The One Formula You Need To Make A Healthy Salad
Up your salad game with this step-by-step formula.
You don’t need a recipe to make a salad, just a basic formula. This formula helps you mix filling protein, satisfying whole grains and lots of low-calorie vegetables so your salad fills you up, instead of leaving you hungry an hour later.
Pictured recipe: Chopped Chicken & Sweet Potato Salad
Mix and match the categories using the amounts shown so you don’t get bored with your salads. Plan ahead and prep your protein, vegetables, and grains, or use what’s on hand in the fridge. Bonus points for using up vegetable scraps or leftover ingredients that would otherwise go to waste!
The Giant Co Partners With Restaurant Group For Co
WOWorks, the parent company of good-for-you restaurant brands Saladworks, Frutta Bowls, Garbanzo Mediterranean Fresh and The Simple Greek, is continuing its strong partnership with The GIANT Company BB #:103652 with plans to open four new locations which include two Saladworks and Frutta Bowls co-branded restaurant store-within-a-store locations.
Produce Blue Book
Apple Cider Vinegar Salad Dressing
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ Tbsp dijon mustard
- 3 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup or honey
- pinch of salt
DIRECTIONS: Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth. Pour into a mason jar and drizzle over salad. This dressing is best when served fresh. I recommend making it in smaller batches and serving the same day.
**Get My FREE Salad Dressing Recipes Guide: All six healthy salad dressing recipes in one easy-to-print format
Also Check: How Many Calories In An Egg Salad Sandwich
How To Make A Salad
- Wash your vegetables and fruit
- Chop vegetables and fruit into bite-sized pieces and add them to a large bowl
- Optionally: add something more filling like chickpeas, cheese, nuts, seeds, cooked quinoa, chicken, hard-boiled eggs or fish
- Add olive oil and vinegar or lemon juice or another healthy dressing of your choice
- Mix it all together, add salt and pepper to taste
Now lets get to the salad recipes.
Lentil Salad With Feta
Heres a top-notch lentil salad recipe to add to your arsenal, and man is it tasty. This fresh and healthy lentil salad is Mediterranean-style, mixed with fresh veggies, feta cheese and pistachios. Its a delicious way to add protein to a vegetarian meal as a side dish, or bring to work as a lunch throughout the week. You won’t be able to stop eating it! Or try: French Lentil Salad
Don’t Miss: Chicken Salad Chick E Gift Card
Can You Make Spinach Salad Ahead Of Time
Once tossed, it is best to enjoy salad the same day. Spinach wilts extremely fast.
Make Ahead: Refrigerate all salad ingredients in a bowl covered with plastic separately from the dressing for up to 2 days. Dressing lasts for up to 2 weeks in the fridge.
What if dressing solidifies in the fridge? Olive oil hardens when refrigerated. Just place the jar with the dressing in a bowl with hot water for 10 minutes or so. Always shake dressing before adding to salad.
Is Taco Salad Recipe Good For You
It depends on where you are finding it! Despite their perception as being healthy options, restaurant salads can have heavy dressings, contain a scant number of wholesome vegetables, and overdo it on the high-fat toppings. These often make salads a poorer nutritional choice than other items on the menu. Its deceptive!
- Making your own taco salad at home means that you can control the ingredients and portions to make it as wholesome as you choose.
- Unlike restaurant taco salads, this homemade version is loaded with nutritious ingredients. It is filling, the homemade dressing is low in fat and even high in protein. This salad also swaps the typical fried shell for baked tortilla strips. You have the same crunch, for a fraction of the calories!
Read Also: Chicken Salad Chick Rome Ga
How To Build Exciting Unboring Salads
The term salad doesnt just mean some lettuce drizzled with a dressing or vinaigrette. Instead, think of it as a meal that has multiple layers of flavor , texture , and color . Honestly, a salad is the most wonderful blank canvas to let your creativity run wild. So have fun with it. Heres a few ideas to get you started.
- Build layers of flavor. Start with a vegetable base, mix in seasonal ingredients, add filling protein, toss in some healthy fats, and drizzle a tasty dressing or sauce.
- Get creative with textures. Aim for a variety of textures with every bite it makes the salad more interesting! For example, start with a soft spinach base, then toss it with crisp bell pepper, juicy tomatoes, and crunchy nuts and seeds.
- Make your salad colorful. While green may form the base of your salad, remember that nutrient variety comes from color variety. So try to make your salad as vibrant as can be.The more color the better!
Healthy Homemade Salad Dressings Are Easy To Make And Can Add Great Flavor To Your Go
When youre looking to pack a light lunch or prepare a healthy side at dinnertime, green salads are go-to. Leafy greens are full of vitamins and fiber and all the veggies and protein we mix are great, too. But where we really seem to drop the ball nutritionally and cooking-wise is with dressing. Store-bought salad dressings are major culprits when it comes to added sugar and can be full of less-than-good-for-you additives. So why not bypass the bottle of store-bought dressing and learn how to make healthy salad dressing at home. Homemade salad dressing is so easy to make and can really help you level-up your regular salads.
