How To Make A Really Great Chicken Salad Sandwich
Now that you know how to make great chicken salad, youre ready to make a great chicken salad sandwich. Grab some good breada good, sturdy whole grain bread always feels like the right bread for chicken salad to usand a little arugula for peppery bite and youll be ready to go! Heres how to make it:
Chicken Salad With Grapes Recipe
Dinner 5 mins
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This Chicken Salad with Grapes Recipe makes a quick, delicious meal! It also has roasted nuts for the best chicken salad recipe and makes a great chicken salad sandwich too!
Chicken salad has to be one of the most perfect dishes for an easy meal at home or to take to a picnic or potluck. This recipe is absolutely full of amazing flavor, is simple to make and is positively the best chicken salad Ive ever eaten!
I think this chicken salad recipe is such a delicious one because the generous amount of chicken is combined with fruit and toasted pecans for a savory crunch and flavor thats a hit every time! Its a recipe that I turn to time and time again for family meals, picnics, and parties. And you just have to try this for the best chicken salad sandwich ever!
What Makes It So Delicious
So many folks have made this salad and asked us in complete sincerity: What makes this chicken salad recipe so darn delicious?
Well, there are several reasons, we believe: Here are some of the main ones:
- Roasting the chicken ensures flavorful, juicy chicken for the salad. In a pinch, you could certainly use a rotisserie chicken from the supermarket.
- The addition of seedless grapes, almonds, and fresh dill are part of what makes this dish so wonderful.
- A mix of mayonnaise, Dijon, and lemon juice adds a freshness that is just so very delicious. It all adds up to the best chicken salad sandwich you can imagine!
Also Check: Where Can I Buy A Chicken Salad Chick Gift Card
Ingredients In Chicken Salad
- Use leftovers from last nights dinner or leftover rotisserie chicken or grilled chicken.
- To Make Chicken for chicken salad I like to use either poached chicken or baked chicken breasts or thighs.
- You can use canned chicken in a pinch but of course fresh is best when possible.
- Ensure the chicken is cooled and shred or chop the chicken into bite sized pieces.
- As this is a classic chicken salad recipe, Ive kept the additions to a minimum. Celery for crunch, green onions for flavor.
- This recipe can be made with a variety of nuts, veggies, and fruit for added flavor and texture.
- Chicken salad with grapes, avocado or dried cranberries is a favorite. Pecans or almonds pair well with this recipe.
- Mayonnaise is the base of this recipe and its simply seasoned.
- You can get creative and substitute some of the mayo for ranch dressing or your favorite salad dressing recipe.
- Create an Avocado Chicken Salad by replacing some of the mayonnaise with mashed avocado.
What Goes With Chicken Salad Get The Best Serving Suggestions Now
Chicken salad is a year-round favorite in my house, but I often find myself wanting to make it in the summer more than any other time of year. When I make chicken salad, however, I always have the same question: What goes with chicken salad?
Choosing sides to complement a dish like chicken salad can be difficult, but theres actually so many great options! Lets go through some of the best options, and then you can share your favorites with me!
Don’t Miss: How To Make Healthy Salad At Home
What Can You Serve With Dumplings
And while rice and steamed veggies make it a meal, there are lots of easy ways to make delicious dinners starring potstickers.
- Make a stir-fry with them.
- Serve them with an Asian-style slaw.
- Stir them into soup.
- Top a rice bowl with them.
- Make a pasta salad with them and your favorite Asian-style dressing.
What Kind Of Chicken Is Best For A Chicken Salad Sandwich
Recommended Reading: Panera Bread Greek Salad Dressing
To Make Chicken Salad With Grapes
Not only is this simple and easy, but it is so impressive to serve for guests while sitting on the deck sipping on an ice-cold glass of NESTEA® slightly sweet black iced tea!
Serve with bread, croissants, or over a bed of lettuce.
Pro tip: Toast the pecans in a small pan and let them cool before adding to the salad. Toasting nuts retain their crunch and expand their flavor!
Best Bread To Serve Chicken Salad On
You cant go wrong with a refreshing chicken salad sandwich but what bread is the best to put it on? I would say most commonly people like good old sliced white bread, but there is so much more out there.
When you are having a gathering of any sort, chicken salad finger sandwiches are always a great way to serve up a lite lunch.
You May Like: Does Taco Bell Still Have A Taco Salad
Tomatoes Cucumber And Bacon
Sliced fresh tomatoes and cucumber provide a simple yet refreshing twist to an already filling chicken salad sandwich. Bacon also adds a salty twist to it. Simply slice tomatoes and cucumber in equal thickness and place them into a bowl. Add in sliced cook bacon and mix. Dress with a drizzle of olive oil and white wine vinegar toss with the vegetables until the mixture is well combined.
