What Potatoes Are Best For Potato Salad
The kind of potatoes you use will affect the texture of your potato salad. The recipe does not specify what kind of potatoes to use, but here are some guidelines to help you choose the best potatoes for potato salad so you get the results you’re looking for.
Waxy potatoes, like red potatoes and fingerling potatoes, have a smooth texture and will hold their shape even after boiling. And with their thin, delicate skins, they might not even need peeling. Use waxy potatoes if you like firm potatoes in your potato salad.
Starchy potatoes, like Idahos or Russets, break down when they’re boiled but their starchy texture soaks up dressing beautifully. Use starchy potatoes if you like softer creamier potatoes in your potato salad, but you’ll have to peel them because of their thicker skins.
All-purpose potatoes, like Yukon Golds, hit the sweet spot between waxy and starchy potatoes, and are reliable choices for potato salad.
Honey Poppy Seed Dressing
Honey Poppy Seed: Whisk 2 teaspoon black poppy seeds, 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar, 1 tablespoon honey, 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard and ½ teaspoon kosher salt. Gradually whisk in cup olive oil. This one I have around most of the time because it always hits the spot. This is great on salads with berries and other sweet fruits in them, it compliments them nicely. If you are vegan, you can swap the honey for maple syrup, it’s delicious still!
Why Youll Love This Zesty Lime Grilled Shrimp Salad:
- Make Ahead: The components of this grilled shrimp salad can all be made ahead of time and then it takes only minutes to put everything together and serve.
- Healthy: Shrimp are a great source of low-fat protein, and you get lots of goodness from all of the fresh salad ingredients too!
- Quick and Easy: Simple to prep and quick to cook, this fresh and tasty salad comes together with very little effort.
This grilled shrimp salad with avocado is full of wonderful vibrant flavors and really is a joy to eat! This will be your favorite summer dinner!
You May Like: Is There A Low Sodium Salad Dressing
Springy Easy Salad Recipes
- Radish Salad with Yogurt Dill Dressing. Blushing radishes, cool cucumber and smoky roasted chickpeas make this gorgeous butter lettuce and radish salad with yogurt-dill dressing an absolute celebration of all things crispy-crunchy.
- Spring Salad With Barley and Lemon Chive Vinaigrette. Dressed with a chive vinaigrette, crunchy sunflower seeds and tart cranberries, this barley salad is an edible celebration of the cusp of spring, and makes a wonderful, hearty vegetarian dinner, too.
- Easy Fennel Salad. This sophisticated raw fennel salad is dressed simply with bright citrus, good olive oil, a sprinkling of parmesan and fresh mint to let the lightly anise-like flavor of the shaved fennel shine.
- Chopped Salad With Herb Yogurt Dressing. This fresh, crunchy chopped salad recipe is studded with bacon, dates and feta then doused in a yogurty, herby salad dressing. If you make it you might have a hard time not eating the whole bowl yourself.
Creamy Blue Cheese Salad Dressing
Creamy Blue Cheese: Whisk ¼ cup each butter milk and sour cream, ½ cup crumbled blue cheese, the juice of ½ a lemon, and salt and hot sauce to taste. Here’s a little secret, if blue cheese is too strong for you, you can actually make this with crumbled feta for a more mild dressing that is still wonderfully creamy and cheesy. Dip everything in this including hot wings.
Bonus recipes #10: my famous cilantro lime dressing
You won’t believe just how easy to whip up homemade dressing is. ENJOY!
Also Check: Vegetarian Salad Recipes With Protein
What Makes Ocharleys California Chicken Salad One Of The Most Desired Salads
Its hard to imagine a better salad than OCharleys California Chicken Salad! Its so good! It combines grilled chicken with mandarin oranges, candied pecans, strawberries, dried cranberries, blue cheese crumbles, and homemade dressing. Its wonderful for its ease and delectability.
You can make OCharleys California Chicken Salad in just a few minutes, and the dressing is just as easy. Its so easy to make from scratch that this recipe will soon be one of your favorites!
How To Cut A Wedge Salad
After you remove the core, cut the lettuce into quarters for a medium or small head. If you have a large, denser head of iceberg, use your best judgment to cut it into additional wedges. You can likely cut a giant head into 8 wedges. To cut into ths, start by cutting into four wedges and then simply cut each quarter in half.
