The Best Order For Preparing A Cobb Salad
Cobb salad is a basic chopped salad defined by its combination of cooked chicken breast, blue cheese, hard-cooked eggs, and crisp bacon. If you have leftovers from meal prep say, cooked chicken or eggs you should absolutely use them. If you dont, prepping all the ingredients from scratch wont take long if you prepare them in the following order:
How Much Bacon And Protein
If you are adding bacon and chicken to your Cobb salads, you will also need to calculate how much you will require for an individual salad.
For each Cobb salad you prepare, use 1-2 slices of bacon, depending on the size of the salads you are serving.
- 4 people = 8 slices of bacon
- 6 people = 12 slices of bacon
- 12 people = 24 slices of bacon
- 20 people = 40 slices of bacon
The typical recommended serving size of grilled chicken is approximately 3 ounces per meal per person. When preparing Cobb salads for a large group, use the following measurements to determine how much grilled, shredded, or baked chicken you will need:
- 4 people = 12 ounces of chicken
- 6 people = 18 ounces of chicken
- 12 people = 36 ounces of chicken
- 20 people = 60 ounces of chicken, or 5 pounds of chicken in total
Classic Cobb Salad Recipe
Classic Cobb Salad is just a quintessential home-bred American created salad! Its deceptively filling thanks to the array of toppings and the perfect dinner option in warm weather and when you want to use up the contents of your fridge. Its really simple to make at home too, just like my Homemade Caesar Salad and Caesar salad dressing recipes.
Don’t Miss: Jersey Mike’s Chicken Salad
Recipe Tips And Tricks
- If you want to get a head start on your prep for this recipe, make some extra chicken the night before and cook your bacon ahead of time. That way you can grab everything you need from the fridge and whip up this salad whenever a craving hits!
- This salad will taste great with a variety of dressings, from blue cheese or homemade ranch to vinaigrettes. Just be sure to wait until serving to add the dressing or the lettuce will wilt and become mushy.
- Dont forget to make some hard boiled eggs ahead of time so you can add them to your salad. Cook a few extra so you can whip up some egg salad for lunch the next day.
- Season with salt and pepper. This is one of those things that everyone forgets to do but can make a huge taste difference.
- Keep all of the ingredients bite sized. You can finely chop your lettuce, but you want everything to be about the same size for the perfect bite.
How To Make A Cobb Salad In Advance
This recipe makes enough toppings for eight classic Cobb salads, perfect for feeding a crowd or for meal prepping a week of lunches. Ensuring the salads stay fresh is really a matter of keeping the salad dry pack the dressing separately, and leave the avocado off until just before serving. Layering the ingredients as directed below will keep the salad fresh for several days if stored covered in the fridge until ready to eat.
Make the red wine vinaigrette.
You May Like: Best Dressing For Chicken Salad
Why Is It Called A Cobb Salad
Rumor has it that the salad was invented in the late 1930s at the Brown Derby restaurant in Los Angeles, California. Owner Robert Cobb found himself hungry and surrounded by leftovers. He put a little of this and a little of that on a bed of lettuce. The resulting salad was so delicious, he shared it with his friend Sid Grauman. Grauman came back asking for the Cobb salad, and before long, it was a favorite among movie stars and celebrities.
It landed on the menu at the Brown Derby, where it was prepared tableside. Part of the appeal was the spectacle of seeing a salad come together right in front of your eyes. Today, the salad usually comes prearranged, displaying strips of ingredients that you mix together in the bowl. The visual appeal is strong, but the flavors are what really set this salad aside. Its smoky, savory, creamy, crunchy and salty, all at once.
What Are The Ingredients Of A Traditional Cobb Salad
A traditional Cobb salad is remarkably similar to a chefs salad. However, a chefs salad typically uses just one type of lettuce romaine or iceberg. A Cobb salad includes a mix of ingredients that may vary based on the chef or location where you are having the salad.
The most commonly used ingredients in a Cobb salad include a mixture of greens , hardboiled egg, bacon, avocado, tomatoes, cheese, and sometimes, chicken breast .
Don’t Miss: How To Make Tuna Salad With Fresh Tuna
Recipe Chef Notes + Tips
Make-Ahead: You can make this dressing up to 3-4 days ahead of time. Keep in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve it and pull out to room temperature, whisk to re-emulsify, and sit for 1 hour before serving.
How to Store: Keep covered in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.
If you do not have a food processor or blender, combine all of the ingredients except for the oil. Slowly drizzle in the oil while continuing to whisk until the dressing becomes emulsified.
Who Created The Cobb Salad
The origins of the traditional Cobb Salad come from the Brown Derby in Hollywood, CA in 1937 and was named for the restaurants owner, Robert Howard Cobb, after he threw a bunch of leftover ingredients together late at night. He tossed the salad in French dressing and the Cobb salad was born. Personally, I dont care how this salad happenedIm just happy it did!
