How To Make Hellmanns Original Potato Salad
You are going to need:
- Potatoes: you should use high-quality, fresh potatoes. Choosing a variety can give your potato salad some interesting texture and a great flavor.
- Hellmanns mayonnaise: this is the key to the dish, and is perfect for a light, enjoyable salad that everyone will love.
- Chopped onion: many people neglect to add onion to potato salad, but its the ideal way to make it crispy and combat the grease. Make sure you include this!
- Boiled eggs: for a protein hit and to make the potato salad creamier, some pieces of hard boiled eggs are a must-have in this dish.
- Celery: to add to the kick provided by the onions, a few slices of celery are perfect. They make this dish much more interesting and flavorful.
What Kind Of Potatoes To Use
When making this recipe you want to use the perfect potato. Yellow, Yukon gold or red potatoes make the best side dish salads.
They have a delicious potato flavor and when the cooked potatoes are used for a salad they hold their shape when mixing cubed or sliced cooked potatoes with a mayo dressing.
~ Hellmann’s Original Eight
Want to make a country-style potato salad just like your grandmother used to make? The kind that allows the potato to be the star of the show? Of course you do or you wouldn’t be Googling around the internet looking for a basic, vintage recipe reminiscent of kinder, gentler, traditional times — a recipe absent of a long-list fancy-schmancy ingredients , that, while exciting-to-the-palate for the first few bites, just grow old in your mouth while muddlling up the flavor of the perfectly-cooked spuds. If you’ve ever watched The Waltons ready themselves for a picnic up on the mountain, you know that grandma didn’t toil over the task of making the potatoe salad any longer than it took the kids to gather their things and pile in to the back of the truck.
Yes, for most of us, potato salad conjures up memories of exactly what our grandmothers made. And, for the most part, those recipes for our grandmother’s potato salad do not vary much. Various quantities of the usual suspects: potatoes, eggs, celery and/or onion, with a dressing made of mayonnaise, vinegar, salt, pepper, sometimes pickles or pickle relish and/or a dash of mustard, plus, an occasional fresh herb. Voila: potato salad. While we all have our favorite recipe or recipes, when offered potato salad at a gathering, this is the kind we Americans expect to be served. To hasten up chilling any potato salad, try my spread it on a sheet pan method.
Simple, straightforward & on point, Hellmann’s potato salad:
Don’t Miss: Cranberry Almond Chicken Salad Aldi
Ingredients To Make The Recipe
Click for more info and to . Check out how I like to cook my red potatoes in the Instant Pot.
A combination of simple ingredients make the best creamy potato salad.
- Potatoes: Boiled yellow, Yukon or red potatoes.
- Dressing ingredients: Hellmann’s or Dukes mayonnaise, yellow mustard, salt and pepper.
- Hard boiled eggs. 3, 4 or even 5 hard boiled eggs, depends on how much you like eggs in your salad.
- Onions: Diced red onion.
- Seasoning: simple seasonings of salt and pepper is all you need for a classic recipe.
- Sweet pickle relish: sweet pickle or dill relish.
Tips For Making The Best Potato Salad
- Salt the water well to flavor the potatoes. For 2 pounds of potatoes, I like to add about 1 1/2 tablespoons of salt to the water. Dont worry, it wont make the spuds overly salty as they wont absorb too much of the water.
- The original Hellmanns potato salad recipe calls for peeling and slicing the potatoes pre-boiling. However, I prefer doing so after boiling because then the skins are easier to peel.
- Rinse the potatoes under cold water to stop them from cooking further. Be sure to drain them well, though excess water will make the dressing watery.
- Allow the potatoes to cool slightly before mixing in the dressing. Warm potatoes absorb liquid better, giving them more flavor.
- But dont toss them together when the potatoes are still too hot. This will make the dressing watery.
- To make hard-boiled eggs, boil the eggs for 10 to 12 minutes. Add a teaspoon of salt to the water if using very fresh eggs for easier peeling.
- If you dont like the sharp flavor of onions, you can dial it down by soaking them in water for a few minutes.
- Give the salad enough time to chill in the fridge. I hate waiting as much as you do, but it does make the salad significantly more flavorful.
