Potato Salad With Bacon And Egg
When I decided to make a ranch potato salad that first time, my mind immediately turned to bacon.
I wanted a salad with the flavors of ranch dressing, but also with some smokiness from the bacon. I used just a bit of the bacon grease to season the dressing and the whole salad picked up a slightly smoky flavor that I loved.
Using leftover hardboiled eggs and baked potatoes made this recipe come together quickly. Rather than using a storebought or pre-made ranch dressing, I made an extra thick dressing with mayonnaise and all the usual ranch seasoning suspects like dill and parsley.
Every bite of this potato salad was creamy and full of smoky bacon and herbed ranch flavor. Fresh green onions tossed in at the end added a terrific bite and satisfying crunch to the salad.
Dont be scared of the bacon grease, it makes an enormous difference in the final result. Its just a small amount and takes this from an ordinarily good potato salad to something that tastes better than any potato salad Ive had from a restaurant or deli.
It definitely blows the store-bought stuff completely out of the water.
What Are The Best Potatoes For Potato Salad
In order to make the BEST Potato Salad, you need to choose the right potatoes for the job. Potatoes based on texture can be categorized into 3 groups:
- Waxy potatoes: these thin-skinned potatoes have the least amount of starch and retain their shape well when boiled. Thin skins also mean that peeling is optional if youre short on time or like a more rustic salad. Examples are red, new, or fingerling potatoes. The down side of waxy potatoes is they do not hold flavor of dressings or vinaigrette well.
- In-between potatoes: also known as all-purpose potatoes, these potatoes have more starch than waxy potatoes, but will generally work well in most potato dishes, including potato salad. White and Yukon Golds are the most popular potatoes in this group, and are reliable in-between potatoes to always have around. These potatoes hold both their textures and flavors from dressings well.
- Starchy potatoes: like Russets should be avoided for potato salad. They are starchy, thick-skinned and will fall apart during the cooking process. Instead, Russet potatoes are ideal for mashed potatoes.
For the Best potato salad recipe, use in-between potatoes such as Yukon gold potatoes. Yukon Golds boast a delicious buttery flavor, are a little sweet, creamy, hold their shape after cooking, have thinner skin so theyre easy to peel after boiling and wont fall apart or become mushy. They also absorb the dressing better than waxy potatoes resulting in tastier potatoes through and through.
How Do You Make The Perfect Bacon Ranch Potato Salad
Potato salad is super easy to make but youll need to plan ahead as the potatoes have to cool before adding the dressing and then once assembled, it has to be refrigerated for at least 30 minutes, even longer if possible.
Step 1:Cook the potatoes, drain and run under cold water, let dry. While cooking cook bacon in a skillet until crispy and remove to a paper towel lined plate.
Step 2: Prepare homemade ranch dressing and combine with sour cream or add a cup of bottled ranch dressing to a cup of sour cream.
Step 3:To a large bowl, add potatoes, grated cheese, part of the cooked bacon and green onions and pour the dressing over the top and gently stir to combine.
Step 4:Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Top with reserved bacon and extra green onions prior to serving.
Also Check: Annies Salad Dressing Gluten Free
Why Make This Recipe
- Versatile works for any occasion including spring and summer gatherings, picnics, 4th of July celebration, potlucks, and lunch boxes!
- Feeds a Crowd triple this recipe to feed a big crowd.
- Affordable it is made with affordable everyday ingredients.
- Leftovers a great way to use up leftover potatoes.
- Dietary it is gluten free.
Potato Salad By Emeril
My mom and I make regular potato salad just alike even though we don’t have a written down recipe. My husband really likes mine and so he doesn’t think of this as potato salad, but a potato dish. It is great served warm just after you make it.
Provided by Chef likestocook
|14 small red potatoes, 2 1/2 lb|
|6 slices bacon, fried and crumbled|
|6 sliced hard-boiled eggs|
|1 teaspoon salt|
- When boiling the potatoes I did not peel them. When I cubed them I did take out the peeling that was just hanging, but didn’t worry if some got into the salad.
