Why Do I Use Blue Harbor Albacore Tuna
As a chef and home cook Ive opened many cans of Tuna over the years. From the small home use can to the restaurant size can. Im sure you experienced the same feelings as I have when you open up a can of tuna to a strong odor, a mushy texture, or an abundance of liquid. Its not very appealing and looks more like cat food than tuna.
With Blue Harbor Sustainable Albacore Tuna and Wild Pink Salmon you can be sure that each time you open the can youre the best canned tuna or salmon that money can buy.
Simply prepared with water and sea salt and sustainably caught each can or pouch of Blue Harbor Albacore Tuna will have that clean, fresh, mild taste that will let you taste the delicious flavor that tuna was meant to have.
In Florida you. can find Blue Harbor Tuna and Salmon at Publix, Target, Winn Dixie, The Fresh Market, Earth Fare, and GreenWise Market.
Click through the link to find Blue Harbor Albacore Tuna and Wild Pink Salmon at a store near you.
Tuna Macaroni Salad Recipe
Learn how to make the Tuna Macaroni Salad now at the comfort of your home! This is a simple dish you can make for dinner, for an evening snack, or even for potluck celebrations.
In a matter of a few minutes, you will be ready with a dish thats so simple but isnt underwhelming and is well-presentable.
Why You Will Love This Macaroni Salad
- Quick and easy to make: This tuna macaroni salad is so easy to make. With a handful or veggies mixed into a bowl, the pasta, and the dressing, this pasta salad is ready 30 minutes.
- So creamy and good: Made with a creamy homemade dressing with a combination of light mayo and Greek yogurt. Perfectly creamy.
- Versatile: Can be served as a side dish, at pot lucks and parties, or for lunch. Delicious and filling.
You May Like: Chili Cheese Frito Corn Salad
Tuna Macaroni Salad Creamy Dressing
Start by getting your pasta going while you work on everything else. Youll want to cook the elbow macaroni noodles according to package directions until al dente and tender.
My general method for cooking pasta is to add some cold water to a large pot, cover it with a lid , and bring to a boil. When boiling add some salt to the water then add the pasta and give it a stir. Cook for ten minutes and it should be perfectly tender.
Next, prepare the creamy dressing by combining the mayonnaise and seasonings together then set aside.
The tuna should be well drained so place a small colander over a small bowl and add the canned tuna so it can drain well while you prep the vegetables.
Dice the celery, onion and bell pepper into small pieces and have it ready to go when combining the whole thing together.
How To Make Tuna Macaroni Salad:
Cook macaroni according to directions on package. While pasta is cooking, drain cans of tuna well. Chop hard boiled eggs and shallot. In a separate bowl, combine mayonnaise, relish, celery seed, lemon juice, salt & pepper. Stir well to combine.
Stir in tuna.
Once macaroni is cooked, drain well and rinse with cold water until pasta has cooled. Pour drained macaroni into a large bowl. Pour mayonnaise mixture onto pasta.Then add chopped eggs and shallot, followed by thawed peas. Stir well.
Cover with plastic wrap and pop into the fridge for a couple of hours before serving.
Read Also: Best Salad For Kidney Disease
Cold Tuna Macaroni Salad
- 2cupscooked elbow macaroni
- 1 5ozcan tuna, drained, fork mashed
- 1/2cupgreen pepper, chopped
- 1/2cupred onion, chopped
- 1/2cupcelery, chopped
- Place all of the ingredients into a large bowl.
- Mix together all of the ingredients until well combined.
- Salt and pepper to taste and refrigerate until serving.
What To Add To Tuna Macaroni Salad
This recipe is straightforward and incredibly flexible! Use this recipe as a guide and add whatever ingredients you love to create the best tuna salad of your life!
Tuna macaroni variations
- Vegetables: The best pasta salads have an assortment of vegetables for color and texture. Try adding bell pepper, cucumber, zucchini, grated carrot, radishes, cherry tomatoes and even cauliflower!
- Herbs: I love dill, parsley and scallions, but you can use any fresh herb you love. Cilantro, chervil and thyme are also great options!
- Meats: Want a little more heft in your pasta salad? Add in diced ham, chopped turkey or crumbled bacon!
- Cheese: I love the subtle salty and nutty flavors of parmesan. But, cubes of sharp cheddar or mozzarella pearls taste great too!
- Extras: The best part of pasta salads is flavorful extras! Sweet pickle relish, chopped dill pickles, avocado, hard boiled eggs, olives, pickled vegetables or your favorite fixings will really make this salad shine!
Also Check: Market Salad At Chick Fil A
Karlynns Tuna Salad Recipe Tips & Tricks
Happy cooking everyone!
Love you more than chocolate!
While this post was generously sponsored by Catelli, all opinions and the recipe remain my own.
Hellmans Tuna Macaroni Salad
The original recipe clearly specifies to use Hellmans Mayonnaise, and I have to agree with her. But, if you cant find Hellmans or you have another favorite brand, go ahead and use it. It will still be tasty.