You May Like: Soup Salad And Breadsticks Olive Garden To Go
Chicken Salad Recipe Add
There’s a lot you can do with a good basic recipe for chicken salad. Add minced fresh herbs like parsley, chives, basil, or tarragon. Add fresh grapes for juicy little bursts of flavor. Add cooked pasta to stretch the chicken salad into a larger meal. Add chopped apples and walnuts to make it a Chicken Waldorf Salad. Experiment with add-ins to make this chicken salad recipe your own.
The Simple Green Salad
A green salad is a great friend to the home cook. Once youre deep into making dinner, figuring out how to also get a fresh vegetable on the table can seem impossible. Enter the simple green salad. Just a serving of fresh leaves, it doesnt need much more than a vinaigrette, but if you like the taste and color that come with a sprinkle of shredded carrots, finely sliced onions or diced tomato, they absolutely belong in your bowl.
Karsten Moran for The New York Times
Read Also: Chicken Salad Sandwich At Chick Fil A
Types Of Salad Dressing
Taste of Home
While you may be familiar with ranch dressing or balsamic vinaigrette, there are many salad dressings thatll gussy up even the most basic salads. And while we love using bottled dressing as a shortcut, theres really no match to the flavor and brightness that come from homemade salad dressings. Here are the two main types:
A basic vinaigrette is made of a 3-to-1 ratio of oil to vinegar, plus herbs and seasonings. Apart from balsamic, Italian, lemon and strawberry vinaigrette are popular choices. Theyre known for being the lighter dressing in comparison to cream-based salad dressings. Most vinaigrettes can be used in other recipes as a marinade or glaze.
Made with mayo, cream or buttermilk, creamy salad dressings are a great way to add delicious healthy fats into your salad. They are perfect for rough-and-tough lettuces leaves, like romaine, that can hold and handle a heavier dressing. Some of our favorites are buttermilk ranch, blue cheese and cilantro dressing.
Psst! Dont have time to make from scratch? We tried 11 brands and found the best salad dressing.
Our Best Salad Recipes
Taste of Home
If youre looking for a tried-and-true salad recipe thatll impress the family, we have hundreds ready for you. Try our main course salad dinner recipes or take a look through our collection of side salad recipes thatll complement any meal.
And we know that finding recipes for any specialized diet can be challenging. These salad recipes will teach you how to make a salad thats healthy and delicious.
- If youre cutting calories, one of these low-calorie salad recipes will do the trick. Theyre all under 300 calories and use fresh produce.
- If youre on a low-carb diet plan, these keto salad recipes will satisfy any craving. Make sure you pair them with a keto salad dressing, too.
- If youre a meatless eater, try out these vegetarian salads or vegan salad recipes. Dont worry, theyre far from being bland.
Read Also: Pecan Chicken Salad Sandwich Arby’s
Mango Salad With Avocado And Black Beans
Get four of your five-a-day with this healthy salad of mango, avocado and beans. It’s a nutritional powerhouse that’s also vegan and gluten free
A Middle Eastern-style meze bowl with healthy grains, parsley, mint and coriander
A rustic, healthy accompaniment to serve alongside main courses like sausages, roast chicken or lamb
Can I Peel The Potatoes Before Cooking
Mom always cooked the potatoes with the peels, then pulled off some of the peels after cooking. This allows you to leave some potato skins in the salad, if you like, for extra texture. Also, it elements the need for a vegetable peeler because the skins will pull right off after the potatoes are fully cooked.
However, if you do not want to incorporate any of the potato skins into the salad, you can peel them beforehand. Its a matter of personal preference.
Recommended Reading: What Is In Chicken Salad
Easy White Bean Salad
Heres a salad recipe you can mix up in minutes: White Bean Salad! Its bursting with Mediterranean flavor from simple ingredients: bell pepper brings a crunch, parsley an herbaceous bite, and red wine vinegar brings a zing of acidity. Top with a sprinkle of feta, and its irresistibly tasty with minimal effort.
How To Make Farro Salad
First, cook the grains. Pour 4 cups of water into a 4 to 6-quart saucepan. Set it over high heat and bring the water to a boil. Once boiling, rinse the dried Farro and add it to the boiling water, with ½ teaspoon of salt. Cover and simmer on low for 20 to 25 minutes until the water has absorbed into the Farro and it looks fluffy.
