Why You Will Love This Cold Pasta Salad
- It is economical but that doesnt mean it tastes cheap. This pasta is packed full of flavors and about to be your familys favorite.
- Fresh, light and packed with protein
- Perfect for picnics, potlucks, BBQs, summer parties, and more
- It can be made ahead of time which makes It perfect for meal prepping as it stays fresh in the fridge for up to 5 days.
This canned tuna pasta recipe is simple, quick, and easy and can be on your dinner table from your kitchen in 20 minutes.
Will This Be Creamy Tuna Pasta Salad
This is a creamy pasta salad when you first make it. Because it has just the right amount of dressing that soaks into the pasta, it will become less creamy with time. If you prefer a creamy tuna macaroni salad, you can increase the amount of dressing. Just keep in mind that this will also increase the calories and fat in your salad.
You might like our homemade buttermilk ranch dressing. It would be great instead of the mayonnaise-based dressing in this salad.
Why This Recipe Works:
- The creamy dressing made from mayo, milk, seasoning salt, sugar and salt and pepper gives it just the hint of sweet and salty that sets this salad apart.
- Additions of the red onions and pea give it a nice color plus texture contrast that is sought out in so many different salad recipes.
- The tuna and eggs give it a fun flavor that is not only traditional of a tuna pasta salad, but two parings that go together nicely.
What we do a little differently than most when it comes to cold pasta salad recipes is that we like to add a little bit of sweetness to our dressing mixture.
When it is too salty it really over powers the recipe itself, so adding in some sugar in our belief is the best option you can have.
Also adding in the milk to the mayo mixture really ensures that the salad is extra creamy and when chilled it doesnt soak up all the way when you remove it from the refrigerator.
Recommended Reading: Extra Large Wooden Salad Bowl
The Best Tuna Salad Recipe In The World And The Right Tuna To Use
Best tuna salad recipe in the world
Are you curious to know what the best tuna salad recipe in the world is? Well, tuna never disappoints the tongue. No matter what kind of food it is, when tuna is used as the ingredients, it can give a true satisfaction for people who loved its taste. From any kinds of cooking by using tuna, this salad is the easiest to make. Nevertheless, the result is satisfying and can be whipped up from any ingredients. Now, lets get started to reveal the secret recipe of perfect tuna salad.
- Ground black pepper and salt, to taste
- 1/3 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp sweet pickle relish
- 2 tbsp red onion, minced
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
Tuna Pasta Salad Recipe
This cold pasta salad is loaded with tomatoes, peas and parsley, giving it a lot of flavor and added nutrition. Ive used penne noodles here, but you could easily use corkscrew noodles, or use macaroni noodles instead for a tuna macaroni salad.
- Dolphin safe canned tuna
- Penne noodles
- Kalamata olives,
- Chopped tomatoes, celery and green onions
- Pasta salad dressing
Don’t Miss: Where Can I Get A Good Salad Around Me
Best Tuna Pasta Salad Recipe In The World
No Mayo Healthy Tuna Pasta Salad is a low carb dinner that’s filled with protein, greens, and lots of fresh veggies.
Skipping mayo makes this even healthier. This is especially cool when you are on a diet or when you are looking for some quick and easy salad recipe to carry to work.
Perfect to carry to a potluck or barbecues. Or make for a lunch this easy tuna pasta salad is as easy as 1,2,3…
Just combine flaked tuna with veggies and top it off with a basic dressing.
I have deliberately tried to keep the dressing light and easy. So, it’s just some extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, Garlic Salt, and Pepper.
For that extra freshness I like to squeeze some fresh lemon juice before serving.
Recipe Notes And Tips
- Take care not to overcook or undercook the pasta. Ideally it should be al dente when you drain it. Also, using a pasta boiler is super convenient for making the perfect pasta.
- Let the pasta cool before mixing it with the mayonnaise. If you add the mayo when the pasta is hot, it can separate and become oily.
- I prefer the flavor of full fat mayo, but you can use reduced fat to cut down on calories.
This tuna pasta salad is so quick and easy to make and the flavors are so bold and fresh. I make this pretty regularly and it’s so great for cookouts. I just know you are going to love it!
Don’t Miss: Panera Napa Almond Chicken Salad
How To Make The Best Tuna Pasta Salad In The World
Printable Recipe Below
Tools For Creamy Tuna Pasta Salad
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Large Pot to boil Pasta
- 1x 500 g package of Pasta
- 1 teaspoon salt for the pot of pasta water
- Add water according to package instructions
- 3 cans of solid white tuna
- 2 cups of Hellmans Mayonnaise or homemade mayonnaise
- 1 Cup of Miracle Whip
- 1/2 cup of Plain Greek Yogurt
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed Lemon Juice
- 1 teaspoon of Paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup of chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped red pepper
- 1 cup of chopped green spring onions
- 1/4 cup of chopped red onion
- 2 cups of shredded old cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup grated asiago cheese
- 1 medium tomato chopped
- 2 medium grated carrots
- 2 chopped medium dill pickles
- 1 tablespoon pickle juice
- 1 cup cooked green peas
- Sprinkle paprika before serving for colour and flavour
Creamy Tuna Pasta Salad
A lot of tuna salad recipes opt for more oil based dressings, but quite frankly if Im having canned tuna and its not in some way shape or form connected to full fat mayonnaise, then somethings seriously not right.
