How Do You Make Chicken Salad
You only need 4 ingredients to make this chicken salad recipe for sandwiches. Eating low carb? Just omit the bread and make lettuce wraps with this as the filling!
- The toppings are
- slices of fresh avocado
- cheese of course in our house
- fresh baked bread like Squaw is so good
- you could even add dried cranberries
- sliced almonds might be on your list of musts
All of which can be found at your local grocery store, and of course you should add whatever you love!
Since I like EASY I use the breasts off a rotisserie chicken , and Sargento® cheese that is already sliced to make it quick to throw together. You can print out the recipe here.
S For Preparing Chicken
There are a couple of easy methods to get perfectly cooked shredded chicken:
- The one I like the best is using a slow cooker. When I need cooked chicken for a recipe, I place the chicken breasts in a slow cooker on high for 2 ½ to 3 hours with about a ½ cup of chicken broth per 3 chicken breasts. Sometimes I add seasonings depending on what type of recipe I am preparing. After it is no longer pink, I remove the chicken and shred it.
- Another method is to boil the chicken on the stovetop. Place the chicken in a saucepan and cover the chicken with water. Bring to a boil and then simmer until the chicken is no longer pink, about 15-20 minutes. Remove the chicken from the water and allow to cool, then shred the meat with two forks.
- If Im really pressed for time, I use the Kirkland Signature brand canned chicken from Costco or I buy a rotisserie chicken and remove the meat from the chicken and shred it. All of these methods work well for the chicken salad filling.
Easy Chicken Salad Sandwich Recipe Food
You will not miss the bacon in this lightened-up take on timeless broccoli salad. Smoky roasted nuts take its area, including those delectable full-flavored attacks. A gently luscious, wonderful & tangy clothing takes the whole thing over the top.
Read Also: Salad Dressing Bottle With Spout
How Do You Make Plain Chicken Salad
I am not opposed to gourmet chicken salad with nuts, fruit, fancy spices and dried fruit. But for a sandwich, nothing beats this basic chicken salad recipe. Just those three simple ingredients, a sprinkle of salt and pepper, and no more.
If youre looking for a good, easy chicken salad recipe without celery, like my dad, this is it.
If you like your chicken salad without eggs , like I do, this will make your belly happy. Ive never really understood why people put boiled eggs in chicken salad. No thanks!
You dont really need a recipe, but Im including one at the end of this post so you can get the proportions right.
Now, Im pretty sure chicken salad is eaten everywhere from east to west, north to south and everywhere in between. But in my mind, its a quintessentially southern food, the kind of thing youll find at summer picnics or church potlucks or baby showers, served out of a big Tupperware bowl alongside the sweet tea, baked beans, potato salad, pimento cheese and mandarin orange JELL-O salad.
But no matter where yall are from, I know you can appreciate a good meal, especially a simple one that can be fancied up depending on the occasion.
Ingredients For Chicken Salad:
What goes into a chicken salad? Traditional chicken salad recipes sometimes include celery, hard-boiled eggs, and onion but always chicken meat and some kind of binding ingredient like mayonnaise or salad dressing to moisten the chicken. This homemade chicken salad was originally made from dill pickle juice and pickles however, I took the shortcut of using sweet relish That and lemon juice will make the juiciest and most flavorful chicken filling that is eat-out-of-the-spoon-delicious!
- Chicken Meat- I made my instant pot shredded chicken for these however, poached, grilled, fried, or cooked chicken breast meat will work. Just make sure its either cubed or shredded.
- Mayonnaise- is like the base of the salad dressing and works as a binder.
- Dressing- a simple combination of yellow prepared mustard, lemon juice, relish, dried dill, dried parsley, dried basil, and black pepper make the most flavorful chicken salad along with mayo!
- Bread- I like to use big and fluffy French Bread rolls from Walmart, theyre cheap and are crowd-friendly.
- Cheese- my favorite type of cheese for hot chicken salad sandwiches is melted Velveeta or American cheese however, use shredded Monterey Jack and Colby cheese when in a hurry. I like to melt the processed cheeses for a spreadable consistency.
