Easy Strawberry Spinach Salad
As you explore spinach salads, you’ll find that this green is the ideal pairing for sweet strawberries. There are many things you can do with the combo, and this easy strawberry spinach salad recipe is a great place to begin. It features a homemade dressing of honey, cinnamon, lemon, and Dijon mustard. While that sounds a bit unusual, it works really well.
How To Wash Fresh Spinach Leaves
The proper technique for washing spinach leaves? It comes down to a few simple things, really.
Before you rinse the spinach, wash your hands with warm soapy water for at least 20 seconds.
Rinse the spinach leaves under cold running water. You can do so leaf by leaf, hold them in your hand, or put them in a colander and run the water over them. Thats your choice entirely and which method you choose wont make much of a difference.
Pat the spinach leaves dry with a paper towel, place them on a clean tea towel, or put them in the salad spinner and spin until theyre dry. Then add to the salad, mix with the other ingredients, and dress the salad accordingly for serving.
Drying the spinach leaves, in case you were wondering, helps the dressing stick to them. Water and oil dont mix well, as you probably know. So when the leaves are wet, they cant hold on to the salad dressing.
Beet Salad With Spinach And Honey Balsamic Vinaigrette
Beets are fantastic with spinach as well. Roast the beets or boil them for this simple and intriguing beet and spinach salad recipe. The balsamic dressing is impressive and flavorful, mixing garlic, Dijon mustard, and honey for a sweet-savory topping. The salad is finished off with bacon, toasted pecans or walnuts, and a bit of cheese.
You May Like: What Is A Good Salad Dressing For High Cholesterol
What Ingredients You Can Substitute In This Spinach Salad
- If you dont have baby spinach, feel free to sub in kale, arugula or any other greens you have in the fridge.
- Dont have feat cheese? Any soft cheese like goat cheese, blue, or even brie will work.
- No apple cider vinegar? Balsamic can do fine.
- Almonds can be swapped with walnuts or pecans.
- If youd like to add some protein, baked or grilled chicken tastes delicious with this spinach salad.
Lets Talk Poppy Seed Dressing
When I crave spinach strawberry salad, I crave spinach strawberry salad with poppy seed dressing. Maybe its the Panera factor , but I consider the two together a package deal to be embraced.
The poppy seeds feel cheery and add micro pops of texture too!
Rather than a creamy dressing, this spinach strawberry salad calls for a poppy seed vinaigrette made with balsamic vinegar and honey for a few reasons:
- Balsamic and strawberry are divine together.
- The acidity of the dressing adds a nice balance.
- I always have balsamic vinegar in my pantry.
- It is FAST.
The two greatest barriers to making your own vinaigrette from scratch are time and ingredients. This one takes seconds, and you have everything you need to make it in your pantry right now.
You May Like: Disposable Salad Bowls With Lids Uk
Quinoa Tuna And Chickpea Salad
Chickpeas can transform the average spinach salad into something spectacular in this quinoa, tuna, and chickpea salad recipe. The salad combines fluffy quinoa with canned tuna and chickpeas, baby spinach, cilantro, mint, spring onions, and cherry tomatoes. You will also love that the garlic-lemon dressing is effortless to whip up.
What To Eat With Spinach Salad
- Protein:Grilled or baked chicken breast goes well with spinach salad for a low carb dinner. So does baked salmon.
- Vegetarian dinner: For a quick and budget friendly vegetarian dinner make spaghetti with tomato sauce or in the summer balsamic grilled vegetables!
- Holiday side salad: Serve with your holiday turkey, lamb or beef roast.
Love healthy salads? Browse 45 healthy salad recipes for more inspiration!
Also Check: How To Make A Cobb Salad
How To Make Keto Spinach Salad
In a small saucepan, combine the vinegar, ¼ cup water, sweetener, salt, and pepper. Heat over medium heat until the sweetener dissolves, about 5 minutes.
Place the onion slices in a bowl and pour the vinegar mixture on top. Allow the onion to sit for at least 30 minutes.
In a large bowl, combine the spinach, strawberries, pecans, and goat cheese.
Drain the onions, then add them to the salad.
Toss with the dressing and serve immediately
How To Make Spinach Salad Recipes
I learned how to make a spinach salad recipe only in the last half of my life making it a part of my diet. Dad did not grow spinach in our garden I guess it didnt grow in our soil as well as the different lettuces. Because Dad had so many of us to feed, he always grew a lot of each vegetable that adapted to our soil well corn, green beans, tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuces, etc. We had to have lots of these because Mom and Dad would can them to last all year.
The extent of spinach in my diet came from cans in the school lunchroom they did not know how to make spinach salad recipes. This leafy green is a good source for vitamins and minerals like Vitamins A, C, E, K, magnesium, foliate, iron and others. Although this dark green vegetable is obviously very healthy, for years in commercials it has been over exaggerated by Popeye the Sailor Man.
For this reason, canned spinach became a regular ingredient in the school lunchrooms. Believe me, it tasted nothing like our delicious flavorful fresh spinach as when I learned how to make spinach salad recipes. The small bowls were more like bland tasting mushy weeds a far cry even from my delicious cooked spinach.
