Theory: Go With The Grain
Tuna belongs on untoasted, whole wheat multigrain bread, and nothing else.
Yes, you grew up eating it on toasted white bread, but that was just one of many mistakes your parents made. Sweet, soft white bread can’t handle a salad as hefty as tuna. That’s why you had to toast it. Multigrain bread, on the other hand, was born for this job, toaster be damned.
Dietary Worth Of Tuna
Theres extra to tuna than meets the attention! They belong to a subgroup of the mackerel household referred to as Thunnini, which vary from the 1.8kg bullet tuna to a 684kg Atlantic bluefin tuna . Its in style as a recreation fish but in addition commercially fished, which has left some species on the point of extinction.
As pure hunters, these fish eat sardines, squid, and different sea creatures.
Tuna is offered in numerous types in international locations all around the globe. There was consideration drawn to tuna by heath teams over time as a result of mercury content material in tuna. Mercury is a substance thats toxic to people in giant portions and will get into the tuna as a result of theyre predators and eat smaller fish already contaminated with it, leading to tuna having the next stage than different seafood.
Its not simply excreted by the fish, and so ranges construct up. Sources of mercury within the sea might be naturally from volcanic eruptions or from industrial exercise, akin to coal burning.
Some species of tuna have the next mercury content material than others and needs to be averted by pregnant girls. Though some species may comprise the next quantity of mercury in a single portion than the beneficial weekly secure quantity, most tuna is completely suitable for eating.
Variations Of Tuna Salad:
Want a stronger flavoring or add in an extra crunch? This salad is so versatile and tastes delicious with extra ingredients. Have fun with this salad and make it personal every time you make it with these quick and simple variation ideas.
- Mayonnaise: If you are looking for an even light dish but still creamy, try it with greek or regular yogurt.
- Avocado: Mash up an avocado as creamy as you can and substitute the mayonnaise for it. Turn your tuna salad into a green salad!
- Fruit: Add in raisins, craisins, chopped up apples or sliced grapes for a fruity, fresh taste.
- Vegetables: Try it will shredded cabbage, diced up cucumbers or even shredded carrots.
- Nuts: Walnuts, pecans or almonds are a delicious crunch to this salad.
- Seasonings: Sprinkle some oregano, thyme or rosemary over top and blend in to the salad mix.
- Spicy: Red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper or curry powder adds a twist of spice that leaves a zing in your salad.
Recommended Reading: Wooden Salad Bowl Serving Set
Recipe Notes And Tips
- Cut the vegetables into small and evenly sized pieces. They will be easier to combine when you mix it and it will be easier to eat.
- Use fresh lemon juice rather than bottled. It has a much brighter and fresher flavor and makes all the difference!
- Chickpeas provide a good amount of protein and fiber and turn this salad into a fuller meal. You can substitute these with black beans or white beans if thats what you have.
This Mediterranean Tuna Salad has definitely made our favorites list. The flavors are amazing and so refreshing. Perfect quick summer salad. I like to make this for lunch or make it for quick family dinners.
Read Also: How To Make 7 Layer Salad
Healthy Tuna Salad Recipe
This healthy tuna salad recipe is made with no mayo, but its still full of flavor. Its dairy free, paleo friendly and super easy to make. Serve it as a sandwich or in a lettuce wrap for a great heart healthy lunch. Make about 8 servings.
This post contains affiliate links. I may earn commission from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. I will never recommend a product I dont use or trust.
Don’t Miss: Best Salad Greens For Keto
Ingredients Needed To Make Classic Tuna Salad
Classic tuna fish salad requires just a few simple ingredients:
- Tuna Fish: fresh or canned packed in water, drained
- Celery: gives texture and crunch
- Sweet Pickles: slices cut into relish + some of the pickle juice. To me, its the sweet pickles and the extra bit of pickle juice in this tuna salad that really sets off. The sweet pickles are the ones I make myself. They give this salad a sweet and tangy crunch along with the celery.
- Mayonnaise: Personally I love the taste of Sir Kensingtons mayonnaise, but use your favorite.
- Paprika: A light sprinkle of paprika on top for presentation purposes only.
How To Make Mediterranean Tuna Salad
It takes about 15 minutes to make this delicious summer salad!
- Add red bell pepper, red onion, cucumber, albacore tuna fish, garlic, chickpeas, black olives, and lemon zest in a large mixing bowl and mix.
- Drizzle olive oil, lemon juice, and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and serve cold. Enjoy!
Also Check: Fat Free Salad Dressing Brands
Read Also: Is Greek Salad Dressing Gluten Free
Welcome To Culinary Hill
Thats because we love to make recipes that are delicious and meticulously tested without sacrificing an ounce of their authenticity. This is modern home cooking with a Midwestern heart, the kind of food you ate when you were growing up which still has a special place in your heart.
