How To Make Bonnie’s No Egg Potato Salad
- 1Mix the mayonaise, mustard, and celery seed in a large serving bowl.
- 2Add cubed potatoes, relish and chopped celery and mix lightly. Season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate.
- 3Cooks tip: You can eat this potato salad right away, but it is better to let it sit for the flavors to blend. I make the potatoes the day before and chill them. You can use other potatoes, but red potatoes absorb dressing readily.
- Last Step: Don’t forget to share! Make all your friends drool by posting a picture of your finished recipe on your favorite social network. And don’t forget to tag Just A Pinch and include #justapinchrecipes so we can see it too!
Tips For Making No Mayo Potato Salad
- Do not cut or peel the potatoes before boiling. Because we are using baby yellow and red potatoes, the skin is tender and no peeling is necessary. Cutting the potatoes before boiling will result in mealy potatoes. We don’t want that!
- Add salt to the boiling water! This will help flavor your potatoes. It would be best to add salt after the water begins to boil. This allows the salt to dissolve faster which helps prevent you pot from pitting. Pitting is a form of rust and usually only occurs when using stainless steel pots and pans.
- When potatoes are cooking, check to make sure they are done using a knife poke. Just poke a potato with the tip of a knife. If it pierces easily you can remove the potatoes from the heat.
- Take the time to finely chop your herbs and garlic. This increases the surface area and will improve flavor! It will also help them blend evenly throughout the dish.
- Traditionally, potato salad is a dish served cold. This recipe can actually be served either warm or cold because it does not contain mayo. Totally based on your preference!
So Many Potato Salads So Little Time
There are a million different ways to make potato salad, even down into the mustard category. And I pretty much love all of them. So I dont have any single recipe I will make every single time. To me, that would be like only making one type of sandwichever.
And usually I love eggs in most of my potato salads. I am that way with tuna salad too. Except if I have some egg on the side, where adding it in as well would be overkill. And obviously also in egg salad .
Recommended Reading: Moong Salad For Weight Loss
How To Make Potato Salad:
Heres how to make the best potato salad recipe its so easy!
Easy Simple Classic Potato Salad
Potatoes, celery and onions tossed in a classic mayo dressing simple ingredients make the best recipes!
If you google potato salad on the internet you will quickly discover that there are several ways this recipe can be made. It all depends on who you ask and what part of the country they were raised in. A majority of them, I have found, include eggs. And a good majority have bacon.
What surprised me though was how many of them had pickles or sweet pickle relish.
This is my moms classic potato salad recipe. I watched her make it a hundred times. There are no hard boiled eggs, there is no bacon, there are no pickles.
What is there? Potatoes.
Sometimes simple and classic are where its at.
She and I differ a little bit in HOW the potato salad gets made though .
Recommended Reading: Jack In The Box Salad Prices
Instant Pot Potato Salad
Looking for a super-quick dinner for a busy weekday? Here is an easy, healthy and delicious Instant Pot potato salad recipe you can make in no-time and will satisfy everyone. Not to mention, you can make it all year round.
Potato salad originated in Germany, but has soon spread all over the world because its so easy to make, its versatile and the ingredients are so easily available. And also super affordable!
This staple recipe is a crowd pleaser, and one of my favorite dishes for any occasion. Bring a nice bowl of fresh, cool salad to a barbeque or by the pool, and everyone will be more than happy to have a share. Cookouts, family gatherings, potlucks, these are all great occasions for making a generous batch of potato salad.
How To Cook Potatoes In Instant Pot
Cooking Potatoes in Instant Pot is super easy. You can do it 2 ways
The timings for cooking different sizes of potatoes vary. Also the timing will vary depending upon what are you making.
Baby potatoes are done in 4 minutes at High Pressure followed by NPR.
Medium potatoes are done in 7-8 minutes followed by NPR.
Large potatoes take about 10-12 minutes followed by NPR.
Extra Large Baking Potatoes and Sweet Potatoes take about 15-17 minutes followed by NPR.
If you are planning to make Mashed Potatoes, then follow the RECIPE HERE.
Don’t Miss: Corelle Salad Bowl 20 Oz
What Is Potato Salad
Potato salad is a classic side dish that’s made with boiled potatoes and a variety of other ingredients. It’s believed to have originated in Germany, eventually making its way to other European countries and the European colonies.
A classic German potato salad is typically served warm or at room temperature and is dressed in a vinegar-based sauce. By contrast, American-style potato salad is often served cold or at room temperature, and is coated with a creamy dressing made from mayonnaise, sour cream, or yogurt. Most potato salad recipes include other seasonings, herbs, or vegetables in addition to the potatoes.
Why You Need This Recipe
- This Instant Pot Potato Salad is the perfect summertime dish. It has so much flavor from the mayo, mustard, pickle juice, and pickle relish.
- This recipe is egg-free and can be made vegan depending on what type of mayonnaise you use.
- If you love potato salad, then I think you will really enjoy this recipe. Its as simple as cooking the potatoes in the Instant Pot, chopping them up, and then stirring in the rest of the ingredients.
