Creamy Cucumber Salad With Mayo
Sharing is caring!
This creamy cucumber salad with a mayo dressing is packed with fresh cucumbers, red onions, and white vinegar, and mayonnaise dressing that is super refreshing for summer salad dishes are one of my favorite recipes.
This delicious cucumber mayo sour cream salad recipe is the perfect summer side dish is a perfect combination with Asian pork burgers a perfectly grilled steak, chicken salad sandwiches, pork sandwiches in arepas, and so much more! Its a light and refreshing picnic side dish recipe that is a perfect compliment to just about any main dish!
Packed with fresh crunchy cucumbers , red onions, and a light and creamy dressing, this salad makes an appearance at our house many times each summer!
Its even really low in carbs, so perfect if youre looking for a keto-friendly side dish to take to a picnic! You can cut the carbs down even further by omitting the onions completely.
Step : Prepare Cucumbers
- Peel cucumbers. If you are using slicing/garden cucumbers, you will want to peel off the thick, waxy, bitter skin. If you are using English cucumbers, you can skip this step.
- Slice cucumbers. I recommend ¼ inch slices because the cucumbers will soften slightly when mixed with the salt water. A little thicker texture ensures they retain their beautiful crunch.
Which Cucumbers Are Best For Salads
I prefer using the English cucumber, which is mild, sweet, and virtually seedless. Normally, these cucumbers come wrapped in plastic at the grocery. The skin on these cucumbers is thinner and more fragile than the pole cucumber, which is generally what is found in gardens.
Along with the texture and mild flavor, his cucumber seems to have less water, which makes this a lovely choice for salads.
Read Also: Chicken Salad Sandwich At Arbyâs
Also Check: Hidden Valley Ranch Macaroni Salad
Other Great Uses For Cucumbers
If you grow your own cucumbers, then you’ll know it’s easy to end up with an overabundance of them during the summer. Check out some of these creative ways to put your crop to good use:
- Give yourself the spa treatment: Add some slices of cool cucumbers to some sparkling or mineral water.
- Juice it up: Cucumbers are a great source of vitamin B. If youve got a juicer, you can make so many amazing juice combinations. Add lemon, fresh mint and parsley for even more nutrients.
- Fix bad breath: I know, bad breath is something no one wants to talk about. But did you know that phytochemicals in the cucumber will kill the bacteria in your mouth leaving you with fresher breath? Try it!
- Defog your mirrors: You’ll just have to try this one to believe it. Try rubbing a cucumber slice along the surface of your clean dry mirror before showering. It will eliminate the fog!
- Soothes a sunburn: Peel and mash a cucumber. Applying a tiny amount of cucumber directly to the skin can give you some relief. Not only does it act as an anti-inflammatory, but it can also reduce the redness of your skin.
Can I Make This In Advance
If you want to make this salad in advance, I recommend placing the sliced cucumbers and onion in a bowl, and the prepared creamy dressing in a separate bowl and then cover each one and refrigerate. Between 1 and 2 hours prior to serving, fold everything together and then place in the refrigerator until ready to eat.
You May Like: Chicken Salad Chick Hiring Age
Can You Make Creamy Cucumber Salad Ahead Of Time
Yes, you can make this salad in advance, but there will be some costs: The cucumbers will release more water while they rest, meaning you’ll have a watery dressing and soggy cucumbers. That isn’t all bad. Some people like this texture.
While you can make this salad up to four days in advance, we wouldn’t recommend making it more than 24 hours before you plan to serve it.
Creamy Dill Cucumber Onion Salad
This Creamy Dill Cucumber Onion Salad is made with sour cream and mayo and is crisp, light, refreshing, and can be made and served in only 30 minutes! Its a perfect family dinner side dish when you need to quickly get dinner on the table. Simply combine sliced cucumbers and red onions then toss them with a quick 4-ingredient dressing, chill in the refrigerator, then serve!
