What Kind Of Bread Is Best For Egg Salad
I recommend using a SOFT bread for egg salad.
I recently discovered Daves Killer Bread in the bread aisle in my grocery store and definitely recommend it. Its made with great ingredients, and there are all kinds that are much healthier than other bread-aisle breads. I like the thin-sliced organic 21 whole grains and seeds version.
Breads that have been well-toasted, or chewy breads like baguettes, arent great for egg salad because its such a delicate filling, so it will squish out the sides if the bread isnt also soft and delicate.
Egg Salad Serving Options
Egg salad can be served so many different ways. The options are pretty much endless, but here are a few of the ways I enjoy egg salad:
- Sandwich. Egg salad is traditionally served on sandwich bread and even though its super simple, its pretty darn delicious. You can even jazz it up by serving it on croissants or a toasted bagel.
- In lettuce cups. If youre looking to keep things really light, filling lettuce cups with egg salad is a great choice. So fresh and crisp!
- With crackers or chips. My kids love to spread egg salad over buttery crackers and I have to admit, its incredible. You can also use the egg salad as a dip and dip crackers or chips in it.
- Wrapped in a tortilla. Spoon a serving of egg salad in a wrap or tortilla for an egg salad wrap.
How To Boil Eggs For Egg Salad
You can make your hard boiled eggs any way you like. I usually just buy already boiled eggs at the grocery store. That way I can enjoy this healthy egg salad at a moments notice. Here are some great boiling options, though. With all options, its important to immerse the eggs in a bath of ice water immediately after cooking to stop the cooking process. Leave in ice bath for about 15 minutes to chill. Then, peel and chop the eggs.
- Air fryer method. Set the temp to 250ºF and cooked eggs for 16 minutes.
- Stove top method. Fill enough water in a large pot that will cover the eggs by 1-inch, once added. Bring water to a boil and then carefully place eggs in the hot water. Boil the eggs for 30 seconds, place the lid on the pot and reduce heat to low. Cook eggs on a low simmer for 12 minutes.
- Instant Pot method. Place eggs on a trivet, add 1 cup of water and select Pressure Cook for 5 minutes, then vent immediately.
- Oven method. Bake eggs for 25 minutes at 325°F.
Don’t Miss: Tomato Mozzarella Basil Balsamic Salad
Different Types Of Yogurt:
Theres so many different types of plain yogurt out on the market now. The possibilities are endless. From Icelandic yogurt to other international style yogurts, theres lots to choose from for this recipe. Theyre all great and have slightly different textures and flavors. Some are creamier than others and some are more tart. Thats why its fun to explore all your options the next time youre at the store. Greek yogurt is still the most popular yogurt but have fun for all your different matches of this egg salad!
How To Boil Eggs For Peeling
This is always a chore. The good news is that these eggs are going to be chopped up so there is less of a concern about peeling them perfectly as you might for deviled eggs. Still you want the process to be easy if possible. There are many options out there and I’ve tried a few. However, I always go back to , and most of the time it works for me.
You May Like: What Goes In Tuna Fish Salad
What Makes This Egg Salad Healthy
This healthy egg salad is very similar to the classic egg salad recipe. But I make it healthier by:
- Swapping the mayo for Greek yogurt. Greek yogurt has lower calories, lower fat and higher protein making it very diet friendly. Plus its super creamy, so it creates a rich consistency that we all know . However, if youre doing a Whole30 or prefer to eat paleo and/or dairy free, simply use a healthy, whole food mayonnaise. I like Primal Kitchen Real Mayo made with avocado oil.
- Adding chives or green onion to the mix. This addition bulks up the egg salad so it feels like were eating more quantity, but the calories are actually less per serving. It also gives the egg salad a nice crunch, which is so good.
- Serving options. Get creative with how you serve egg salad. I love topping rice cakes with my egg salad and they add very little calories to my meal. You can also go low-carb , and serve the egg salad in a lettuce wrap or on top of a bed of greens, which makes it perfect for those following a keto or Whole30 diet.
Perfect Egg Salad Recipe
The key to the perfect egg salad sandwich is of course the hard boiled eggs so be sure to check out my tips for getting perfect hard boiled eggs every time. I like to leave the eggs in nice big chunks, and then salt and pepper them before mixing them with the rest of the ingredients for the best flavor. You can also use an egg slicer to get perfect cuts.
Also Check: Panera Bread Green Goddess Salad
Curried Egg Salad For Two
Are you a fan of delicious flavor, crunchy textures, and egg salad made without mayo? Then youre going to love this quick and easy curried egg salad for two, its made with Greek yogurt instead of mayo!
If youve tried our Sriracha Egg Salad Sandwich, then you already know were not a traditional eggy salad kind of house.
Instead, we prefer a lightened-up and higher protein version thats loaded with flavor and lots of textures like this curried egg salad.
- Curry Powder for an earthy, sweet, and slightly spicy flavor.
- Creamy plain Greek yogurt and tangy apple cider vinegar
- Sweet raisins because anything curry + raisins = delish!
