Gather Your Salad Dressing Ingredients:
You can directly add these to the salad bowl with the strained cucumbers and toss. Simple!
Grate a little ginger into the salad.
Grate a little garlic into the bowl.
For a little heat- add Red chili paste or sriracha.
Mix it all up and adjust salt and spice level to your liking.
The Asian Cucumber Salad will last 3 days in the fridge- if it makes it that long!
Can I Freeze Cucumber Salad
Unfortunately, this recipe does not freeze well. Fresh cucumbers and sour cream are both poor freezing candidates.
Sour cream will become grainy in texture and often separates after thawing. The cucumbers will become mushy and watery after freezing. Not a great look for a fresh and creamy cucumber salad, right?!
While you can freeze sliced cucumbers for later use, theyre only good for purees, smoothies, or cooked dishes after having been frozen. Fresh veggies dont usually freeze and thaw and still taste and feel like fresh veggies afterward.
The good news is these creamy cucumbers do great in the fridge for up to 4 days.
How To Store This Salad
You can store this salad in the refrigerator, tightly covered with plastic wrap or in an airtight container, for about 3 days.
It’s best to eat is sooner rather than later though because the cucumbers will lose their crispness as they sit. So if you plan on making this ahead of time, prepare the Cucumber Pasta Salad only a day or so in advance and then give it a good stir before serving.
You May Like: Crispy Chicken Salad Chick Fil A
How To Cut A Mango:
Why We Love This Creamy Cucumber Salad
This cucumber salad has been on the menu for more than 30 years. Seriously. When I was a pre-teen, my family would ask me to make this salad for dinner. It was simple enough for 8-year-old me to make yet it disappeared fast from the dinner table.
- The combination of crunchy cucumber slices with a creamy dressing is classic.
- We add a generous helping of black pepper, which makes the salad.
- No sugar. Adding sweetener to cucumber salad will make it soggy and weirdly sweet.
- Two options a lighter tangier version with yogurt and a little mayo or a dairy-free choice. Both are delicious!
Also Check: What Is The Best Salad Dressing For High Cholesterol
Simply Dressed Cucumber & Mint Salad
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Made with crunchy zebra-striped peeled cucumbers, sweet red onions, and a white balsamic vinaigrette, this salad is light, bright, and perfect for warm summer days. It is my go-to cucumber salad, and once you try it, youll understand why.
If you dont have a go-to cucumber salad in your repertoire or even if you do you must give this recipe a try. It comes from Joshua McFaddens Six Seasons, one of my favorites, and with one bite, youll understand why: its crisp and cool, loaded with herbs, perfectly spicy with a nice acidic bite. Its truly one of the best summer salad recipes I make.
Overall its a simple salad, but the key to success with this salad is following the method, which most critically calls for salting the cucumbers and letting them drain for 30 minutes before dressing.
This, I would argue, is the difference between making a good and a great cucumber salad, regardless of the seasonings you are using. As Alice Waters notes in Chez Panisse Vegetables:
Cucumbers dressed in advance or used in a sauce may give up too much water and dilute the flavor of the dish. To avoid this, lightly salt the prepared cucumbers, let them sit in a strainer for 10 minutes, wrap them in a clean kitchen towel, and wring out the excess moisture.
How To Make Creamy Cucumber Salad
This creamy cucumber salad starts with fresh crisp cucumbers.
Refrigerate one hour before serving. Garnish with chopped dill.
TIP: While its optional, scraping out the seeds of the cucumbers will keep the salad from getting watery. If using smaller cucumbers, its not necessary to scrape them.
Don’t Miss: How Many Calories In An Egg Salad Sandwich
Easy Cucumber Salad Recipe
This recipe is for when you have found yourself googling: How do you use a lot of cucumbers? this summer. Throwing together this Easy Cucumber Salad with ALL THE HERBS is just the answer! This recipe is light, refreshing and a great side salad to accompany all of your grilling mains, seafood or chicken dishes this summer! And its a great way to use up all those fresh herbs you have too!
This recipe works with either farm fresh large cucumbers you find in the summer, or if youre craving a refreshing side it can also work with store-bought English hot house cucumbers. If you are using extra large cucumbers from your garden or the farm feel free to scoop out the seeds and slice in half moon shapes.
Which Cucumbers To Use
I recommend English cucumbers as theyre larger, sweeter and have slightly thinner skin. But you could certainly use regular cucumbers in this recipe as well.
Cucumber salad is the perfect summer salad recipe and great for all your outdoor barbecues and festivities. You can even make it a few days ahead as itll last for 2-3 days in the fridge. Enjoy!
Read Also: Jersey Mike’s Chicken Salad
To Seed Or Not To Seed Cucumbers
With cucumbers you can either seed them or not. Some varieties have thicker seeds that can be a little harder to digest or a bit bitter if the cucumber is on the mature side.