- Place sliced potatoes and eggs in serving dish.
- Sprinkle celery and onion on potatoes.
- Mix up ranch dressing and salt and pour over potatoes mixture.
- Mix gently.
- Garnish with parsley and bacon.
- Serve immediately or keep warm.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 669.1, Fat 36.9, SaturatedFat 8.3, Cholesterol 238.2, Sodium 1050.5, Carbohydrate 66.7, Fiber 7.1, Sugar 6.6, Protein 17.1
You May Like: Is Who Made The Potatoe Salad On Netflix
Loaded Potato Salad Made With Your Favorite Baked Potato Toppings In Convenient Salad Form Its Guaranteed To Be A Potluck Favorite
This Loaded Potato Salad is hands down my favorite potato salad and will steal the show at every potluck, picnic, game day or backyard barbecue! Its loaded with tender potatoes, crispy bacon, sharp cheddar and fresh chives enveloped in a creamy, sour-cream laced ranch dressing. Its portable, easy to make, make ahead friendly, easy to double/triple for a large crowd, tastes fabulous warm, or cold and compliments any meal. With one bite, this Loaded Potato Salad will be your favorite potluck side dish too!
How Long Do You Need To Boil Potatoes For Potato Salad
The trick for potato salad is to cook the potatoes just enough but not so much that they get mushy. To get perfectly cooked new potatoes, start by cutting them into even 1 inch pieces. Larger pieces will cause the smaller pieces to cook too much. Add to cold water and then bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat to simmer and cook uncovered for about 8-10 minutes. You want a fork to pierce them easily without the potato falling apart.
Don’t Miss: Big Salad Bowl With Lid
Ranch Potato Salad With Bacon And Eggs
Whats not to love about a fully loaded Ranch Potato Salad filled with bits of bacon and chunks of egg? This spectacular potato salad has been my kids favorite potato salad for over two years now.
This is an easy potato salad with bacon and egg that I know youll love as much as we do.
Homemade Ranch Dressing Mix
Used as both a mix for a dip and a dressing, this tangy ranch mix is both tasty and versatile. -Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 16 servings per batch.
Number Of Ingredients 10
|1/3 cup buttermilk blend powder|
|1/4 cup dried parsley flakes|
|2 tablespoons dried minced onion|
|2 teaspoons salt|
|ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS FOR SALAD DRESSING:|
|1 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise|
|1 cup plus 6 tablespoons buttermilk|
|ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS FOR DIP:|
|2 cups reduced-fat sour cream|
- Combine the first five ingredients. Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place for up to 1 year. Yield: 4 batches ., For salad dressing: In a small bowl, whisk the mayonnaise, buttermilk and 3 tablespoons mix. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Yield: about 2 cups., For dip: In a small bowl, combine sour cream and 3 tablespoons mix. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Serve with assorted crackers and fresh vegetables.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 62 calories, Fat 5g fat , Cholesterol 7mg cholesterol, Sodium 219mg sodium, Carbohydrate 3g carbohydrate , Protein 1g protein.
Read Also: Disposable Salad Bowls With Lids Uk
Loaded Ranch Baked Potato Salad
I was never a huge potato salad fan, until now. This Loaded Ranch Baked Potato Salad is the bomb! It is one of those dishes that whenever I make it, I always get asked for the recipe. It wasnt until recently when I received numerous requests that I decided to blog about it. So here it is.enjoy!
Bacon Ranch Twice Baked Potato Salad Recipe
The creamy component of this salad is a combination of Greek yogurt and mayonnaise with ranch dressing seasoning mixed in for flavor. I pretty much love ranch dressing in any food. As well, this potato salad is loaded with cheddar cheese and bacon. After all, everyone loves cheese and bacon, right?
I piled the good stuff on top for these photos. Otherwise, you wouldnt be able to tell whats in the salad. It makes a great presentation to do this when serving. However, there is one caveat, you may have someone like my husband who gets a lot of toppings and a small amount of the potatoes. Not good. I recommend giving it a good stir before serving!
