What Kind Of Pickles To Use In The Traditional Southern Potato Salad
Dill pickles or sweet relish is what traditionally used for pickles in this salad. Some of us maybe fond of sweet pickle relish, others may prefer dill pickles instead.
I ferment my own dill pickles and thats what I used here. I find that the sour taste of a dill pickle compliments the richness of the mustard-mayonnaise dressing the best.
Make Ahead And Storing Leftovers
- Make ahead: You can easily assemble this the day before serving. We like to prepare it the night before so its had time to chill and the flavors to blend, but still tastes fresh.
- How long does potato salad last? Potato salad with egg should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator and will keep for 3 days. Do not leave this salad out at room temperature or, worse, out in the sun. Mayo-based dressings do not do well in the heat.
- Can you freeze potato salad? Technically, yes. But I dont recommend it. Once thawed the potatoes get grainy and the dressing separates. We just prefer to make it fresh each time.
You May Like: What Spices Are Good In Tuna Salad
How To Make Best Potato Salad
Making the best potato salad is really easy.
- First, boil the peeled potatoes. In a separate pot, boil the eggs.
- While potatoes are boiling, chop the celery and green onions, and make the dressing by combining mayo, mustard and sweet pickle relish.
- Next, cut potatoes into pieces and drizzle with vinegar.
- Peel and chop the eggs and add to the potatoes.
- Add the chopped celery and green onions to the potatoes, then add the dressing and mix until combined.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and sprinkle with paprika.
Thats it! Your best ever potato salad is ready!
Also Check: Salad Shop New Haven Menu
What Type Of Potato Is Best For Potato Salad
We use white potatoes, or Yukon Golds, in our familys recipe. Because they have a thinner skin, theyre easy to peel after boiling and taste creamier, a little sweeter, and hold their shape well after cooking. Avoid using starchier potatoes like russets that too easily turn to mush in salads like this.
Also remember to choose potatoes of the same size for the most consistent cooking.
Make It Ahead Of Time
You can prepare and store this dish in an airtight container placed in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Otherwise, you can freeze portions in a resealable plastic bag for up to 1 month. To do so, spread in a thin layer and remove all of the air, then seal. Defrost in the refrigerator a day before using. I like to chop some fresh onions and parsley to garnish on the top right before serving.
You May Like: Clear Glass Salad Plates Bulk
What Are The Best Potatoes To Use For Potato Salad
This is a common question and it can get a little overwhelming. Generally, the rule is that you want a more waxy potato and less of a starchy potato. Waxy potatoes will hold their shape better when boiled. They also commonly have thinner skin, so that means that you dont necessarily need to skin them before putting them in the Potato Salad. Some people like the taste of the skin and that more rustic look! A common potato that a lot of people use are the small Red Potatoes or even Yukon Gold. Try to avoid any potato that is more starchy with thick skins, like Russets.
Kale In Macaroni Salad
A little hot sauce, scallions, garlic, and rich fatty bacon balance out the tendency for this pasta salad to be too sweet.
However, the addition of roasted red peppers, pickle relish, and, perhaps surprisingly, kale, all offer intense flavor and color that has stay-power, making this recipe a marvelous make-ahead and leftover dish.
Look at the kale. Its a pop of color that doesnt wilt down like most fresh herbs.
Kale has a sturdy consistency and holds up well even with a heavy dressing. Including it in the salad adds a hearty texture with a slightly earthy flavor.
Read Also: Pecan Chicken Salad Sandwich Arby’s
Which Potatoes Are Best For Potato Salad
The very best potato salad recipe begins and ends with what type of potatoes you use. We love waxy potatoes like Yukon Gold potatoes or red potatoes, because they hold their shape as they cook and keep their firm texture in the salad while chopping and tossing with the dressing.
However, if you dont have any of those kinds on hand, you can use Russets. Weve used them in this recipe many times and they work fine. Theyre just a bit softer and flakier than red potatoes or Yukon Gold, but taste just as delicious.
If you love potatoes as much as we do, be sure to check out our other Potato Recipes!
Easy Potato Salad With Egg Recipe
Potato Salad with Egg Ingredients:
- 5 potatoes, cut into 1/2 cubes
- 1/2 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 3 hard boiled eggs
Potato Salad with Egg Instructions:
As I mentioned above, using the Dill Weed at the end is completely optional. Some people like it and some dont. Also, the amount of salt and pepper that you use is completely to your taste. A lot of people like to add their own salt and pepper after it is served anyways. We love how the egg looks on top of the potato salad. This will really increase the wow factor at your next cookout or picnic!