You May Like: Electrolux Vp2 Electric Salad Spinner
How To Make Cobb Salad
- Make cobb salad dressing: In a small mixing bowl whisk together olive oil, red wine vinegar, lemon juice, dijon, honey, garlic, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Chill in refrigerator while preparing salad ingredients.
- Cook the bacon: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a rimmed 18 by 13-inch baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Lay bacon strips in a single layer on the baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven until crisp, about 12 20 minutes. Drain on paper towels, then chop.
- Hard steam the eggs: Add 1-inch of water to a 4 quart pot or saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.Add eggs, cover with lid and let cook 14 minutes. Transfer to a bowl of ice water right away.
- Let rest 15 minutes, then peel eggs and chop.
- Prepare salad: Layer lettuce into a large salad bowl or among five serving plates. Top with bacon, eggs, tomatoes, onions, avocado and blue cheese.
- Whisk dressing again then pour over salad and serve.
Cobb Salad Recipe Variations
- My family actually prefers this with this homemade ranch instead of the vinaigrette. The vinaigrette is just more traditional. I love both, just go with what you prefer.
- Replace a few handfuls of romaine lettuce with watercress.
- Opt for a tablespoon or two of minced chives in place of red onion.
- Use cheddar cheese in place of blue cheese. Roquefort or feta are other good options.
- Hard boil eggs in water instead of steaming if you prefer that method.
- Add nuts or sunflower seeds for a light crunch.
- Finish with croutons.
You May Like: Corelle Salad Bowl 20 Oz
What Makes A Cobb Salad
The original Cobb salad is made with:
- a mix of greens . Pro tip pat with paper towels after you wash it. No one likes a soggy salad.
- diced tomatoes
- Roquefort cheese
- red wine vinaigrette
Obviously, Ive mixed things up a bit here and made it my own. You can absolutely make this salad to your tastes. Ive seen Cobb salads with red onion and cucumber, Southwestern Cobb salads with corn and black beans, and even deli ham and turkey, shrimp, or crab in place of the grilled chicken. Add some fresh herbs, like chopped chives or parsley. Dont be afraid to mix things up a bit.
How To Calculate How Many Greens To Buy For A Cobb Salad
Calculating how much Cobb salad per person for a big group requires calculating a few ingredients separately So that you know what to buy and how much of each ingredient.
When measuring greens for individual Cobb salads, estimate that each guest who is having a Cobb salad will have 2.5 ounces or 1 cup of greens for a standard-sized salad.
For any greens you use for your Cobb salad mix, use the following measurements:
- 4 people = of greens you need 4 cups, or 10 ounces
- 6 people = of greens you need 6 cups, or 15 ounces
- 12 people = of greens you need 12 cups, or 30 ounces
- 20 people = of greens you need 20 cups, or 50 ounces of greens in total
Also Check: How To Make Salad In A Jar
Measuring Vegetables For A Cobb Salad
Chopped vegetables in a Cobb salad typically include avocado and tomato. You can use approximately 1/2 cup of vegetables in total for a standard Cobb salad per person.
- 4 people = 2 cups, or 16 ounces of chopped vegetables
- 6 people = 3 cups, or 24 ounces of chopped vegetables
- 12 people = 6 cups, or 48 ounces of chopped vegetables
- 20 people = 10 cups, or 80 ounces of chopped vegetables
When calculating how many avocado slices you will need for one salad, consider the size of the Cobb salad you intend to serve. Use anywhere from 5-7 thin slices of avocado for each individual traditional standard-sized Cobb salad you make.
Whats In A Cobb Salad
A good Cobb salad contains lots and lots of toppings, all chopped up into bite-sized pieces. The lettuce base gets a burst of flavor and texture by using several types varietiesromaine, butter, Boston, frisee, endive or watercressbut you can use any type of lettuce you happen to have on hand. Just make sure to chop the lettuce into pieces that are small enough to fit on your fork.
As far as the toppings go, the classic preparation includes chicken, bacon, hard-boiled eggs, tomatoes, avocado and blue cheese. Its important to cook the chicken, bacon and eggs far enough in advance to let them cool, as hot toppings will cause the lettuce to wilt. You can use any method you like to cook the chicken. We like pan-roasted or grilled chicken breasts to ensure the chicken stays juicy as it cooks.
Read Also: Can You Eat Salad After Bariatric Surgery
Best Dressing For Cobb Salad Reddit Recommendations
What is the Best Dressing For Cobb Salad Reddit? This article will tell you how to make an excellent choice.