Don’t Miss: What Goes In Tuna Salad
Ranch Baked Potato Salad
What is it about Ranch dressing that is just so likable? I love it on my lettuce salad and to dip baby carrots in, but this recipe is one of my favorite ways to use the bottled dressing. Ranch Baked Potato Salad is a simple, throw together, side dish that is a great addition to a grilled steak or these delicious ham balls.
Potato salad I believe is the quintessential side kick for any backyard BBQ. I loved my grandmas classic version with mustard and hard-boiled eggs, but this version which is a play on a loaded baked potato is the bees knees!
This recipe calls for cooking the potatoes by boiling them first.
But Ill let you in on a little secret. Sometimes I use leftover baked potatoes from a prior meal, when I overestimated the amount to cook. A great way to re-make the potatoes into something slightly different.
The dressing has so much flavor with the help of the ranch and mustard.
It is a super quick salad to just throw together and one that doesnt require any special ingredients you dont already have on hand, perfect to make and take for any last-minute soiree.
- 2lbsPotatoes , cut into one inch pieces
- 8slicesBacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2cupRanch Salad Dressing
- 3TbspSour Cream
- 1TbspPrepared Yellow Mustard
- 1/2cupShredded Cheddar Cheese
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
Is This Potato Salad Served Hot Or Cold
Loaded Potato Salad can be served chilled, room temperature or warmed. I have tried it all three ways and while each is delicious, I am partial to room temperature or warmed. Room temperature works out well because you dont have to stress about the salad staying chilled when taking it to a potluck. Just let the salad come to room temperature for about 30 minutes before serving
Read Also: Gluten Free Dairy Free Soy Free Salad Dressing
A Few Potato Boiling Tips
- Salt the water. Once the water comes to a boil, generously salt the water. This will flavor the potatoes, which in turn will make the salad that much more delicious. If the potato salad tastes flat or bland, the potatoes were probably under-seasoned. My rule of thumb: add 1 teaspoon salt to every 4 cups of water.
- Start the potatoes in cold water. When boiling potatoes, its important they start in cold water because this allows the potatoes to cook evenly
- Check the potatoes often. If the potatoes cook too long in the water, theyll end up mushy or water-logged. Check them often for tenderness as soon as you can pierce the potatoes with a fork, theyre ready.
The Best Potato Salad Recipe
No barbecue, pool party, or picnic is complete without a giant bowl of potato salad and this recipe is thebest in my humble opinion. After all, whats not perfection about tender, creamy potatoes fully loaded with tons of cheese, bacon and green onions swaddled in homemade ranch dressing. Its the best combination of crispy, creamy, and comforting that all come together to create the best potato salad.
Don’t Miss: How To Make Kale Salad
How To Make Bacon Ranch Potato Salad
This side dish is super simple to make. Cut some red potatoes into wedges and toss in olive oil, salt and pepper. Bake the potatoes until tender and cool 10 to 15 minutes. Toss the cooled potatoes with ranch dressing, chopped cooked bacon, and green onions. You can serve the potato salad warm or chilled.
- Here is our recipe for Homemade Ranch Dressing: https://www.plainchicken.com/copycat-outback-ranch-dressing/
- You can substitute turkey bacon for pork bacon.
- Can Bacon Ranch Potato Salad be made in advance? Yes! You can assemble the potatoes and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- How long does potato salad last? The potato salad will keep up to 3 to 5 days in an air-tight container in the refrigerator.
- Is potato salad gluten-free? Yes! All of the ingredients in this recipe are gluten-free.
Can I Cook The Bacon In The Oven
Absolutely! Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and line a large rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil. Top with a wire baking rack and lightly spray it with cooking spray. Line the bacon strips on the baking rack in a single layer and bake for 15-25 minutes, until crispy. The thicker the bacon, the longer it will take to cook.
