What Are The Best Potatoes To Use In Potato Salad
Whatever potato type you choose to make your potato salad with will impact the texture.
Traditional potatoes are the most common ingredient in potato salad, but you can use sweet potatoes as well.
For this recipe we used yellow, yukon gold potatoes. Since they are waxy potatoes they are more likely to hold their shape compared to other varieties.
Avoid using a starchy potato like a russet potato, which has a tendency to crumble or fall apart more easily than a waxy potato.
What Ingredients You Need For Potato Salad
- Potatoes. I use Red Potatoes in my potato salad. They stay firm throughout the cooking process which is great so they dont fall apart when theyre soft. Their waxy texture is perfect for potato salad, roasting, or making stews.
- Bacon. This is actually optional, and if you dont prefer bacon on your baked potato feel free to leave it out! The great thing about this recipe is how adaptable it is!
- Cheese. I use cheddar cheese in my recipe, but again, whatever cheese you like in your potato!
- Sour Cream & Mayonnaise. You need a sauce to hold together your potato salad, and in traditional potato salads its usually just mayonnaise, but since this is Baked Potato Salad you have to get sour cream in there! You could even do all sour cream if you prefer!
- Vinegar. Just a little vinegar goes into potato salad to give it a slight tang. You could even use lemon juice if you would like, OR you could omit it.
- Chives. Chives or green onions are really nice in this recipe for a slight crunch, flavor, and color!
- Seasonings. I use salt and pepper in this recipe, which is a great place to start. Feel free to get creative with your spices!
How To Make Pioneer Woman Baked Potato Salad
Recommended Reading: Chuck E Cheese Salad Bar Coupon
What Is A Loaded Baked Potato Salad
This baked potato salad is a versatile recipe that you can pack to a picnic, serve at a hot summer backyard bbq, or dish up alongside a pan-seared steak when the weather is cool. This recipe is all the best parts of a baked potato or twice baked potato mixed together into one delicious potato salad.
Cook Bacon In The Oven:
Preheat the oven to 400° and line a large rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil, covering it entirely and up the sides. Place a wire rack in the baking sheet and lightly spray it with cooking spray.
Lay bacon strips on top of the wire rack side by side and cook for 15-25 minutes. Keep an eye on it to make sure its crispy but not over-done.
Cool cooked bacon until its easy to handle and crumble or cut into small pieces.
Recommended Reading: Peppers In Olive Garden Salad
Freezing Loaded Baked Potato Salad
I recommend making potato salad fresh, but you can freeze potato salad if you want to extend its shelf life! Place in an airtight, freezer-safe container or heavy-duty freezer storage bag and freeze for no more than 3 months.
When ready to defrost, let it thaw in your refrigerator overnight. Do not let the potato salad thaw at room temperature as it may cause it to spoil!
Be Sure To Try These Other Delicious Potato Recipes From Your Favorite Restaurants And Our Readers And Friends
on any Name below for the Recipe
Photo of Bone-In Ribeye is by and is used by permission under the Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic Creative Commons License. Read the Full License Here https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.0/legalcode. Thank you, Mark. Great Picture. Photos may be representative of the recipe and not the actual finished dish. All photo licenses listed were correct at the time of the posting of the page. Recipe is our adaption of several recipes formally widely-circulated on the internet courtesy of the Wayback Machine. Additional Information Courtesy of Wikipedia and is used by permission.
You May Like: Gordon Ramsay Chicken Salad Masterclass
Do You Peel Potatoes For Potato Salad
Peeling or not peeling potatoes comes down to personal preference. Some feel very strongly about peeling potatoes for potato salad, or mashed potatoes for that matter. When it comes to any potato salad, I’m all for unpeeled potatoes because I like quick, simple prep, but I also appreciate the heartier texture and added nutrition the skins provide to the dish.
Loaded Baked Potato Salad Is Cheesy Creamy And Ready In Just Minutes It Makes The Perfect Side Dish To Your Holiday Meal Or Potluck
Loaded Baked Potato Salad seems like a fun summery side dish but it has always been a hit at the holidays!
The easy recipe is perfect for large gatherings because it doesnt take up a burner on your stovetop or a spot in the oven during the critical last few minutes before serving and it tastesamazing. Plus now you dont have to bake a huge bowl of potatoes and have five little bowls of toppings for people to add in at the party.Okay, okay, so you may have noticed or soon be noticing I didnt add bacon to this. Yes, if I made it for just a couple of people I am all about the bacon, but this dish was made for a lovely vegetarian friend so I nixed the bacon.
Want to add the bacon back in? I do about a half a pound, cooked and crumbled. Then instead of a half a cup of mayonnaise you swap out a bit of it forbacon fat. The result is a super bacony, cheesy, delicious baked potato salad!