On Culinary Hill, youll also learn the skills and tricks for ingredient prep, cooking ahead, menu planning, entertaining, making pantry staples, and using up leftovers. Every recipe on this site is developed, tested, and approved just for you.
How I Make Perfect Tuna Salad: Tips + Tricks
I have a few tricks up my sleeve to make what my family considers perfect tuna salad. I share them below and explain the why behind them in the video where I make this salad.
- 2 cans solid white albacore in water + 2 cans yellow fin packed in extra virgin olive oil
- finely diced boiled egg salted and peppered
- lemon pepper
- sweet & spicy relish
You May Like: Good Salad Dressing For Diet
Tuna Salad: A Simple Pleasure
I have memories as a child sitting atop Mt. Chocorua in New Hampshire with my camp friends after a days climb. Lunch was always oranges and tuna or peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. And for dessert? Well, lets just say a Hershey bar never tasted so good!
And now, in these times, that sandwich brings just as much pleasure . Spare me the bells and whistles Ill get to them in a minute.
Right now, a classic tuna salad sandwich is all Im after. That means canned tuna, mayo, celery, lemon juice, and if you like, red onion. Period. Slather it on some good bread and Im that happy camper again. In fact, Im taking my sandwich out to the back porch to eat in the sunshine.
How To Make Tuna Salad Tastier
Its not just the sides that can make your sandwiches taste better there are a few different ways you can mix up your tuna salad as well! If youre looking for something new to try, here are some great tips and tricks Id like to share.
The first tip is to use oil-packed tuna instead of water-packed tuna. This is because oil-packed tuna has more flavor due to the added fat content. The next tip is to add in some dried cranberries, which are an ingredient you can use when making your own salad dressing. These are also great for adding additional flavors that enhance the taste of your sandwich!
Recommended Reading: Low Fat Vegan Salad Dressing
Recommended Reading: Salad Diet To Lose 10 Pounds In A Week
Recipe Tips And Variations
- Yield: This recipe makes about 4 cups of tuna salad, enough for 6 sandwiches .
- Storage: Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- Mayo-free: Instead of mayonnaise, try making the dressing with plain yogurt or whipped silken tofu. You can also add lemon vinaigrette .
- More mix-ins: Add a small amount of diced apple , a handful of thawed peas, or a couple of chopped hard-boiled eggs to your tuna salad.
- Lettuce wraps: Tuna salad is delicious wrapped in lettuce leaves or piled on a bed of lettuce.
- Tuna pasta salad: Make a tasty tuna pasta salad by adding cooked macaroni, rotini, or your other favorite small pasta.
- Stuffed tomatoes: Hollow out juicy tomatoes and fill with tuna salad for an old-fashioned, and super-delicious, lunch entrée.
- Ahi Tuna Salad: Is the Ahi tuna looking fabulous at the fish market, or have you got an extra bit of ahi tuna from last nights dinner? Splurge and make tuna salad with it. Cook it through, then flake it up in this recipe.
How To Make Tuna Salad
To get started, youll need to drain your tuna. After cutting the lid with a can opener, press the lid against the tuna and tilt the can to drain all the liquid out over a sink. Remove the lid and place the tuna in a medium sized bowl.
Then, add the mayonnaise, celery, red onion, parsley, and dijon mustard to the bowl. Use a fork to mix everything together, while breaking up any large pieces of tuna. Season with salt and pepper to taste and thats it!
Read Also: Ambrosia Salad Recipe With Fruit Cocktail
Why Youll Love This Recipe
- Simplicity: Its my go-to recipe when I need a quick and easy lunch during the workweek.
- Make-Ahead: For best results, make this recipe ahead. Tuna salad is always better after the flavors of the ingredients have time to meld together in the refrigerator overnight.
- Few Ingredients: Just open a can of tuna, drain, chop, and stir all the goodness together.
- Versatility: can be used in a sandwich, wrap, or served as an appetizer on crackers.
Making And Freezing Tuna Salad
Freezing tuna salad is an ideal way to keep your salad tasting great for a more extended time, whether you use canned or fresh tuna. However, some recipes freeze better than others, and this is one of our favorites.
- Freezer bag
Open the canned tuna and drain all the liquid into the sink. Slice the avocado in two, remove the seed, and spoon out the inside.
Combine the tuna and avocado in a bowl using a fork to mash the two ingredients together, and then add the seasonings, lemon juice, and salt and black pepper to taste.
Stir everything together, and then scoop the salad into a freezer bag or freezer-safe container. Write the date and name on the top and place it in the freezer for no more than two months for the best flavor and prevent freezer burn.
Freezing whole avocados is also a possibility if you want to use them later but mashing them in a puree and freezing individual portions in ice cube trays is even better.
If youre wondering how to thaw frozen tuna salad, take it out of the freezer the day before you plan on eating it and set it in the refrigerator overnight. Stir the salad to restore the consistency and serve it on bread, crackers, salad, or in a tortilla wrap.