Youll learn what ingredients are in cobb salad and which dressings compliment these. The author of this blog post, who is a pro at making delicious salads, has compiled this list of 13 different dressing recipes so you can choose your favorite one.
If you dont care about the recipe and just want to read reviews on popular cobb salad dressings, skip down to #4!
What Is A Cobb Salad
The original Cobb Salad was developed by Bob Cobb in 1937 for his Brown Derby Restaurant in Los Angeles. It has become a famous American dish and is similar to a Chefs Salad. It starts with a bed of green lettuce with rows of ingredients arranged over the top just like we did in our Salmon Cobb Salad, and it is served with a vinaigrette.
You May Like: What Is The Best Tomato For Caprese Salad
Easy Cobb Salad With Chicken
This kosher easy cobb salad with chicken recipe is satisfying enough to eat as a meal but can also work as a side dish. This is a kosher version of the original Cobb salad recipe that is sure to please salad lovers and meat lovers alike. If you want to know how to make the best Cobb salad then read on. This recipe is kosher, gluten free, and dairy free.
The Origin Of The Cobb Salad
Cobb salad was originally created in 1937 in the Hollywood restaurant Brown Derby by the owner named Robert Cobb. The story goes that Robert Cobb was looking for a snack in the restaurants kitchen, and grabbed whatever ingredients he could find: lettuce, hard-boiled egg, avocado, tomato, chicken, onion, bacon and blue cheese. He chopped the ingredients and mixed it to make himself a quick meal, and it tasted so good that he put it on the restaurants menu, and thats how Cobb salad was born. And the rest, as they say, is history.
Recommended Reading: Who Made The Potatoe Salad Free Movie
Cobb Salad Bar Weekdaysupper Cindy S Recipes And Writings
Cobb Salad Near Me. Here are a number of highest rated Cobb Salad Near Me pictures upon internet. We identified it from obedient source. Its submitted by direction in the best field. We take on this nice of Cobb Salad Near Me graphic could possibly be the most trending subject similar to we part it in google help or facebook.
What Dressing Goes On Cobb Salad
Cobb Salad is traditionally served with a red wine vinaigrette. A vinaigrette is a great option for Cobb Salad because its super easy to make and has lots of tangy flavor to balance all the rich ingredients in the salad. But we dont have to limit ourselves here, try out these other dressing ideas!
- Creamy Buttermilk Ranch Dressing this is a personal favorite. I mean ranch is just classic with BobCobb.
- French Dressing
- Honey Mustard
When I told Eric I was making a Cobb Salad recipe, I asked him what dressing he would choose to go with it. Without hesitating he answered Honey Mustard. Who am I to deny such confidence? So thats why Ive included a quick Honey Mustard Dressing in the recipe below. Ive also included the Red Wine Vinaigrette recipe in the notes.
Homemade dressings make a big impact, but if youre short on time a store bought salad dressing is going to do you just fine. Dont let some food blogger tell you what to do.
Also Check: Reser’s Garden Pasta Salad
Can I Make Cobb Salad Ahead
You can make the salad and the dressing 2-3 hours ahead of your dinner. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate. Keep the salad and dressing separate until ready to serve. Here are some make-ahead tips:
- Dressing make this in a mason jar so you can shake it well just before serving in case it separates. Serve it right out of the mason jar.
- Lettuce can be rinsed and dried ahead , then refrigerate until ready to use.
- Avocado should be sliced shortly before serving since avocado tends to discolor when it comes in contact with air.
- Chicken Breast can be pre-cooked and chilled .
- Bacon can be browned ahead. Drain on paper towels and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Eggs can be made several days in advance. Cook hard-boiled eggs and refrigerate until ready to use.
This Chicken Cobb Salad is easy to assemble but sure looks stunning when served. Everything about this salad is good! This homemade version blows the Chick Fil a Cobb Salad and Cheesecake Factorys salad out of the water.
A Pretty Dinner Salad
When you have all of your ingredients ready to go, it is time to put the salad together. You can make one big salad in a large bowl or platter or make individual salads.
Put the greens in a bowl or on a platter to form the base of the salad. You want to place the chicken, bacon, hard-boiled eggs, tomatoes, avocado, and blue cheese in lines to create a decorative salad. Garnish with the chives and drizzle the dressing over the top.
Toppings If you want to add homemade croutons, go for it! Not traditionally a Cobb salad topping, but they are SO good!
Main or Side Dish? You can serve this salad as a main dish, it is certainly filling. You can also serve it as a side dish in smaller portions. You really cant go wrong!
This colorful salad is a beauty! The presentation really makes the salad and it doesnt take long. You cant go wrong with a classic Cobb Salad! Get the ingredients ready and make a salad for lunch or dinner! You will enjoy every bite.
Recommended Reading: Market Salad At Chick Fil A