You May Like: Electrolux Vp2 Electric Salad Spinner
How To Make Ranch Potato Salad
Cook the potatoes. Choose Yukon gold potatoes of the same size or cut in half, cooking with the skin on. Season the cooking water with kosher salt to flavor them from the inside. When the skin begins to separate from the whites, the potatoes are done cooking. Allow the potatoes to cool to the touch, then peel and dice.
Prepare the Ranch dressing. Ive doubled my recipe for the homemade Ranch dressing. It will absorb into the potatoes as it sits and nobody likes a dry potato salad.
Add the chopped red onion and hard boiled egg. I love my egg slicer. It makes quick and clean work of chopping slippery hard boiled eggs. If green onion is more your thing, switch it up.
Mix, then give this salad a rest. Taste for seasoning and add more salt and pepper or onion powder to taste. Refrigerate this potato salad for at least 30 minutes up to 2 days prior to serving.
Cheddar Bacon Ranch Potato Salad
Every now and then, I love to splurge a little and have something deliciously satisfying and perfectly comforting, like this simple and hearty Cheddar Bacon Ranch Potato Salad!
This potato salad only takes 5 ingredients red potatoes, cheddar cheese, salty crispy bacon, creamy ranch dressing and sliced green onions. Whats not to love there? Yeah, this is a side dish youll have on repeat especially during these warmer months ahead.
Also Check: Cold Rice Salad With Mayonnaise
How To Avoid A Watery Potato Salad
A watery potato salad is likely caused by mixing the potatoes with the dressing while theyre still hot, which causes the potatoes to sweat and release water. The warm potatoes will also melt the dressing which makes it more watery/oily. The good news is, its very easy to avoid a watery potato salad by following these simple rules:
- Use an ice bath to cool the potatoes. An ice bath will quickly cool the potatoes through and through as opposed to just rinsing them which only cools the surface of the potatoes.
- Thoroughly drain the potatoes. The boiled potatoes will be full of water so make sure you sufficiently drain them in a colander after they have been submerged in the ice bath.
- Chill the potato salad before serving. Chilling the potato salad in the refrigerator for at least an hour will thicken the dressing and help it set.
Roasted Ranch Potato Salad
This roasted ranch potato salad is so easy to make and is wonderful to take to any gathering. The roasted potatoes really add a different layer to this potato salad! You can easily double this recipe for a larger group. The hardest part of making this salad is chopping up the potatoes. Easy Easy!
Don’t Miss: Bumble Bee Chicken Salad Bulk
Bacon Ranch Cold Baked Potato Salad
southern style no-frills simple potato saladpotato salad recipestraditional southern styleIf you make this or any of my recipes, I’d love to see your results! Just snap a photo and hashtag it #DeepSouthDish on social media or tag me @deepsouthdish on !
Are you on Facebook? If you haven’t already, come and join the party! We have a lot of fun & there’s always room for one more at the table.
Check These Recipes Out Too Y’all!Material Disclosure: Unless otherwise noted, you should assume that post links to the providers of goods and services mentioned, establish an affiliate relationship and/or other material connection and that I may be compensated when you purchase from a provider. You are never under any obligation to purchase anything when using my recipes and you should always perform due diligence before buying goods or services from anyone via the Internet or offline.150628/130511
As an Amazon Associate, Deep South Dish earns from qualifying purchases. See full disclosure for details.
Tips For The Best Potato Salad
- If time is limited, this recipe can be made in steps. The potatoes can be peeled, cooked, and stored in the refrigerator until the dressing is prepared. Or the potatoes can be cut and peeled, but if there is no time to cook them, then store them in a bowl covered in water in the fridge. The water will prevent them from turning brown.
- Dont overcook the potatoes or the salad will be mushy !
- When cooking, poke them with a fork. It should pierce the potato easily. Ensure you start the potatoes in cold water for even cooking.
- Allow the potatoes to cool completely before adding the dressing .
You May Like: Where To Buy Pomegranate Salad Dressing