- Storage instructions: cover the potato salad with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 3 to 4 days. Do not freeze.
Also Check: Clear Glass Salad Plates Bulk
How To Make Traditional Potato Salad
With a Hellmans mayonnaise dressing and just potatoes, onions and hard-boiled eggs, this recipe has minimal ingredients and comes together pretty quickly. Plus, its great to make ahead and keep chilled in the refrigerator before youre ready to eat.
The key to a potato salad is the drumroll, please POTATOES!!
The kind of potato you choose and make sure its cooked just right! I prefer Russet potatoes for my potato salad. They hold their shape really well but still get tender enough that the dressing clings to them and stays distributed evenly.
You can experiment with other types of potatoes, but I always end up coming back to russets.
You May Like: Arbys Chicken Salad Sandwich Calories
Hellmanns The Original Potato Salad
A longtime favorite of my family. We dont have an outdoor summer gathering without this and Hellmanns Classic Pasta Salad. Cant go wrong with these delicious recipes. FYI: because of the mayo content, we put the bowl of salad into a slightly larger-sized bowl filled halfway with ice to keep the salads cold and fresh.
Provided by aHardDaysNight
|2 hard-cooked eggs, chopped|
- In 4-quart saucepot, cover potatoes with water bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Drain and cool slightly.
- In large bowl, combine Hellmanns Mayonnaise, vinegar, salt, sugar and pepper. Add potatoes, celery, onion and eggs and toss gently.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature.
Don’t Miss: Best Dairy Free Salad Dressing
Loaded Baked Potato Salad
A salad with all the classic flavors of a loaded baked potato-kicked up with fresh vegetables and peppery arugula.
Number Of Ingredients 18
- ¼ cup minced fresh dill
- Preheat oven to 425°. Toss the potatoes, fennel, and bell pepper together on a baking sheet with olive oil and salt. Roast for 40-45 minutes, stirring halfway through. While the vegetables roast, make the dressing.
- Whisk together the Hellmanns® Organic Mayonnaise, vinegar, lemon juice, grainy mustard, salt, and fresh dill. Transfer roasted potato mixture to a large bowl and cool slightly, about 10 minutes. Toss with dressing and refrigerate until completely cooled, at least 30 minutes but can be done a day ahead. Finish the salad by adding the tomatoes, scallions, bacon, arugula, and goat cheese. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
Recommended Reading: Best Salad For Kidney Disease
Classic Potato Salad Ingredients
The ingredients are BASIC. Ones that everyone has in their refrigerator already. If youd like to add dill feel free to do so! I use whatever I have on hand. Sometimes Ill sprinkle the salad with a bit of paprika for color, but its totally optional. And celery-everyone adds celery, but I dont care for it so I always leave it out. I wont judge you if you add a handful to your salad, but the main things youll need are as follows:
- 2 1/2 pounds of potatoes
- 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
- 1/2 onion, diced
You can add as much dill as youd like, just remember that you dont need as much dried dill as fresh. A little goes a long way.
Also Check: Caesar Salad Dressing Without Anchovies
Potato Salad: The Birth Of An American Dream
While traditional potato salad here in the States comes with a heavy dose of Americana, the truth about potato salad is that it didn’t start in the United States it evolved here. According to NPR, potato salad was introduced to Europe in the 16th century by the Spanish, who first learned of potatoes from native peoples in South America during their explorations of the New World. according to the publication, “These early potato salads were made by boiling potatoes in wine or a mixture of vinegar and spices.”
Though it took a while for potatoes to become a favorite among Europeans and the rest of the world, once they did, these types of potato dishes dressed in vinegar and served largely warmed, proliferated, with each region and culture adapting the recipes to their tastes. There’s the French version, strewn with dill and green onions and doused in a vinaigrette of dijon and champagne vinegar the Korean take mixed with chopped carrots and cucumber and topped with grated hard-boiled egg yolk Spanish varieties bathed in garlic, olive oil, and vinegar or mixed with tuna and an Austrian version dotted with caraway seeds, nutmeg, and thyme and covered in hot beef broth with onions, before finally being dressed in apple cider vinegar and mustard. But there is none more influential to the birth of the potato salad here in the United States than Germany’s beloved varieties of potato salad.