A spinach salad recipe could include many different ingredients. The following is a list of ingredients that go well in making up a spinach salad so try in creating your own.
POSSIBLE INGREDIENTS FOR SPINACH SALAD
You May Like: How To Start A Salad Business
Cheshire Cheese Spinach & Watercress Salad
This salad has everything calcium, protein and Vitamin C for a healthy diet, plus colour, crunch and flavour for a healthy appetite.
Just four ingredients, but this simple spinach salad really packs a punch
If you’re looking for a light midweek option, this high-fibre, superhealthy salad should tick all the boxes
Young, tender spinach was made for full-of-flavour salads such as this
Tips For Best Salad Results
- Perfect hard boiled eggs: Follow Instant Pot eggs method for fool proof hard boiled eggs.
- Cherry vs. grape tomatoes: Either works in this recipe! Grape tomatoes are sturdier whereas cherry tomatoes have a thinner skin and burst in your mouth. If you have cherry tomatoes fresh from the garden, those are delicious!
- Use toasted seeds : Really will add flavor, just saute in a hot pan quickly and then cool before adding to salad. The smaller the seed the faster it toasts!
- Amino acids vs. soy sauce: I use amino acids in many of my recipes that call for soy sauce. Just keep in mind that soy sauce is slightly saltier!
Additional add-in tips:
- Use block cheese: If adding cheese, skip buying the tub or pre-grated stuff.
- Red onion tip: If you are sensitive to red onions harsher taste but want to add them, soak in water first.
Don’t Miss: Can Salad Make You Lose Weight
How Long To Store The Spinach Salad
This spinach salad recipe keeps in the fridge for up to 2 days if stored in an air-tight container. You may have to toss up the spinach salad leftovers to redistribute the dressing before you serve. The dressing can be made up to 3 days ahead and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Drizzle over the salad when ready to serve.
How To Make The Best Spinach Salad
- Prep ingredients: Slice hard-boiled eggs, mushrooms, tomatoes and cucumbers. I love to make Instant Pot hard boiled eggs as they turn out perfectly every time!
Toasted sesame seeds: I love to quickly toast my sesame seeds in a small skillet on the stove. You can opt not to toast your seeds, but they do add another layer of flavor.
- Place ingredients in bowl: Fill large salad bowl with spinach, then add eggs, mushrooms, cucumbers and tomatoes. Sprinkle with sesame seeds last.
- Make dressing: In a small jar with a tight fitting lid, combine easy spinach salad dressing ingredients. Shake until well mixed.
- Toss salad: Pour dressing over salad as much or as little as you like then toss salad gently. I like to start with a small amount and then add more as needed.
- Serve immediately: This salad is best fresh right after you toss the spinach with the dressing.
Also Check: Villeroy & Boch French Garden Salad Plate
Super Simple Spinach Salad
A simple spinach salad with an easy homemade balsamic vinaigrette makes for a delicious and healthy side dish! This recipe takes just minutes to prepare and is perfect with dinner on a busy night.
You guys know I love my salads, right?
Im ALL about the veggies and Im usually finding new ways to load up with more, more, more.
But sometimes, you just need a salad to serve with dinner. Like, right now. With whatever youve got in the fridge.
It needs to be easy, quick and delicious.
Baby spinach and homemade balsamic vinaigrette. Voila!
So, I love baby spinach salad recipes all kinds of ways, but in this case, its the dressing that does it, really.
The balsamic vinaigrette is so tasty. Homemade really is miles above and beyond anything you can get in the store, so it makes this salad a joy to eat.
And it couldnt be easier.
You just add garlic, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper and olive oil to a small jar or container.
I use a ratio closer to 1:1 for my oil:vinegar ratio and that works for me. Feel free to add more oil if you want to get closer to the traditional 3:1 oil:vinegar ratio.
I just eyeball it really, in my container from the side as I pour in the olive oil.
Then shake it, shake it, shake it and you are set!
Seriously, homemade salad dressings should not be intimidating. They can be oh so fast and easy and youll be blown away by how much more flavorful they are.
What Goes In Spinach Salad:
This salad is full of fresh baby spinach, crispy cooked bacon, thinly sliced red onion, sliced strawberries, crumbled gorgonzola, and candied pecans! Here are a few notes on the ingredients and substitutes if you need them.
- First the pecans. I am able to purchase candied pecans in bulk from a local grocery store as you can see in the photo collage below. If you can’t find them, don’t worry, the salad is great with regular pecans, or even almonds or cashews!
- Slice your strawberries as thin or thick as you like! I like to remove the stems, then cut each strawberry into about 3-4 slices. You should start out with two cups of WHOLE strawberries, then slice those.
- Slice your red onion as thin as you can get it! We want thin onions so that we can get some in every bite, but we don’t want it to overpower the salad. On that note, let me mention that I know Gorgonzola is too overpowering for some, feel free to use crumbled feta or goat cheese instead if preferred.
