Cherry Tomato Salad Recipe
Chop cherry tomatoes into halves.
Slice red onions.
Place chopped tomatoes, sliced red onions in a salad mixing bowl.
Drizzle with olive oil and red wine vinegar.
Season with crushed peppers and salt to taste.
Sprinkle fresh chopped basil leaves .
Gently toss everything together.
Let thesalad sit at room temperature for about an hour before serving.
Serve the salad with grilled chicken or any grilled meat.
TRY OUR OTHER FAVORITE SUMMER TOMATO RECIPES:
How To Serve Tomato Salad
This salad is pretty darn delicious with just about everything.
If you try making this Easy Tomato Salad Recipe, please leave me a comment and let me know! I always love to hear your thoughts.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TOTHE FORKED SPOON NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE WEEKLY RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX!
For the Red Wine Vinaigrette
- ¼cupextra virgin olive oil
- 2tablespoonmaple syrup–
- salt + black pepper-to taste
For the Salad
- 4-5largeripe tomatoes-washed, dried, and sliced
- 2cupslettuce-I used romaine lettuce, feel free to use butter lettuce or any type of mixed green
- ½small red onion-thinly sliced
More Tomato Recipes You Will Love
A delicious and easy Tomato Salad with simple ingredients that bring out the best that sweet sun-ripened tomatoes have to offer.
- Beth Pierce
- 2 large ripe tomatoes diced
- 1 cup halved grape or cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh torn basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
Recommended Reading: What Is Word Salad In Schizophrenia
Easy Cucumber Tomato Salad In 10 Minutes
We love serving this refreshing Cucumber Tomato Salad as a side dish, at potlucks, and even as a light lunch. No matter how or when you choose to enjoy it, youre going to fall in love with this easy to make summertime salad! Its filled with fresh flavor and simple, yet mouthwatering ingredients.
What really makes this simple salad stand out is the homemade dressing. While the cucumbers, tomatoes, and onions are definitely delicious all on their own, its the dressing that elevates it. With that being said, the dressing is delightfully simple! We like to keep the dressing simple here so the natural flavors of the veggies are enhanced, not overpowered. Its a mixture of olive oil, red wine vinegar, Italian seasoning, and just a pinch of salt and pepper.
This easy tomato cucumber salad is ready in just 10 minutes and travels very easily for a party. So grab your fresh veggies and a mason jar and lets get started!
Why Is This Summer Tomato Salad The Only Tomato Salad I Will Eat
You would think that my hatred for raw tomatoes would literally make me averse to a raw tomato salad.
I thought the same until I prepared this summer tomato salad in the way that I did.
And let me tell you I absolutely LOVE it.
I am a firm believer that you can love any ingredient if you know how to prepare it the way you like it.
Which is what I did here with this summer tomato salad.
It is tangy from the balsamic vinegar, sweet from the fresh summer tomatoes, the bite from the shallot, and the fresh pop from the fresh basil.
Recommended Reading: What Dressing Goes Best With Cobb Salad
How To Make Cucumber And Tomato Salad
Prepare the veggies. In a medium sized bowl, add cucumbers, tomatoes and red onion. Set aside.
Make The Dressing. In a mason jar, add olive oil, red wine vinegar, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Shake to combine dressing.
Toss the salad. Pour dressing over salad and toss until the salad is thoroughly coated.
Rest. Serve immediately, or if you have time, let the salad rest 10 minutes on the counter before serving. Cover and refrigerate salad until ready to serve.
Tips For Tomato Salad
- I use bocconcini mozzarella balls for this salad. These little cheese bites come packed in water in tubs in the deli area. You can also use diced fresh mozzarella if you prefer.
- I like to keep my basil leaves whole so that they dont turn black in the salad. If youd like to chop your basil thats fine too, just be aware that cut basil leaves will discolor as they sit in the salad.
- I use a mandoline to shave my red onion into the thinnest possible slices.
- I recommend serving this salad soon after its prepared, as the tomatoes can get mealy in texture if they sit in the fridge.
You May Like: The Art Of Salad Menu
The Best Marinated Tomato Salad Recipe
Say hello to my new favorite addiction. One of my friends asked me to make this and honestly, I had never heard of it. I grew up in the north, all we knew in summer were cream puffs, grilled corn, brats and beer. None of this fresh marinated tomato salad stuff like in the south.
Man was I missing out!
Im absolutely in love! The fresh bite you get from the tomatoes, with the fresh herbs, the hint the strong onion, red wine vinaigrette and its over. Just pass me the jar! We love this marinated tomato salad on its own, but it also makes a great appetizer or topper to all the things. Ill give you some ideas later.
Quick Spanish Tomato Salad
A wonderfully flavorsome quick Spanish tomato salad. Make it in minutes, eat right away, or leave it to chill in the fridge at your leisure.Make sure to have plenty of crusty bread to mop up the tomato juices, olive oil, garlic, and balsamic mix!
