How To Make Healthy Pasta Salad
- Cook pasta with salt until al dente: Salt prevents pasta sticking to each other and keeps it firm. Also undercooking or cooking until firm is the best pasta for a salad because it wont become a mush once tossed. Prep veggies while pasta is cooking.
- Cook asparagus/green beans in pasta water: Let cooked pasta sit in a salad bowl to cool off a bit . Cook firm green veggies in pasta water for a minute or two.
- Combine all ingredients together: I do not make healthy pasta salad dressing separately but you can. I just add cooked asparagus, feta cheese, tomatoes, olives, herbs, spices and olive oil to the salad bowl with pasta and toss gently.
- Let pasta salad sit for 30 minutes: Place it in the fridge and let all flavors marry each other. You will see this half an hour makes all the difference for cold pasta salad in the world!
Recipe Ingredients And Substitutions:
- Pasta: I like using a curly shape, such as fusill or gemelli. However you can also use elbows or orecchiette, which resemble a small ear. All of these shapes do a good job at catching the dressing, which is a big bonus.
- Tomatoes: Cherry tomatoes add a burst of juicy freshness to this salad. I like using the packs of multi-colored tomatoes, which I usually purchase from Trader Joes.
- Aromatics: The recipe suggests chopped red onion and celery, which add lovely crunch and zippy flavor.
- Frozen peas: While fresh peas are in season right now, frozen peas are just SO convenient. Plus, they add lovely vegetal sweetness and are super appealing to kids.
- Olives: I prefer using black olives, however you can also use green, if you prefer. The olives add a briny bite, which really rounds out the flavor profile.
- Herbs: My favorite part of this salad is the burst of fresh, herby goodness. My go-to combination is chives, dill, and basil. Alternatively, you can use tarragon and/or parsley.
- Mayo: You only need 1/3 cup of mayonnaise for the dressing, which is substantially less than most creamy pasta salads. Alternatively, you can use plain whole-milk Greek yogurt or sour cream.
How To Make The Best Pasta Salad
This pasta salad recipe is easy to make. Made with simple ingredients, this salad is flexible, so you can make this when you are inundated by summer produce or adapt to what is in season. Plus, you are looking at under 20 minutes from start to finish. Not too bad, especially when you can keep it in the fridge for up to 5 days! This recipe uses a vinaigrette based dressing. If you wanted a creamy salad, take a look at our creamy pasta salad recipe.
Recommended Reading: How To Make Salad In A Jar
Vegan Pasta Salad Recipe Variations
This vegan pasta salad recipe is delicious as written, but its totally customizable! Change it up based on what youre craving or what you have on hand. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Make an Italian version with roasted red bell peppers instead of green beans.
- Simplify it by skipping the spiralized squash and increasing the pasta.
- Doesnt matter if its vegan? Use 3/4 cup halved mini mozzarella balls instead of the navy beans.
Feel free to toss in your favorite summer veggies and herbs. Let me know what variations you try!
Spinach Orzo Chicken Salad
Serves: 8Nutrition: 219 calories, 6.8 g fat, 2.5 g saturated fat, 236 mg sodium, 22.6 g carbs, 3.7 g fiber, 1.9 g sugar, 16 g protein
Spinach and chicken have not only complementing flavors but also waist-whittling superpowers. While spinach owes it muscle-growing powers to its iron levels, chicken has its sky-high protein content to thank. This recipe pairs both ingredients with orzo, onions, tomatoes, basil, goat cheese and a homemade vinaigretteand we must say, the result is quite delicious.
Get the recipe from Recipe Runner.