Tip: melt 6 slices of American cheese and 1/4 cup of milk to make an easy cheese sauce like Velveeta!
Don’t Miss: Drew’s Organic Salad Dressing
Chicken Salad With Grapes Recipe
Dinner 5 mins
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This Chicken Salad with Grapes Recipe makes a quick, delicious meal! It also has roasted nuts for the best chicken salad recipe and makes a great chicken salad sandwich too!
Chicken salad has to be one of the most perfect dishes for an easy meal at home or to take to a picnic or potluck. This recipe is absolutely full of amazing flavor, is simple to make and is positively the best chicken salad Ive ever eaten!
I think this chicken salad recipe is such a delicious one because the generous amount of chicken is combined with fruit and toasted pecans for a savory crunch and flavor thats a hit every time! Its a recipe that I turn to time and time again for family meals, picnics, and parties. And you just have to try this for the best chicken salad sandwich ever!
Notes For The Best Chicken Salad Recipe
- This recipe is so easy to throw together! You can even make it earlier in the day and keep it in the fridge until you are ready to serve.
- If you feel like the salad is a little dry, add equal parts mayonnaise and sour cream until it reaches the desired consistency.
- If you want more crunch, chop up some sliced almonds and add them in!
- Sliced grapes can add a wonderful flavor addition as well.
- A diced apple is also super tasty in chicken salad if you want to change it up a little bit.
You May Like: Low Calorie Salad Recipes Weight Loss
What Goes In Chicken Salad
Chicken salad is very versatile, a lot of times using what you have on hand. I always used to make mine with chicken, mayo, celery, and some seasonings. But I realized I had been missing out. Try it with the following ingredients, youll be glad you did!
- Chicken: Seasoned baked chicken breast or rotisserie chicken thats completely cooled and chopped.
- Dressing: Mayonnaise, plain Greek yogurt, and mustard.
- Seasonings: Onion powder, kosher salt, and pepper.
- Mix-ins: Dried cranberries, chopped pecans, and diced apple.
- Chicken Salad Sandwich: Simply put the mixture on a croissant or soft dinner rolls with some fresh baby spinach or lettuce, if serving as a sandwich.
Easy Chicken Salad Sandwich Recipe The Typical Mom
These salad recipes are perfect for summer cookouts and very easy household dinners, and are several of the best means to make use of the seasons tasty fruits and also veggies. From classic BBQ faves like macaroni as well as pasta salad to much healthier alternatives like fresh Greek salad and a watermelon feta mix, weve obtained something for every yearning and mood that may strike. For even more summer food preparation suggestions, check out our best barbequed dinner recipes.
Don’t Miss: Taco Salad With Catalina Dressing
How To Make Our Kneaders Copycat Chicken Salad Sandwiches Recipe:
Are you ready to make the easiest recipe for lunch or dinner? If so, start by making sure you have your chicken cooked and shredded beforehand.
PRO TIP: Skip making the chicken and grab yourself a rotisserie chicken and just pull the chicken off and shred it with a fork.
Then, in a medium mixing bowl, combine together the white vinegar, salt, pepper, mayonnaise, and sour cream to create the base for the chicken salad.
Now, in a separate bowl, mix together the shredded chicken, chopped celery stalks, and chopped green onion.
After you have the chicken, celery, and green onion all mixed together, pour the mayonnaise mixture over top and mix it until everything is well combined.
Add more salt or pepper depending on your personal preference, and then cover the chicken salad and let it chill in the fridge for a few hours, or even overnight for the best result.
Once the chicken salad has gotten a chance to chill, scoop it onto your favorite buns or rolls and enjoy!
How To Make Quick And Easy Chicken Salad
Letting this sit in the fridge for a bit, helps meld the flavors together. Shoot for at least an hour. In a medium sized bowl combine the chicken, grapes, pecans, green onions, celery, mayonnaise, lemon, and mustard. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve with croissants, romaine, or with crackers. This chicken salad is always so fun for everyone to make their own sandwich or add it on top of green lettuce.
