Quick Easy And Healthy Sweet Potato Salad
May 21, 2020 | Food |
Raise your hand if youre SICK of eating the SAME stuff over and over again during quarantine! I know were in that boat, thats for sure! Ive been trying my BEST to create more quick-to-make yet healthy-to-eat recipes that I can whip together when I just CANNOT even think about being in the kitchen for hours.
I asked you guys what kinds of recipes you wanted and easy pasta and potato salads were at the top of your list. Instead of using classic white potatoes for this potato salad, I opted for SWEET potatoes to switch things up and keep things a little bit healthier.
The best part of this recipe is that it requires very LITTLE actual cooking , and really only has you cutting things up, tossing them in a bowl, mixing them together, and youre DONE. I even used a dressing that I picked up from Walmart instead of making a homemade vinegarette .
Why Roasted Sweet Potatoes
Anything with roasted sweet potatoes is bound to be delicious, and this roasted sweet potato salad is no exception. Im sure youve noticed, but roasting veggies brings out their natural sweetness. And sweet potatoes are such a nutrient-rich vegetable. Theyre loaded with fiber, vitamin A and vitamin C. In addition, the orange and purple varieties of sweet potatoes are rich in antioxidants that help protect the body from free radicals.
Once you the sweet potatoes are roasted you simply let them cool and then toss with the spinach, red onion, dried cranberries, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar and avocado. Thats it! It so simple, but so so good.
Sweet Potato Salad Ingredients
Youre not going to belive the combination of the flavors from the sweet potato, red onion, and crunch from the celery thats going to make your tastebuds do a happy dance. Its a delicious combo that even the skeptics will want a second helping. Heres what you need to make this sweet potato salad happen:
- Sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- Plain Greek yogurt
I prefer smoked paprika in my potato salad because it gives it a wonderful smoked flavor that goes from plain to epic immediately.
You May Like: Avocado Chicken Salad Wendy’s
Easy Sweet Potato Salad
This is a perfect recipe to make for potlucks, barbecues, or any time you need an easy and colorful side dish to feed a crowd.
The recipe is super quick to throw together and calls for just a few basic ingredients that are readily available at most grocery stores.
Its one of those no-fail healthy recipes great to have on hand for last-minute invites, and the dish can be vegan, soy free, gluten free, or easily adapted to fit Whole30 and paleo diets as well.
You can also turn it into a main meal by serving the roasted sweet potato salad over quinoa or rice, such as this Half Calorie Rice.
This healthy sweet potato salad was inspired by the first friend I ever made after moving into my apartment in Washington, D.C.
She brought a similar salad to a potluck brunch I hosted a few years ago, and I fell completely in love with it.
I immediately asked for the recipe and have been making my own version ever since!
With so many different flavors and textures, the dish will completely captivate your tastebuds. And you can change it up to suit what you have on hand I sometimes like to add corn, zucchini, lentils, or diced avocado .
If you want to sub butternut squash for the sweet potato, I dont see why that wouldnt also work.
Trending Right Now: Mango Salsa 5 Minute Recipe
How To Serve And Store Sweet Potato Salad
I love serving this dish as a side for dinner with my apple cider vinegar chicken, these baked chicken tenders or grilled lemon pepper shrimp skewers. Its great served cold or at room temp, which also makes it perfect for BBQs, potlucks and parties. One batch makes about 6 servings so if youre making it for a potluck you may want to double the recipe.
I recommend serving this salad right away, but it you want to prep it ahead of time, you can roast the sweet potatoes and chop all the veggies up to a day in advance. After roasting, let the sweet potatoes cool and store in the fridge until youre ready to make the salad. The avocado is best added just before serving, but leftovers of the salad will keep in the fridge for up to 2 days. The avocado might turn a little brown so not the prettiest for serving to guests, but it will still taste good!
You May Like: Chicken Salad Chick E Gift Card
How To Cook The Sweet Potatoes
Add the chopped potatoes to a large, microwave-safe dish. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave for 3 to 5 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
Be super careful when removing the plastic wrap from the steamed potatoes, the trapped steam is HOT!
Make sure to not overcook the sweet potatoes so they dont fall apart. It will help them mix with the dressing and the other ingredients -I still havent met a person that likes a mushy potato salad.
How To Make Sweet Potato Salad Paleo
I am pretty excited to share this easy potato salad recipe and explain how to make sweet potato salad paleo to fit your needs. Most potato salads are made with white potatoes and canola-based mayos, so simply swapping out the potatoes for sweet potatoes and the mayonnaise for an avocado oil mayo is an easy way to turn it into a paleo salad.
Here are the SUPER easy steps for how to make healthy sweet potato salad:
- Cook the sweet potatoes. After you peel your potatoes, boil them until fork tender.
- Prepare the dressing mixture. Mix your avocado mayo, Dijon mustard, orange juice, apple cider vinegar, smoked paprika, salt and pepper to a large bowl.
- Gently toss in sweet potatoes, eggs, yellow onion and green onion.
