More Easy Lunches Youll Love
- 2cupschickenchopped & cooked, leftover or rotisserie works great!
- 2tablespoonsplain greek yogurt
- ½red pepperfinely diced
- cupwater chestnutschopped, or diced celery
- 2tablespoonsalmondschopped, optional
- Stir together mayonnaise, greek yogurt, scallions, dijon, lemon juice & salt/pepper.
- Toss with remaining ingredients.
Grandmother’s Tips For Best Ever Chicken Salad:
1. This yummy chicken salad recipe can be served on a croissant or other type of bread as a sandwich or you can serve it with as a salad.
2. This is one of the most wonderful salads. The combination of textures and flavors are always a hit and it is popular as a take along for an event such as potlucks or picnics.
3. It is great for lunches. We show it in a large croissant which makes a great serving for a hungry person but you can also buy the little croissants and make more of a finger sized serving.
4. Can be served in any type of bread sandwich as well.
Our Opinion of the BEST Chicken to Buy:
To us, the most important part is is that the chickens are being ethically and humanely treated. Chicken farming, like most food industries, is such a controversial industry where there are many versions of a story depending on who is the one telling it. Our best case scenario is personally knowing the farmers, seeing their farm and chickens and asking them personally about humane treatment of their flock.
In Canada, if I don’t know the farmer directly, I will most likely want to purchase Certified Organic or SPCA Certified, both of which have much better than the minimum standard of care. Here you can look at the Comparisons of Canadas Codes of Practice, SPCA Certified Standards and the Canadian Organic Standards.
Look for a SPCA Certified retailer in your Canadian location here: SPCA Certified Retailers.
Chicken Labeling Definitions in Canada:
Freshly ground pepper
Fancy Chicken Salad Recipe
We call this Fancy Chicken Salad because of the dressing, grapes, and pecans, but its truly easy. This is a fresher and lightened-up version of classic chicken salad and its perfect for meal prep.
This is the perfect side dish or main course. Its especially easy if you use leftover Roasted Chicken. Watch the video tutorial and see how simple it is.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
We love protein-packed salads like our Chicken Avocado Salad, Autumn Chopped Chicken Salad, and Cobb Salad. This creamy chicken salad is really the best combination of chicken salad and Waldorf salad that will become a go-to for lunch.
Read Also: Acacia Wood Salad Bowl Set
Pineapple Chicken Salad With Grapes
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Chicken Salad with Grapes is the perfect simple meal and a great twist on a classic Chicken Salad. Its flavorful with lots of texture and color.This easy salad can be made with leftover Oven Baked Chicken Breasts or rotisserie chicken!
Serve this as an easy weeknight meal with a tossed salad or make it ahead of time to enjoy for lunch throughout the week.
In partnership with Nestea
Ingredients For Chicken Salad
The 5 ingredients in this chicken salad are so simple, but each one is important for the best taste, texture, and color.
- Chicken we use 2 large chicken breasts from a whole roasted chicken, but you can use rotisserie chicken or sauteed chicken breasts instead. Leftover dark meat chicken will also work.
- Celery adds a great crunch to the salad and lightens up the flavor. Even if you arent a fan of celery, dont skimp on it and I hope you give it a try.
- Grapes add sweet juiciness to the salad. Just like in our Broccoli Grape Salad, the grapes are a refreshing addition and make the salad feel fancy.
- Pecans we toasted nuts on a dry skillet to give them even more flavor.
- Red onion finely chop half of a medium red onion, or you can add red onion to taste. You can also substitute for chopped green onion, but red onion keeps better refrigerated.
Also Check: How Much Is A Taco Salad At Wendy’s
Light And Creamy Chicken Salad Made With Cooked Or Canned Chicken Red Onion Crisp Celery And Just The Right Amount Of Seasoning Best Chicken Salad Ever Is Our Version Of This Family Favorite Recipe
I have been blessed to have had some really fantastic everyday recipes shared with me over the years and this is one of them. This recipe for the Best Chicken Salad Ever is in regular rotation in our house because it is so versatile!
Delicious as a sandwich, in a wrap, and even on its own right out of the bowl, this is less expensive than the deli version and super easy to make. If you havent tried it, you really should. It could become a new favorite in your house too.
Tips For Perfect Chicken Salad:
- Be sure to let chicken chill first before adding to the dressing otherwise it will warm the dressing and it just wont be the same.
- Add in a fruit if desired. Its good with diced grapes or apples . Sweeten the dressing with a hint of honey to pair with it.
- Add in a nuts for more crunch. Pecans, walnuts or sliced almonds are good choices.
- Use fresh herbs for added flavor. I like to use parsley but this is also delicious with 2 tsp chopped fresh dill.
- For the creamiest chicken salad use full fat mayonnaise.