This is a salad that is meant to be prepared and served quickly. Its for the times that you want to add some extra veggies to your dinner table, and want something quick, light, and fresh.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Recommended Reading: Best Italian Dressing For Pasta Salad
Directions For Creamy Cucumber Salad Recipe
And thats it! Only 4 steps and less than 10 ingredients for this delicious salad thats perfect for summer!
Ingredients For The Best Cucumber Salad
When it comes to fresh cucumber recipes, this is a super simple one that relies on just a few fresh ingredients plus a handful of pantry staples.
- Cucumbers Sometimes cucumbers can be bitter, so be sure to taste test them before adding to your salad.
- Onion Use red, yellow, or white.
- Dill Fresh dill will always be best!
- Mayonnaise Part I of the creamy base for the dressing.
- Sour cream Part II of the creamy base I love a creamy dressing made from mayo and sour cream!
- White vinegar To loosen up the creamy dressing. This also lends a simple, clean tang to the flavor.
- Sugar Just a little bit of white sugar.
You May Like: How Do You Layer A Taco Salad
Read Also: How To Make Chicken Salad From The Can
How To Make The Best Creamy Cucumber Salad:
This delicious salad, my friends, can be made in only 20 minutes. But its best to make it ahead of time for those flavors to meld together!
Step 1Peel and thinly slice the cucumbers. If you have a mandolin slicer, feel free to use that for slicing. Otherwise, a knife works just fine.
Step 2Thinly slice some red onion. You could use white onion if you prefer a stronger onion flavor.
Step 3Combine. Add the cucumbers and onions in a large bowl and toss.
Step 4Make the dressing. Combine the mayonnaise, sugar, vinegar, and salt. Whisk, and pour over the cucumbers and onions. Mix well.
Step 5Let the flavors meld. Place the cucumbers in the refrigerator for a couple of hours to let the flavors come together.
Step 6Serve. To serve, add some black pepper and additional salt if needed. Enjoy!
Why Youll Love This Recipe
Here are the reasons why youre going to love this salad!
- The salad ingredient list is short and sweet. You only need cucumbers, tomatoes, and red onions for this recipe. Fortunately, you can find most of them year-round at your local supermarket.
- It takes 10 minutes to make. This recipe is so quick to put together. You can make it on the fly!
- You can make the salad ahead of time. Alternatively, you can save yourself some time and make this the day ahead. We suggest that you dont cut the tomatoes if you make it the day before. They are very watery and will add unwanted liquid to the salad.
You May Like: What Is The Best Low Fat Salad Dressing
Creamy Cucumber Salad With Tangy Mayo Dressing
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Creamy Cucumber Salad with sweet onions and a tangy mayo dressing. Cool and refreshing, its the perfect side dish for cookouts and backyard barbecues!
Its amazing how something so basic and simple as this creamy cucumber salad can be so satisfying and delicious. It has a short list of ingredients an comes together in minutes yet manages to always be the star of the party.
If youre looking for the perfect side dish for your Summer cookouts and picnics, this cucumber salad recipe is for you! Cool and refreshing, it makes a delicious counter flavor for the rich, hearty barbecues we love to enjoy during warmer months.
A Fresh And Creamy Favorite
I just adore cucumbers and slicing them up brings back a flood of memories of my childhood years. If you’ve never eaten cucumber in vinegar or in a creamed salad before, these recipes might sound really weird or strange. I guess it is one of those things that you just gotta grow up eating to truly appreciate. But I’m thinking, if you give them a try, you just might grow to love these simple but tasty cucumber dishes.