There is a lot of flavor right around the seed, so if the cucumber’s seeds are still small and tender, you can easily leave them in.
How To Make Cucumber Salad
This is one of the easiest salad recipes. Here’s how you’ll make it:
Full recipe in the recipe card below.
Also Check: Chicken Salad Chick Olivia’s Old South
What Is A Burpless Cucumber
Cucumbers contain a compound called cucurbitacin, which in nature prevents animals and pests from eating and preying on the fruits of the cucumber plant. This same compound causes humans to burp after eating cucumbers, but with many centuries of adaptation on our end to be able to digest these crunchy fruits, the burping, if any, should be mild. Luckily, many Asian and American burpless cucumbers have low or no cucurbitacin .
Other members of the melon family can also cause the same unwelcomed reaction in humans.
Pick The Right Cucumber
Use English cucumbers for this salad recipe. These long and slender gourds can grow to a foot long, perfect for making a big batch. I like to use them because their skins are tender, no peeling required. Keeping the skin on helps retain the crisp texture better during the marination process, past several days. Also, the seeds are very small and not pulpy, so you dont have to remove them.
Recommended Reading: How To Make 7 Layer Salad
Tips For Making The Best Creamy Cucumber Salad
While this is a simple salad, we’ve learned a few tricks over the years to make it the best.
Tips For Making Cucumber Salad
- Turn the vinegar marinated cucumbers into a colorful summertime salad by adding cherry tomatoes or sliced tomatoes, some red onions and a splash of olive oil.
- You could also add green bell pepper, red or yellow peppers, slices of squash, or fresh herbs to the mix. Fresh basil or fresh dill add a burst of flavor. There is no wrong way to dress up this salad.
- Any kind of onion will work for this cucumber salad recipe. I like red or purple onion for the color, but any onion you have on hand is great.
- You can make this recipe right before serving or ahead of time to let the cucumbers have longer to marinate. To do this, divide the cucumbers into a couple of quart jars and pour the vinegar mixture over the top instead of putting in Ziploc bags . This makes it easier for snacking right out of the jar.
- You can store these vinegar marinated cucumbers in your fridge in a jar or air-tight container for up to 3 days. Any longer than that and the cucumbers will lose their crisp-ness and become limp. There is also a slight risk for microbes forming after 3 days, but I know some people keep them in their fridge and continue to eat them for up to a week without any issues.
Recommended Reading: Panera Napa Almond Chicken Salad
How To Make This Cucumber Salad
The great thing about this salad is that its quick and easy it only takes 20 minutes to make. So heres how you make it:
- Slice the cucumber. If you dont already have a mandoline, I highly recommend one. Not only because it makes this salad easy breezy, but its an all-around kitchen time-saver when you need to slice things.
- Sprinkle with salt. After you slice your cucumber, which literally takes one minute, sprinkle on a little salt to help pull the water and moisture out of the cucumber. Cucumbers are moisture-rich, which makes them a great cooling vegetable, but you also dont want a soggy salad.
- Wash and drain the cucumber. Once your cucumbers have mixed with the salt for a bit, you should notice some liquid dripping out the bottom of your colander. Wash and drain the cucumbers
- Mix the salad together. After your cucumbers have drained, add them to a salad bowl along with some thinly sliced red onion , sliced scallion and fresh dill.
- Add the dressing. Once everything is in your salad bowl, all thats left is to add the dressing which is a simple combinations of vinegar and honey. Thats it.
Easy Cucumber Salad With Lots Of Herbs
When your garden is overrun with cucumbers this summer, this is the salad to make! Or, when you just are really in need of a refreshing, flavor-packed, and super simple salad to throw together. This Easy Cucumber Salad with Herbs uses all of the fresh herbs and features the fresh, cool cumber to complement any dish youre serving up this summer
Also Check: How To Make Deviled Egg Salad
How To Make Cucumber Pasta Salad
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until tender, about 6 to 10 minutes . Drain and rinse well under cold water.
2. In the meantime, slice the cucumbers and onion, and chop the dill.
3. In a large mixing bowl, place the pasta, cucumbers, dill, and vegan mayo. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir everything well and serve.
How To Make Spicy Crispy Chickpeas For Cucumber Avocado Salad
You need either homecooked or canned chickpeas. Drain them, rinse them, drain them well well well and then lay them out on paper towel and dab with another piece of paper towel to make them super dry.
The wetter the chickpeas, the softer they will be when you roast them. The dryer, the crispier.
Add your favorite spices to a bowl. To keep it super easy you could buy ready made Cajun Seasoning and just add a good amount to the bowl. If youre more like me and already have all the spices of the world in your cupboard you might as well make your own mix.