Speaking of mayonnaise, I have very strong feelings about using a specific one I love so much I actually have it shipped to me since it isnt available to us West Coasters locally. Dukes! You lucky people who get to buy it in person, it is the best mayo ever, so yeah, if you can get it locally or are willing to give a new mayo a shot, I think youll love it.
If you want to swap the sour cream out, you can also use a greek yogurt instead. It will be a bit tangier than the sour cream, but hey now you can add more cheese with all the calories you saved?
Pin this recipe now to remember it later
Read Also: What Goes In Chicken Salad Sandwiches
How Long Does Potato Salad Last In The Fridge
Any leftover baked potato salad should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator anytime its not being served. This recipe will stay fresh for up to 5 days.
I would not recommend freezing potato salad as the dairy will separate and, most likely, curdle.
Do not consume potato salad if it has an off-smell, theres mold in the container, or its texture has changed.
Tips & Tidbits For My Loaded Baked Potato Salad Recipe:
- Yukon Gold potatoes for flavor: Yukon Gold potatoes have such as terrific flavor in this salad, and roast up to tender, almost creamy perfection. You can easily substitute red skin potatoes , as these will also yield a nice texture for this salad. You could use russets, but they will have a drier interior and be much more starchy.
- Bacon in place of the prosciutto: While the crisped up prosciutto lends a nice, subtle flavor to this salad, feel free to use classic bacon, if you prefer. Apple smoked bacon is terrific, or you could even substitute turkey bacon if you prefer to avoid pork.
- Sharp white cheddar, or other options: I love the flavor of a good sharp cheddar here, but other tasty options are blue cheese crumbles, grated Jack cheese, or even a gouda.
- How to make loaded baked potato salad ahead: If you’re planning on serving the salad the same day, allow for some chill time in the fridge once you combine the salad ingredients. If prepping for a day or two ahead, then prep all of the components and keep them separate in the fridge. On the day you’d like to serve the loaded baked potato salad, combine everything together according to recipe instructions, and serve.
Hungry for more mouthwatering salad recipes? Check out this Warm German Potato Salad, this Sweet Potato Salad, this Macaroni Salad, this Zesty Italian Pasta Salad, this Roasted Beet Salad!
Cook’s Note: This recipe was originally published in 2013, and has been updated with even more love!
Also Check: Chicken Salad Chick Rome Ga
Loaded Baked Potato Salad Is The Perfect Bbq Side Dish
Im not sure what it is about potato salad that has me smitten, but if I dont control myself I will eat myself into a coma. And turns out knowing this about myself, I never tried to make potato salad until very recently. I was too scared that armed with that knowledge I would quickly be weighing in at 400 pounds, give or take.
I will say, that in my attempt at avoiding preparing potato salad, I became an expert at OTHER summer BBQ side dishes like these:
Loaded Baked Potato Salad Dressing
What brings a potato salad together is the dressing. You want it to be creamy enough so nothing is dry or bland. But also not too rich so you can taste every ingredient. The key to a good dressing for this loaded potato salad is to use sour cream and mayonnaise together. Since theres a lot of flavor going on already, the only spices you need to use are salt and pepper. A splash of vinegar would lighten up the dressing and add a little bit of zing, so I suggest you dont skip it.
Also Check: Does Chicken Salad Chick Have A Drive Through
The Best Loaded Baked Potato Salad
There are many varieties of potato salad, but our loaded baked potato salad reins supreme.
Lets be real, any time you can add bacon to a salad is a win!
This baked potato salad recipe uses all the best ingredients from a traditional baked potato: cheese, bacon, green onion, and sour cream.
We love this baked potato salad as an easy side dish to bring to picnics and barbecues because it tastes just like the potato skins you get at restaurants!
The ingredients for this fully loaded baked potato salad are simple, but they come together in a way that is delicious.
Baked potato potato salad is an even creamier version of the loaded baked potatoes that everyone loves.
How To Make Potato Salad
Loaded baked potato salad is a little different than a standard one, but WAY more flavorful. Instead of boiling the potatoes, we cube them and roast them. All sides of the potatoes will crisp up, giving the potato salad an unparalleled texture.
Once your potatoes are baked and cooled, assemble your loaded baked potato salad. Unlike a standard potato salad recipe, baked potato salad dressing is as simple as tossing bacon, green onions, and sour cream in a bowl.
Play around with the flavors, and find out what you like. I like topping my baked potatoes with cream cheese and jalapenos, so I like adding those into this loaded baked potato salad from time to time. You can create whatever type of baked potato salad you want!
Once your potatoes are cooled, toss everything together. Serve your salad at room temperature, or chill it for a couple hours for the perfect cold loaded baked potato salad!
Don’t Miss: How Much Fiber In Salad
Wait Aren’t The Potatoes Baked
Nope! While technically you could baked the potatoes, turning your oven to high heat for an hour in the summer is not something most people want to do us included.