We hope you enjoy this Easy Potato Salad with Egg recipe. If you are looking for some great summer desserts to serve after you enjoy your meal, check out our Chocolate Zucchini Cake or our Peanut Butter No Bake Cookies! Have a great summer and dont forget to wear sunscreen!
You May Like: Plant Based Diet Salad Dressing
Read Also: Low Fat Vegan Salad Dressing
How To Make The Best Potato Salad Ever
Potato Salad Ingredients
What really are the classic potato salad ingredients? In my research, I found the passionately argued requirements differed slightly based on the geographical location of the author. I narrowed it down to these:
- 6 medium potatoes
- 1 Tablespoon vinegar
- 1/2 cup finely diced red onion
- 1/3 cup finely diced dill pickle
Potato salad dressing ingredients also varied based on preference. Heres the ingredients that gave to us the flavor and creaminess we were looking for:
- 1 1/2 cups Miracle Whip salad dressing
- 1 Tablespoon mustard
Step by Step instructions for potato salad
Step 1: Cook, cool and dice the potatoes
What type of potatoes are best for potato salad?
Potato salad requires potatoes that will remain firm when they are cooked. Yukon Gold, Russet, or Red potatoes are the ones that seem to be up to the task for a perfect potato salad recipe.
How long to boil potatoes for potato salad?
To prepare the potatoes for potato salad, first wash them well with tap water, peel them, and cut them into large chunks that are about the same size. Place the potatoes in a large saucepan and cover them with cold water I do NOT salt the water at this point, as the salt may make the potatoes watery in the salad later.
Once they are cooked, drain off the boiling water and toss them immediately with 1 Tablespoon vinegar. Let them sit in the vinegar in the heated pan for a few minutes. Then transfer to a colander to cool completely.
How do I hard-boil eggs?
Whats In Potato Salad
I spent many a summer afternoon making and taste testing this salad alongside my amazing mama, just like she did with hers. In fact, Ive made it so many times I dont even need the recipe. You know a recipe is that good when you know it by heart.
Heres the ingredients youll need for this classic potato salad:
- Yukon gold potatoes
- white vinegar
- kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
Recommended Reading: Salad Recipes For The Week
The Best Potato Salad Recipe
In our family, we cant imagine a family barbecue, picnic, or game day buffet without this rich and creamy homemade potato salad as a side dish.
Now, I know that everyone says their mom makes the best potato salad, but in this case its totally true! Once you try this recipe, youll never go back to that nasty store-bought stuff again.
Will I Get Sick If The Salad Sits Out
With major heat waves from coast to coast, you might be wondering if it’s OK to leave your potato salad sitting around at your outdoor picnic.
“I think it’s a misconception that you cannot serve a mayonnaise-based potato salad at a picnic because you may inadvertently kill a whole bunch of folks,” Harvey said. “I want to dispel that myth.”
Most store-bought mayonnaise is highly pasteurized, he said.
“In fact, most of the bacteria that you’re dealing with in a commercially based mayonnaise is no different than the bacteria you’d be dealing with in a commercially based oil.”
According to the health department, you’ve got about four hours from the time it comes out of the cooler to the time your guests can consume it safely, he said.
It’s important to completely cool potatoes and any other ingredients before mixing in the mayonnaise, however.
“And then you can just bring that potato salad to your events,” he said. “Everybody will eat most likely within four hours, and then you’re good. But anything past that point, you’re kind of on your own.”
Don’t Miss: Ingredients For Tuna Fish Salad
What’s The Best Potato For Potato Salad
I find that a good Yukon Gold is ideal for making potato salad. They soften nicely for this recipe and they are also sturdy enough to not be too mushy if you don’t want to mash the potatoes. I like nice sized chunks in my potato salad, so my choice is usually a nice sturdy Yukon Gold.
I have used baby red potatoes, russet potatoes, and fingerlings in potato salads. All have good results, but ultimately the Yukon Gold or a similar Klondike Goldust potato is best for this style.
The Best Potato Salad Recipe Ever
My moms potato salad is better than your moms potato salad.
There, I said it and Im not taking it back! *wink*
Seriously though, my mother has magical abilities in the art of potato salad making. My mom makes traditional mustard, pickle, and hard-boiled egg potato salad. Its simple, but I have never made or tasted another potato salad better than her version And Im not the only person to think so.
Over the years Ive watched countless relatives and friends swoon over her classic potato salad.
The problem is, when you ask her for the recipe she has a hard time sharing it, because she doesnt actually have a recipe written down. She makes it by feel.
Its taken years of watching, assisting her, and asking questions to come up with what I consider to be her recipe.
Want to know moms secrets?
Read Also: Chicken Salad Chick Concord Nc
Cooks Tips And Recipe Variations:
- Its important to put the potatoes in the pot of water before you heat up the water and bring it to a boil. This ensures even cooking. If you drop the potatoes into already boiling water, the outside of the potatoes will cook quickly, while the inside will stay hard.