Also Check: Central Grocery Italian Olive Salad
Should You Use Boiled Or Baked Chicken Breasts For Chicken Salad
Either will work! I find that boiling the chicken results in chicken that is more tender. But if you boil OR bake chicken for too long, it will be tough. Just avoid overcooking the chicken and you should be fine.
When we grill chicken, sometimes we make extra and use it for chicken salad the next day. I do like the flavor of grilled chicken in this recipe its a nice change.
How To Make Chicken Salad Sandwich
We are outside a lot when summer comes around. Whether we are taking road trips, going on a hike, or going to a park, we are always on the go. Thats when this quick and easy cooked chicken recipe comes in handy.
There are all sorts of different ways to cook chicken. You can use leftovers from the night before, shred up some rotisserie chicken bought at the store or even use canned chicken.
You May Like: Can You Lose Weight Just Eating Salad
How To Serve Chicken Salad
You can serve your chicken salad over a bed of lettuce, in a wrap or on bread! If you are low carb, lettuce wraps might even be fun . This is also a great recipe for baby showers and wedding showers. Small chicken salad tea sandwiches are always a hit at these kinds of gatherings.
The best chicken salad sandwich is made on a nice grainy bread. I love a whole wheat with plenty of seeds on the crust. A delicious salad is another favorite.
Just make a big green salad with your favorite veggies and pile it over the top of a green salad. Its nostalgia as this is a recipe that was often on the menu at diners back in the day. This is a great way to serve this recipe as a light dinner.
More About This Recipe
- Perfect for picnics, ideal at celebrations and just-right for any quick-fix meal, this chicken salad sandwich recipe is a balanced combination of hearty meat, crunchy celery and onion and creamy mayonnaise. If you have leftover cooked chicken from another meal, turn it into easy chicken salad. And if Thanksgiving dinner has given you more turkey than you can handle, swap it in this recipe for chicken salad to make an easy day-after meal. One commenter remarked that she omits the celery and adds in chopped apple instead. Another swaps the celery out for a tablespoon minced jalapeño peppers to add a spicy twist. Avoiding bread? This would be just as tasty served in lettuce wraps instead. Easy chicken salad is just the beginning. Dont miss out on Betty Crocker’s best sandwich and wrap recipes for more ideas.
Read Also: Pecan Chicken Salad Sandwich Arby’s
How To Make Shredded Chicken In The Instant Pot
My favorite way to make shredded chicken is in the Instant Pot . I love it because its fast, it cooks evenly, and the chicken comes out perfectly shreddable every time. I also love that you can cook the chicken from frozen . Shredded chicken in the Instant Pot couldnt be easier, heres what to do:
For a full guide to shredding chicken click HERE.
How To Make Chicken Salad With Grapes On Sandwiches
What I love most about this recipe is, if you dont have leftovers, you can purchase a freshly cooked rotisserie chicken from the market, dice it up, and use it as the base.
When Im trying to reduce my carb intake, I make this recipe as a standalone without any bread.
And yes I know the grapes still have some carbs, but Im not sacrificing that juicy flavor.
When Im making this dish for a special occasion, like a tea party, I grab a yummy carb, and my personal favorite is croissants.
Because I cant get enough them.
That buttery, flaky pastry gets me every time.
So it is my go to for this chicken salad with grapes sandwich recipe.
To make the dish, simply dice up your chicken into bite size pieces.
Then slice the grapes and add them to your chicken in a mixing bowl.
Toss in about 2/3 cup of mayonnaise, then mix it well.
Chill it in the refrigerator for at least two hours so the flavors meld.
You can make this recipe ahead of time if you want as well.
If you are making it as sandwiches, slice the croissants just prior to serving and spoon the chicken salad with grapes onto the sandwich.
Then serve immediately.
Let me know what you think!
Don’t Miss: Forks Over Knives Salad Dressing
What Makes The Best Chicken Salad
Some simply add chicken, mayonnaise and maybe a little onion to their chicken salad. But we had a few ingredients and spices that make ours the best.
