The Simple Green Salad
A green salad is a great friend to the home cook. Once youre deep into making dinner, figuring out how to also get a fresh vegetable on the table can seem impossible. Enter the simple green salad. Just a serving of fresh leaves, it doesnt need much more than a vinaigrette, but if you like the taste and color that come with a sprinkle of shredded carrots, finely sliced onions or diced tomato, they absolutely belong in your bowl.
Here Are My 11 Salad Making Tips For Restaurant Quality Salads
You can also watch my videos that will guide you on how to make salad dressings and some of my favourite salads.
Like what you see here? Stay connected with me on , , BlogLovin and .
Classic Green Salad Recipes
Simple Butter Lettuce Salad . Composed of tender butter lettuce leaves, briny green olives and salty slivers of aged manchego, our butter lettuce salad is a feast for the eyes and the palate.
Mediterranean Wedge Salad. Iceberg lettuce, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers and pickled onions make this Mediterranean-inspired riff on a classic wedge salad recipe fresh and delicious.
Butter Lettuce Salad with Honey Mustard Vinaigrette. In this simple butter lettuce salad, vibrant lettuce leaves live their best lives, dressed in a tangy homemade vinaigrette and accompanied by creamy avocado and crisp radishes.
Simple Italian Salad. If youre just discovering this classic Italian salad recipe for the first time, congratulations! Meet the perfect side salad to accompany all your Italian pasta, chicken or fish dinners!
Read Also: Jason’s Deli Nutty Mixed Up Salad
How To Prep My Salad Bar:
I order all of my groceries online from Grocery Gateway, which is an online grocery store that’s been around for 20 years!
I’ve never ordered groceries online before and I was super impressed at how easy and convenient it was. I already had my grocery list at the ready so I just searched and found everything on the site and then ordered it. No different than ordering yoga pants online . I got to choose a delivery date and time, and before I knew it: a knock was on the door. And there were two boxes full of goodies. Chickpea dog was just as excited for the unboxing as I was.
If you want to try delivery groceries, Grocery Gateway was kind enough to offer all my readers $15 off your order. For both new or existing customers, just use this one-time case sensitive code by entering: GGSam2017 at checkout .
I must admit, I was a little worried that whoever was picking my produce wouldn’t put the care into it that I normally do. I was considered they would choose lettuce that was old or a red pepper that had a squishy spot. But I was delighted to find that everything was fresh and perfect. They even deliver beer and wine! Pre-tay cool, this chick approves.
Once I had my groceries at the ready, it was just a matter of whipping up my salad dressings and chopping up some veg. Before I knew it, I had an at-home salad bar ready to go in no time.
How To Make An At Home Salad Bar
Looking for instructions on how to make the ultimate at home salad bar? You’ve come to the right place!
Vegans like salad, I admit it. But I mean really everyone should like salad. We all know it’s good for us. But what if one person only likes romaine lettuce, whereas someone else demands nothing but spinach? What if one person detests raw onions and the other says that salad isn’t complete without raw onions? .
What if one person is having a BBQ or dinner party and they need to serve everyone salad but they have no idea what kind of salad anyone attending likes? The answer, you guessed it, this guide is for you: How to Make an at Home Salad Bar. All the options, that will make everyone happy!
You May Like: Annies Salad Dressing Gluten Free
Lentil Salad With Feta
Heres a top-notch lentil salad recipe to add to your arsenal, and man is it tasty. This fresh and healthy lentil salad is Mediterranean-style, mixed with fresh veggies, feta cheese and pistachios. Its a delicious way to add protein to a vegetarian meal as a side dish, or bring to work as a lunch throughout the week. You won’t be able to stop eating it! Or try: French Lentil Salad
How To Eat Salad Every Day And Like It
Love these salad recipes? Check out the eBook for How To Eat A Salad Every Day for more fantastic salad ideas, dressings, and tips to simplify your salad making!
With this eBook, if youre grocery shopping, meal planning, or just trying to eat more salads, youll have this information at your fingertips whenever you need it.
How To Eat Salad Every Day And Like It! could also be called My FAVORITE Salads .
This post was first published three years ago and almost immediately it became one of the most popular posts on this site. Im updating the post today to answer some of the more frequently asked questions.
Many of you have commented on my daily salads that I share on , and you asked for a post sharing tips for making the daily salad happen.
Today Im sharing all of my favorite salad recipes, the toppings, fillings, and more in one giant blog post. I promise you now, that if you give it a try, this just might rock your salad eating world.
I made you this video to show how I do this. Be sure to check it out!
While Id like to say that Ive always been a fan of salad, that hasnt always been true.
Ive always tried to love eating salad, but unless I went to the trouble of making a really great salad , it was hard to get excited about eating a salad most days.