- Boil the potatoes whole. Do NOT dice or peel the potatoes before they go in the water. Cutting or dicing the potatoes causes them to release steam while cooking, which will result in a mushier potato.
- The potatoes will take about 15-20 minutes in the boiling water to become fork-tender. If youre using baby potatoes, they may only require about 10 minutes, so keep a close eye on them you dont want to overcook them and end up with mushy potatoes.
- How much potato salad per person? Its safe to assume that 1 pound of potatoes will feed about 3-4 people. In this case, 2 pounds of potatoes for the potato salad yields about 6-8 servings. If you plan to feed 20 people, you will need to triple all of the ingredients. To feed 50 people, you will need about 8 batches for 100 people, about 15 batchesand so on.
- Optional additions to the old-fashioned potato salad: Garnish the dish with any fresh herbs that you enjoy add a sprinkling of paprika just before serving stir in cooked, crumbled bacon add a few hard-boiled eggs include a dollop of mustard or stir in some pickle relish. Take the basic recipe and make it your own!
How To Boil The Perfect Eggs
Recommended Reading: Taco John’s Taco Salad
Potato Salad Recipe Variations:
There are so many ways to customize this potato salad recipe, so feel free to experiment and see what you love most! For example, you could
- Add bacon: I will always be down for a potato salad with bacon stirred in.
- Add fresh herbs: Feel free to also mix any fresh herbs you might love chives, dill, parsley, basil, thyme, etc. into this potato salad.
- Add extra pickles: If you really love pickles, feel free to add in extra pickle juice and/or any other pickles you love!
- Omit the pickle relish: If you dont love pickles, just omit them entirely.
- Omit the mayo: If mayos not your fave, feel free to use full-fat plain Greek yogurt instead.
- Use different potatoes: Everyone has a different opinion about the best potatoes for potato salad! I say use whichever you love Yukon Golds, Russets, red potatoes all will work here. 🙂
- Use baked potatoes: Happen to have leftover baked potatoes on hand? Chop them up and add them in to make this a baked potato salad!
- Use different vinegar: If you dont love apple cider vinegar, feel free to swap in white vinegar or red wine vinegar instead.
- Use different mustard: If you dont love Dijon mustard, feel free to swap in regular yellow mustard or your favorite spicy mustard instead.
- Make it vegan: Just swap in your favorite vegan mayo to make this a vegan potato salad recipe.
Best Potatoes For Potato Salad
A common question I get from many readers is Why does my potato salad get watery? and the answer is almost always because of the type of potato you used.
For a successful Potato Salad recipe, you must use a potato that is starchy and cook until fork tender so some of the potato holds together in the salad but also can be mashed a bit adding to the creaminess of the potato salad without upping the amount of mayonnaise used.
I prefer to use a Yukon Gold potato for my potato salad but you can also use a russet potato with good results. Do not use new potatoes because they will cause your potato salad to become watery.
Don’t Miss: Easy Mexican Corn Salad Recipe
How To Make Potato Salad In The Instant Pot
Do I need a steamer basket?
You do not. Your potatoes will come out perfectly fluffy without a steamer basket for this Instant Pot recipe!
Should I cut potatoes before boiling for potato salad?
Yes. You should cut the potatoes to about 1 to 2-inch uniform pieces before placing them in the Instant Pot.
What kind of potatoes are best for potato salad?
Yukon Gold potatoes are perfect for potato salad! They hold up to moisture very well.
How long does potato salad last in the refrigerator?
In an air-tight container in the refrigerator, your Instant Pot Potato Salad will last about 5 days.
Can you freeze potato salad?
You can, but we dont recommend freezing potato salad. The consistency will not be the same after freezing and its easy for it to become mushy.
How do you steam potatoes in Instant Pot for potato salad?
Lay the cut potatoes on the bottom of the pot with water. Nestle the eggs on top of the potatoes so they can cook together on high pressure. Quick release the pressure once theyre done cooking. This is the best way to cook potatoes for potato salad.
How do you make potato salad dressing from scratch?
It is so easy to make homemade potato salad dressing. Mix mayo, vinegar, salt and pepper, and a little sugar until smooth. Thats it!
Can you make potato salad ahead of time?
Yes! It tastes even better after youve let it chill. You can let this potato salad rest in the refrigerator for up to 3 days before serving.
Read Also: Organic Gluten Free Salad Dressing
How To Keep Potato Salad From Getting Watery
There are a couple of reasons potato salad can become runny. Heres how to troubleshoot the problem.
You May Like: What Is In Chicken Salad