The base of the dressing is a 50/50 split between Greek yogurt and mayo. The mayo gives the dressing a bit of body, full yogurt dressings always fall a little short for me. I also add extra virgin olive oil, which gives the dressing a nice rich and silky undertone.
In terms of what herbs to use, firstly unless youre going to rest the dressing I highly recommend using fresh herbs. For this dressing were going for parsley and dill. Both of which work great with the Greek theme and both go beautifully with tuna.
Other ingredients include lemon juice, garlic and seasoning.
Read Also: Easy Mexican Corn Salad Recipe
How To Make Tuna Macaroni Salad:
Cook macaroni according to directions on package. While pasta is cooking, drain cans of tuna well. Chop hard boiled eggs and shallot. In a separate bowl, combine mayonnaise, relish, celery seed, lemon juice, salt & pepper. Stir well to combine.
Stir in tuna.
Once macaroni is cooked, drain well and rinse with cold water until pasta has cooled. Pour drained macaroni into a large bowl. Pour mayonnaise mixture onto pasta.Then add chopped eggs and shallot, followed by thawed peas. Stir well.
Cover with plastic wrap and pop into the fridge for a couple of hours before serving.
Cooking Noodles For Pasta Salads
There are a few important tips to follow when cooking pasta, especially for pasta salads. It is the star of the show and you want it to shine.
This is a cold tuna pasta salad, so no worries about rinsing the noodles. It works out perfectly.
Read Also: Burma Superstar Tea Leaf Salad
A Really Good Tuna Salad
A classic and the only tuna salad recipe youll ever need.
Sometimes you just want a really good old-school tuna salad. This is my go-to recipe. I start by draining the tuna really, really well so its not watery this is important! then I add a generous scoop of mayonnaise and lots of seasoning. From there, I stir in a spoonful of pickle relish for tangy sweetness, celery for crunch, and scallions for onion flavor. Finally, I add a squeeze of lemon juice and fresh parsley to brighten it all up.
How To Make Tuna Pasta Salad Step By Step:
Place elbow macaroni in a large pot of well salted boiling water and boil for about 10-15 minutes until al dente. Remove from heat and drain liquid, then run under cold water to stop cooking and down noodles .
In large bowl add your drained tuna, chopped hard-boiled eggs, peas and red onions. Next add in your pasta and stir it around until combined .
Next in smaller bowl whisk together your dressing ingredients which are mayo, sugar, milk, salt, pepper and seasoning salt, then whisk to combined .
Pour your dressing mixture over your noodles, scraping the bowl to make sure you get it all and then stir until everything is coated and combined .
Place plastic wrap over the to top and remove to refrigerator to cool for about 1 hour.
This is one of the creamiest Tuna Pasta Salad recipes around, the sugar really gives it a nice contrast on flavor. But this also could be a base salad recipe to work up to your liking.
Recommended Reading: How To Make German Potato Salad
What To Serve With Pasta Salad
If you are eating macaroni salad for lunch then you dont have to make anything else to go along with it. At least that is how it goes in our house and my kids love eating pasta salad for lunch.
If you are making pasta salad as a side dish, there are so many other amazing side dishes and main courses that go perfect with a summer side dish! I like to have a meat as the main dish and love cooking on the grill as much as I can during the warm months. My go to main dishes to serve with pasta salad are Steak Kebabs, Grilled Salmon, Grilled Steak with Butter, Chili Lime chicken, Hawaiian Burgers, Jalapeno Burgers, and parmesan pesto chicken kabobs.
Of course in our house we never have just one side dish with a meal. I like to have a pasta salad or a potato salad and then some veggies side dishes to go with the meal. If you are looking for other recipes to make as side dishes when you make this, here are a few of my favorites.
How Long Does It Keep
Once you have made this pasta salad, cover it and keep it refrigerated. After the tuna is taken out of the can, it will keep well for 3 to 4 days but because there is mayonnaise in the salad, its best not to leave it at room temperature for more than 2 hours. However, do NOT put it in the freezer as it does not do well when frozen mayo does not preserve well in the freezer and the pasta can get too soggy.