That all changed when I topped my salad with a handful of Fritos for the first time. I know, that sounds completely ridiculous, but Im telling you now that Fritos are a salad game changer.
Also Check: What Goes On A Cobb Salad
Tips For Storing Salad
- Make ahead instructions: Almost all of these salads can be made ahead of time. My biggest suggestion is to store the ingredients separately from the dressing, and toss when ready to serve. To prep ahead of time, you can chop up all the ingredients and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- How to store: If you do have leftovers, most salad can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Refer to the specific recipe post for complete storing instructions.
- How to customize. Most salad recipes are versatile and completely customizable. You can add in different vegetables or add in extra protein such as grilled chicken, grilled shrimp, salmon, or tofu.
How To Cut Lettuce Romaine
Youll want to use romaine for a side salad. Ive used other greens like, mixed greens, leaf lettuce and head lettuce and although theyll do in a pinch, those types of lettuce dont measure up to romaine. However, whats even better than just romaine is a combination of TWO different kinds of greens
Using Spinach Too
Using fresh spinach along with romaine is definitely optional but it REALLY adds a delicious texture to the salad.
Even as someone whos not a huge fan of spinach salads, I always try to incorporate a small handful of chopped spinach in to this salad now because it makes a wonderful difference.
How to Cut Romaine Lettuce
The key is chopping the lettuce into small pieces and removing the white part because it can overpower and cause your salad to taste bitter.
Have you ever eaten a chopped salad at a restaurant and found the texture and flavor to be so much more amazing than a head-lettuce or romaine salad with all of the white crunchy pieces like you typically find on a salad bar?
This is why its so good. The lettuce is easier to eat, less bitter and so much more enjoyable.
Best Knife for Chopping Lettuce
To chop, Im OBSESSED with my favorite Wusthof Santoku knife. Not just for salad, but for everything when chopping or cutting. Pricier? Yes. But soooo worth it. My uncle convinced me to get one, one day, and hes now my favorite uncle.
You May Like: Chuck E Cheese Salad Bar
There Are A Few Things That Make It The Best Green Salad:
I have to thank my mother-in-law for teaching me how to make the BEST of the best when it comes to side salad recipes. The woman has some serious salad skills and I couldnt wait to share her secret with you. Dont worry, I asked for her permission!
For this side salad, there are two ingredients and a certain way to cut the lettuce.
I bet you even have the two ingredients in your pantry!
: Fnm: Piqaunt: 353tif
Justin Walker , 2012 Justin Walker
34. Creamy Caper-Herb: Whisk 2 tablespoons each mayonnaise, dijon mustard and red wine vinegar, 1 minced shallot, 2 tablespoons chopped capers, 1 tablespoon each minced chives, parsley and tarragon, and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt. Gradually whisk in 1/2 cup olive oil. 35. Creamy Vegan: Pulse 2 teaspoons each dijon mustard and cider vinegar, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, 1/4 cup olive oil and 1/2 cup soft tofu in a blender until smooth. Stir in 1/2 cup mixed chopped chives, parsley and chervil. 36. Creamy Curry: Whisk 1/3 cup each Greek yogurt and mayonnaise, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, 1 1/2 teaspoons roasted curry powder, 1 teaspoon honey and 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt. 37. Orange-Walnut: Whisk 2 tablespoons orange juice, 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, and pepper to taste. Gradually whisk in 3 tablespoons each walnut oil and olive oil. 38. Thousand Island: Whisk 1/2 cup mayonnaise, 1/3 cup sweet chili sauce, 2 tablespoons each sweet pickle relish and chopped chives, 1 chopped hard-boiled egg and the juice of 1/2 lemon. 39. Green Goddess: Blend 1/2 cup each mayonnaise, sour cream and fresh parsley, the juice of 1/2 lemon, 2 chopped scallions, 3 tablespoons chopped tarragon and 3 anchovies in a blender until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
You May Like: Fiesta 7 1 4 Inch Salad Plate
: Fnm: Mangolime: 389tif
Justin Walker , 2012 Justin Walker
8. Mango-Lime: Purée 1 chopped peeled mango, the zest and juice of 1 lime, and 1 teaspoon each dijon mustard, sugar and kosher salt in a blender. Gradually blend in 1/4 cup rice vinegar and 1/2 cup vegetable oil. 9. Italian Soak: 2 tablespoons minced red onion in cold water, 15 minutes drain. Pile 1/2 garlic clove, 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, 1 teaspoon dried oregano and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt on aboard chop and mash into a paste. Whisk with 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar and the onion. Gradually whisk in 1/2 cup olive oil. 10. Creamy Italian: Blend 1/4 cup mayonnaise, 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar, 2 tablespoons each sour cream and olive oil, 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning, 1 garlic clove and 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt in a blender. Stir in 1 tablespoon chopped parsley.