- If using a rotisserie chicken buy a large chicken or 2 small to have enough chicken breast meat.
Don’t Miss: Lactose Free Salad Dressing Recipes
How To Make Chicken Salad:
Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and mix well. Add salt and pepper to taste.
It really is that simple to make and so much better than anything store bought. You will save money by making it home.
Serve immediately as a sandwich or over salad. If you are trying to eat low carb, just make a lettuce wrap or serve in a salad.
Delicious Chicken Salad Recipe:
Chicken Salad is always a hit during the summertime BBQ, sitting by the pool or at a picnic. With very minimal ingredients you can transfer form cooked chicken in a filling salad.
Thankfully, we have done all the work for you and have the best chicken salad recipe. It has the perfect combinations of everything for an amazing chicken salad!
Our entire family loves this and it is so easy to make.
Don’t Miss: Where Can I Get A Grilled Chicken Salad
Chicken Salad With Walnuts And Grapes
Grapes, walnuts, and chicken come together in a creamy mayo-sour cream dressing. Toss this tasty salad in 20 minutes and serve it on bread, lettuce leaves, or with mixed greens with slices of avocado. It makes a great last-minute lunch if you have leftover chicken or turkey. Add radicchio for a pungent crunch, or use crushed roasted seaweed for a salty and crunchy texture.
How Do You Make Chicken Salad
This salad recipe is so easy to make! It consists of prepping the ingredients and mixing together the dressing.
Don’t Miss: Chicken Salad Chick Northport Al
How To Poach Chicken
I love to use poached chicken in this recipe as its easy, healthy, and flavorful. It also means you dont have to turn your oven on if its a hot sunny day outside. A definite bonus.
If done correctly, poaching can yield one of the most tender pieces of chicken youve ever had. To nail this every time, follow the simple steps below.
Can you use baked chicken or store-bought rotisserie chicken? Of course. While I prefer poached chicken, almost any chicken works in this recipe. Just make sure you have about four cups of diced or shredded chicken.
Best Ever Chicken Salad
About this Recipe
It is normal to be skeptical when something is called the ‘Best’. It is an overused word, and we admit we use it a lot when it comes to recipes and cooking in Grandmother’s Kitchen. But how can you describe something that really tastes like the best version of that particular recipe that you have ever eaten? So, we will admit in Grandmother’s Kitchen, many recipes get labelled the best because in our taste buds they simply are that good!
Read Also: Is Jason’s Deli Salad Bar Unlimited
The Best Chicken Salad
This Chicken Salad is truly divine. At first glance you might balk at the grapes, but trust me, they make the salad exquisite. The sweet crunch of the grapes combines beautifully with the chicken and richness of the mayo. The celery and pecans create nice crunch to the chicken salad that elevates it to the next level.
I love using this for picnics and special lunches. It is so easy to make but it is so fancy at the same time. Chicken Salad comes together in a flash so you can have this on the table in no time. And you will love how it is so versatile as well, serve it as a wrap, on a croissant, on some rye bread, or in a lettuce bowl. However you serve it, just make it! You are going to love it, it is so divine!
How Long Does Chicken Salad Last
In the Refrigerator? This recipe keeps well in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Simply store in an airtight container. Refrigerate right after serving.
Left Out at Room Temperature? For food safety, I like to stick to what the FDA advisesthe two-hour rule.which applies since this recipe has chicken and mayonnaise, you should not leave this out at room temperature for any longer than two hours.
Left Out at Picnic or Potluck? If you are serving this at a summer event and the temperature is warmer, you should be extra careful to refrigerate as soon as possible. Again, I look to the FDA for their safety rule. If the outside temperature is above 90 degrees, the two-hour rule becomes ONE hour.
Recommended Reading: Good Seasons Salad Dressing Mix
How To Cook Chicken For Chicken Salad
I love the convenience and flavor of a rotisserie chicken here , but you can definitely cook the chicken yourself .
- To slow cook chicken breasts simply place 3 medium boneless skinless chicken breasts or 2 large bone-in skin on chicken breasts in a slow cooker, season with salt and pepper, cook on low 3 5 hours until cooked through .
- Poach chicken in simmering chicken broth until cooked to 165 in center.
- To bake chicken see this method. You wont need to use all the seasoning just salt and pepper.
- You could even pan sear the chicken. Pound boneless skinless chicken breasts even then season with salt and pepper. Sear in 1 Tbsp oil in a skillet over medium-high heat until 165 in the center, about 5 6 minutes per side.
How To Make The Best Chicken Salad
Lets get started!
Place the diced chicken, celery, green onions and grapes in a large mixing bowl and stir to combine.
In a medium-sized bowl, combine all remaining ingredients to make the sauce and stir to combine.