Read Also: Create Your Own Salad Calories
Can You Make Pasta Salad Ahead Of Time
So this is one of my FAVORITE things about pasta salads, aside from the fact that my whole family loves them. I can make a pasta salad and double or triple the recipe and have it as a side dish for dinners for a few nights. My kids also love eating pasta salad for lunch, so I like to make pasta salad and keep it in the fridge for them to have an easy lunch.
If I know I am going to a potluck or a BBQ and I am making a few dishes to bring with us, I make this one the day before and store it in the fridge.
More Delicious Pasta Salads
- 3cupsrotini pastameasured dry
- 6ouncescanned tunadrained
- ¾cupbaby peasdefrosted and drained
- 1cupcheddar cheesediced
- 2tablespoonssweet pickle relish
- Combine all dressing ingredients and set aside.
- Cook pasta al dente according to package directions. Rinse under cold water to stop cooking.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
- Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.
Don’t Miss: How Many Calories Are In A Chick Fil A Salad
Can You Eat Cold Tuna Pasta
You most definitely can! In fact, many may even prefer it this way. Tuna pasta salad actually tastes really great when its either cold or room temperature. However, I would not try to heat it up.
If you do not like your tuna pasta salad too cold, you can just leave it out for a few moments after being taken out of the refrigerator to let it adjust to room temperature.
Can I Make The Pasta Salad Ahead Of Time
Yup! Just tightly cover and store in the fridge until ready to serve. I usually dont keep mine longer than 3-4days, but you can keep longer at your discretion.
This pasta salad is absolutely perfect as a BBQ side, an easy lunch or even for meal prep! I mean Ive literally never meal prepped in my life but if I did it would obviously be pasta
For more similar recipes give these a ganders too:
Read Also: Chicken Salad Chick Decatur Al
Note About Salt & Pepper
This recipe calls for 1 teaspoon of kosher salt and 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper. I would recommend that you make the dressing using half that amount. Taste it, before adding it to the rest of the ingredients, and add more to taste.
Additionally, after you add the dressing, I recommend tasting the salad to see if you would like to add more salt and pepper.
Please note that we are using kosher salt in this recipe, not table salt. If you use table salt, you will want to start with about 1/4 teaspoon and work your way up from there.
Best Tuna Pasta Salad Shell Pasta Hard Boiled Eggs Tuna Celery And Peas Are Tossed With A Dill Infused Mayonnaise Dressing In This Classic Pasta Salad That Is Always A Hit At Potlucks And Barbecues
When it comes to pasta salad, there are a million ways to make it, but for me, this recipe for the Best Tuna Pasta Salad is a classic.
This is the kind of pasta salad our grandmothers used to make, and probably their grandmothers before that. Although Im pretty sure they didnt have canned tuna that long ago, so maybe not.
Although the list of ingredients is fairly simply it all comes together perfectly. I like to think of it as the comfort food of pasta salads.
Of course, everyone has their favorite way of making it, with their own personal touches and family traditions thrown in, so feel free to take my favorite recipe for tuna pasta salad and make it your own.
This isnt necessarily a kid-friendly saladmost pasta salads arent. I get it. I wouldnt have touched this stuff as a kidtuna, peas, celery, hard boiled eggs. No thank you!
Of course, this is one of those dishes that I wouldnt eat as a child, but absolutely love as an adult. If youre anything like me and havent though about trying it in awhile, go for it! Its a wonderful pasta salad.
Like I said, there are a lot of things you can do to suit this recipe to your tastes. For a little more color, use red bell peppers instead of green. Diced red onions are a nice addition too.
Read Also: Egg White Salad For Weight Loss
What To Do With Leftovers
Your cold tuna pasta salad will keep well in the fridge for a 3-4 days as long as its properly stored in an airtight container. You can add a little mayo to moisten it if it gets a little dry as the pasta will soak up some of the dressing. However, I do recommend eating this salad within 24 hours for maximum flavor and freshness.
For other delicious pasta salads, check these out:
Tips For Making Potato Salad
- First, you gotta make a good hard boiled egg! Place eggs in the bottom of a saucepan add enough cool water to cover eggs. Bring to a boil cover, remove saucepan from heat, and let stand 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, drain the water then fill the saucepan with cold water and ice. Allow to sit for 5 minutes. Tap each egg firmly on the counter until cracks form all over the shell. Peel under cold running water. Slice eggs in half lengthwise, and carefully remove yolks. Check out my PERFECT DEVILED EGGS recipe for step-by-step photos.
- Don’t overcook the potatoes. They should just be fork tender – not falling apart.
- As this cools the potatoes will continue to soak up the dressing. So, if you notice your salad is just a little dry when you are ready to serve, add a little more milk or chicken stock and some mayonnaise and it will restore the creaminess of your potato salad.
- Want a “mayo-less” potato salad? Be sure to check out my recipe for GERMAN POTATO SALAD.
Also Check: Wooden Salad Bowl With Stand