~ Hellmanns Original Eight
Want to make a country-style potato salad just like your grandmother used to make? The kind that allows the potato to be the star of the show? Of course you do or you wouldnt be Googling around the internet looking for a basic, vintage recipe reminiscent of kinder, gentler, traditional times a recipe absent of a long-list fancy-schmancy ingredients , that, while exciting-to-the-palate for the first few bites, just grow old in your mouth while muddlling up the flavor of the perfectly-cooked spuds. If youve ever watched The Waltons ready themselves for a picnic up on the mountain, you know that grandma didnt toil over the task of making the potatoe salad any longer than it took the kids to gather their things and pile in to the back of the truck.
Yes, for most of us, potato salad conjures up memories of exactly what our grandmothers made. And, for the most part, those recipes for our grandmothers potato salad do not vary much. Various quantities of the usual suspects: potatoes, eggs, celery and/or onion, with a dressing made of mayonnaise, vinegar, salt, pepper, sometimes pickles or pickle relish and/or a dash of mustard, plus, an occasional fresh herb. Voila: potato salad. While we all have our favorite recipe or recipes, when offered potato salad at a gathering, this is the kind we Americans expect to be served. To hasten up chilling any potato salad, try my spread it on a sheet pan method.
Simple, straightforward & on point, Hellmanns potato salad:
Recommended Reading: If We Eat Salad Everyday Will Lose Weight
How To Make Hellmans Potato Salad
Place peeled and cut potatoes in a sauce pan.
Add cold water so water extends at least 1 above potatoes. Heat on medium high heat until boiling.
Continue to boil for 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are done.
You can check if your potatoes are done this by gently pressing a fork into the potato, or simply taste testing it!
When potatoes are done cooking, drain and rinse with cold water.
I usually let my potatoes set for about 10 minutes in the sink and then do another cold water rinse.
Remember that potatoes need to be COOLED before making the rest of your potato salad or it sorta melts the mayo and mustard and gets watery. You can boil the potatoes ahead of time as well and just keep in fridge till ready to cut.
Add boiled potatoes to a large mixing bowl and add your mayonnaise, mustard and relish.
Season with salt and pepper and mix well.
Slice hard boiled eggs with an egg slicer and place on top of potato salad.
Whats The Best Potato For Potato Salad
Its completely up to you, but I highly recommend over starchy potatoes. Waxy spuds, such as Yukon Golds, are able to hold their shape well even when boiled.
Theyre also creamy and buttery, which adds another fantastic layer of flavor to the salad.
If you want to leave the skins on, I suggest you go for baby reds. Theyre very thin-skinned, so you can leave them on without altering the texture of the salad.
Some prefer Russets, but personally, Im not a big fan of their mushy texture.
Read Also: Wooden Salad Bowl With Lid
Traditional Potato Salad Recipe
This Traditional Potato Salad recipe is made with Hellmans mayonnaise and is the perfect BBQ side dish! An easy potato salad that will remind you of picnics with you grandma!
There are some recipes where less is more and this is definitely one of them! Its such a simple and easy potato salad recipe that Im almost embarrassed when people ask me for the recipe.
But they always do because its a hit everywhere I take it! Its the same recipe my mom always made growing up, and theres nothing quite like a homemade, family-style potato salad recipe to make you feel nostalgic.
Recommended Reading: Simple Salad For Weight Loss
Mayonnaise Dressing For Potato Salad
For my family, there is no substitution for Hellmans mayonnaise. It has to be Hellmans or we wont even touch it.
Ingredients for Potato Salad Dressing:
3/4 cup Hellmans mayo1 teaspoon sugar1 teaspoon salt1 teaspoon vinegar
Thats it! Mix it up in a bowl and then pour it over your chopped potatoes!
You can do whatever add-ins you want but for traditional potato salad, we do chopped onions and chopped hard-boiled eggs.
