Tips For The Best Potato Salad
- Use waxy potatoes which hold their shape better than starchy potatoes.
- DO NOT overcook the potatoes or your potato salad will be mushy.
- Pour the dressing over the potatoes while they are still warm this allows them to better absorb its flavor.
- Taste and season with salt both right after you stir the potato salad together AND again before serving. Potatoes drink up salt and need more salt than you think, or they will taste bland.
- Go heavy on the Greek yogurt dressing. While I ordinarily prefer a lightly dressed salad, when it comes to potato salad, creamy is king.
Easy Creamy Potato Soup Recipe
Here is a creamy potato soup recipe thats easy and delicious. Loaded with potatoes and made in one pot, this recipe is a keeper! Potatoes are considered comfort food for many. Whether its potato curry or twice baked potatoes, there is a comforting recipe for everyone to enjoy. I love this creamy potato soup recipe
Why You’re Going To Love This Recipe
I grew up having potato salad as a side dish at every bbq. The one my mother made was made with mint and quite yummy, but the main ingredient was storebought potato salad dressing, something which I don’t use. Instead, using mayonnaise you have more control over the contents of the potato salad.
My kids like this, although in all honesty, Master 8 would never admit it. He put up such a show of hating it this week, but then stole half the portion I was eating as leftovers! Here’s why you’ll love it too:
- quick and easy to make
- 5 ingredients- so nothing difficult!
- perfect flavours for a bbq
- the kids can make it
- make it in advance- you can prep it the night before, meaning you look like the host with the most when the guests turn up
- travels well for when you have to bring something to a bbq
You May Like: What Do You Put In Tuna Fish Salad
Vinegar Enhances The Flavor
When the potatoes are warm, they are better at absorbing flavor. Toss in two tablespoons of distilled white vinegar right after cooking, stir and allow to sit for 20 minutes. The vinegar infuses into each piece, giving some acidity to the mild potatoes and balances the rich dressings creaminess. If desired, you can substitute apple cider vinegar for a milder taste.
Easy Potato Salad Recipe
My grandmother’s Easy Potato Salad recipe is a staple at almost every summer picnic, cookout and holiday celebration. Best of all, the crowd-pleasing side dish comes together with just 5 ingredients!
While there are dozens of varieties of potato salad out there, sometimes simple is best! This easy potato salad recipe is made without eggs, comes together with just a handful of kitchen staples, and requires very minimal effort. It’s the perfect side to pair with barbecue, burgers, fried chicken or just about any grilled meat.
This traditional potato salad recipe comes from my grandmother, who shared it with my mom, who then shared it with me. We’ve been enjoying the dish for three generations…and counting! It’s just one of those recipes that instantly reminds me of the women that I love most, and I hope it becomes a regular in your family’s home as well.
Read Also: Arby’s Chicken Salad Sandwich Calories
The Best Potatoes For Potato Salad
- Waxy potatoes, such as red potatoes, new potatoes, or fingerling potatoes are the best for potato salad. They have the least amount of starch so they retain their shape well and wont turn to mush. Their thin skins also mean that you dont need to peel them first, a timesaver.
- Avoid making potato salad with starchy potatoes, like russet potatoes. They wont hold up during cooking. Save your starchy potatoes for Baked French Fries and Air Fryer French Fries.
- For an in-between, you can make potato salad with Yukon gold potatoes, which are a great all-around potato that works in potato salad, Homemade Scalloped Potatoes, Crockpot Potato Soup, and more.
- Sweet potatoes also make a yummy potato salad! Check out this Sweet Potato Salad for a recipe.
- Hard Boiled Eggs. They make the potato salad even creamier and their flavor is a total classic.
Perfect Baked Potato Recipe
Here is an easy baked potato recipe to keep on hand. With crispy skin and fluffy inside, these potatoes make the perfect side dish! Baked potatoes are some of my favorite side dishes and there are different methods to make them. We have recipes for air fryer baked potatoes and grilled baked potatoes and today
Recommended Reading: Is Olive Garden Salad Dressing Gluten Free
Potato Salad For A Crowd
What I love about potato salad is that it serves a lot of people without a lot of effort, and it’s so easy to make a good one.
I love using Yukon golds, though you can use any potato. My dad likes using russets in his potato salad. This recipe is for potato salad with sour cream – using it as a binder makes it extra creamy.
Tips For Making The Best Potato Salad
- You can also make your own mayo. To make your own mayo all you really need is an egg and 3/4 cup vegetable oil. Place them in a cup and use a an immersion blender. Within a few seconds youve got homemade mayo!
- Be sure to use a waxier potato to ensure it soaks up all that dressing, other potato varities can leak water and result in a runny dressing.
- Salt your water while the potatoes boil. Just like pasta, potatoes soak up the salt and add some flavor to our dish.