Also Check: Chicken Salad Chick Newnan Ga
Easy Cold Pasta Salad
- 1/4cupred wine vinegar
- 1tablespoonfresh lemon juicefrom 1 lemon
- 1/4teaspoongarlic powderor 1 clove minced fresh garlic
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the pasta salad:
- 16ouncesrotinior other small pasta
- 2cupsbroccoli floretschopped and blanched if desired
- 1red bell pepperstemmed, seeded, and chopped
- 1yellow bell pepperstemmed, seeded, and chopped
- 1/2red onionpeeled and thinly sliced
- 1cupgrated Parmesan cheese
Make Ahead Tips For Italian Pasta Salad
- The dressing can be made up to 5 days in advance. Store it in a jar in the refrigerator. It will become solid in the fridge, just bring it up to room temperature and whisk it in a large mixing bowl before adding the hot pasta to it.
- The entire recipe can be prepared through step three up to twelve hours in advance.
- All the veggies, except the tomatoes, can be cut and stored separately in covered containers in the fridge up to 12 hours ahead.
- Another option would be to prepare start to finish but omit the tomatoes and basil up to 12 hours ahead. Add them right before serving.
Read Also: Reser’s Deviled Egg Potato Salad
Ingredients For Healthy Pasta Salad
- Pasta Obviously. On that below.
- Firm Veggies Asparagus, green beans, snap peas, broccoli that get softened within a few minutes of cooking.
- Tomatoes I highly recommend not to skip tomatoes. Maximum you can replace them with 1 long English cucumber. Tomatoes add so much juice making this pasta salad healthy without loads of extra pasta salad dressing.
- Cheese Soft cheese like feta or goat cheese. Warm pasta melts it so well. But even freshly grated Parmesan cheese is tasty.
- Pickled stuff Pitted Kalamata or green olives. Pickled asparagus, dill pickles, roasted red pepper, beets and any veggies would be good.
- Olive oil Quality extra virgin olive oil is the best for the salad. Here are 3 oils I mainly use.
This healthy summer pasta salad looks kind of Greek salad. And vegetarian.
Cold Pasta Salad Recipes You Need To Try This Summer
Cold pasta salads are perfect for picnics, potlucks, and parties. Quite fast and easy to put together, pasta salads can also be served as a tasty entrée or side for lunch or dinner. Theyre packed with a colorful mix of veggies, homemade dressings and cold pastas.
In todays post, I have rounded up some of the Best Cold Pasta Salad Recipes. These recipes are all from top food bloggers and I have personally tried some of the recipes in the list.
I hope it will be handy for you to have all these recipes in one place, you can never have enough ideas when it comes to cold pasta recipes All you have to do is decide Which one should I give a go today?
Because who doesnt love pasta salad?
Also Check: Chicken Salad Sandwich At Arby’s
Easy Cold Pasta Recipes
I can eat pasta just about any way someone wants to make it. However, theres something about cold pasta recipes that makes my mouth water.
Dont get me wrong I love warm pasta spaghetti, ravioli, lasagna, fettuccine. Its all delicious to me.
Want to save this recipe? Enter your email below and we’ll send the recipe straight to your inbox!
When its warm out, though, I find myself making more and more cold pasta.
Whether Im making a box of Suddenly Salad pasta salad or a homemade orange orzo salad, I get equally excited.
It seems like cold pasta is just so flavorful and zesty. Thats not always the case, of course.
Some of the options on this list are spicy or savory, but theyre not any less robust or tasty.
Just remember: Although many of these salads are quick and easy to make, most of them taste better after spending some time in the fridge, so plan accordingly.
What Other Readers Say About This Chicken Pasta Salad
This was so good and the perfect lunch. Changes: I added black olives, cucumber and matchstick carrots. I forgot to add the basil and it was fine without it. Maureen
Just made this chicken pasta salad for our dinner. Will definitely make it again. Perfect for summer. Added some fire roasted corn and served the dressing on the side with croutons. Nancy
Delicious! Husband loved it! Will be making it again! Laura
The boys ate three plates each, this salad is a keeper! Deja
Easy, healthy and cheap recipe delicious! Added extra lemon juice and a touch of balsamic in the end. Will definitely be making this chicken salad again! Jamie
You May Like: Who Made The Potatoe Salad Free Movie
A Healthy Summer Side Dish For Any Bbq Or Cookout
This easy pasta salad is a staple during the summer months, but if you ask me, it should be a staple year-round! Pasta, veggies, tons of flavor with no-fuss? It’s perfect not only as a dinner side dish, but makes a killer lunch that doesn’t need to be reheated! Meal prepping win! Adult and kid-friendly, you can please everyone since it’s…
*If you can’t get the tri-colored rotini, you can use a plain gluten-free rotini.