Little secret, I am not a fan of hard-boiled eggs at all. AT ALL. So since I was a little girl, my mom always mixes everything together except the eggs. She puts some in a small container for me and then mixes the eggs into the larger batch for everyone else. I still do this for myself when Im making it for my family.
But if you want to really get crazy with this recipe, you can add in chopped bacon bits, green onions, shredded cheese, celery whatever makes it a classic potato salad recipe for your tastebuds!
Read Also: Hawaiian Bbq Macaroni Salad Recipe
Read Also: Teak Salad Bowl Set Thailand
Storage Tips For Hellmanns Potato Salad
Hellmanns potato salad with mayo is a temperature-sensitive dish that most culinary experts do not recommend freezing.
Besides the increased bacteria growth, mayo could also curdle when frozen and thawed.
Be cautious when freezing.
Freshly prepared Potato salad should be served as required, and immediately prep the untouched salad for freezing.
For leftovers, remove the food debris that might have mixed while serving before freezing otherwise, it will speed up the degradation when frozen.
Place the portions in an airtight container, seal with a lid, then stick in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Hellman’s Classic Potato Salad Recipe
Make and share this Hellman’s Classic Potato Salad recipe from Food.com.
Total Time 25 minutes
CLASSIC POTATO SALAD RECIPE | FOOD NETWORK KITCHEN | FOOD …
- Boil, peel and cube 2 pounds russet potatoes toss with 2 tablespoons cider vinegar and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Mix 2 cups mayonnaise, 2 chopped scallions, 1 chopped celery stalk, 1 tablespoon each dijon mustard and vinegar, 1 teaspoon sugar, and salt. Toss with the potatoes.
CLASSIC AMERICAN-STYLE POTATO SALAD RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
- Cut warm potatoes into 3/4-inch dice with a serrated knife. Layer them in a bowl, seasoning with vinegar, salt and pepper as you go. Cut eggs, celery and pickle in 1/4-inch dice and thinly slice scallions. Add to potatoes, along with parsley. Stir in mayonnaise and mustard until everything is combined. Chill, covered, before serving.
HELLMANN’S CLASSIC MACARONI SALAD RECIPE – FOOD.COM
- Serve chilled or at room temperature.
THE ORIGINAL POTATO SALAD | HELLMANN’S US
ORIGINAL POTATO SALAD RECIPE FROM HELLMANS
HELLMANS CLASSIC POTATO SALAD RECIPES
THE ORIGINAL HELLMANS POTATO SALAD – FOODGASM RECIPES
HELLMANS CLASSIC POTATO SALAD RECIPES
HELLMANN’S POTATO SALAD RECIPE – JUST EASY RECIPE
HELLMANS POTATO SALAD RECIPE – COPYCAT
THE ORIGINAL POTATO SALAD RECIPE | MYRECIPES
CLASSIC POTATO SALAD RECIPE – CENTERCUTCOOK
HELLMANN’S THE ORIGINAL POTATO SALAD. PHOTO BY LAVENDER …
RECIPES BY CUISINE | HELLMANN’S US
Read Also: Can Pregnant Women Eat Salad
Hellmanns Olive Oil Mayonnaise Original Potato Salad
I cant help but love potato salad. Its simple. Its summery. Its fresh and zesty and you can do a million things to it, and its pretty much going to be good no matter what.
ButI never make it.
Dont ask me why, I just dont. Im a fickle creature. There is no understanding my madness.
However, I was recently approached by Hellmanns to give their new Hellmanns® mayonnaise dressing with Olive Oil a shot in a Potato Salad recipe. ThereforeI HAD to make potato salad.
So I did. I do what I am told sometimes.
- 2 lbs. potatoes , peeled and cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 1 cup Hellmanns® Olive Oil Mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp. vinegar
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 hard-cooked eggs, chopped
Okay, thats a lie. Ill eat the hardboiled whites. Youll NEVER see me eat the yellow though. In fact, I only eat eggs scrambled, or in cakes, or brownies. Someone mentioned Eggs Benedict to me the other day, and I thought Im supposed to love these, as Im told they are a treat. But runny yellow eggs freak me the fork OUT.
Luckily, this mayonnaise doesnt.