So rather than heat our homes over a simple summer salad recipe, we’ve opted to boil the potatoes instead, and the result tastes exactly the same. Because as we all know, baked potatoes are all about the toppings anyway.
Best Potatoes For Homemade Potato Salad
When it comes to potatoes for potato salad you want to pick a variety that is more waxy than starchy. While starchy potatoes like russets are great for mashed potatoes or French fries, they are a bit too starchy for a potato salad.
Russet potatoes will begin to break down and lose their shape after boiling and they also have a thick outer skin which does not make them the best candidate for potato salad.
Instead, grab a few pounds of a waxy potato like reds, fingerlings, or Yukon golds.
These potatoes have less starch, a thin outer skin , and they hold their shape and wont break down after boiling.
Recommended Reading: Where Can I Get A Kani Salad
Baked Potato Salad Ingredients
Ingredient amounts are included in the printable recipe below.
- potatoes – Russet potatoes make this dish taste and feel like a loaded baked potato with its fluffy, creamy texture. But, tender red potatoes or Yukon golds are always welcome at this party!
- bacon – You can use packaged bacon bits, or crumbled bacon if you cook the bacon yourself.
- green onions – Always available but you can substitute chives (fresh or dried for a classic flavor.
- shredded cheddar cheese – It’s not loaded baked potato salad without this and sharp cheddar is even better!
- sour cream – Can be substituted with Greek yogurt, if desired.
- mayonnaise – This adds luster to the potato salad, but if you prefer to not use mayonnaise, simply substitute sour cream for it.
- white vinegar – or apple cider vinegar this adds a zesty flavor and makes potato salad dressing silky.
- salt and pepper
How To Store Pioneer Woman Baked Potato Salad
- In The fridge: Pioneer Woman baked potatoes Salad can be stored in the fridge for about 3 to 4 days. Once theyre baked, let them cool until room temperature, then store them in well-closed glass containers in the refrigerator.
- In The Freezer: Pioneer Woman baked potato salad can be frozen for up to 5 months, place your leftovers in a freezer bag and remove as much air as possible after cooling. Write down the date of freezing, otherwise, you may forget. Place in cold water to thaw for no more than six hours.
You May Like: How To Make The Best Potato Salad
Ingredients In Baked Potato Salad
Potatoes I prefer to use red potatoes because they are soft and tender but also have enough starch to hold potato cubes in shape after its cut. Skin of red potatoes is also a lot thinner than Russet potatoes so its barely noticeable if you leave the potato skin on.
Bacon the best way to get crispy bacon without the mess is to make it in the oven. Make it ahead of time or at the same time as potatoes to save some time.
Shredded cheese shredded sharp cheddar will add some more flavor into this delicious potato salad.
Green onion use fresh green onions or substitute chives.
Sour Cream provides the best finishing flavor touch to bring together the loaded potato flavors.
Mayo sour cream alone is a little thin on flavor so I like to combine it with mayonnaise to make it creamier and fuller.
Dill Weed a couple of tablespoons of fresh dill weed is the perfect touch on this potato salad.
How To Store It
Store this baked potato salad in a closed food storage container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Make sure to keep the container air-tight either with the lid or plastic wrap. If using plastic wrap, make sure to use a new sheet after each time you open it.
To minimize exposure to bacteria and extend life of potato salad, use a clean spoon each time you take out some potato salad.
Also Check: Gluten Dairy Free Salad Dressing
Less Than An Hour For Cooking And Assembly:
I also wanted this salad to come together quickly. It ended up being around 45 minutes to complete the entire loaded potato salad and get it chilling in the fridge. Thats for cooking both the potatoes and the bacon, plus cooling them and assembling the salad.I baked the bacon in my regular oven , and air fried the potatoes in my new Breville Joule countertop Smart Oven at the same time .You can roast the potatoes and cook the bacon at the same time, using your regular oven, too. Just use both racks and the convection option if you have it. Switch racks half way through baking.
Can I Make It Ahead Of Time
Yes, absolutely! You can make the whole potato salad ahead of time or just cook the bacon and potatoes.
Cook potatoes, strain all the water, and let it cool to room temperature. Cover the pot with a lid or plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to prepare the salad.
For bacon, cook it completely and crumble to chop it when its cooled enough. Transfer bacon bits into an air-tight container and refrigerate until ready to use.
You can also prepare potato salad completely the day before you need to serve it. Just make sure to store it in the refrigerator, in an air-tight container, until ready to serve.
Also Check: Countertop Sandwich Salad Prep Table
How To Reahet Pioneer Woman Baked Potato Salad
In The Oven:
In The Microwave:
In The Air Fryer:
- Set your air fryer to 400 F.
- Warp your pioneer woman baked salad potato with a paper towel.
- For 45 minutes or until theyre hot enough for you to enjoy.