Meanwhile, chop all the fresh produce. Drain and chop the artichoke hearts and roasted red peppers.
Set out a small jar to make the salad dressing. Combine the olive oil, red wine vinegar, honey, Dijon, mustard, garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper in the jar.
Screw the lid on tight and shake vigorously.
Pour the cooked farro into a large mixing bowl and allow it to cool for 5 to 10 minutes.
Recommended Reading: What Is The Best Salad Dressing For High Cholesterol
How To Make Potato Salad
This potato salad recipe couldnt be simpler to make! Heres how it goes:
- First, chop the potatoes. Try to cut them to a similar size, into about 1/2-inch chunks, so that they cook evenly.
- Next, cook them. Place the chopped potatoes in a large pot, and cover them with one inch of cold water. Bring the water to a boil, and simmer for about 10 minutes, or until tender.
- While the potatoes cool, whisk together the dressing. If you try it on its own, it will taste strong and salty. Dont worry! The flavor will balance when its poured over the starchy potatoes.
- Finally, pour the dressing over the potatoes and stir in the remaining ingredients. Season to taste. Thats it!
If youre serving the potato salad right away, garnish it with extra radish slices and more fresh herbs. Otherwise, cover the salad and store it in the fridge for up to 3 days. Itll taste even better on days 2 and 3!
Goat Cheese Salad With Arugula & Apple
Heres a salad idea thats on our new favorite back pocket concept: the Goat Cheese Salad with Arugula and Apples! Its simple and comes together quickly, but my does it deliver on flavor! The crunch of the apples, creamy goat cheese, and fluffy arugula are the ideal pair for the tangy sweet dressing
You May Like: How Much Is A Salad Bar At Sizzler
Fennel Salad With Parmesan
This delightful fennel salad is one anyone can enjoy despite any preconceptions, pairing the shaved raw vegetable with sweet apple, zingy lemon and savory Parmesan cheese. Delicate fennel fronds make a feathery garnish, and each bite is irresistibly crunchy with a pop of acidity.
Heres a standout fall or winter salad starring everyones favorite ingredient: Butternut Squash Salad! This one is a symphony in a bowl: hearty sweet squash pairs with crisp apple, chewy cranberries and a citrusy orange vinaigrette.
Buying Washing And Storing
In an ideal world, we would all have easy access to salad greens, fresh from local farms. But in truth, our greens come from all corners, and we often dont have time for washing until right before dinner. Dont let that dissuade you: Proper washing technique isnt all that complicated, and, as long as your greens are good, a great salad can be in reach.
Karsten Moran for The New York Times
Karsten Moran for The New York Times
You May Like: What Is A Cobb Salad
Tips For Perfect Salad Every Time:
- Chill dressing. It thickens it up and helps keeps the cold salad cold. Want to take it one step further? Serve salad on chilled plates.
- Rinse lettuce. Most of the time youll find a little bug or debris in there.
- Spin lettuce dry in a salad spinner. This is the best way to thoroughly dry lettuce leaves. If lettuce leaves are still wet dressing wont cling to the leaves and sort of just puddles at the bottom of the bowl.
- Use fresh grated cheese. The pre-shredded cheeses have a powdery cellulose coating and it doesnt taste as good.
- If time allows make homemade croutons.
- Serve immediately after you add salad dressing, the dressing starts to wilt the leaves and soak into the croutons and the salad gets sort of soggy.
Lentil Salad With Feta
Heres a top-notch lentil salad recipe to add to your arsenal, and man is it tasty. This fresh and healthy lentil salad is Mediterranean-style, mixed with fresh veggies, feta cheese and pistachios. Its a delicious way to add protein to a vegetarian meal as a side dish, or bring to work as a lunch throughout the week. You won’t be able to stop eating it! Or try: French Lentil Salad
You May Like: Caesar Salad Dressing Recipe With Mayo
Pear Salad With Pecans
Heres a dreamy salad if there ever was one: this brilliant Pear Salad! Its a study in contrasts: fresh, juicy pear against funky gorgonzola cheese bright pomegranate against savory shallot. Throw in some toasted pecans and cover it in tangy poppy seed dressing, and well: its absolutely irresistible.