Don’t Miss: Market Salad At Chick Fil A
Taco Salad Recipe Variations
Like all salad recipes, this one is great to play with. Swap in the veggies you have on hand or adjust the toppings to make something you really love. Here are some suggestions:
- Switch the sauce. Any of the 3 versions of my cilantro lime dressing would work here. Omit the avocado and serve it as a vinaigrette, or use Greek yogurt instead of the avocado to make it creamy. You could also skip this dressing entirely and finish the salad with tomatillo salsa or chipotle sauce.
- Change up the creamy component. I love avocado here, but guacamole is just as good. Alternatively, try adding crumbled Cotija or grated cheddar cheese, cashew sour cream, or Greek yogurt!
- Make it fruity. Substitute mango or pineapple salsa for the pico, or use both!
- Vary the veggies. Raw or sautéed bell pepper, charred poblano, corn, or green onions would all be great additions.
- Make it a burrito bowl! Reduce the lettuce by half and add a scoop of cilantro lime rice to the bottom of your bowl.
What’s The Healthiest Salad Dressing
Often a light vinaigrette or olive oil and vinegar-based salad dressing is the healthiest. I have several light vinaigrettes below to chose from if that’s what you are looking for.
But because even my creamy salad dressings are based on greek yogurt instead of mayonnaise, they are all pretty darn healthy!
You can drizzle all of these healthy homemade salad dressings knowing they taste amazing and are good for you!
Also Check: How To Make Tuna Salad With Fresh Tuna
Low Calorie Salad Dressing Recipes
On top of being healthy, these salad dressings are all low calorie salad dressing recipes that are much healthier than the bottle! I used less oil and no sugar to make these dressings healthy. In my creamy dressings like my Ranch, Ceasar, and Poppyseed I used a base of greek yogurt so they would still taste amazingly creamy AND have some health benefits.
How To Make Grain Salad At Home
Salads are healthy and they are satisfying. Except that a few hours later you feel like eating again, especially if youre used to carbohydrates. Heres an amazing solution. To avoid the problem of feeling hungry ever so often, grain salads are a perfect substitute. Looking for personalized solutions? Get FITFEAST and consult expert nutritionists for dedicated nutritional advice.
If you have been wondering how to use those grains, this is an easy way. Now you can make your meal even healthier. Whether you are well-versed or a newbie in whole grains cooking, one thing is for sure theres nothing as good as a whole grain salad.
Apart from lightweight biscuits, a grain salad is a great option. You can prepare it in advance and the longer you let it stay, the better it will absorb from the dressing flavors. However, store in a cool place to make sure that it doesnt go bad. And its easy to prepare.
Read Also: How To Meal Prep Salad For A Week
Start With The Dressing
You might think of the dressing as the finishing touch to your salad, but since the dressing is where most of the flavor comes from, it’s actually a key part of the identity of your salad, so it should really come first. Plus, unless you’re making your dressing in a blender, it can actually be mixed in the bottom of your salad bowl to cut down on dishes.
When composing a dressing, consider all of the elements that will make it sing: acid, sweetness, fat, and aromatics. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- A simple honey-mustard vinaigrette
- A ginger-infused Asian dressing
- A Lebanese-inspired tahini dressing
- An herby avocado dressing
The Easiest Healthy Salad Dressing
My last salad dressing is the salad dressing you can make when you really don’t have much time! This is what I do when I’m making a fast lunch just for myself and don’t have any other dressings on hand. It’s basically the perfect combination of lemon, olive oil, and vinegar over fresh greens.
to see my demonstration video to make it.
Recommended Reading: Mcalister’s Chicken Salad Sandwich
Orzo Salad Recipe Tips
- Cook the pasta a little past al dente. Whenever I make a pasta salad, I cook the pasta just past al dente, so that it stays tender after it cools.
- And let it cool before you add the veggies. If you toss the hot orzo with the tomatoes, cucumber, and onion, theyll begin to wilt. Instead, drain the cooked orzo, dress it with a drizzle of olive oil to prevent sticking, and spread it in an even layer on a large baking sheet to cool. When it reaches room temperature, proceed with the recipe.
- Make it ahead. You can make this orzo salad recipe up to a day in advance, but save the herbs to add at the last minute. If they sit in the dressing for too long, theyll wilt, so its best to toss them in right before you eat. The salad may also dry out a bit in the fridge. If you think it needs more moisture, loosen it with a drizzle of olive oil before serving.
Springy Easy Salad Recipes
- Radish Salad with Yogurt Dill Dressing. Blushing radishes, cool cucumber and smoky roasted chickpeas make this gorgeous butter lettuce and radish salad with yogurt-dill dressing an absolute celebration of all things crispy-crunchy.
- Spring Salad With Barley and Lemon Chive Vinaigrette. Dressed with a chive vinaigrette, crunchy sunflower seeds and tart cranberries, this barley salad is an edible celebration of the cusp of spring, and makes a wonderful, hearty vegetarian dinner, too.
- Easy Fennel Salad. This sophisticated raw fennel salad is dressed simply with bright citrus, good olive oil, a sprinkling of parmesan and fresh mint to let the lightly anise-like flavor of the shaved fennel shine.