Ive taken a few liberties with the ingredients, Spanish tomato salad traditionally doesnt have feta or almonds or balsamic glaze, but they really elevate the dish.
You May Like: Tuna Salad Sandwich Recipe With Egg
How To Make Marinated Tomato Salad
This tomato salad comes together very quickly but packs maximum flavor, which is what I love about it. It has quickly become our favorite summer salad or a great appetizer too.
Dressing For Cucumber Salad
Not much is needed here, as were really wanting to let the fresh flavors of the cucumbers, tomatoes and onions shine. Im using equal parts oil and vinegar because I simply adore how the vinegar really boosts the flavors.
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
PRO TIP: You can also use a white wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar in place of the red wine vinegar. Itll change the flavor slightly, but should still be amazing!
Read Also: Cold Noodle Salad With Spicy Peanut Sauce
How Do You Make Tomato Salad
This recipe starts with the ripest tomatoes you can find. Of course, if you can grow your own tomatoes theyll have the best flavor, but the farmers market is also a great place to look. The tomatoes are cut into bite sized pieces then mixed with fresh mozzarella balls, thinly sliced red onion and whole basil leaves. A red wine vinaigrette goes over the top, then everything gets tossed together. You can serve your salad immediately, or let the tomatoes marinate in the dressing in the fridge for up to 2 hours.
Why We Love This Tomato Cucumber Salad Recipe
- Quick and easy to make in 15 minutes.
- Uses fresh produce plus pantry-staple ingredients for the dressing.
- Healthy recipe is rich in essential nutrients, such as potassium and vitamin C.
- Packs a punch of fresh flavor with a satisfying mix of taste and texture.
- Pairs well with most main dishes or sandwiches and looks pretty on a summer picnic table.
- Perfect for a casual side dish for dinner or for feeding a crowd at a potluck or BBQ.
Read Also: Pottery Barn Melamine Salad Plates
How To Make Cucumber Tomato Salad
There really is no wrong time to make this bright and flavorful salad, but when the cucumbers and tomatoes are in peak season , thats when this lovely side dish recipe shines.
- Combine the cucumbers, tomatoes, onions and herbs in a large bowl.
- Place the dressing ingredients in a small mason jar and shake.
Tomato Salad Recipe Ingredients
Heres what youll need to make this tomato salad recipe:
- Tomatoes, of course! Use as many shapes and colors as you can get your hands on! I like to use a variety of heirloom tomatoes plus a few colorful cherry tomatoes.
- Red onion For sharpness and crunch.
- Red wine vinegar and olive oil Instead of whisking together a separate dressing for this salad, I save myself a bowl and just drizzle the tomatoes with olive oil and vinegar. The oil adds fruity richness, while the vinegar makes the tomatoes tangy and bright.
- Flaky sea salt It helps all the flavors in the salad meld and pop. I also like how the flaky crystals add a delicate crunch!
- Freshly ground black pepper For a peppery kick.
- Gremolata This Italian condiment is a mix of fresh parsley, lemon zest, and garlic. It adds fresh, zippy flavor to this simple tomato salad.
- And fresh basil If Im making a tomato salad, youd better bet that youll find lots of fresh basil on top.
Find the complete recipe with measurements below.
BIG TIP for this recipe: Because were only using a handful of ingredients here, the quality of each one counts. First and foremost, you should use the best tomatoes you can find. If youre a gardener, throw in a homegrown tomato or two! Otherwise, look for heirloom tomatoes at your local farmers market or grocery store.
Beyond that, if you happen to have a nice bottle of olive oil or vinegar handy, nows the time to break it out! Youll really taste it in this fresh tomato salad.
You May Like: Acacia Wood Salad Bowl Set
How To Make A Tomato Salad
This healthy tomato salad is really one of the most simple sides. In this easy salad recipe, I simply combine garden fresh tomatoes, onions and a sprinkle herbs.
You can cut your tomatoes in half if theyre cherry tomatoes but if you have other garden tomatoes, just bite sized chunks is great. You dont need to drain them or remove the seeds. I often make tomato salad with feta or bocconcini if I have it on hand.
Bocconcini is a small egg shaped ball of mozzarella cheese. It is mild in flavor on its own, but as it is a soft cheese, it absorbs flavor to add a delicious dimension to the flavor and texture of this salad. You can generally find bocconcini in the deli department.
If the bocconcini is hard to find in your grocery store, you can substitute feta , but I prefer the wonderful creaminess of bocconcini in this dish.
To make the Tomato Salad Dressing I simply toss the tomatoes with red wine vinegar, olive oil and salt & pepper. If you prefer, you can also make tomato salad with balsamic vinegar. For the herbs, I use whatever I have that is fresh from my garden. Favorites are basil, dill, parsley and oregano.