- Refrigerate until its ready to serve. Top with extra diced green onions as a garnish.
TIP: Sweet potato salad recipes are best if you let them chill for at least an hour or two, or overnight.
Recommended Reading: Fat Free Salad Dressing Brands
Ingredients For Sweet Potato Salad
- Sweet Potatoes Youll need 1 1/2 lbs , tossed with oil, maple syrup, salt and pepper.
- Kale 1 bunch should yield 10 cups chopped. Be sure to strip the leaves and discard the tough stem.
- Apple perferably crisp and sweet-tart, but any variety will do
- Pecans lightly toasted .
- Dried cranberries add a sweet tanginess. We love to use Pomegranate seeds when in season.
- Goat cheese our favorite for sweet and savory salads like Berry Arugula Salad and Beet Salad.
The Best Way To Roast Sweet Potatoes
Every time I roast sweet potatoes, I wonder why I dont make it more often. So juicy and soft on the inside, naturally sweet, and caramelises beautifully on the outside. I cant think of another vegetable that caramelises this well. Not even pumpkin it gets too mushy before it caramelises like this.
Ive experimented roasting sweet potatoes in various ways, and I find I get the best results using olive oil and roasting it in a stinking hot oven. While butter has a lovely flavour, it burns at high oven temperatures. Ive tried using a mix of butter and oil too, but still found that the butter became too bitter.
Though sweet potato is already sweet, it pairs perfectly with a Honey Lemon Dressing. I promise its not too sweet! Im a savoury girl, so Im very particular about the level of sweetness in savoury foods. The honey just takes the edge off the sharpness of the lemon, as well as thickening it so the dressing clings to the salad.
Ive made this a ridiculous number of times over the past month or so. Its my current obsession. Im really into salads at the moment. Salads as meals. Ive got a few more favorites coming up in the next few weeks, I hope you like them!
This is also a salad that regularly has a place during holiday feasting. Christmas, Thanksgiving and Easter. Its a terrific side because its something a little more interesting that the usual garden salad, and its a total crowd pleaser.
Hope you enjoy! Nagi x
Don’t Miss: Chinese Chicken Salad Dressing Bottle
How Do You Store Healthy Sweet Potato Salad
Store cold sweet potato salad in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Its important not to let it sit out for longer than 2 hours at a time, because it will start going bad if you do. You should always store the healthy sweet potato salad in an airtight storage container.
This sweet potato salad recipe is ideal for meal planning and prepping. You can make it early in the week and have it for a quick lunch idea for several days.
More Potato Side Dishes:
Bacon Potato Salad This no mayo Potato Salad with Bacon is ready in just 30 minutes! Its a vinegar potato salad the whole family will love.
Pink and Purple Potato Salad Move over, boring potato salad! Have this PRETTY one made with purple potatoes instead!! NO MAYO makes it healthier and perfect for picnics, parties, potlucks and events!!
Honey Butter Smashed Sweet Potatoes Soft, tender potatoes with crispy skin and the most HEAVENLY melted honey butter on top!! EASY comfort food thats a perfect side dish anytime!!
Honey-Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Honey-Cinnamon Dip The honey glaze and the creamy cinnamon dip make these potatoes irresistible!!
Pamesan and Herb Roasted Potatoes These herb roasted potatoes are sprinkled with Parmesan cheese and are made with seasonings you already have on hand. So easy to prep, and crazy delicious!
Roasted Sweet Potato and Apple Casserole A HEALTHIER and DELICIOUS twist on sweet potato casserole!! The potatoes and apples retain some texture with the perfect amount of crumble topping!
Crispy Parmesan Ranch Potatoes The BEST roasted potatoes youll ever eat!! Tender potatoes seasoned with ranch mix and topped with a CRISPY Parmesan breadcrumb topping!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.
originally published July 29, 2015 May 11, 2021//118
Recommended Reading: How To Meal Prep Salad For A Week
Hot Or Cold Sweet Potato Salad Recipe
Because the crowd-pleasing salad can be served hot or cold, its a great option for either summer or Fall.
The recipe yields a large batch, so its also good for meal prep you cook once and get a delicious and healthy lunch for the week.
Half of the photos in this post are actually iphone pictures courtesy of my mom, who made the salad for a party on Saturday. I decided to change the post to include them, because I know so many of you love seeing more of the step-by-step process with my recipes.
Guess now Ill have to pay her royalties
Leftover black beans? Make this Black Bean Soup!
- 4medium sweet potatoes,peeled and chopped
- 1/2tspsalt + optional pepper
- 3tbspoil,or spray
- 2tspminced garlic
- 1 1/2tbsplime juice
- 1red bell pepper,diced
- 1 1/2cupscookedor 1 can, black beans
- optional 1 cup canned or cooked corn
- 3/4cupfresh cilantro,chopped
Sweet Potato Salad Recipe Ingredients
A few basic ingredients fill this sweet potato salad recipe with delicious texture and flavor:
- Sweet potatoes, of course! I roast them until theyre caramelized on the outside and tender in the middle.