Old Fashioned Chicken Salad Sandwich
Old Fashioned Chicken Salad Sandwiches! This classic comfort recipe is inspired by the one my grandma used to make when I was growing up. It includes chopped chicken, celery, boiled eggs, and pickle relish mixed in a mayonnaise/miracle whip dressing, but I also share some variations to try below if youre partial to nuts, grapes, or curry in your version.
This favorite meal from my childhood is always what I turn to when I need a little comfort Chicken Salad Sandwiches just cant be beat.
This dish takes me right back to my grandmothers kitchen table!
Recommended Reading: Burma Superstar Tea Leaf Salad
Pineapple Chicken Salad With Grapes
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Chicken Salad with Grapes is the perfect simple meal and a great twist on a classic Chicken Salad. Its flavorful with lots of texture and color.This easy salad can be made with leftover Oven Baked Chicken Breasts or rotisserie chicken!
Serve this as an easy weeknight meal with a tossed salad or make it ahead of time to enjoy for lunch throughout the week.
In partnership with Nestea
Chicken Salad Sandwich Ingredients
- Chicken cooked and shredded, youll need about 3 cups worth. Note: rotisserie chicken would work great here!
- Mayo I love mayo so I always use it in my chicken salad recipe, however, if youre looking to make a healthier chicken salad sandwich you can try substituting some plain greek yogurt for the mayo. I probably wouldnt do a complete swap, but maybe start with 1/2 cup mayo and 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt.
- Celery chopped. I seriously love celery, like love. If, on the other hand, you arent as big a fan as I am, you can reduce the amount you use.
- Grapes an icon ingredient to any chicken salad sandwich recipe! I use red grapes but you can use green grapes too.
- Cashews roughly chop the cashews. If youre watching your salt intake use unsalted cashews.
- Mrs. Dash seasoning this seasoning is what makes this recipe so amazing! Use it, and youll be hooked. Its what makes this the BEST chicken salad recipe!
- Celery salt because obviously I need another form of celery. Just kidding. The celery salt actually adds another layer of flavor. Note: this recipe isnt majorly celery tasting. Yeah, dont even worry. Its not like that at all.
- Salt & pepper for additional seasoning, to taste.
Also Check: Sugar Free Salad Dressing Walmart
Homemade Mayonnaise Adds More Freshness
If you really are in the mood to make this truly the BEST-EVER chicken saladmake your mayonnaise from scratch.
Theres nothing better than homemade classic mayonnaise .
Of course, good-quality store-bought mayonnaise will work just fine, but we absolutely LOVE making it from scratch! One thing to keep in mind, though, homemade mayo has raw egg in it, which could be an issue with the very young, the elderly, or anyone with a compromised immune system.
Its all about using fresh ingredients.
Fresh dill and parsley add a layer of flavor that we think puts this salad over the top.
If you cant get fresh, dried will work, just use half the amount that you would be using if fresh.
And its even better after it sits in the fridge for a few hours, or overnight! This chicken salad sandwich recipe is really about as good as they come!
I mean, just look how delicious this looks!
Wait until you taste it!! You and those around you will love it!
If you are looking for an easy chicken salad recipe that tastes like something youd get at an amazing restaurant, you need to look no further!
You can almost taste how good this is just by looking at it.
There is a reason this is hands down the most popular recipe on How To Feed a Loon!
What Goes With Chicken Salad 5 Delicious Ideas
What Side Dishes Go Great With Chicken Salad? 1. Mozzarella, Tomato, And Basil Stacks. This side dish looks absolutely stunning alongside a beautiful scoop of chicken salad. So long as you dont … 2. Cheese Crisps. 3. Roasted Veggies. 4. Spring Rolls. 5. Coleslaw Or Cucumber Salad.
Braised chicken, rotisserie chicken, canned chicken, shredded chicken, and just a plain old baked or grilled chicken breast are all a wonderful base to start the salad with. You may already have a family favorite or be open to new and bold flavors.
Also Check: Healthy Low Calorie Salad Dressing
How To Make The Dressing For A Chicken Salad Sandwich
Next up is the dressing. This chicken salad sandwich recipe calls for both mayo and plain Greek yogurt, but you could use all mayo or all Greek yogurt, or substitute sour cream for the Greek yogurt. The mayo adds a real creaminess and I recommend using it if you dont mind it.
An Easy Sandwich With Fruit & Nuts
- Chicken: Like a classic chicken salad recipe, you can use leftover chicken, rotisserie chicken or Crockpot Shredded Chicken for this recipe.
- Pineapple/Grapes: Fruit adds a bit of sweetness and a juicy tang to this recipe. Like in a Waldorf Salad, fruit lightens up a mayonnaise-based dressing.