There are so many uses for tuna salad that its hard not to keep a batch on hand at all times.
Its a creamy condiment for spreading on crackers or bread and a healthy side dish to complement any meal. Luckily for tuna salad-lovers, this dish holds up well in the freezer to extend its shelf life.
Read Also: How To Cook Tuna For Tuna Salad
Why I Love Healthy Tuna Salad Recipe
Just before Marc and I went to Thailand, we took the train to Almaty. It was a long ride. We needed food, but I wanted to be careful not to bring anything that would spoil.
This no mayo tuna salad was the perfect option protein to keep us full and an oil-based dressing to bring the flavor. Plus, it stayed pretty cold in a our makeshift cooler . Were so classy when we take the train.
There really isnt much else to say about this. Its just healthy tuna salad without mayo, which is very similar to my chicken salad without mayo, and its just as delicious.
More tuna recipes:tuna cakes
How To Make Tuna Salad:
Special Tip: If youre looking for healthy ideas for tuna salad recipes, try serving this low calorie tuna salad over greens, or on an open faced sandwich. We also love this low calorie tuna salad recipe over cucumber rounds, or apple slices .
In the next section you will find a recipe card for this tuna recipe. There you can find measurements, a how to guide and more Best of all, you can share this recipe card!
Up next, a sharable recipe card for healthy tuna salad recipes. You can email to friends and share on your Pintrest boards.
Read Also: 2n1 Salad Bar And Grill
Swaps And Suggestions For Tuna Salad
Im strictly a mayo kind of gal, but if you prefer Miracle Whip or light mayo, go for it. Ive never tried it with yogurt, but Greek yogurt might work, especially if you add a little lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
To toast or not, its up to you, if you’re turning this into a sandwich. Sometimes, Im in a toasty mood and crave a little crunch, and sometimes I just want the comfort of soft bread.
How Do I Keep Tuna Salad From Being Dry
To prevent your tuna salad from being dry, youll need to stir in at least one tablespoon mayo per one can of tuna. After mixing in the rest of your ingredients, taste the salad. If you want it creamier, stir in another tablespoon or two of mayo. A squeeze of lemon juice also adds moisture.
For a lighter salad, replace the mayo with yogurt. Or, for a looser, salad, opt for olive oil.
You May Like: Wendy’s Taco Salad Carbs
Do I Have To Rinse The Tuna
This is something we always did in the pizzeria and how I was raised. Rinsing it helped get rid of the liquids it was packed in.
The most critical thing is making sure the liquid is pressed out with it. If not, youll end up with watery tuna fish after a day or two in the fridge.
What’s The Best Tuna To Use
Any can or jar of tuna will work in a sandwich. Just make sure you drain the water or oil before mixing with the ingredients for tuna salad.
I prefer using water-packed tuna in tuna salad, because Im already adding mayonnaise to the recipe. I save oil-packed tuna for dishes where the oil matters a bit more, such as in this Salad Nicoise, because oil-packed tuna is richer than water-packed tuna.
That being said, tuna salad is no time to get pickyjust use what you have on hand.
Also Check: Good Seasons Salad Dressing Bottle
More Tuna Salad Ideas
- Egg: Growing up, my mom would often make us tuna salad with egg. You can do this by mixing some chopped hard boiled egg into your tuna salad. Its like a tuna salad and egg salad in one, and it is delicious! Plus you get even more satiating protein when you add hard boiled eggs to your tuna sandwich.
- Lemon Juice: Lemon juice is a classic tuna salad ingredient. It brightens up the flavor of tuna salad.
- Mustard: Do you like your tuna salad with Dijon mustard or yellow mustard? Mustard is another way to add a different flavor dimension to your tuna fish.
- Herbs: Fresh herbs are a great way to change up the flavor of tuna salad. Try parsley, dill or chives.
- Avocado: Avocado can act as a binder and replace the mayo or Greek yogurt in tuna salad. Its a great way to add healthy fat and flavor! Using avocado instead of mayo or Greek yogurt makes dairy-free tuna salad.
- Vegetables: Try adding finely chopped crunchy veggies such as carrots, bell pepper or cucumber for extra crunch and to add more nutrition to your tuna salad.
- Apple: Chopped apple adds a surprisingly delicious sweet twist to this tuna recipe.
- Chickpeas: Either mashed or coarsely chopped, chickpeas can help to stretch your tuna fish so you can use less tuna and get more tuna salad. Chickpeas are a great source of vegetarian protein.
- Capers: Capers add a salty, briny flavor to tuna salad.
Questions Or Comments About A Recipe
If you have questions or feedback about a recipe, the best place to say something is on the post. That way everyone can see and benefit from our interactions. I love answering reader questions!
However, I dont have any expertise in specialty diets and Im not a registered dietician. I provide nutrition information within the recipe card, but those are generated by a program and may vary.
Also Check: Low Sodium Salad Dressing Store Bought