What are they?
- Parmesan cheese. Doesnt cheese make everything better? Just try it. Trust me.
- Parsley, Onion and Garlic. These spices are staples for making just about any recipe better.
- Salt and pepper. Add this to taste!
- Dill weed. Dill weed has a warm, earthy flavor that really adds a unique touch to our chicken salad.
- Curry powder. Curry is actually a blend of several different spices. It doesnt take much curry to add a bit of flair to recipes.
Easy Chicken Salad Sandwich Recipe
I found a recipe for simple chicken salad on Moscato Mom that revolutionized how I use my leftover poultry.
I really dont measure anything, though, and eyeball according to my taste. Here is how I made my lunch today!
You will need:
Chop up your desired amount of chicken into bite sized pieces.
I use about 1/4 apple in a single serving. Use whatever type of apple you like. I prefer pink lady apples.
Chop it into bit sized pieces.
I use a good amount of sliced almonds. I filled the lid of my mason jar and used almost all of it.
Mix it all together in a bowl and add enough Mayonnaise to make the mixture moist and somewhat stick together.
Taste the mixture and if youd like a little more zip, add a drop or two of Worcestershire sauce.
The new Hellmanns Mayonnaise bottle has a precision tip that will let you add a touch of love to your meal. Go ahead and add a little note!
I always salt and pepper the mixture before eating again to taste.
This is a versatile meal!! I have been known to eat the chicken salad right out of the bowl, in a lettuce leaf or spread it on your favorite bread and make a sandwich out of it.
Also Check: Olive Garden Soup And Salad Price
More Yummy Sandwich Recipes
- Egg Salad SandwichTheres nothing like a good Egg Salad Sandwich, and this one is by far my favorite recipe. Smooth, creamy, and flavorful, youll love this protein packed lunch option!
- Turkey Sandwich with BrieThis Turkey Sandwich with Brie is chock full of creamy brie cheese, tender turkey and thinly sliced tart apple. Unique flavors blend together for one mouthwatering sandwich!
- Cobb Salad SandwichesCobb Salad Sandwiches are a delicious twist on your typical Cobb salad. An easy and quick way to enjoy all the flavors of Cobb Salad on the go!
- Gourmet Steak SandwichesThese Gourmet Steak Sandwiches taste like they came right from a fancy restaurant. Juicy steak layered with pesto, peppers, Gorgonzola cheese, and arugula.
- Chicken Caesar WrapThis Chicken Caesar Wrap has all the flavors of Caesar salad, all wrapped up and ready to take on the go. So filling, satisfying and delicious!
- Shrimp Po Boys with Creamy Cajun SauceShrimp Po Boys are the ultimate sandwich for seafood lovers! Tender shrimp drizzled with creamy, spicy sauce topped with crunchy cabbage on a soft roll.
The Best Easy Chicken Salad Sandwiches Recipe
The Best Easy Chicken Salad Sandwiches this easy, sweet, crunchy, and creamy chicken salad is a huge family favorite and ready in less than 30 minutes!
This chicken salad sandwich recipe is a HUGE hit with kids because its so creamy, crunchy, and has a great sweet kick and youll love how easy this amazing chicken salad recipe is to whip up! There is so much fresh flavor in these sandwiches, and they are DIVINE with store bought croissants for a quick and easy lunch or dinner.
Each sandwich is filling but wont weigh you down. Its great anytime of year, perfect to prep for parties, and great for a hungry crowd! Were using pan friend chicken, but I have some notes in the post below on using pulled rotisserie chicken or pre-cooked chunks of chicken breasts, too.
Go ahead and use up your leftover chicken breasts in this recipe its crazy versatile!
We hope you love this recipe as much as we do.
Here at Sweet Cs, we have lots of types of readers those who like to get straight to the recipe, and those who would like more information, including tips and tricks to feeling more comfortable in the kitchen.
We provide a skip to recipe button in the top left corner, as well as a clickable table of contents, just below, to help make this page easier to navigate.
Recommended Reading: Is Kale Salad Keto Friendly