- Arugula Im obsessed with these soft bitter greens! If you dont have arugula on hand, spinach, massaged kale, or baby lettuces would be great here too.
- Avocado It adds creamy richness to this hearty sweet potato salad.
- Pepitas For crunch!
- Feta cheese I love how its tangy flavor plays off the caramelized sweet potatoes. If youre vegan, skip the cheese entirely, or replace it with a few pickled red onions for pop.
- Tahini dressing This bright, nutty dressing ties it all together! Its a simple mix of tahini, lemon juice, maple syrup, olive oil, sesame oil, garlic, water, and salt.
To make this recipe, roast the sweet potatoes and whisk together the dressing. Then, assemble the salad in a large bowl or platter with the arugula, roasted sweet potatoes, avocado, pepitas, and feta cheese. Drizzle on the dressing, and enjoy!
Find the complete recipe with measurements below.
Read Also: Chicken Salad Chick Newnan Ga
Tips From The Betty Crocker Kitchens
- tip 1 Why it Works: Concentrated Flavor of JellyFor strong flavor, many chefs rely on the power of reduction. As stock, wine or fruit juice boils the chemicals responsible for flavor are concentrated and sometimes altered to result in a very strong sauce. Most people dont keep reduced stock or wine in their pantry, yet they do have jelly. Jellies, jams and preserves all begin with fruit juice that is boiled until it achieves a thick, syrupy consistency. Good-quality jellies and preserves deliver a sweet, concentrated dose of fruit with no work.
Healthy Sweet Potato Salad
Whenever you need a simple side dish that is light, tasty, and can please a crowd, this Sweet Potato Salad is both!
Most American potato salads include a heavy mayo dressing, but this recipe cuts it in half with Greek yogurt. The yogurt adds a tangier flavor and more protein along with the hard-boiled eggs because they too belong in potato salad.
Also Check: Jalapeno Holly Chicken Salad Chick
See How To Make Sweet Potato Salad Paleo And Whole30 This Easy Healthy Cold Sweet Potato Salad Recipe Is Both Sweet And Savory And Ready In 15 Minutes
Cold sweet potato salad is my new favorite summer dish! Why? Because this paleo sweet potato potato salad has everything you are looking for in a sweet potato salad recipe! Its nutritious, easy to make, and a real crowd pleaser. Try this healthy sweet potato salad for your next party or get-together.
Why Youll Love Kale Sweet Potato Salad
- Feel-good recipe this salad is packed with so many healthy greens and veggies, plus sweet potatoes are high in fiber, Vitamin A and Vitamin C. Its a hearty and satisfying salad and feels like a meal in itself.
- Make-Ahead you can roast the sweet potatoes a day ahead and pre-chop your lettuce. Store both in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Leftovers keep well dont toss the leftover salad. Unlike regular green leafy salads , a kale salad doesnt get soggy after adding the dressing. Refrigerated leftovers taste great the next day.
- The best dressing youll love the combination of flavors in this maple vinaigrette. It has a short list of ingredients and is simple to make just whisk or shake it up in a mason jar and youre set.
Don’t Miss: Best Things To Put In Salad For Weight Loss
An Irresistible Sweet Potato Salad
This is a terrific meaty salad thats loaded with fantastic textures and flavours, and is filling enough to serve as a main.
The combination of peppery fresh rocket / arugula leaves, the sweet potato with the caramelised edges, the soft crunch of pecans with the salty feta then finished with lemony honey dressing is irresistible. One bite, and youll go back for more and more!
Two Variations: Potato Salad Vs Plated Salad
You can serve this sweet potato salad one of two ways: from a bowl, or as a plated salad. Here are the differences:
- The main method is like a cross between potato salad and green salad. Its mostly sweet potatoes, with a bit of baby arugula thrown in.
- Want more of a green salad? Do the plated salad variation. Add a few cups of mixed greens to the baby arugula. Place the greens on a plate, then add the sweet potatoes and drizzle over dressing.
You May Like: Salad Diet To Lose 10 Pounds In A Week
Roasted Sweet Potato Salad
This Roasted Sweet Potato Salad has all the best flavors of Fall wrapped in one delicious salad. Its loaded with kale, creamy sweet potatoes, crisp apple, and crunchy pecans with the best maple vinaigrette dressing. Watch the video tutorial and youll be craving it.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
A platter of Kale Sweet Potato Salad looks stunning on the Thanksgiving table, but its also a satisfying dinner salad and you can roast the sweet potatoes ahead to meal prep. The best part? Leftover kale salad keeps really well.
Cooks Tips For Making Sweet Potato Salad Recipe
- Roast the sweet potatoes until they have crispy, brown exteriors. This will help them hold shape when mixing the salad.
- Spray the baking sheets first with cooking spray so the potatoes dont stick to the pan.
- Divide the potatoes between two cooking sheets so the pans arent crowded. This helps circulate hot air around all the edges.
- Allow the potatoes to cool slightly before tossing with the dressing.
You May Like: How To Make A Tasty Salad
How To Make Sweet Potato Salad