Layered Blue Cheese Bacon And Iceberg Salad
What’s better than a classic wedge? One that’s stacked with all the usual suspects, plus some new friends. Carrots add just the right amount of color and root-veggie crunchiness. You can toss the salad with ranch or French dressing if you don’t have blue cheese on hand.
Get the Recipe: Layered Blue Cheese, Bacon and Iceberg Salad
You May Like: Fast Food Chicken Salad Sandwich
Is This Shrimp Salad Recipe Healthy
Yes, this shrimp salad recipe is very healthy! While there is some mayonnaise in the dressing, it is a very small amount and uses light mayo. Each serving is packed with over 20 grams of protein for less than 225 calories. Everyone defines healthy differently, but in my book, this recipe scores high on the health scale!
Mayo Or Yogurt For Waldorf Salad
Some prefer their Waldorf salad made with yogurt, instead of mayo. I usually stay in the mayonnaise camp , but feel free to substitute yogurt for the mayo if you prefer. In which case you may need to add some honey to offset the added tartness of the yogurt.
Seems like everyone has their favorite version of Waldorf salad! If you have one you would like to share, please tell us about it in the comments.
Read Also: Best Tuna Pasta Salad Recipe In The World
Everyday Side Salad Ingredients:
As I mentioned above, the base ingredients in this salad are all incredibly flexible. So feel free to use whatever you love best or have on hand! You will just need some type of
- Fresh greens: I tend to go with spring greens, baby arugula, or some sort of mixed greens for this salad. But any greens that you love best will work.
- English cucumber: We always keep a few English cucs in the refrigerator because they are easy to work with , they last for quite awhile in the crisper drawer , and they always taste so delicious with this salad! That said, feel free to use any type of cucumber that you prefer for this salad, or see other fresh veggie ideas below too.
- Red onion: If youve followed this blog for any amount of time, you know that I can never resist adding some thinly-sliced fresh red onions to my salads. But if you dont love them as much as I do, feel free to leave them out . Or to take the edge off of the red onion flavor, you can also briefly rinse the sliced onions in water before adding them to the salad.
- Nuts/seeds: Feel free to add in whatever nuts or seeds that you love best to give this tossed salad some extra crunch and protein! Were partial to salty pepitas, toasted pine nuts, or sunflower seeds in our house. But toasted almonds, walnuts, pecans, pistachios, or any other favorite nuts/seeds would be delicious options too.
- Everyday dressing: See below!
Shrimp And Avocado Salad
This grilled shrimp salad is filled with avocado, corn, tomatoes, and all kinds of fresh and flavorful ingredients. Its the perfect summer meal!
Simple to make, the shrimp is marinated in lime juice and spices before being grilled and added to salad vegetables. It is then finished with a sweet and tangy honey lime dressing.
Recommended Reading: Chicken Salad Chick Broken Arrow
How Can I Customize This Simple Tossed Green Salad
This is the best part of this salad, I think. However, I do try to keep it simple. So to that end, here are the ways in which Ive changed this salad around while not making it overly complicated.
- Make it Mexican: Swap pepitas for sunflower seeds and add chopped tomatoes, black olives, finely diced jalapenos, and a sprinkling of queso fresco. For the dressing, use mayo, cayenne pepper, garlic and lime juice like I did in this Mexican Street Corn Salad.
- Make it taste like the Mediterranean: This one is another favorite. Skip the sunflower seeds and instead add garbanzo beans. Add in sliced kalamata olives, halved cherry tomatoes, and a dash of each thyme, oregano, basil, salt, and pepper before tossing the salad. Serve with a simple dressing of olive oil and reduced balsamic.
- Have it Hawaiian: This is a little different but hang with me. Add a can each of drained, diced pineapple chunks and mandarin oranges, ham instead of the bacon, and slivered almonds instead of sunflower seeds. I also like to add blue cheese to this kind of salad, something about the tanginess of the cheese with the sweetness of the fruit that just blend so well together.
For dressing, think simply. You already will have a sweet flavor from the fruit juices. Consider sprinkling some red wine or balsamic vinegar along with some oregano, salt, and pepper. Or add a store-bought strawberry vinaigrette.