- Plus lots of Crunchy Goodness: celery, green onions, and cashews
We like to eat this salad served with red bell pepper scoops or on top of thick cucumber slices.
If youre looking for a filling lunch, the salad tastes great stuffed between two slices of bread or in a pita along with big leaves of curly lettuce.
However you serve it, I hope you enjoy this hearty, protein-packed curried egg salad for two.
Recommended Tools To Make This Recipe
- Saucepan with Lid. A large, saucepan with a tight-fitting lid is all you need to make simple hard-boiled eggs.
- Knives. A chefs knife and paring knife are my two most-used knives for everyday kitchen tasks.
- Mixing Bowls. This set of nesting glass mixing bowls will forever have a spot in my cabinets .
You May Like: Is Salad A Good Diet Food
Egg Salad With Greek Yogurt No Mayo
May 21, 2021
Egg salad is a traditional staple any time of year. However, if you are looking to cut some fat and calories try this easy egg salad with Greek yogurt recipe for a tasty healthier option.
I’ve made egg salad with mayonnaise, mustard, salt, and pepper for years. However, when I realized that there was a way to make Greek yogurt taste more like mayo, I decided to try it for a healthier low calorie, lower fat option.
Best Egg Salad Recipe
In my opinion, you can never go wrong with egg salad its tasty, takes minutes to put together, and is packed with protein. I know there are tons of egg salad recipes out there, but I think this one is the best. Its easy to make, simple, filled with fresh flavor and healthier than most. You simply cant go wrong with this egg salad recipe. This one has been in my family forever and is always a picnic favorite!
Also Check: How To Make Easy Chicken Salad
How To Eat Egg Salad
There are lots of ways to enjoy egg salad and that is a very good thing because if you are like us, you will be eating A LOT of egg salad after Easter:)
You can make a sandwich, put it in a wrap, serve with crackers or chips, put in a lettuce cup, or add it on top of a bed of greens. You can also eat it plain, right from the bowl.
What is the best bread for egg salad sandwiches? You can use hearty whole grain bread, sourdough bread, white bread, croissants, or even bagels! Gluten-free bread also works well if you need a gluten-free option.
Egg Salad With Greek Yogurt
I love this easy and simple egg salad with yogurt dressing. It reminds me so much of the Russian potato salad Olivier that I grew up eating.
This egg salad is tossed in a creamy Greek yogurt dressing with a hint of fresh lemon and paprika. Its so creamy and fresh at the same time.
I love to scoop some up into a leafy lettuce cup or serve it over a crisp crostini for an effortless light lunch.
Recommended Reading: What Is A Good Chicken Salad Recipe
How To Make Avocado Egg Salad
- To make egg salad, you do need hard boiled eggs. We love making our eggs in our Instant Pot. They turn out perfect EVERY time. If you dont have an Instant Pot, you can hard boil the eggs on the stove.
- Once you have your hard boiled eggs, you can whip up this easy Avocado Egg Salad in a matter of minutes.
- I use two hard boiled eggs and two hard boiled egg whites. I like using a mix to keep the egg salad on the lighter side. If you want to use all hard boiled eggs, you can do that too.
- Make sure you use a ripe avocado so it will mash right into the egg salad. The avocado is a game changer and makes the egg salad EXTRA creamy!
- Instead of using mayonnaise, I use plain Greek yogurt to make this healthy egg salad recipe. I promise you wont miss the mayo. This egg salad without mayo is my favorite. I love the extra boost of protein the Greek yogurt adds.
- For extra flavor, I also add in green onion, fresh lemon juice, and Dijon mustard.
Egg Salad With Yogurt And Dill
- 8 large eggs, boiled and peeled
- 1/3 cup low-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh dill
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Here’s my healthy makeover of egg salad. Traditionally, it has lots of mayonnaise and is high in fat and calories. I’ve substituted Greek yogurt for most of the mayo and honestly, I like the taste better. This recipe has all of the protein and nutrition of eggs combined with high protein, low fat yogurt. It’s hard to believe something this creamy is really good for you. Fresh dill gives it great flavor, too.
I let the food processor do the work in this recipe, so it’s super fast and easy to make.
Weight Watchers Points: This egg salad recipe has 3 points per 1/3 cup serving.
Step 2. Assemble the ingredients. Low-fat Greek yogurt, mayonnaise, black pepper, salt, boiled eggs, fresh dill, and lettuce.
- Note about the yogurt: Strained yogurt is thicker and will prevent your egg salad from getting watery. Greek yogurt is already strained. I used the Fage brand, because it is particularly thick and creamy however, it is more expensive than unstrained yogurt. It’s easy to strain your yogurt yourself here’s how.
Step 4. Mince the dill. Don’t include the dill stalks, just chop the lacy part.Step 5. In a separate bowl, combine the yogurt, mayo, salt, pepper, and dill.