- Chopped Salad With Herb Yogurt Dressing. This fresh, crunchy chopped salad recipe is studded with bacon, dates and feta then doused in a yogurty, herby salad dressing. If you make it you might have a hard time not eating the whole bowl yourself.
Read Also: Does Taco Bell Still Have A Taco Salad
Salad Prepping Techniques To Make Easy Salad Recipes
When everything is ready, its time for the fun part ingredient prepping! Here are some simple tips that you may want to follow.
1.Wash your vegetables well. For your leafy greens, include rinsing the creases and spaces to remove the dirt and soil. I have a set of these mixing bowls, makes it easy to rinse veggies. They are also great for many things, and I like that they are made of steel.
2. Dry your salad with a spinner. I use this Salad Spinner LOVKITCHEN. Its handy and I also keep my salads inside the fridge in this.
3. Start the slicing and the chopping! There is no rule to follow when it comes to this. You can make shapes using a spiralizer. Slice hard vegetables such as carrots, celery, cucumber and bell peppers first. These veggies last longer. Soft vegetables and fruits such as berries and avocado become soggy. Its better to mix them on the day you want to eat them.
4. Put your veggies in different containers. Tight sealed containers are better, because youll be able to slow down wilting. I use these glass food storage containers because theyre BPA free.
5. Add-ons. Hard boiled eggs, chicken and sweet potatoes are good add-ons for your easy salad recipes. Nuts and sardines are also great to add. Pick your favorites as long as they are healthy ones!
Easy And Healthy Tuna Salad
It took me a few years to come up with healthy tuna salad recipe I like. I am more of a salmon salad girl but my kids love tuna salad, so I kept trying.
My passion for salads runs deep. But to be honest, I tried all healthy versions of tuna salad with avocado, and with yogurt instead of mayo. Not the same although I do quite love avocado egg salad. Just not with tuna.
I already struggle with the whole concept of tasty tuna salad, so it took a few tries to come up with what I consider a healthy tuna salad that is healthy yet tastes great. I am finally happy to share the best healthy tuna salad recipe I can eat too haha. There just has to be a touch of mayo. The end.
#olenafact: A healthy lifestyle is all about balance and can include healthy tuna salad.
Also Check: How To Make Veg Salad
+ Easy & Healthy Salad Recipes
These easy and healthy salad recipes make the best of fresh seasonal produce. Theyre filled with bright flavors and a variety of delicious textures. Whether youre looking for a snappy lunch salad or a large dinner party salad, this list has something for everyone.
Variations Of The Salad
You dont have to do what I do exactly. I know many of you liek to make my recipes your own and its fantastic!
- Taco bowl: Place large whole grain tortilla in an ovenproof deep bowl and bake at 450 degrees F until crispy. Place salad in a bowl and voila.
- Vegetarian: Replace ground turkey with cooked chickpeas or tofu. Cook with spices just like I do.
- Shredded chicken: Use shredded chicken and cook it in spices following teh recipe. Just 5 minutes less than raw ground turkey.
- Other greens: Romaine lettuce, baby kale or regular kale and spinach create a healthy and tasty base for this taco salad.
Read Also: Healthy Low Calorie Salad Dressing
Asparagus Salad With Feta
Want a salad recipe thats as tasty as it is versatile? Enter: asparagus salad! Its got savory sauteed asparagus, cooked up in a hot pan for a few minutes then spritzed with lemon. Serve on a bed of greens and sprinkle with peppery radishes and feta crumbles. A zingy Dijon mustard dressing tops it off! Even better: you can serve as a side dish, or add cooked quinoa and make it a main dish salad.
Keep This In Mind When Storing Homemade Salad Dressings
As I mentioned, some of these dressings are oil-based, meaning the oil will congeal in the fridge. I recommend before using your dressing to pull it out of the fridge at least 30 minutes before so it can come to room temperature. However, not all of these healthy salad dressing recipes call for ingredients that go bad when stored at room temperature, so I’ve made notes on how to properly store each dressing.
Now some of these dressings do have a natural preservative, like vinegar or lemon, but you really should try to consume them within a two-week period. It’s a good rule of thumb to follow, but just in case, I listed how long you should hold on to each bottle of healthy salad dressing as well.
Here are my favorite 10 healthy salad dressing recipes! And if you need salads to pair, here are our favorite healthy salad recipes.
Read Also: Can You Eat Salad After Bariatric Surgery
Healthy Honey Mustard Dressing
Honey Mustard is often filled with sugar but my version is not! It’s light, bright, and creamy thanks to the mustard and greek yogurt. My Healthy Honey Mustard Dressing does have honey but no added refined sugar.
Serve it with my Fall Harvest Salad or any other salad you’d normally like Honey Mustard with. It also works great as a dip!
Dont Compromise On Flavor
Grains are healthy and you should add some dressings to make the dish appealing to your taste buds. You can say that balancing them with good dressing is important. Make your salad creamy and sumptuous with tahini or mustard. Or use vinaigrette if thats more you. You can make these dressings at home as well, especially if you like creating dishes from scratch. For that matter, lemon dressing is the most versatile option.
Read Also: Panera Bread Chicken Caesar Salad