One minor change that I made to the original seashell salad is to use frozen peas instead of canned peas. Either can be used, just be sure to drain the canned first. I also let my frozen bag of peas thaw for a little bit before stirring into the Hellmans Tuna Macaroni Salad.
Also Check: Lemon Olive Oil Salad Dressing
Tips For Making Tuna Macaroni Salad Recipe
- Boil the pasta to al dente as it will soften up more as it absorbs the mayo- and be sure to salt the water!
- Cool the pasta completely before mixing the salad together.
- Do it by taste, not measurements. I listed the ingredients in the amounts that I personally enjoy but the amounts of ingredients are completely subject to your own personal tastes. Sometimes I vary it based on my mood as well.
- Feel free to mix it up and add different flavors that you like!
Healthy Tuna Pasta Salad: Overview
Just like the classic, this macaroni salad is incredibly simple to prepare and will still leave you with that familiar, comforting feeling! However, theres no soft, mushy pasta, overly sweet, thick shellac of mayonnaise dressing, stale flavor or unpleasant metallic aftertaste! This version is all about bright, fresh flavors, spot-on textures, and a lightened-up, flavorful creamy dressing.
This macaroni salad features tender and pleasantly chewy pasta, flaky tuna, crunchy celery, delicate green onions, sweet peas, pungent red onions, herbaceous fresh herbs and savory, salty parmesan cheese. The whole thing gets generously drizzled and tossed with a tangy, slightly sweet, impossibly creamy yogurt dressing. The end result? A complex, incredibly delicious tuna salad that is downright addictive!
Also Check: Arby’s Chicken Salad Sandwich Calories
Other Pasta Salads To Try
If you try a recipe and you like it, leave us some feedback in the comment section below, and dont forget to rate it! We would love it if you shared it with friends and family.
Finally, please use our hashtag #healthyfitnessmeals on for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW Healthy Fitness Meals on | | | for all of our latest blog posts and recipes.
Key Steps To Awesome Tuna Macaroni Salad
- Prep order is important. A truly great tuna macaroni salad is the coming together of several different elements hard-boiled eggs, seasoned chopped vegetables, perfectly cooked pasta, and a vibrant dressing and you should prepare each of those in that order. Boil the eggs while you chop the dressing. Marinate the vegetables while you cook the pasta. Make the dressing while the pasta chills. You goal is to have everything is ready and close to the same temperature at the same time.
- Season the vegetables. There are a couple of reasons to season or marinate the vegetables. First and foremost is flavor: the celery and peppers will be sweeter and the red onion mellows just a tad with the help of some salt and lemon juice. That salt and acid also help these vegetables keep their snappy texture in the creamy dressing.
- Shock the pasta. Shocking the pasta means rapidly dunking it into an ice bath after draining. The result is perfectly cooked pasta that wont overcook as it cools and wont absorb so much dressing that the salad will be dry or gluey.
- Use a mayo-yogurt dressing. Mayos richness is actually its downfall when it comes to pasta salad it makes what could be a delightful balanced salad heavy and gloppy. A mixture of mayo and whole-milk yogurt makes this salad sing. The tang of the yogurt matches the richness of the mayo, bringing the right degree of balance.
Also Check: Oxo Salad Chopper And Bowl
Storing And Serving Tuna Macaroni Salad
I find pasta salad a little tastier when it isnt cold from the fridge room temperature is ideal. That being said, you can make this pasta salad a whole day in advance and pull it out 30 minutes before serving it might even be tastier the next day. Be sure to taste and season it again once chilled, as cold temps dull the seasoning of the dish. A little salt and a few cracks of pepper are just the thing.
How Do I Make Tuna Macaroni Salad Deluxe
The first step is cooking the pasta you want to use for your Tuna Macaroni Salad. After cooking and setting the pasta to cool, you can make the dressing for the salad.
*Refrigerate the dressing while you continue making the salad.
Add the chopped onions, celery, olives, shredded carrots, tomatoes, cheddar and parsley to the cooked macaroni. Mix all the ingredients together.
Add the drained Blue Harbor Albacore Tuna to the pasta salad.
**I used two cans of tuna but if you want to add more of the delicious tuna to your pasta salad use three cans.
Mix the dressing into the Tuna Macaroni Salad and top with crispy bacon bits and parsley.
Youre family and friends are going to love my Tuna Macaroni Salad. Its the perfect treat for your next get-together or just to treat your family.
**Remember that recipes are guidelines and you can always adjust my recipe to meet your preferences or dietary needs. Or add your favorite ingredients to add your personal touch!
How are you going to use Blue Harbor Albacore Tuna in your recipes? After one taste youll be hooked on Blue Harbor and the fresh, clean flavor of sustainably caught, hand-selected albacore tuna!
Don’t Miss: How Many Calories In An Egg Salad Sandwich
Ingredients You Need To Make Macaroni Tuna Salad At Home
- Tuna: I prefer solid white tuna, but chunk light tuna works just as well. Just make sure you select a good quality tuna that is packed in water, not oil. Tuna packed in oil adds unnecessary calories, plus it will make the salad too oily and greasy tasting.