Don’t Miss: How Do You Make Macaroni Salad
Tips For Making Cucumber Salad
- Young cucumbers that are smaller a round are best for this salad as bigger cucumbers have more water which makes the dressing a bit soupy large, older cucumbers also have bigger seeds to contend with
- Cucumbers have a high water content and the water will leak out into the dressing over time, so cucumbers can be sliced and allowed to drain in a bowl in the refrigerator for about an hour or they can be used immediately knowing there will be a little extra liquid
- Begin with chilled slices of cucumbers to be able to serve the salad more quickly
- A mandoline slicer makes uniform slices of cucumber
- Mayo can be substituted for salad oil in many cucumber salad recipes
Creamy Cucumber And Onion Salad
My garden cucumbers are out of control this year! They just became ready about 2 weeks ago and since then, Ive picked over 60 cukes from only a couple of plants. I see plenty of pickles in my future. But other than some gifted cucumbers to family friends, most of the cuke surplus has been made into a couple batches of this, Creamy Cucumber and Onion Salad.
This recipe, with some modifications, comes from our family friend, Jo.
Jo is always great for fresh, summer recipes like this Creamy Italian Pasta Salad I posted last year.
There are 2 keys to this recipe.
Giving the sliced cucumbers a little salt water soak, before assembling the salad.
This helps to both season the cukes and have them release some of their excess moisture. Making sure that once you add the dressing it wont become a watered down soup.
You. Have. To. Use. Miracle. Whip!
Im a mayonnaise girl myself, but this is the one recipe where substituting is not going to be good.
Dont ask me the science behind it all, but cucumbers and mayonnaise are not friends. The dressing becomes separated and thin.
Miracle Whip will ensure this recipe stays thick and creamy!
Take it to a family potluck .
Or serve alongside your favorite grilled meats and side dishes.
Its one salad that is sure to be well loved.
Also Check: What Is The Best Fat Free Salad Dressing
Why We Love This Recipe
There are so many spins on cucumbers these days, but I love how these make me feel. Here is how I describe them.
- Crunchy Cucumbers are naturally crunchy if you are using fresh ones. I love the mouth-feel!
- Creamy That dressing gives them a nice creamy coating.
- Zesty The vinegar gives that little bit of tang which is so necessary for great cucumbers.
- Sweet I used way less sugar than my mom did, but I feel like they are sweet enough.
- Salty Confession. I usually add a little extra pinch of salt to my serving. So good!
From the moment Mom could pick them from the garden, her delicious cucumbers were made on repeat. Dad loved his with lots of STRONG white onions and plenty of vinegar. It was rare that he told Mom they were perfectly made. I think he just liked to tease her that they needed more vinegar and onions, Norma.
Creamy Cucumber Salad Is A Summer Tradition
Gardens and farmers markets are currently in their heyday, with all their beautiful summer produce to share. And when the cucumbers are plentiful, you can bet that Im making this classic Creamy Cucumber Salad recipe!
It feels like Ive been eating this fresh cucumber salad all my life. And, come to think of it, its because I have! Mom and Dad had a huge garden on the farm when I was growing up, and this has always been one of my moms favorite salads. This recipe is a summer garden harvest tradition, made with fresh cucumbers, onion, and dill!
This creamy cucumber salad holds all kinds of nostalgia for me. I can picture Mom in the kitchen, slicing up cucumbers and stirring together the dressing without a recipe it always came together by taste.
If you prefer a cucumber salad that isnt creamy, be sure to check out this Cucumber Salad with a tangy vinegar dressing. Our daughter Tessa loves to make this all year round!
So, creamy or not, I have you covered when it comes to cucumber salad!
What to make with cucumbers? Another family favorite recipe is my moms Refrigerator Sweet Pickles my FAVORITE pickle!
You May Like: Can Dogs Have Chicken Salad
Creamy Cucumber Salad Recipe : View Cooking Videos
There are two different versions of cucumber salad that you might find, one having a light vinegar sauce, the other being a creamy version creamy cucumber salad recipe. Cool and creamy, this tangy cucumber dip is the perfect complement to grilled meats and vegetables. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving. Apr 30, 2018 Â· this post may contain affiliate links.