Either way, add a bit of oil to the spices until you reach a creamy sticky consistency that will adhere to your chickpeas. Add those in and toss well until they are all coated.
Roast in the oven until crispy and tadaaaaa. You can even eat those as a snack. Trust me though, they are best used for your Cucumber Avocado Salad. The crunchy cucumber and creamy avocado are simply amazing with this!
Also Check: 2n1 Salad Bar And Grill
More Fresh Side Dishes
- 5-Minute Caprese Salad This easy Caprese Salad with Cherry Tomatoes is only 3 easy ingredients and can be made in 5 minutes . A bright and fresh side dish that is perfect for summer!
- Asian Cucumber Salad: Another fresh, cucumber salad with an Asian twist! A great, low-calorie side dish.
- Light Greek Pasta Salad: Light Greek Pasta Salad a fresh, flavorful pasta salad that is perfect for lunch, dinner, potlucks, or BBQs! Great as a main dish OR a side dish!
- Wedge Salad This crisp Wedge Salad is a simple, yet classic, recipe we love. With only a few ingredients, it is easy to make and the presentation is lovely.
Cucumber Feta Salad Coming In Strong For The Last Week Of Summer Lets Go
I know there are pumpkin and apple things popping up all over social media but like I said before, Im not quite ready to let go of summer yet. This Cucumber Feta Salad has been on our menu the last few weeks while Ive been testing it. Its a perfect side salad for any Mediterranean dinner or serve it up as a quasi-salsa/topping on top of grilled steak, chicken or fish. Its bright and light and briny and perfect. I made it on Sunday over a side of salmon literally the definition of perfection.
Read Also: Where To Buy Marzetti Salad Dressing
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
If you’re looking for a summery side salad, this easy cucumber salad might be exactly what you need. Made with onions, mayonnaise, and mint, it’s packed with amazing flavors, but made in less than 15 minutes.
I love this salad recipe because it’s so simple, yet delicious, and it’s always a popular side dish. It’s easy to customize to suit your preferences, and both kids and adults will enjoy it.
What Kind Of Cucumbers Are Best For Cucumber Salad
You can feel free to use whatever kind of cucumbers you’d like in this recipe. Many people prefer English cucumbers in salads, since they tend to be sweeter and have fewer seeds than regular cucumbers. You can also use Persian cucumbers, which are smaller and tend to be sweeter and crunchier than the regular variety.
You May Like: Portmeirion Botanic Garden Salad Plates
How To Make The Best Cucumber Salad
The secret to this cucumber salad recipe is salting the cucumbers. The salt makes the cucumbers taste better and get rid of excess water, which can dilute the dressing.
You see, cucumbers are made mostly of water. By salting them, we draw out excess water before tossing with the dressing. Weve done this in other recipes remember our mayonnaise-free coleslaw salad and this creamy cucumber salad made with Greek yogurt?
Salting the cucumbers makes the dressing tasty, not watered down. It also makes the cucumbers taste more like cucumbers. It intensifies their flavor. The salting process takes about 30 minutes and is well worth it.
Heres how we do it: Slice cucumbers into thin coins we use our mandoline slicer, but a knife works, too. Toss the cucumber coins with salt then let them sit in a colander we set ours in the sink for 30 minutes.
After 30 minutes, rinse the cucumbers with cold water. Rinsing gets rid of any excess salt so that the salad wont be too salty. Finally, squeeze them dry by adding them to a clean dishcloth and squeezing.
When you have salted, rinsed and squeezed cucumbers, its time to make the salad. The dressing is simple and made with vinegar, mustard, and a little bit of sugar for balance. To finish, add a handful of sliced red onion. Easy! You can enjoy the salad straight away, but it does get better after an hour in the fridge.
Refreshing Summer Cucumber Salad With Vinegar
Summer is officially here and Im looking forward to all of the upcoming potlucks! Mostly Im dreaming of all the side dishes. I love a good side dish more than a main most of the time. This summer cucumber and onion salad is one of the first recipes I came up with myself, I dont know why its taken me so long to share this with you. Its a great salad for picnics or potlucks. Some other easy and healthy dishes you can enjoy are: Feta Bruschetta Pasta Salad, Hawaiian Pasta Salad and Berry and Spinach Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette. But I recommend my Summer Cucumber Salad with Vinegar the most because I always come home with an empty bowl!
This Cucumber Salad is super simple to make and very healthy. There is no cooking involved just a few preparations here and there. All you need is to cut up a few ingredients, and you have your instant salad.
You can enjoy it as is, or if you are grilling something, it goes really well with all kind of meats. This is our favourite salad especially when the grilling season comes around. Simply toss it with a sweet and tangy vinaigrette, or some olive or sesame oil.
Don’t Miss: Pottery Barn Thanksgiving Salad Plates