- Mix together your dressing! Use a mason jar, or any container with a lid for this. The dressing contains olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, dijon mustard, honey, and a bit of salt and pepper, that’s it! Get all of your ingredients in the jar and shake until combined. You can keep the dressing in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Recommended Reading: Jazzy Julie Chicken Salad Chick
Dressing For Strawberry Spinach Salad:
The dressing is probably my favorite part of this simple salad! It is made with dijon, balsamic, honey, garlic, olive oil and a little seasoning. It might seem like a basic dressing but it is savory, tangy, and slightly sweet! It compliments this salad perfectly. This spinach salad is a meal in itself if you want it to be. To eat this, prep it ahead and store in airtight containers in the refrigerator for lunches, it will last for about 4 days. If you prep ahead, be sure to store the dressing in a separate container from the salad until ready to eat. It’s also a great side paired with Grilled Chicken Thighs or these Baked Chicken Drumsticks!
Spinach Salad And Dressing Recipe
This spinach salad was first introduced to me by my mother-in-law, and after having it a million times at parties I decided it was high time I learn how to make it at home.
Its a spinach salad that has apples, pears, pecans and feta in it, and has the most amazing dressing.
Salads are something that I wish I would eat more of. The problem is, that unless I LOVE it, I dont want it lol. When I find a salad I love, I cant stop thinking about it and make it lots of times!
Just like my spinach salad with soft boiled eggs, bacon and a mustard vinaigrette which Ive made more times than I can count , this spinach salad is one I rave about and have started making all the time.
What ingredients are needed to make the salad?
Salads are awesome to serve when you have guests over, they add that special something to the meal to make it balanced.
Spinach salad ingredient swaps -salads are also something that are easily adaptable to what you have on hand.
- Dont have pecans? No worries, add walnuts!
- Dont have feta cheese? You could use goat cheese instead!
- Only have 2 apples or 2 pears instead of 1 of each? Thats ok, use double of one or the other!
- Dont have spinach? Use other spring greens or arugula or kale.
In the recipe below, Ill share the recipe I used, and then the different adaptations you could make. I also love using a wooden bowl and wooden utensils to serve this salad.
Other recipes you might enjoy:
You May Like: Soup And Salad Serving Dishes
Apple Spinach Salad Ingredients
Before we get to the full recipe below, here are a few quick notes about the ingredients you will need to make this spinach apple salad recipe
- Spinach: I love using fresh baby spinach for this salad, but any of your favorite salad greens will work.
- Apple: Feel free to use whatever variety of crisp apple that you love best! I typically use a combination of sweet Pink Lady and tart Granny Smith apples, which are some of our favorites this time of year.
- Red onion: I also like to add in some very thinly sliced red onion to give the salad a bit of bite. However, feel free to briefly rinse the sliced onion in cold water before adding it to the salad, if you would like to mellow out its flavor a bit.
- Walnuts: I typically make this salad with toasted walnuts or pecans. But just about any variety of nuts or seeds that you prefer will play well in this salad, preferably toasted to bring out their best flavor.
- Dried cranberries: A sprinkling of these always adds great color and a hint of extra sweetness.
- Goat cheese: I love the flavor of tangy goat cheese in this recipe, but feel free to swap in crumbled feta, gorgonzola, or a shredded sharp cheddar if you prefer.
- Apple cider vinaigrette: Quick and easy to make with olive oil, apple cider vinegar, honey, Dijon, garlic, salt and pepper. I highly recommend making a double batch, while youre at it, to use on another salad later in the week!
Can You Make Spinach Salad Ahead Of Time
Once tossed, it is best to enjoy salad the same day. Spinach wilts extremely fast.
Make Ahead: Refrigerate all salad ingredients in a bowl covered with plastic separately from the dressing for up to 2 days. Dressing lasts for up to 2 weeks in the fridge.
What if dressing solidifies in the fridge? Olive oil hardens when refrigerated. Just place the jar with the dressing in a bowl with hot water for 10 minutes or so. Always shake dressing before adding to salad.
Read Also: Salad And Go Order Online
A Simple Formula For A Fast & Fancy Green Salad
This spinach salad is one to memorize. Chopped apple adds tart crunch, toasted walnuts lend heft, feta provides salty intrigue, and its all tied together with a quick honey-sweetened apple cider vinaigrette. Its a salad that pairs well with most main dishes, but could just as easily be enjoyed for lunch on its own if youre not starving, or topped with chicken if youre craving more.
What really makes this salad great, though, is how interchangeable the ingredients are. Swap arugula or baby kale for the spinach and slip in whatever seasonal fruit you have on hand in place of the apple, like berries or stone fruit. If youd rather use pecans or almonds instead of walnuts, go right ahead and of course, crumbled goat cheese would make a lovely replacement for the feta.
Strawberry Spinach Salad With Red Wine Vinaigrette
Fresh spinach and strawberries with toasted sesame seeds form the base of this impressive strawberry spinach salad. The recipe’s dressing is a red wine vinaigrette that you’ll want to keep in stock. With a flavor combination that includes dill, garlic, garlic, and dried mustard against red wine vinegar, it’s sure to make your taste buds happy.
Also Check: How To Make Good Egg Salad