You May Like: Where Can I Buy A Chicken Salad Chick Gift Card
Making Egg Salad Without Mayo
Mayo doesnt always work for everyone, so we found an alternative that still works to make a creamy and delicious egg salad.
We used a full fat coconut yogurt, which is a creamy and tangy yogurt similar to a traditional Greek yogurt. It has a mild flavor that blends perfectly with the other ingredients and seasonings in this recipe.
If you cant find or dont want to use coconut yogurt, some other options are:
- Regular Greek yogurt
- Almond yogurt
Recipe Tips: Secrets To A Great Egg Salad:
- You want good quality, fresh organic eggs.
- Follow the instructions for cooking eggs, you want a perfect hardboiled egg to add to your salad.
- Whisk and season your dressing well. You want a lovely creamy dressing to fold into your eggs and it should be flavorful. Taste your dressing and adjust the seasoning before adding it to the eggs.
Recommended Reading: Gordon Ramsay Chicken Salad Masterclass
How To Make Curried Egg Salad
Start by making the creamy seasoned base of your egg salad.
Grab a medium bowl and mix together the yogurt, vinegar, curry powder, salt, and pepper.
Weve tried this recipe with and without turmeric.
Tim said the turmeric version was his favorite. I could take it or leave it.
So if you like turmeric, add it. If you dont, leave it out.
Either way tastes great.
Next, use a fork to mash the hard-cooked eggs into the egg mixture. You could always chop the eggs if you want but I find this method gives the salad a nice contrast of chunky and smooth textures.
Give the mixture a taste and adjust the seasonings as needed.
Lastly, stir in the celery, scallions, raisins , and nuts.
If youve been properly storing fresh parsley and have some in your fridge, throw it in there too. You can never go wrong adding fresh herbs, they make everything better.
Now grab a pita chip, bell pepper scoop, or slice of cucumber and dig in!
How To Make Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs
The key to making a delicously creamy egg salad is to have perfectly cooked eggs. Eggs that have been cooked for too long are dry and can have affect the texture of the egg salad.
Here’s how to do it: cover the eggs with water in a pan, and cover the pan. Bring the eggs to a boil. Leave the cover on and turn the heat off. Allow the eggs to sit in the hot water for 10 minutes.
Also Check: How Do I Make Pasta Salad
What To Serve With
- Healthy Coleslaw This creamy yet healthy coleslaw recipe stars Greek yogurt . Vegetables add crunch and vitamins for a perfect potluck side dish!
- Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheese Soup The most easy and healthy recipe for Broccoli and Cheese Soup youll find! Made with lots of fresh veggies, cheddar, and your crock pot does all the work.
- Baked French Fries How to make easy, crispy healthy Baked French Fries! The secrets to perfect homemade French fries in the oven, plus how to make French fries crispy again.
- Fruit Salad Recipe This simple, homemade fruit salad recipe is an ideal light, healthy side. With a citrus poppyseed dressing, youll love its fresh taste!
How To Make This Easy Egg Salad
With just a little chopping and mixing, youll have this easy and tasty egg salad ready in no time! Heres what youll do:
Don’t Miss: Parmesan Caesar Salad Wendy’s Nutrition
Here Are The Easy Steps To Making This Delicious Healthy Egg Salad With Greek Yogurt:
Step 1: Cook the Hard-Boiled Eggs
The primary ingredient for any egg salad recipe are hard-boiled eggs. Making hard-boiled eggs is very simple, however, if you have not done it before, Ill give you the simple run-down:
Pro-tip: some directions for hard boiled eggs have you placing the eggs in the water BEFORE the water boils. I DO NOT recommend this process. The eggs become very over-cooked, dry and develop that strange green ring around the outside of the yolk.
Step 2: Chop the eggs
As you can see from the photo above, I have this hand-dandy egg slicer . Im not one for overly chopped, mushy egg salad I like a some consistency to my egg whites. Ive discovered that this fantastic Kitchen-Aid Egg Slicer is ideal for chopping the eggs into the perfect consistency. I will slice the egg horizontally, then gently keeping the egg together, I will turn it 90 degrees and slice it again vertically. In just two motions I have hard-boiled eggs that are perfectly chopped.
Step 3: Add the Greek yogurt, mustard, salt and pepper and stir
Step 3: Add egg salad to Toast
Healthier Egg Salad Sandwich With Greek Yogurt
Egg salad sandwiches bring me back to childhood, the wonderful years where my lunch was made for me and I took it for granted .
Theres something about the coolness of the egg whites after theyve been in the fridge and the creamy texture of the yolks that I absolutely love!
I hadnt had an egg salad sandwich in years because Ive been avoiding mayonnaise. Someone suggested I try making egg salad with Miracle Whip but that is what I would classify as non food .
Ive since experimented with healthier fats such as avocado, but my absolute favourites is Greek yogurt! It adds just a slight bit of tangy taste, the perfect amount of creaminess and is the right colour to go undetected by kids and kids at heart! Ive also added some more grown up spices for an even better flavour
Wishing you good eats and great times!
Also Check: What Goes In A Cobb Salad