Also Check: Healthy Cold Pasta Salad Recipes
How To Make An Easy Classic Potato Salad:
- Peel and cut the potatoes into quarters .
- Drain and lightly mash with a fork or potato masher .
- Add the diced onion and celery then with your finger over the top of an apple cider vinegar bottle, lightly coat the potatoes with the ACV. Doing this while the potatoes are hot is an important step.
- Combine the ingredients for the dressing as the potatoes are cooling and stir to combine.
Potato Salad Recipe Variations:
There are so many ways to customize this potato salad recipe, so feel free to experiment and see what you love most! For example, you could
- Add bacon: I will always be down for a potato salad with bacon stirred in.
- Add fresh herbs: Feel free to also mix any fresh herbs you might love chives, dill, parsley, basil, thyme, etc. into this potato salad.
- Add extra pickles: If you really love pickles, feel free to add in extra pickle juice and/or any other pickles you love!
- Omit the pickle relish: If you dont love pickles, just omit them entirely.
- Omit the mayo: If mayos not your fave, feel free to use full-fat plain Greek yogurt instead.
- Use different potatoes: Everyone has a different opinion about the best potatoes for potato salad! I say use whichever you love Yukon Golds, Russets, red potatoes all will work here. 🙂
- Use baked potatoes: Happen to have leftover baked potatoes on hand? Chop them up and add them in to make this a baked potato salad!
- Use different vinegar: If you dont love apple cider vinegar, feel free to swap in white vinegar or red wine vinegar instead.
- Use different mustard: If you dont love Dijon mustard, feel free to swap in regular yellow mustard or your favorite spicy mustard instead.
- Make it vegan: Just swap in your favorite vegan mayo to make this a vegan potato salad recipe.
Read Also: Spode Blue Room Salad Plates
How To Serve Potato Salad
The potato salad is served cold and pairs amazing with barbecue. Potato salad is super creamy and will enrich any meal.
When serving the potato salad at the picnic table, please do remember not to leave it out for more than four hours.
Potato salad is notorious for giving people food poisoning during picnics. This is not the issue with the mayonnaise, but with the potatoes themselves. The boiled potatoes are a perfect medium for bacteria growth.
Does Potato Salad Have Any Nutrition Value
Yes, it does! While pretty high in calories, potatoes and eggs are a healthy combination when served in moderation. They provide you with B-vitamins, healthy carbohydrates, iron, calcium, potassium and protein. Plus potatoes are a good source of fiber and egg yolks are a good source of magnesium, vitamin D and zinc.
This version of instant pot potato salad will also provide you with a healthier version of the dish. It has the same nutrients except for some sodium and less saturated fat and cholesterol because its dressed with cooking oil instead of mayonnaise.
Don’t Miss: Easy Sweet Potato Salad Recipe
How To Make An Easy Potato Salad Recipe From Scratch:
This fast and easy potato salad only requires 5 simple ingredients, as well as salt and pepper. It’s a perfect make-ahead side dish for entertaining, or for casual cookouts at home. I’ve served it with everything from an Easter ham to a grilled burger!
- Sour cream
Which potatoes are best for salad?
With so many different varieties of potatoes available at the market, it can be confusing to know which potatoes will work best in a creamy potato salad recipe. I’ve shown red potatoes here, but Yukon Gold potatoes or other waxy potatoes will also work well. These potatoes hold their shape when cooked and keep their firm texture in the salad when you chop them up and toss them with dressing. You’ll want to stay away from starchy, thick-skinned potatoes like russets, which will fall apart during the cooking process.
Step 1: Boil the Potatoes
First, bring a pot of salted water and the unpeeled potatoes to a boil. Cook the potatoes until they are fork-tender .
Step 2: Peel and Cube the Potatoes
Once they’re cool enough to handle, peel and dice the potatoes.
Step 3: Add the Remaining Ingredients
Place the potatoes in a large bowl, and then stir in the celery, green onion, mayonnaise and sour cream. Don’t forget to season with salt and pepper, too!
Step 4: Chill
How To Make The Best Potato Salad
Theres no need to be intimidated. Potato salad is very simple to make. With a few tricks, youll be making it like a pro in no time. While were on the subject of potatoes, you should know that we love them around here! Here are a few more favorite recipes: Our go-to mashed potatoes, these easy baked sweet potato fries, and our smoky roasted fingerling potatoes with a dipping sauce inspired by this recipe!
Read Also: Monkey Pod Salad Bowl Set
Vinegar Enhances The Flavor
When the potatoes are warm, they are better at absorbing flavor. Toss in two tablespoons of distilled white vinegar right after cooking, stir and allow to sit for 20 minutes. The vinegar infuses into each piece, giving some acidity to the mild potatoes and balances the rich dressings creaminess. If desired, you can substitute apple cider vinegar for a milder taste.
