way to make keto bread only 5 ingredients needed.
- Almond Flour Bread Just like a classic wheat bread, this bread is made for classic egg salad.
Keto Veggie Packed Salads
These keto vegetables are superfoods in every way. Packed with vitamins, flexible in preparation, downright delicious no wonder were obsessed!
Try these fresh new takes on traditional side salads to add a lot of dimension to your meals. There are so many varieties, you can try something new every day!
Tried and True Recipes:
- Cauliflower Potato Salad. Youll love this even more than the classic!
- Keto Coleslaw. With this dish, I pronounce you BBQ ready!
- Keto Taco Salad. Everything is better with a little kick!
- Cauliflower Tabbouleh. Swap bulgur for Cauli rice in this traditional dish!
Tips for Making Your Own:
Read Also: If I Just Eat Salad Will I Lose Weight
Egg Salad Nutrition Facts
Eggs are actually loaded with many healthy nutrients including protein, omega-3 fats, riboflavin and vitamin B-12. One large egg also contains 2 grams of saturated fat, about 210 milligram of cholesterol and 70 to 75 calories. Lots of folks skip the egg yolks to reduce cholesterol for fear they are not healthy, so lets set the record straight: Yolks have the same amount of protein as the whites, and most of the other nutrients are in the yolk.
Mayonnaise, which is made mostly from oil and eggs, is a high-calorie condiment. One tablespoon of mayo has 90 calories, 10 grams of fat, 1.5 grams of saturated fat and 90 milligrams of sodium. Most egg salad recipes have way more than 1 tablespoon of in them.
Arbys Crispy Chicken Salad
You can choose to have the chicken tossed in the salad, or you can choose to have it by itself. This is a popular choice for many because it tastes good and its affordable. Its a salad that has lettuce, diced tomatoes, cheddar cheese, bacon, and chicken. The chicken is deep-fried in the salad.
It also comes with a creamy garlic dressing. The salad is served in a large bowl with the chicken on top of the greens. You can also get it as a wrap or pita sandwich.
You May Like: Honey Baked Ham Chicken Salad
Also Check: Is Potato Salad Gluten Free
What Are The Benefits Of Iceberg Lettuce
All of this might make it sound like iceberg is losing the battle of the leafy greens. But it still has some good stuff going for it, and both Feller and Largeman-Roth agree that you should eat it if you enjoy it.
For starters? Iceberg lettuces high water content makes it super hydrating, Feller says. So it can be an especially good pick if you have a hard time drinking enough water throughout the day or just want an extra boost, especially when its hot out. A big iceberg salad might be especially refreshing and hydrating on a sweltering summer day. And while iceberg is a relatively scant source of fiber compared to some other lettuces and veggies, it still has some of the nutrient, which is important for everything from digestive health to maintaining healthy cholesterol levels, as SELF has reported. And when youre aiming to get the recommended 25 to 30 grams daily, every little bit counts, right?
And lets not forget that iceberg lettuce is a whole plant food, and everyone could use more plants in their diet. We want to encourage people to include all plants into their pattern of eating and iceberg is a great choice, Feller says.
Extra Sandwich Filling Ingredients
Egg salad sandwiches are great with just the bread and salad, but I especially love to add extra ingredients for irresistible flavor and texture. Plus, many of these ideas also add nutrients. Here are some sandwich add-ons to try:
- Add sliced pickles for extra crunch.
- Im always a fan of avocado slices on my sandwich.
- Top the salad with lettuce and/or red onion for fresh flavor.
- Adding sprouts or pea shoots is a great way to add color and texture.
- Bacon slices make any sandwich more delicious! Wouldnt you agree?!
- Add a slice of fresh juicy tomato. This is a must for me when we have garden tomatoes!
Read Also: Chicken Caesar Salad Chick Fil A
How To Make Egg Salad Healthier
Try the followingsuggestions for a lower calorie egg salad:
- Only use half the yolks Every 2 yolks you omit reduces eachserving by 20 calories and 1 gram of fat. Youll also lower your cholesterol intake.
- Swap out half the mayo for non-fat Greek yogurt. Low fat sour cream works well too, especiallyif you like your salad to have a little tanginess.
- Add raw veggies like celery, grated carrot,pickles, and green onion to bump up the nutrient quotient of your egg salad.
- Skip the bread Make a wrap using Romaine lettuceleaves instead, or use egg salad to stuff a pepper.
- Pile egg salad on top of celery for a quick low carbsnack.
- Enjoy egg salad on top of a garden salad instead ofin a sandwich.
- Make a sandwich with low carb bread made withcoconut flour or almond flour.
Easy Low Carb Egg Salad
For your convenience in re-creating our Keto Egg Salad Wraps recipe at home, weve included shop-able ad links to some of the products and supplies used. Read our disclosure policy here.