Scoop the mayo sauce over the chicken salad and stir to combine, making sure the chicken salad is thoroughly coated with the sauce.
Cover and chill in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours before serving.
Read Also: Where To Buy Amish Potato Salad
Crunchy Middle Eastern Chicken Salad
The Spruce Eats / Anita Schecter
Give your chicken salad a Middle Eastern spin with this impressive recipe. Greek yogurt tahini serves as the dressing, and it’s easy to make with just a few ingredients. That’s mixed with shredded chicken, carrots, almonds, cilantro, and za’atar seasoning, which you can whip up, too. Try this salad on naan bread with baby spinach.
The Chicken Salad With The Very Best Chicken: Southern Livings Chicken Salad
- Overall rating: 7/10
- Read my full review: My Honest Review of Southern Livings Classic, No-Frills Chicken Salad
What this recipe lacks in ingredients it makes up for in texture. The poaching method produced a very juicy and tender chicken, which really shone in the final salad. Next time, Ill add some salt and a few extra aromatics to the poaching liquid, which would really enhance the chicken flavor.
The author does recommend adding any number of riffs to the salad, and I can see this recipe functioning as a good base for whatever salad you want to create.
Don’t Miss: Avocado Chicken Salad Wendy’s
How To Make Chicken Salad
EXPERT TIP: Cook the chicken up to 3 days before assembling and serving. You can also make the homemade mayonnaise several days in advance, too!
Although chilling the salad after its mixed is recommended, we think to let the salad return to room temperature is great for taste when serving.
Watch us show you how easy it is to make this truly incredible recipe!
The Best Chicken Salad Dressing
This is similar to the dressing we love for our popular Broccoli Salad, except we didnt add any sugar or honey since the grapes add plenty of sweetness. This dressing is creamy, tangy and adding sour cream makes it lighter than just using mayo.
- Mayonnaise use real mayo for the best flavor.
- Sour cream we use full-fat sour cream, but you can substitute it with low-fat sour cream or fat-free Greek yogurt.
- Lemon juice be sure to use freshly squeezed and not from concentrate.
- Dill finely chopped fresh dill is our favorite, but you can substitute with 2 Tbsp of finely chopped fresh parsley.
- Salt and Pepper added to taste
Don’t Miss: Oxo Good Grips Salad Spinner Large
The Biggest Disappointment: The New York Times Chicken Salad
- Overall rating: 6/10
- Read my full review: The New York Times Promised Me Plush Chicken. Heres What I Got.
I went into the showdown fully expecting this recipe to win. I was excited to try out the unique poaching method that yielded plush chicken, and the combination of scallions, herbs, and crunchy things like nuts and celery sounded delicious. Unfortunately, the method left my chicken pink after two hours, and after reheating it as instructed, the promised plushness was lost.
With that said, I did enjoy the add-ins, and I would make this recipe again using a different method for cooking the chicken.
Other Favorite Recipes You May Like
Baked Buffalo Chicken Dip The recipe that started it all! This Baked Buffalo Chicken Dip uses Deli chicken salad to add a delicious twist to a potluck favorite!
Bite Sized Sausage Rolls the BEST bite sized sausage rolls that I have ever tasted. Yum.
Party Pretzel Bites these delicious little bites are addictive and always welcomed at any gathering.
Quick and Easy Bruschetta restaurant quality Bruschetta is hiding in the ingredients in your refrigerator!
Easy Homemade Ranch Dip just seven simple pantry ingredients to create a delicious and easy Homemade Ranch Dip!
Don’t Miss: How To Make A Good Pasta Salad
Make Chicken Salad Again And Again With These Kitchenware Essentials
Stir together gently
Until everything is thoroughly coated.
Now, if youre feeling particularly naughty and saucy and feisty, please sprinkle in some homemade OR, in my case, STOREBOUGHT bacon bits. Again, dont overdo itjust a little bacon flavor will do.
Now, I have fried up thick, peppered bacon, chopped it fine, and sprinkled it in the chicken salad before, and it was almost too delicious for me to bear. So try that sometimebut enter at your own risk.
Now, taste it, salt it, pepper it, add more dillwhatever you need to do to make it perfect. Just remember to fold/stir gently throughout this process.
And when youre finished, do this! Because Martha might be watching.
Now, just allow the chicken salad to chill several hours or even overnightlong enough for the flavors to really meld.
Then, when youre ready, just serve the chicken salad on a bed of lettuceor in hollowed-out heads of cabbage, or hollowed-out bell peppersor put it on English Muffins, top with cheese, and broilor stir in with shell pasta for chicken pasta salad. Yum.
Or! If youre me, you can do this:
Grainy wheat bread.
Toasted. And did you know Id been married nine years before I even owned a toaster? True story.
Baby Spinach. And plenty of it.