- Celery seed will give a delicious boost of flavor to this dish, so add sparingly if you have some lying around.
Recommended Reading: Does Chick Fil A Have A Salad
The Best Potato Salad Recipe
This easy potato salad recipe is made with a few simple ingredients, including potatoes, eggs, and our favorite spices.
Looking for an easy potato salad recipe just like mom, or grandma, used to make? Look no further because this recipe will be that one for you.
This classic potato salad is sure to be a hit and the ultimate side dish for any summer gathering or as a Thanksgiving side.
Ingredients you will need:
- 8 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 cups of water
- 2 tbsp dill
Can I Make Potato Saladin Advance
Usually potato salad is served cold making it a great make ahead salad. You usually make the salad a day or two ahead and store it in fridge to chill.
But herb potato salad needs to be tweaked a little bit if you want to make ahead. Herbs in the creamy potato salad after a day or two will begin to wilt and loose its freshness and color. To make this salad ahead, cook potatoes, add in seasoning and cashew mayo, stir everything. But do not mix in the herbs. When you are ready to serve, toss fresh herbs into the salad and serve.
Don’t Miss: Wendy’s Apple Pecan Chicken Salad
How To Make An Easy Classic Potato Salad:
- Peel and cut the potatoes into quarters .
- Drain and lightly mash with a fork or potato masher .
- Add the diced onion and celery then with your finger over the top of an apple cider vinegar bottle, lightly coat the potatoes with the ACV. Doing this while the potatoes are hot is an important step.
- Combine the ingredients for the dressing as the potatoes are cooling and stir to combine.
Cook’s Tips And Recipe Variations:
- It’s important to put the potatoes in the pot of water before you heat up the water and bring it to a boil. This ensures even cooking. If you drop the potatoes into already boiling water, the outside of the potatoes will cook quickly, while the inside will stay hard.
- Boil the potatoes whole. Do NOT dice or peel the potatoes before they go in the water. Cutting or dicing the potatoes causes them to release steam while cooking, which will result in a mushier potato.
- The potatoes will take about 15-20 minutes in the boiling water to become fork-tender. If you’re using baby potatoes, they may only require about 10 minutes, so keep a close eye on them — you don’t want to overcook them and end up with mushy potatoes.
- How much potato salad per person? It’s safe to assume that 1 pound of potatoes will feed about 3-4 people. In this case, 2 pounds of potatoes for the potato salad yields about 6-8 servings. If you plan to feed 20 people, you will need to triple all of the ingredients. To feed 50 people, you will need about 8 batches for 100 people, about 15 batches…and so on.
- Optional additions to the old-fashioned potato salad: Garnish the dish with any fresh herbs that you enjoy add a sprinkling of paprika just before serving stir in cooked, crumbled bacon add a few hard-boiled eggs include a dollop of mustard or stir in some pickle relish. Take the basic recipe and make it your own!
Recommended Reading: Whole Foods Sonoma Chicken Salad
More Easy Side Dishes
Here is my favorite way to make coleslaw. With a generous amount of acidity from apple cider vinegar and Dijon mustard.
Our broccoli salad with bacon has cranberries, red onion, and a zesty dressing made with mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, and apple cider vinegar.
I love crunchy salads. This vinegar-based cucumber salad is addictive.
This pasta salad with orzo is full of goodness. Theres a simple lemon vinaigrette, cucumber, olives, artichokes, tomato, and fresh herbs. Or take a look at our easy pasta salad with mozzarella and parmesan .
Recipe updated, originally posted May 2013. Since posting this in 2013, we have tweaked the recipe to be more clear. The recipe video has also been updated. To watch the original video , watch it on YouTube Adam and Joanne
Whats In Potato Salad
I spent many a summer afternoon making and taste testing this salad alongside my amazing mama, just like she did with hers. In fact, Ive made it so many times I dont even need the recipe. You know a recipe is that good when you know it by heart.
Heres the ingredients youll need for this classic potato salad:
- Yukon gold potatoes
- white vinegar
- kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
Also Check: Tuna And White Bean Salad
How To Make The Best Simple Potato Salad Recipe
Because this salad is made from boiled potatoes, we need to boil the potatoes first. So, put the whole potatoes, without peeling them, in a soup pot, pour the water until they cover them well and put it boil. Dont forget to put a teaspoon of sea salt in the water.
While the potatoes are boiling, we can cook the onions. Peel the two onions and chop them not very finely.
Put the chopped onion in a bowl, in which you will make the potato salad. Season the onion with a teaspoon of sea salt, half a teaspoon of freshly ground pepper and 100 ml of sunflower oil.
Mix everything and let the onion sit, soften a little, until the potatoes boil. After the potatoes have boiled, drain the water and let them cool almost completely, so that we can work with them.
If the potatoes have cooled, we peel them, because I dont like to use potato peels in salads.