What Our Readers Are Saying
If you dont believe that our recipe helps you achieve the best homemade potato salad, take a look at what our readers are saying about the recipe! More reviews are in the comments section below.
Ive made this so many times!! Always so yummy and a big hit with even the pickiest eaters!! Pam
Best potato salad ever!! Melinda
Excellent. Tastes delicious! Its so much better than the potato salad purchased at the store. LouAnn
I LOVED this potato salad! Paula
Read Also: Green Beans Salad Indian Style
Things To Remember When Making Potato Salad
As with any recipe involving potatoes, it all starts with cooking the potatoes. Before anything, you will have to boil the potatoes.
To check for doneness, use a fork or a toothpick. Do not under or overboil the potatoes. Cool the potatoes in an ice bath after boiling them. This will cool them down fast, but also ease the skin removal.
While the potatoes are sitting in an ice bath, you can combine sour cream, mayo, and mustard. If you do not have sour cream, you can use crème Fraiche or Greek yogurt. They will both work fine.
Add potatoes and cider vinegar onion, and pickles. Top the salad with desired herbs and stir to combine. Refrigerate for 1 hour before serving.
Serve the potato salad cold, alone or as a side dish.
Now lets get into the step-by-step instructions!
Can You Make Potato Salad In Advance
Absolutely! I love this potato salad after it spends a day in the fridge. It will absorb more of the dressing and become more flavorful over the next couple days. This cooling also supports the development of beneficial resistant starch, even if you choose to reheat it the next day!
Because there are not eggs in this recipe, the lifespan is longer than traditional potato salad! I would still recommend eating with 3-4 days of making it.
Also Check: Greek Salad For Weight Loss
More Tips And Tricks:
- Cook the potatoes whole. This way, they keep more of their natural sweetness and flavor. They will also keep their texture firmer than if cooked in pieces. Chopping them before will reduce the cooking time, but take away from the taste
- For a more American version and a creamier texture, add mayonnaise and mustard to the salad
- Making the potato salad a few hours ahead of serving allows the flavors to blend better. You can always make it the night before and leave it in the fridge
- Mixing the potatoes while they are still too hot can make the salad watery the next day . Drain the potatoes well and let them cool completely.
The Best Potatoes For Potato Salad
The potatoes are divided in three categories:
1. Waxy potatoes have the least starch in them, and when boiled, they keep their shape. Their thin skin ensures that they are easy to peel, and if you are short on time, they do not have to be peeled at all.
Just make sure you wash them and scrub thoroughly. The common types of waxy potatoes are new potatoes, red potatoes, and fingerling potatoes.
2. All-purpose potatoes are the potatoes with a great mix of both waxy and starchy qualities. All-purpose potatoes work the best for all potato dishes, including potato salad.
Common types of all-purpose potatoes are Yukon gold and white potatoes.
3. Starchy potatoes, as their name says, are the potatoes with the most starch content. Russet potatoes are a classic type of starchy potatoes.
These will not hold well during the cooking/boiling time and will just fall apart.
In short, look for waxy or all-purpose potatoes for potato salad .
Read Also: Who Has A Good Chicken Salad
How Long Does This Potato Salad Keep
It is always best to serve it freshly made. If you plan on making it ahead, dont worry. It keeps well in the fridge for up to 3-4 days. However, leftovers that have stayed at room temperature before should be kept less in the fridge.
Boiled potatoes keep longer, so you can boil them a few days ahead with no worries. Keep them separately in the fridge and just assemble the salad before serving. This way, they will already be cold, so you dont need to wait for them to cool down or refrigerate the salad before serving.
I dont recommend freezing the potato salad. It doesnt freeze well.
How To Make The Best Potato Salad Recipe
1) The key to making the best potato salad is to use starchy potatoes and let them get really soft, so they are partially mashed once mixed. This gives the recipe a rustic, yet thick and luxurious quality. I like to use Yukon Gold or Klondike Goldust potatoes. You can also use Russet potatoes if you like. Do not use new potatoes, because they hold their shape too well and will leave the dressing soupy.
Start the potatoes in cold water and bring them to a boil to ensure even cooking. Make sure to salt the boiling water so the salty flavor gets deep down in the potatoes.
Once the potatoes are soft, drain off the water and peel off the skins. You can leave some of the skins on if you like the added texture.
Chop the potatoes when they are soft this saves time on the peeling and chopping.
2) Next, mix all the dressing ingredients together. Use your favorite mayonnaise as the base.
I know better than to tell you what brand to useMayonnaise is an intensely personal condiment!
Here in the Carolinas, we use Dukes Mayonnaise, but mom usually uses Hellmanns. You can even go with Miracle Whip if that is your favorite.
Mix a large amount of sweet pickle relish into the dressing.
Use the good quality refrigerated relish that tastes fresh, has large chunks, and stays firm. Otherwise, the dense ultra-sweet shelved variety might overwhelm the flavor of the dressing.
If you cant find good relish, finely dice firm refrigerated sweet pickles instead.
Don’t Miss: What Do You Put In Tuna Fish Salad