Tips For This Italian Pasta Salad Recipe
- I love making this salad with whole wheat pasta. Its hearty, healthy and most people dont even notice the difference!
- You can use your favorite pasta shape I recommend either rotini, penne or spiral. Using tricolor rotini is an easy way to add even more color to your pasta salads.
- Be careful you dont overcook pasta for cold pasta salad. You want the pasta to have a little bite to it and you dont want the noodles to fall apart in your salad.
- Be sure to let the pasta cool before adding the other ingredients because you dont want to warm the veggies and cheese.
- Chop the vegetables into small pieces so that you get a little bit of everything when you take a bite!
Also Check: Chicken Salad Chick Rome Ga
Tips To Consider While Making This Chicken Pasta Salad
- To make this recipe gluten-free, use gluten-free pasta instead of whole grain or white pasta.
- Keep it vegetarian by skipping on the chicken.
- You may add some chopped spinach instead of arugula
- Add more fresh herbs like oregano or thyme
We love this easy to make chicken pasta salad recipe and we hope you do as well. Leave us some feedback in the comments below and dont forget to share it on social media with your friends and family.
Should Pasta Salad Soak Overnight
Pasta salad do not need to be soaked overnight. The whole idea behind soaking pasta in the dressing overnight is to allow the dressing to soak in really week into the pasta and thus enhance the flavor. This step is truly not necessary but you may do so. The pasta salad may need some additional dressing the following day if it gets somewhat dry.
Let us know what you think of this Mediterranean Pasta Salad in the comment section below. Also, dont forget to rate it and share it with friends and family.
Read Also: I Need A Recipe For Potato Salad
The Ultimate Easy Pasta Salad
There are a lot of pasta salads out there, but heres why you should memorize this one: The dressing is easily made from things already in your pantry . Plus, theres no mayo to worry about sitting out at a picnic or potluck.
This recipe is based on a formula that you can easily adapt to your favorite mix-ins. Dont like olives? Add sun-dried tomatoes. Use feta instead of mozzarella. My favorite thing, though? From start-to-finish, this whole recipe only takes 30 minutes to pull together. Its perfect for last-minute get togethers or for a quick lunch to eat throughout the week.
How To Make This Simple Pasta Salad
This chicken pasta salad recipe is super easy to make. Its ready in under 20 minutes from start to finish. Thats great, especially when you know you can keep this pasta salad in the refrigerator for up to 3 days! We used rotisserie chicken to make the pasta salad, but feel free to roast or grill chicken breasts on your own, or use chicken leftovers you have in your fridge. Simply throw all the ingredients together in a large salad bowl and make the vinaigrette-style dressing.
You May Like: 72 Inch Sandwich Salad Prep Refrigerator
Recipe Tips And Variations
- Yield: This recipe makes at least 12 servings.
- Storage: Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- Make ahead: The Italian salad dressing can be made up to 3 days in advance. Store covered in the refrigerator. The pasta can be cooked, drained, rinsed, and cooled up to 1 day in advance. The vegetables can be prepped the day before and stored separately in the refrigerator.
- More mix-ins: Get creative with diced cucumbers, cubes of cheese, sliced salami, a can of olives, or your favorite fresh herbs.
- Make the vinaigrette your own: Substitute balsamic vinegar for the red wine vinegar or add a pinch of red pepper flakes.
Why This Will Be Your New
This salad has so many great layers of flavor and texture! Were talkin:
â¢ Italian vibes from the pepperoni and fresh mozzarella.