- Nuts: Pecans add a bit of crunch . They can be replaced with walnuts or almonds if you prefer.
- Dressing: A mayonnaise-based dressing is flavored with a hint of curry powder. The addition of curry is amazing in a chicken salad with grapes!
- Other Delicious Additions: chopped red or green onions, sliced and quartered zucchini, shredded carrots, sliced water chestnuts, sesame seeds
Don’t Miss: How Do I Make A Caesar Salad
Pasta Salad Recipes You Might Like
To make fresh chicken instead of using store-bought rotisserie chicken:
- Use 1 pound skinless boneless chicken breast halves or tenderloins
- Add chicken to a large stockpot of salted, boiling water. Reduce heat to medium and simmer chicken at a low boil for 10-12 minutes, or until it is cooked through. Remove from water and place on a plate to cool. Cut the chicken into small cubes, then set aside to cool slightly while you gather and prep the remaining ingredients.
How Long Will It Last
As long as it is kept covered, pineapple chicken salad with grapes will last about a week in the fridge. It might need to be drained a little bit as the grapes will start to lose their plumpness. But all you have to do is refresh the flavors by adding some fresh, toasted pecans and some salt and pepper.
Recommended Reading: Jersey Mike’s Chicken Salad
Chicken Salad Croissant Sandwiches
Chicken Salad Croissant Sandwiches are filled with flavorful chicken salad stuffed between buttery, soft croissant rolls. These are delicious sandwiches we love to eat year round!
I believe everyone has their own special way to make chicken salad. The varieties are endless and definitely delicious. I like mine pretty simple, and without any nuts, like a lot of recipes have.
Today, Im sharing my favorite way to make it. My chicken salad is cool, refreshing and so flavorful. Its the perfect recipe for summer time! One of my favorite ways to enjoy it is between a soft buttery croissant.
These Chicken Salad Croissant Sandwiches are amazing. They make for a great summer lunch or dinner, but I make them year round because we love them so much!
My main advice is to prepare the chicken salad at least 4 to 6 hours in advance. Overnight is even better! That way the flavors have a chance to really develop. Itll be worth the wait. I promise.
LOVE SANDWICHES? HERE ARE MORE SANDWICH RECIPES YOU MAY LIKE:
Whats In Chicken Salad
Start with perfectly cooked chicken. You could use the meat from a store-bought rotisserie chicken, and save yourself some time, or you can just take ten minutes and make perfect poached chicken. Either way works! Our chicken salad recipelike mostis very forgiving. Even if youve got slightly dry chicken, all the mayo, mustard and fresh lemon juice will ensure a moist, delicious chicken salad. Heres what youll need to make our chicken salad recipe:
- Cooked chicken
- Lemon, both the juice and the zest!
- Pecans, optional
Also Check: How To Make A Tasty Salad
How To Cook Moist Chicken Breasts For Salads And Sandwiches
1. Start with completely defrosted chicken breasts. Never try to cook half-frozen breasts on the stove.
They wont cook evenly all the way through, and thats how you end up with raw insides and over-cooked outsides. Plus, if your meat is still frozen, its going to make the next step nearly impossible
2. Pound your chicken breasts to an even thickness. This is the secret to tender, moist chicken breasts! Meat that is all the same thickness is all going to cook at the same rate, so you arent going to get parts that are over-cooked and dried out.
Place your chicken breast smooth-side up between two layers of plastic wrap or in a large disposable plastic bag and go to town. Start with the thickest part of the meat and strike it, working outward until the breast is the same thickness all over.
3. Marinate or season your chicken breast before it goes on the heat. If youre marinating, nows the time for it. If the chicken is not being marinated, at the very least, salt and pepper that thing before putting it on the heat.
Even better, get creative and sprinkle on some of your favorite spices. Is it going in a Mexican salad? Use some taco seasoning. An Italian sandwich? A little basil and oregano would be perfection.
If at any time your chicken starts to brown too much, turn down the heat a bit and let it cook at a lower temperature.
Classic Chicken Salad Sandwich Recipe
These light yet filling classic chicken salad sandwiches are perfect for picnics, brunches, and teas!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my policies page for details.
I think the perfect picnic dish is a classic chicken salad sandwich. It’s light yet hearty, sweet and savory, pillowy and crunchy in every bite. And of course, it’s perfectly portable!
This is a recipe that I’ve been making and tweaking for years. I originally published this recipe on March 24, 2017. I had created the original recipe for Franz Bakery, and you can still find that recipe on their website.
Since then, I’ve continued making these delectable sandwiches over the years. I’ve now updated the recipe and instructions a bit, and added more helpful cooking tips to help you make the BEST chicken salad sandwiches ever!
Also Check: Who Made The Potatoe Salad Free Movie