11. Lemon Balsamic: Whisk 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 2 teaspoons dijon mustard, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, and pepper to taste. Gradually whisk in 1/2 cup olive oil.
Tips For Perfect Salad Every Time:
- Chill dressing. It thickens it up and helps keeps the cold salad cold. Want to take it one step further? Serve salad on chilled plates.
- Rinse lettuce. Most of the time youll find a little bug or debris in there.
- Spin lettuce dry in a salad spinner. This is the best way to thoroughly dry lettuce leaves. If lettuce leaves are still wet dressing wont cling to the leaves and sort of just puddles at the bottom of the bowl.
- Use fresh grated cheese. The pre-shredded cheeses have a powdery cellulose coating and it doesnt taste as good.
- If time allows make homemade croutons.
- Serve immediately after you add salad dressing, the dressing starts to wilt the leaves and soak into the croutons and the salad gets sort of soggy.
You May Like: How To Make Healthy Salad Dressing
How To Make A Good Salad
I like to keep my salad pretty simple. Especially when its the starter for a beautiful dinner.
Below youll find my recipe for a simple dressing that brings out and enhances the natural flavors of greens without disguising or over powering their delicate and fresh flavors.
Turn ordinary salads into delicious salads.
And if you have a favorite tossed salad recipe, let me know, Id love to give it a try.
Now that youre a salad making expert youre probably looking for more ideas to make your best tossed green salad recipe for your next meal. Try the technique on these mixed green salad recipes.
Dont Forget About Protein
The best way to make a salad more filling is to add your favorite protein. Bacon, sliced deli turkey, grilled chicken, seared steak, smoked salmon or hard boiled eggs are go-to additions for restaurants. If youre following a vegetarian or vegan diet, look for plant-based proteins like black beans, lentils, edamame, tempeh, tofu, quinoa, wild rice or nuts.
Recommended Reading: Chicken Salad Chick Olivia’s Old South
The Best Salad Recipes With Chicken
From baked to grilled and even shredded, theres so many ways to add chicken to your salad. The key here is to nail down how you cook the chicken and how its presented in each bowl. Heres a few favorites:
- Mandarin Chicken Salad: Shredded chicken marinated in a lemon vinaigrette is piled high with sweet mandarins, avocado, and crunchy toppings. The perfect throw-together salad.
- Southwest Chicken Salad: If earthy, bold flavors are your jam, this salad will have you salivating. Cilantro lime chicken is topped on a bed of greens, tomatoes, corn, beans, onions, and drizzled with a creamy avocado dressing.
- Greek Chicken Salad: Think Greek side salad turned into a hearty main dish. Its all the flavors you love, plus savory chicken.
- Cobb Salad: This classic American salad makes the most of simple ingredients like poached chicken, eggs, avocado, and of course, bacon.
How To Make The Best Salad :
- Make the dressing, chill: Add olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, dijon and honey to a jar. Add salt and pepper. Cover and seal with lid, shake to blend. If needed stir up honey if it sticks to bottom of jar. Chill in refrigerator while you prepare remainder.
- Toast almonds: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spread almonds into an even layer on a small baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven until just lightly golden brown, about 6 10 minutes, tossing once halfway through toasting. Remove from oven, set aside to cool.
- Cook bacon: Increase oven temperature to 400 degrees. Line a rimmed 18 by 13-inch baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place bacon strips on baking sheet in a single layer. Bake in preheated oven until browned and nearly crisp , about 13 18 minutes .
- Drain excess fat: Transfer bacon to a plate lined with paper towels and let cool. Once cool chop bacon into small pieces.
- Prepare lettuce: Rinse lettuce under cold water and run though a salad spinner in batches to dry well. Add lettuce to a large serving bowl.
- Toss salad ingredients: Add in almonds, bacon, tomatoes, Swiss cheese, and parmesan cheese. Shake dressing again then pour over salad, toss salad then add croutons and toss again. Serve immediately.
Recommended Reading: Can Too Much Salad Cause Constipation
Dont Be Afraid To Skip The Lettuce Entirely
Most salads start with lettuce, but great restaurants know to think outside the box. Mix it up with kale, chicories, watercress or arugula. Or, skip the lettuce altogether and build a salad from your favorite vegetables. Peeled zucchini, radishes, green beans or tomatoes can stand on their own without needing a green salad mix.
How To Make Homemade Croutons:
- Cut hearty day old bread into cubes about 3/4-inch, measure out 4 cups.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place bread pieces close together on a rimmed 18 by 13-inch then drizzle slowly and evenly with 2 3 Tbsp olive oil, then toss to coat.
- Spread bread across baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper and some Italian seasoning .
- Bake in preheated oven until golden brown and crisp, tossing once halfway through, about 15 20 minutes total.
- Cool and store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer for longer shelf life.
Read Also: What All Goes In Chicken Salad