â¢ Freshness and crunch from the cucumbers, plus juicy bursts from the tomatoes and an extra flavor-pop from a handful of finely diced red onion.
â¢ All draped in an easy, zesty, homemade Italian dressing.
â¢ And of course, its a rotini pasta salad rotini is the absolute perfect pasta shape to capture all the flavorful bits. Plus, those fun spirals are a delicious, chewy counterpoint to the crunchy veggies and creamy, soft mozzarella!
Yep â this definitely has big, bold classic Italian Pasta Salad flavors, and so many great textures. No wonder these types of salads are always a favorite at picnics and potlucks!
But maybe even better yet???
This version is so much healthier, too!
I specifically developed this recipe for my son, who adores Italian pasta salad with pepperoni, mozzarella and allllll the goodies. But hes also an athlete and wanted me to make him a version he wouldnt have to regret later. A version with fewer naughty fats and fewer empty carbs.
This is for him and for you! For anybody who wants a BETTER pasta salad!
A few simple tweaks and updates are the key!
Also Check: Reser’s Garden Pasta Salad
Serving And Storing Pasta Salad
I love that this salad pairs well with just about any protein. Its delicious served with my grilled apple cider vinegar chicken. I think the flavors go really well together. Its also a perfect side for cookouts and potlucks.
To make it in advance: You can prep the salad the night before and let it chill in the fridge until serving.
To store leftovers: Store any leftovers in an airtight container for 3-4 days in the refrigerator.
Easy Pasta Salad Recipe
This is a cold pasta salad, which means its perfect for summer. I also love that it can be made up to a day in advance, so if you are planning a summer get together you can check this off the list a day ahead.
And lets not forget the main reason this is perfect for summer all those colorful garden veggies . Its such a great way to use up the abundance of veggies in season from either your garden, the farmers market or the grocery store.
Even though it uses a bottle of dressing, Id still consider this one of the best pasta salads. Maybe its because its one of those sides that was always there in the summer growing up but it will always be one of my favorites.
Recommended Reading: How To Make Yogurt Salad Dressing
Spicy Peanut Pasta Salad
Just because the pasta is cold doesnt mean that it cant set your mouth on fire.
If you enjoy meals that are full of heat, youll love this vegan-friendly spicy peanut pasta salad.
Its both slightly sweet, thanks to the peanut butter, brown sugar, and peanuts, and super spicy. Its also totally authentic.
How Do You Make A Healthy Cold Pasta Salad
For this pasta salad recipe, I used curly macaroni but you could use any type of pasta, even some leftover cooked pasta you may have. Cut a selection of both raw and cooked vegetables into bite sized pieces, then add to the pasta.
Next, combine the salad dressing ingredients into a small jar, mix well and drizzle over the salad, and toss well. Alternatively, you could use your favorite readymade salad dressing for this pasta salad.
Don’t Miss: How To Make Fried Taco Salad Shells
The Best Healthy Pasta Salad Recipes
Summer eating made fresh and delicious with the BEST healthy pasta salad recipes. These veggie-packed pastas will be your new favorite sides to bring to BBQs!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means that I make a small commission off items you purchase at no additional cost to you. Please read my policy page.
Its Sunday, its almost August and I hope youre still celebrating all things summer with plenty of BBQs + patio hangouts. I dont know about you, but Im a firm believer that no summer cookout is complete without a delicious pasta salad packed with a rainbow of produce.
Anyone else grow up with bowls of the mayo-filled goods? Everyone, right?
Im here to change that up with 18 of the BEST healthy pasta salad recipes that youll probably ever try. I asked my blogger friends to send me their #1 pasta salad recipes and let me tell you, I cant wait to work my way through this list. Weve got pretty much every type of noodle, every summer veggie, and so many incredible flavor combinations. There are a few gluten free options, too, but you can always swap the noodle for your go-to gf version.
My favorite about pasta salads? The delicious leftovers for weekday lunches! Truly cant beat it.
Take a scroll through these gorgeous recipes and get ready to enjoy the best of summer. Xoxo!