Tips For The Best Egg Salad Sandwich Recipe Ever
- Prep the egg salad the night before , but wait to assemble the sandwiches until right before you’re ready to serve them. This will prevent the bread or rolls from becoming soggy.
- Use a high quality mayonnaise, since that’s the base of the salad dressing. We like Duke’s brand.
- Strain any excess juice from the pickle relish so that it doesn’t thin the dressing too much.
- Farm-fresh eggs are best when you can get them, but you can also take a shortcut and purchase peeled, hardboiled eggs at the grocery store if necessary.
- Roughly chop the eggs, but don’t mince them into tiny pieces. You want the egg salad to remain a little bit chunky, rather than turning into a thick paste when you stir everything together. Some texture is good!
The Last Egg Salad Sandwich Recipe Youre Ever Going To Need
The best part about this recipe is that you can switch up whatever ingredients you want which means that you can make it as healthy or as unhealthy as desiredyou could also try adding some Bell Pepper, Chunks of Pickle, Green Onion, make it with Avocado Oil Mayo to lighten it up even more. I wouldnt suggest trying all of those mix-ins at once, but just wanted to give you some ideas on what you can do with it.
If you want it to be a salad on its own you could garnish it with paprika and/or some extra sliced hard boiled eggs there really are so many things that you can do with this versatile recipe I just recommend trying it as is the first time and then switch it up after that if you wish.
I think my favorite thing about this recipe is that I pretty much always have all of the ingredients on hand at all times. Which equates to a super simple meallike so simple, that other than boiling and peeling the hard-boiled eggs, it only takes a few minutes to make this.
The Perfect Egg Salad Sandwich Is All About The Little Tweaks And A Smart Ratio Of Eggs To Other Ingredients This Is My Favorite Served On Garlic
I have strong opinions about egg salad sandwiches. Usually I take a pass. Like, if I see one on a menu, or at a deli, I choose another sandwich. Egg salad tends to be so gloppy, or too much mayo, soggy bread , or the trifecta of all three. But it doesnt have to be this way! When I make egg salad sandwiches at home its heart emojis all around. I like to use well-toasted bread rubbed with garlic. The egg mixture I make isnt much of a departure from the classic, but the devil is in the details and ratios. Theres crunch from chopped celery and onions, a dollop of wholegrain mustard, and just the right amount of yogurt in place of mayo.
Read Also: Macaroni Salad Recipe With Egg
To Make Egg Salad Sandwiches
Mash the yolks with mayonnaise until completely smooth and then fold in the whites. This makes for the best egg salad, it comes out so creamy!
I use an egg slicer to chop the whites placing the white in the slicer, cut and then turn the egg and placing it through again. Make the chopping really quick! I use my egg slicer for other things too like strawberries, kiwi and its especially great for cutting mushrooms to make chicken marsala.
Delicious Egg Salad For Sandwiches
- 1 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
- ¼ cup chopped green onion
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- Step 1
Place egg in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring water to a boil and immediately remove from heat. Cover and let eggs stand in hot water for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from hot water, cool, peel and chop.
- Step 2
Place the chopped eggs in a bowl, and stir in the mayonnaise, mustard and green onion. Season with salt, pepper and paprika. Stir and serve on your favorite bread or crackers.
Also Check: Soup And Salad Serving Dishes
Which Bread For A Classic Egg Salad Sandwich
An old-fashioned egg salad sandwich recipe is typically served on a simple white or wheat sandwich bread. That said, you can get as creative as you like! If you’re serving the sandwiches at a bridal shower or baby shower, offer them on little bite-sized mini croissants, small biscuits, homemade crescent rolls, or soft dinner rolls.
For a standard-size sandwich and a heartier meal, make your egg salad sandwiches on homemade white bread, honey wheat bread, croissants, buttermilk biscuits, bagels, English muffins, oatmeal bread, no-knead bread, baguette, or English muffin bread . Store-bought rye, pumpernickel, or sourdough breads will also work well! You can toast the bread first if you like, but that’s just a matter of personal preference.
How Do You Make The Best Egg Salad Sandwich
- Add the eggs to a saucepan and fill with cold water. Bring water to a boil and immediately remove from heat. Cover and let the eggs stand for 10-12 minutes. Take the eggs out of the water and let cool.
- Peel and chop the eggs and add them to a medium sized bowl. Add mayonnaise, dill, chives, Dijon mustard, salt and pepper. Mix well. Spread on bread or use with your favorite crackers.
Don’t Miss: Chicken Salad Chick Valdosta Ga
How To Make A Salad Sandwich
How To Make The Best Egg Salad
You will need hard boiled eggs for this egg salad. For 1 cup of salad, you will need 4 hard boiled eggs. You can buy hard boiled eggs at some grocery stores, but they are really easy to do at home. We shared our no-fail method for cooking hard boiled eggs a while ago and more recently have shared how to cook them using a pressure cooker .
Once you have hard boiled eggs, this egg salad only takes 5 minutes to make. We add the following ingredients:
- Mayonnaise for moisture. For a mayo-free version, try adding natural or Greek yogurt or swap some or all of the mayonnaise for mashed avocado like we do in our avocado egg salad. When we have it on hand, we love using homemade mayonnaise, heres our easy recipe.