These keto egg salad wraps are one of our go-to lunch recipes. Theyre quick and easy and super low in carbs
Oh, and of course theyre delicious!
Egg salad is generally pretty low in carbs, but the big watch-out is the type of mayonnaise used. Many store-bought brands contain added sugar and other stuff.
Our Keto Egg Salad Wraps contain only the good stuff: lots of healthy fats and protein. Theres no added sugar, no other nonsense!
Related: If you love eggs, try our Keto BLT Salad with Hard-Boiled Eggs and Warm Mustard Vinaigrette!
Also Check: Jason’s Deli Salad Bar
The Nutritional Information For Egg Salad
Whether for a school-lunch sandwich filling, a fancy picnic spread or on top of some greens, egg salad provides plenty of protein to fuel your body.
Video of the Day
While most recipes contain the same basic ingredients â eggs, mayonnaise, herbs and spices â small variations can result in huge nutritional differences. Homemade egg salad recipes tend to be much healthier than the commercially available prepackaged varieties.
Learn how to fill your plate with healthy, nutrient-dense foods by logging your meals on the MyPlate app. Download now to fine-tune your diet today!
How Many Calories In An Egg Salad Sandwich On Rye
There are 239 kCal calories, 13 grams of protein, 3.5 grams of fat, and 570 mg of sodium in an egg salad sandwich on rye. However, if you add mayo to the sandwich, then the nutrient content will change.
With mayo, an egg salad sandwich on rye will have 298 kCal, 26 grams of carbs, 16 grams of fat, and 10 grams of protein.
Recommended Reading: Gluten Free Salad Dressing Packets
How Many Carbs In Garden Salad
Food base and calorie counter. Carbohydrates in garden salad. The preferred option of the term garden salad is 1 cup of mixed vegetable salad which has about one gram of carbohydrates. Below are the total carbohydrates, sugars, fiber, and estimated net carbs for different types and serving sizes of garden salad.
Keto Deviled Egg Salad Wraps Recipe
- ½ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon pink Himalayan sea salt
- 6 leaves of Romaine lettuce
You May Like: Brianna’s Ginger Mandarin Salad Dressing
How Many Carbs Are In Egg Salad
The number of carbs in egg salad depends on the types of carbs and ingredients you use to make it. Many popular brands use mayonnaise and other high carb ingredients. When you add these, they can make the salad much higher in carbs. And some brands use a lot of sugar. So, if you make egg salad yourself, you can control the carbs and ingredients, which makes it easier to figure out how many carbs are in the egg salad. This also makes it easier to control how many carbs you eat. There are some egg salad recipes that include high carbs ingredients, such as mayonnaise and sugar. But, there are also many healthy low carb egg salad recipes. So, you can choose to make egg salad thats low in carbs, high in protein, and full of healthy ingredients.
How Many Calories Are In Egg Salad
A half cup of eggsalad contains 111 calories or 90 calories if made with low-calorie mayonnaise.
A full cup of eggsalad contains 223 calories or 183 calories if made with low-calorie mayonnaise.
An egg salad sandwichmade with a half cup of egg salad and two slices of whole grain bread contains 249calories.
Also Check: All You Can Eat Soup And Salad
Can Eating Eggs Help You To Lose Weight
Not only do eggs provide many health benefits,research suggests that eating eggs regularly can also support weight loss.
Because eggs are rich in protein and low in calories, they make a great food option for folks who are watching their weight. Protein assists in weight loss because it helps you feel fuller for longer periods of time. The simplest way to lose weight is to curb the intake of calories, and since eggs are less than 100 calories each, they can help you lose weight.
Studies show that a protein-rich breakfast including eggs helps individuals to eat less throughout the rest of the day. But eggs arent just for breakfast, they can be eaten for lunch or dinner as well. A meal consisting of two hard-boiled eggs and a cup of mixed vegetables contains only 274 calories. Add a few tablespoons of mayonnaise , and you not only have yourself a delicious egg salad, but youve got a complete meal.
It isimportant to note that frying eggs in oils or butter increases the caloric andfat content. A tablespoon of olive oil 119 calories. Hard-boiled is a great way to prepare eggswithout using fat.
Eggs have also been found to boostthe metabolism. A studyconducted in 2012, suggests that diets rich in protein help treat obesity andmetabolic syndrome, essentially because it makes people feel fuller for longerperiods of time.
Eating eggs and other protein rich foods may help folksburn more calories than they would if they ate high carb or high fat foods.
Do Carrots Have Carbs Or Sugar In Them
Carrots contain carbohydrates and almost half of their total carbohydrates come from sugar. Unlike the added sugars in candy and soda, the sugar in carrots does not significantly affect blood sugar. In addition to natural sugars, a large carrot contains fiber and about 400% of the recommended daily amount of vitamin A.
You May Like: Where To Buy Ham Salad
Read Also: Buffalo Barclay Chicken Salad Chick