Now we can cut them, I preferred to cut them into cubes but they can also be sliced. I chose to cut them directly in the bowl over the onion.
Mix lightly, then continue seasoning. Hot potatoes have the property of absorbing a lot of oil and flavours, so we need to add a little more aromas.
For the beginning, finely chop the chives.
Add the chopped chives over the potatoes. Season with another half teaspoon of freshly ground pepper and a teaspoon of sea salt. If the salad is too dry, add more sunflower oil, I put another 100 ml.
Cook The Potatoes And Eggs
Put the lid on the Instant Pot, making sure the sealing ring is in and the pressure valve is closed. Set it on Manual, High pressure, for 5 minutes.
It will take 10-15 minutes for the Instant Pot to reach pressure. Once it has reached pressure and finished cooking let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes.
Read Also: Salad And Go Phone Number
Recipe Tips And Variations
- Make ahead: Make up to three days in advance and store covered in the refrigerator.
- Shelf life: Potato salad should not sit out at room temperature longer than 2 hours. According to the USDA, If the potato salad was held in excess of 41°F for over two hours, then discard. Its better to be safe than sorry.
- Mix-ins: Make this potato salad your own by adding cooked bacon, fresh chives or other herbs, minced pickles or relish, peas, capers, or slivered radishes.
How To Boil The Perfect Eggs
Read Also: Jack In The Box Salad Prices
Easy Simple Classic Potato Salad
Potatoes, celery and onions tossed in a classic mayo dressing simple ingredients make the best recipes!
If you google potato salad on the internet you will quickly discover that there are several ways this recipe can be made. It all depends on who you ask and what part of the country they were raised in. A majority of them, I have found, include eggs. And a good majority have bacon.
What surprised me though was how many of them had pickles or sweet pickle relish.
This is my moms classic potato salad recipe. I watched her make it a hundred times. There are no hard boiled eggs, there is no bacon, there are no pickles.
What is there? Potatoes.
Sometimes simple and classic are where its at.
She and I differ a little bit in HOW the potato salad gets made though .
How To Make The Best Potato Salad
Theres no need to be intimidated. Potato salad is very simple to make. With a few tricks, youll be making it like a pro in no time. While were on the subject of potatoes, you should know that we love them around here! Here are a few more favorite recipes: Our go-to mashed potatoes, these easy baked sweet potato fries, and our smoky roasted fingerling potatoes with a dipping sauce inspired by this recipe!
Don’t Miss: What Is The Best Salad Dressing For High Cholesterol
Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs
I can now make the perfect hard boiled eggs using my Instant Pot! The Instant Pot makes it so the eggshells come off very easily and the yolk is a perfect yellow.
I have tried every way out there to make perfect hard boiled eggs and this way is the best! It also makes the most delicious Egg Salad recipe and deviled eggs!
Cool The Potatoes And Eggs
Once the pressure has release for 5 minutes release any remaining pressure and take the lid off. Use a spoon to carefully take out the eggs. Place the eggs in a dish of ice water to chill them.
Take the steamer basket out of the Instant Pot and dump the potatoes in a colander so they can cool also. You dont have to chill the potatoes, just run them under cold water for a minute or two and let them sit at room temperature.
You May Like: Chicken Salad Chick Job Application
The Best Potato Salad Recipe Ever
My moms potato salad is better than your moms potato salad.
There, I said it and Im not taking it back! *wink*
Seriously though, my mother has magical abilities in the art of potato salad making. My mom makes traditional mustard, pickle, and hard-boiled egg potato salad. Its simple, but I have never made or tasted another potato salad better than her version And Im not the only person to think so.
Over the years Ive watched countless relatives and friends swoon over her classic potato salad.
The problem is, when you ask her for the recipe she has a hard time sharing it, because she doesnt actually have a recipe written down. She makes it by feel.
Its taken years of watching, assisting her, and asking questions to come up with what I consider to be her recipe.
Want to know moms secrets?
Crispy Air Fryer Potato Chips
These crispy air fryer potato chips are delicious! Youll need only 3 ingredients to make this easy crunchy snack! Seriously, I dont know what I would do without my air fryer! I make all kinds of dishes in it and the results are always great! Our air fryer baked potatoes and sweet potato fries are
Don’t Miss: Oxo Salad Chopper And Bowl
What Makes This Red Potato Salad So Great
With favorite flavors like bacon and ranch, this is the summer version of a loaded baked potato.
It’s the perfect side dish for grilled chicken, fish, or even burgers. I find the potatoes cook faster if I cube them first , then boil.
If you’re not a fan of bottled ranch dressing, you can make your own with buttermilk and mayonnaise. Try this homemade ranch dressing recipe from Spend with Pennies.
These flavors go so well together. I’d love to know if you give this recipe a try. Just leave a comment below!