- Celery for crunch. We love a little crunch in our egg salad, but have also added chopped onions and sometimes, dill pickles. We use the same crunchy ingredients when making tuna salad.
- Fresh herbs for flavor. My personal favorite is fresh chives, but parsley and tarragon are also delicious options.
- Fresh lemon juice for pop. A squeeze of fresh lemon adds such a lovely pop of flavor. It also cuts through the richness of the egg and mayonnaise.
- Salt and ground pepper to taste. A pinch of salt and pepper goes a long way when it comes to making the egg salad taste good.
Also Check: How To Make Tuna Salad Without Mayo
Hard Boiled Eggs 3 Different Ways:
Stovetop: This is favorite method. Simply place eggs in a pot and cover them with cold water . Then turn the heat on high and cook them until they boil. Cover them and take them off the heat. Let them sit for 12 minutes in the hot water.
Instant pot: To make hard boiled eggs in the instant pot, add one cup of water to the pot. Add the wire rack insert, and lay your eggs on top of it. Cook the eggs on high pressure for 5 minutes, with a 5 minute natural release. Remove the eggs and place them in an ice water bath for 5 minutes.
Oven: Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Place each egg in the cup of a standard muffin tin. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove the eggs and place them in an ice water bath for 10 minutes.
Easy Egg Salad Recipe
This easy egg salad recipe makes the best egg salad sandwiches. It starts with perfectly hard boiled eggs and a simple, creamy dressing.
Growing up, we would often have egg salad sandwiches for lunch. My moms recipe for egg salad was simple, with just eggs, mayonnaise, mustard, salt and pepper.
Ive made a few changes to her simple recipe but Ive kept everything that you crave in a classic egg salad recipe.
You can make this delicious egg salad ahead and refrigerate it for three days, so its great for meal prep. If you cook your eggs ahead of time, this healthy recipe comes together in just minutes. Its perfect for a quick lunch. For more easy sandwich ideas, try my best chicken salad recipe or my classic tuna salad.
Read Also: What Spices Are Good In Tuna Salad
Best Egg Salad Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
The Best Egg Salad Recipe is an easy favorite! Nothing is more picnic perfect than hard boiled eggs mixed with mayo and a pinch of mustard and of course crunchy with celery and green onions!
Whether you make an egg salad sandwich or a healthy egg salad using lettuce or low carb wraps, nothing says all American like and egg salad!
Egg Salad Sandwich With A Twist
Weve gone rogue, and were giving this egg salad sandwich a Mexican makeover. Weve added garlic, cumin, smoked paprika, and cilantro! YUMMY! Toss in some chopped veggies for crunch, and you will have a delicious sandwich.
If youre looking for an easy lunch or dinner option, then these rustic sandwiches Chicken Bacon Ranch Wrap, and Chicken Shawarma Sandwiches are perfect choices. Fancy them up by slicing off the crusts and cutting the sandwiches into shapes using cookie cutters. The tiny sandwiches will be perfect for afternoon tea, Mothers Day Brunch, or a bridal or baby shower.
Read Also: How To Make Kale Salad
Egg Salad Sandwich Variations
Once you get your sandwich the way you like it, its fun to play around with variations. Here are a few faves.
– Egg Salad with Broiled Gruyere: Broil some thinly sliced gruyere cheese onto your toast, top with the egg salad mixture, sprinkle with fried shallots, and serve open-faced. Inspired by a version I would eat on occasion at Il Cane Rosso in San Francisco.
– Curried Egg Salad Sandwich: This is so good! I think of it as a wintery version where you add curry powder, chopped apple, toasted pecans, and onion.
– Chickpea Salad Sandwich: You can use the same general idea for a vegan version. Pulse a couple of cups of cooked chickpeas in a food processor and proceed with the recipe, adding more yogurt if needed to bring the ingredients together.
How To Make An Egg Salad Sandwich
Once you have the hardboiled eggs peeled and chopped, the rest of the process is incredibly quick and easy!
Don’t Miss: Best Gluten Free Dairy Free Salad Dressing
How To Serve Egg Salad
Though the salad may be enjoyed as a side dish, it is rather versatile. Enjoy these other variations:
- Egg Salad Sandwich Serve the egg salad as a sandwich between bread slices, in a croissant, as an open-faced sandwich, or even stuffed in a wrap or pita.
- Stuffed Avocado stuff the salad into a halved avocados and serve.
- Lettuce wrap Add to lettuce cups or Romaine and enjoy as lettuce wraps.
- Breakfast sandwich Load salad onto toast for an easy breakfast sandwich.
Tips For The Best Egg Salad Sandwich
No matter which you prefer classic mayo or sweet Miracle Whip white bread is a must, lightly toasted with a swipe of butter. I find the ratio of two eggs to one scant tablespoon of mayonnaise and 1/2 teaspoon mustard plus a pinch of salt results in the finest combination.