- Pasta: I like to use elbow macaroni in my pasta salad however any small or medium dry pasta will work well!
- Celery: Two large ribs of celery add plenty of crunch!
- Fresh Herbs: Thinly sliced green onions, chopped dill and parsley provide delicate herbaceous flavor.
- Frozen Peas: Sweet baby or petite peas provide subtly sweet, fresh tasting flavor! Make sure you defrost the peas under cool running water.
- Red Onion: Finely chopped red onion gives the salad color and mild sharp flavor.
- Parmesan: Freshly grated parmesan adds complexity to the salad.
- Dressing: A healthier creamy Greek Yogurt dressing provides a serious punch of flavor!
Notes About An Old Fashioned Macaroni Salad With Tuna:
- Seashell pasta is also called small shells. Macaroni pasta works too!
- The original old fashioned macaroni salad recipe calls for canned peas that are drained. Feel free to use this type instead of frozen peas, if desired.
- I prefer Albacore tuna in this tuna macaroni salad, but chunk light tuna works too.
- Substitute mild cheddar cheese or any other cubed cheeses that you prefer.
- Did you know that the grocery store sells cheddar cheese in cubes? To save time, go ahead and buy these instead of cutting your own cheese.
- Onions and green pepper are optional in this tuna macaroni salad.
- Making this ahead? I always think pasta salad needs more moisture if it sits in the refrigerator over night. To prevent a dry pasta salad, add more mayonnaise.
- Check out our for our favorite pantry essentials and kitchen gadgets.
Read Also: Ambrosia Salad Recipe With Fruit Cocktail
How To Make Tuna Macaroni Salad Ahead Of Time
The saddest thing about this salad is that the lettuce will get wilty and even soggy if stored for more than a few hours in the fridge.
So, if you want to make it a day or two ahead, do everything in the recipe except for adding the sliced iceberg lettuce. Add the lettuce when it’s time to serve.
Simply Recipes / Mihaela Kozaric Sebrek
How To Make Macaroni Salad With Tuna:
Don’t Miss: How To Make Healthy Salad At Home
What Is Tuna Pasta Salad
Tuna pasta salad is a classic American salad side dish featuring canned tuna, cooked noodles, fresh vegetables and a flavorful dressing. Pasta salad with tuna is typically tossed in either a creamy mayonnaise-based dressing or silky vinaigrette and almost always served chilled.
Pasta salad is generally served as a side dish however, it can also be served as an appetizer or main course.
What Ingredients Do I Need To Make Tuna Macaroni Salad Deluxe
Lets start by gathering the ingredients we need to make Tuna Macaroni Salad Deluxe. In Chef Speak this is called the Mise en Place which translates to Everything in its Place.
Not only does setting your ingredients up ahead of time speed the up cooking process, but it also helps ensure you have everything you need to make the dish.
Recommended Reading: California Pizza Kitchen Thai Crunch Salad
What Is Tuna Macaroni Salad
The tuna macaroni salad is a quick dish you can make if you want something relatively easy to do for dinner or for a snack. This salad is made of elbow macaroni pasta, and partnered mainly with canned tuna, garnished with onions, celery, sweet pickle relish, and cheddar cheese.
The good thing about this dish is that it doesnt need to be cooked, and you dont need it to be eaten hot, and you can eat it anytime you want.
Best Tuna Macaroni Salad
If you do want to freshen up your tuna macaroni salad so that it looks creamier and moist the next day, heres how I do it: in a small bowl add about a quarter cup of mayonnaise with a teaspoon of lemon juice and a couple of dashes of Old Bay then mix to combine.
This small amount of dressing tossed with your tuna macaroni salad will do the trick to freshen it up before serving.
My inspiration for the dressing came from my best tuna salad recipe that is also very popular and my instincts were spot on. This tuna macaroni salad recipe is incredible!
Mr. J. loved it too and I sent all of the leftovers with him to work the next day to share with all of the guys that he works with and they all loved it.
What to serve with tuna macaroni salad? Enjoy the tuna macaroni salad recipe as the complete meal or pair it with a side of fruit, potato chips, cup of soup or half a sandwich.
Read Also: Jersey Mike’s Chicken Salad
Tips From The Betty Crocker Kitchens
- tip 1 If you make the salad ahead of serving time, take it out of the refrigerator for a few minutes to take the chill off. If the salad seems dry , stir in 1 to 2 tablespoons milk or half-and-half to moisten.
- tip 2 A handful of coarsely chopped parsley stirred in just before serving will brighten the color and flavor.
- tip 3 Replace one can tuna with a can of chunk chicken, pink salmon or ham to make a delicious salad that works nicely with the mayo dressing spiked with pickle relish, or try a 1 to 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard instead of the relish.
- tip 4 Macaroni-shaped pasta is tailor-made for salads because it wont fall apart when mixed up with other ingredients. Try other short, sturdy pastas for picnics or potlucksfusilli, shells, or rotini.