Red russian salad dressing recipe > bi-coa.org from bi-coa.org
Creamy cucumber and tomato pasta salad Itâs traditionally made with strained salted sheepâs or goatâs milk yogurt combined with cucumbers, garlic, and herbs. Drizzle with dressing and toss to coat. Mix macaroni, onion, green, red, and yellow bell pepper, celery, and carrots into the dressing until thoroughly coated. Apr 30, 2018 Â· home Â» recipes Â» creamy cucumber and tomato pasta salad. Everything gets tossed in a light creamy dressing and the result is a fresh, slightly tangy pasta salad with plenty of different flavors. There are two different versions of cucumber salad that you might find, one having a light vinegar sauce, the other being a creamy version. Please read my disclosure policy 13 comments.
Get The Same Ingredients For This Mayo Cucumber Salad Recipe
I get all the fresh produce for my recipes from my garden and fromMisfits Market they sell all organic produce at a super discounted price, and its purchased direct from the farmers. We get Misfit Market boxes every other week and love picking out our favorite seasonal produce for delivery. You can get$10 off your first $30 box by clicking here!
If you think organic produce is too expensive think again, and giveMisfits Market a look!
As always, if you make this vegetarian and gluten free creamy mayo cucumber salad recipe be sure to leave me a comment, rate this recipe, and tag me so I can feature you. I love seeing all your photos of my recipe recreations!
Lets keep in touch make sure to to get fresh recipes weekly. And dont forget to follow over on , & Id love to connect with you there!
You May Like: Salad Storage Bowls With Lids
How To Make Creamy Cucumber Salad With Mayo
I use regular cucumbers for this sour cream and mayo cucumber salad recipe, but you can easily use English cucumbers too for personal preference. I like mine cut very thin with the cucumber skin left on.
If you arent a fan of the skin of cucumbers, feel free to peel it first! You can also cut your slices thicker or even cut them thick and then cut each slice in half again. Its really up to you how you slice your cucumbers and wont affect the final taste of this creamy cucumber salad with mayonnaise recipe at all!
A Make Ahead Cucumber Mayo Salad For Entertaining
This cucumber salad with mayonnaise recipe is fantastic to make ahead of time for a party, potluck, or gathering. Making this recipe in advance allows you to skip any cooking or prep on the day-of. This is a great recipe to entertain with, or bring to an event. Chilling this recipe overnight in the fridge actually makes it taste better the next day. A crowd-pleaser that everyone is sure to love! Check out my othermake ahead meals too.
Don’t Miss: Which Salad Dressings Are Keto Friendly
How To Make Cucumber Dill Salad In Advance
- THE SALAD. Sweat, dry and toss the cucumbers with theother veggies in a paper-towel lined air-tight container up to 24 hoursahead of time. Store container in thefridge and pat off any excess moisture with the paper towels before addingthe dressing.
- THEDRESSING. Make the Lemon Chive Sour Cream Dressingup to 24 hours in advance and store in an airtight container in therefrigerator. If you choose to make it this far in advance, you might wantto add a little more lemon before tossing as the lemon will mellow over time just taste first and then make the call.
- COMBINE. Toss the cucumber dill salad with thedesired amount of dressing right before serving or up to 30 minutes beforeserving.
Why Youll Love This Creamy Cucumber Salad Recipe
- Goes perfectly with fish, chicken or just about any main course
- Great make ahead recipe, as the flavors are even better the next day
- Super popular and always a crowd pleaser
- Low in carbs and calories
There is nothing more refreshing than cool and crisp cucumbers. This easy cucumber salad is so easy to make and only takes about 10 minutes from start to finish to prepare.
And on top of being super easy, its loaded with the most incredible flavor. Along with fresh dill, the dressing for this salad gets a nice zesty punch of flavor from a little white wine vinegar and lemon that really compliments the creamy mayonnaise.
Whether you’re wanting a low carb side dish to serve at your next potluck, picnic, outdoor BBQ or just for a quick snack, you just can’t go wrong with this creamy cucumber salad.
You May Like: Chicken Salad Chick Troy Al