If desired, you can amp up your simple egg salad with a sprinkling of fresh herbs. Or, try using a mixture of mustards to achieve a deeper flavor.
Note that egg salad is one of those dishes that gets better with age. Its delish when enjoyed right away, but its even better after its had time to chill in the fridge for a few hours.
Recommended Reading: Low Fat Vegan Salad Dressing
What Goes In Egg Salad
- Butter: Room temperature butter will make the egg salad easy to mix.
- Cream Cheese: Also take your cream cheese out at the same time as the butter. Dont skip this one or your egg salad will be droopy.
- Celery: Mince finely.
- Mayo: You can add as much or as little of this as needed for personal texture preference.
- Onion: Grated is the best option though you could always mince finely too.
- Sugar: For a hint of sweetness.
- Lemon Juice: If you dont have lemon juice you could use vinegar instead.
- Salt: Very important to enhance the flavor of your egg salad.
- Pepper: Go easy on the pepper so your egg salad isnt spicy.
- Eggs: Your hard boiled eggs can be finely chopped or squished with a fork.
- Bread: Regular sandwich bread or fancy croissants. You pick.
- Paprika: I love the color this gives to the egg salad. It is optional.
- Relish: Use dill pickle relish for best flavor. Also optional.
- Bacon: Optional but my favorite. Where would we be without bacon?
Pro Tip: Its important to make sure the celery and onion are smaller than your egg pieces. I like using a food processor for ease of use and to make sure they are really small.
More Ideas And Tips From You
There are so many great ideas from you down in the comments. I wanted to highlight a few here!
Lirion says, Dont freak out, but my egg salad uses eggs and a mango relish. Yup, thats it. After assembling and before adding the second piece of bread, a shot of fresh cracked pepper and all of 5 grains of salt.
Iloveasecretingredient,andQuinnsays,I keep my egg salad ingredients to a minimum, eggs, shallots, chopped pickle, mustard, a lil mayo, and salt and pepper. oh, and I add Old Bay too.
Or listen to this variation from Shawn! I just made some delicious Japanese flavored egg salad with homemade wasabi mayo. For the mayo I used two egg yolks, 500 mL of olive oil, and two tsp of rice wine vinegar. After the yolk had accepted all of the oil I added fresh dill, lemon juice, salt & pepper, and a sizable squirt of wasabi paste. For those of you who like a little crunch I suggest chopped water chestnuts drained and briefly pan fried. Eat it on bread as dark as pumpernickel or as white as wonder its all about the mayonnaise. Genius!
Kate lends some technical insight, Ive found the best tool for mashing up eggs for egg salad is a grid-style potato masher. Those square holes make the perfect sized bits of egg white. More consistent, yet chunkier than the results you get with a fork.
Read Also: How Yo Make Tuna Salad
How To Cook Eggs For Egg Salad
No matter if you boil your eggs on the stove or in the instant pot, be sure they are hard-boiled, but not overcooked. Overcooked eggs end up with a green ring around the yolk. Follow these tutorials for perfect hard-boiled eggs every time:
- Perfect Boiled Eggs follow this stove-top method and boil for at least 7 minutes. Fully cooked yolks are best for salad.
- Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs works especially well for farm-fresh eggs, making them easier to peel.
The Best Dressing For Egg Salad
The dressing in any salad can really make or break a recipe. This awesome creamy dressing adds so much flavor to the simple salad. Eggs never tasted so good!
- In a bowl, add the mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, paprika, garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Mix until the dressing is creamy and ingredients are well incorporated.
Also Check: Chicken Salad Chick Olivia’s Old South
How To Make Egg Salad Sandwiches:
**Look for the instructional video within the recipe card.**
This recipe actually tastes best if you cover it tightly and let it sit in the fridge for several hours before you serve it so that the flavors can blend nicely, but if youre in a rush it will still taste pretty good.
Thats really all that I have to share with you guys today, but dont forget to check out my entire Main Dish section, there are lots of yummy recipes there too.
Oh, dont forget to subscribe to my email list . Also, if you would like to learn how to follow along or really show your support for this blog, go here.
Here are several of my other easy recipes that youre also going to love:
Recipe Notes And Tips
- The Instant Pot or pressure cooker really makes for hard boiled eggs that peel easily. Thats because they are essentially steamed under pressure. Hard boiling eggs in water on the stovetop is equally fine for this recipe, too. Use your preferred method.
- I use dried dill weed but fresh dill would be fine, adjust amount to taste.
- You can also swap out the dill relish with sweet relish or use both, a teaspoon of each.
- The mayonnaise amount is a guide, it really depends how creamy you want it. I like a lot and really creamy and messy!
- Make your sandwich on any bread or toast you like, a green lettuce leaf is optional.
- An open-faced egg salad sandwich with thin slices of smoked salmon is a tasty variation!
Homemade egg salad makes the ultimate comfort food sandwich at home. And honestly, weve all been spending more time at home these days. This is a perfect lunch for the times. Kelly
I also like reheated dinner leftovers for lunch, especially if it can make a sandwich, and soup! Here are a few favorites you might want to try:
Recommended Reading: What Goes In Chicken Salad Sandwiches