I love to pair this fresh tomato salad with grilled meat, like grilled chicken breast or lemon grilled pork chops. If you are lucky enough to have leftovers, this salad keeps well in the refrigerator, allowing the flavors to marinate. I love eating it the next day for a healthy lunch.
How Do You Make Cucumber Tomato Salad
- Whisk together all the ingredients for salad dressing. Check for seasoning. Salad dressings should be on the saltier side so that when they are added to the veggies, the flavors balance themselves.
- Add all the veggies to a large bowl, and toss well with the salad dressing. Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving. Mix again right before serving.
Juice tomatoes, crisp cucumbers and red onions add sweetness, freshness and punch to this super versatile salad. Feel free to swap grape tomatoes for cherry or heirloom. I like to keep the skin on on the cucumbers because it adds so much colour, and saves me some time. We love using red onions and I recommend that you dont swap them for white. I know that some people think the flavour is too strong, but you can get rid of the bite by soaking them in water for 10-15 minutes before slicing. This retains the flavour but takes away the sting. And when these three combine and soak in that delicious sweet and tart dressing, everything becomes juicy, but stays crisp. And every bite is a burst of flavours.
We are using basil and parsley here because basil and tomatoes are a match no one can argue with. But feel free to go with your favourite herbs. I love dill and even thyme works nicely here. But if Im honest, parsley and basil are my favourites.
Also Check: Which Salad Dressings Are Keto Friendly
What Are The Best Tomatoes To Use In This Salad
I used plum tomatoes for this recipe, but you can use whatever is ripe and what you have on hand will work well. Cherry, heirloom, and Roma are all great choices.
Have you noticed how much tastier homegrown or farmers market tomatoes taste? It must be because they are grown with lots of love and care. And no pesticides.
How To Cut Tomatoes For Salad
Cherry Tomatoes Remove the stem and then cut in half from length wise. Depending on their size you can cut tomatoes into halves or cut it into quarters.
Feel free tomix different colors of tomatoes, red cherry tomatoes, yellow grape tomatoes.
There is nothumb rule on the size of tomatoes you need to have for tomato saladrecipe. Any size of tomatoes will work.
Other Tomatoes If using large tomatoes like roma tomatoes score the tomatoes and cut into half lengthwise. Cut each half into 8 lengthwise pieces. Cut each of those into halves.
Recommended Reading: Oxo Good Grips Small Salad Spinner
Tomato Salad With Basil
The most classic of all combinations come together in this juicy Tomato Salad sweet ripe tomatoes with fresh basil leaves drizzled with a simple vinaigrette. This can be made with any type of fresh tomatoes including cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes but they must be ripe!
How To Make Creamy Cucumber Tomato Salad
One bowl and 15 minutes is all thats needed to make this salad.
Chop up more tomatoes and cucumbers than you need and set them aside, so you can make this salad again tomorrow!
Grab a large salad bowl first.
Cut the cucumber into slices, probably around 1/4 thick. Not too thin so that they are flimsy but also not too thick.
Then, cut those rounds in half. Its easier to eat when theyre about the same size as the tomatoes. Add to the bowl.
Use a sharp knife to cut tomato wedges. First, cut the whole tomato in half, place the flesh side up, and cut 1 wedges. Repeat with the other half and transfer to the salad bowl as you are chopping.
Slice tomatoes and chop dill, add to the bowl. Now add sour cream, grated garlic, salt and pepper. No need to make salad dressing separately but you can if you wish.
Using a spoon rather than tongs, gently stir the ingredients together. Start from the bottom of the dish in the middle and use a circular scooping motion upwards.
It might appear hard thing to do at first but veggie juices will soon mix with sour cream thinning it out and forming delicious creamy dressing.
Rotate the bowl as you go just to make sure everything is combined. Were aiming to avoid destroying the tomatoes!
Best to serve immediately or within next 6 hours, and cover any leftovers for 24 hours.
You May Like: Panera Bread Greek Salad Dressing
How To Buy Good Tomatoes
What To Serve With Fresh Tomato Salad
This is delicious straight out of the bowlwe speak from experiencebut you can also use it as a way to add a little excitement to other simple dishes and meals. Here are a few ways to serve tomato salad:
- Serve simply over good, crusty breadmaybe homemade sourdough bread, if thats your thingas a light lunch or hearty appetizer.
- Toss the tomato salad with some al dente pasta for the simplest, summeriest pasta dish ever. Add some cubes of brie while the pasta is still hot, and youve got yourself a decadent dinner.
- Serve it spooned over perfect soft scrambled eggs.
- Tossed simply with some greens to make a delicious green saladthe juices from the tomato salad are all the dressing you need. Add a little feta cheese and / or slivers of red onion to dress it up a bit.