Tips For Making Chicken Salad:
- You can replace the mayo with mashed avocado and sour cream for a different version.
- Reduce the calories by using Greek yogurt in place of mayonnaise.
- You can cook your own chicken breasts or thighs in the crockpot, then use an electric hand mixer to shred the chicken for this recipe.
- Use canned chicken in a pinch.
Other Favorite Recipes You May Like
Baked Buffalo Chicken Dip The recipe that started it all! This Baked Buffalo Chicken Dip uses Deli chicken salad to add a delicious twist to a potluck favorite!
Bite Sized Sausage Rolls the BEST bite sized sausage rolls that I have ever tasted. Yum.
Party Pretzel Bites these delicious little bites are addictive and always welcomed at any gathering.
Quick and Easy Bruschetta restaurant quality Bruschetta is hiding in the ingredients in your refrigerator!
Easy Homemade Ranch Dip just seven simple pantry ingredients to create a delicious and easy Homemade Ranch Dip!
The Best Chicken Salad Dressing
This is similar to the dressing we love for our popular Broccoli Salad, except we didnt add any sugar or honey since the grapes add plenty of sweetness. This dressing is creamy, tangy and adding sour cream makes it lighter than just using mayo.
- Mayonnaise use real mayo for the best flavor.
- Sour cream we use full-fat sour cream, but you can substitute it with low-fat sour cream or fat-free Greek yogurt.
- Lemon juice be sure to use freshly squeezed and not from concentrate.
- Dill finely chopped fresh dill is our favorite, but you can substitute with 2 Tbsp of finely chopped fresh parsley.
- Salt and Pepper added to taste
Recommended Reading: I Need A Recipe For Potato Salad
What Makes This Chicken Salad Special
The “secret sauce,” so to speak, of this chicken salad, is the tablespoon of plum preserves my mom adds to the mayo-based dressing. You could use any berry jelly or jam, but as we always have a lot of plum jam on hand , that’s what mom reaches for first.
Mom balances out the sweetness from the dab of jam with a bit of lemon juice.
The result? Wonderful!
Fancy Chicken Salad Recipe
We call this Fancy Chicken Salad because of the dressing, grapes, and pecans, but its truly easy. This is a fresher and lightened-up version of classic chicken salad and its perfect for meal prep.
This is the perfect side dish or main course. Its especially easy if you use leftover Roasted Chicken. Watch the video tutorial and see how simple it is.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
We love protein-packed salads like our Chicken Avocado Salad, Autumn Chopped Chicken Salad, and Cobb Salad. This creamy chicken salad is really the best combination of chicken salad and Waldorf salad that will become a go-to for lunch.
Don’t Miss: How To Make German Potato Salad
So What Are You Cooking Today
As much as we might love our children, one cannot help but think about cooking. The recipes we prepare for them might not be the healthiest in the world, but its always fun to try out new ideas.
Can you guess what will be our pick recipe today? Yes, its a chicken salad chick fancy Nancy recipe. We love this recipe because it is tasty and low on calories and fat.
This salad can add more protein by adding chickpeas or even cooked lean chicken. This recipe is very versatile, so you can change the vegetables you use according to your taste buds and what is available in your market.
Chicken Salad Recipe: Ingredients And Substitutions
As always, let’s chat about the ingredients in this recipe, as well as possible substitutions.
- Cooked Chicken. I often used leftover grilled chicken or rotisserie chicken to make this recipe. However, I provide directions on how to cook shredded chicken in the recipe card as well!
- Mayonnaise. I suggest using a high-quality mayonnaise for the best flavor. You can easily make this chicken salad recipe paleo, keto, etc. by choosing a mayonnaise variety that complies with those lifestyles .
- Lemon Juice. Both freshly squeezed or bottled lemon juice can be used in this recipe.
- Paprika. I love using smoked paprika for an extra depth of flavor, but any variety works well!
- Celery. Be sure to finely dice the celery for the best overall texture.
- Onion. Red, yellow, sweet, etc. onions all taste great.
- Red Bell Pepper . The bell pepper is optional, the recipe tastes great both with and without it. I like adding the pop of red for color. You can also use green, yellow or orange bell peppers in place of red if desired.
Recommended Reading: Which Fast Food Has The Best Salad
Homemade Mayonnaise Adds More Freshness
If you really are in the mood to make this truly the BEST-EVER chicken saladmake your mayonnaise from scratch.
Theres nothing better than homemade classic mayonnaise .
Of course, good-quality store-bought mayonnaise will work just fine, but we absolutely LOVE making it from scratch! One thing to keep in mind, though, homemade mayo has raw egg in it, which could be an issue with the very young, the elderly, or anyone with a compromised immune system.
Its all about using fresh ingredients.
Fresh dill and parsley add a layer of flavor that we think puts this salad over the top.
If you cant get fresh, dried will work, just use half the amount that you would be using if fresh.
And its even better after it sits in the fridge for a few hours, or overnight! This chicken salad sandwich recipe is really about as good as they come!
I mean, just look how delicious this looks!
Wait until you taste it!! You and those around you will love it!
If you are looking for an easy chicken salad recipe that tastes like something youd get at an amazing restaurant, you need to look no further!
You can almost taste how good this is just by looking at it.
There is a reason this is hands down the most popular recipe on How To Feed a Loon!
Crunchy Middle Eastern Chicken Salad
The Spruce Eats / Anita Schecter
Give your chicken salad a Middle Eastern spin with this impressive recipe. Greek yogurt tahini serves as the dressing, and it’s easy to make with just a few ingredients. That’s mixed with shredded chicken, carrots, almonds, cilantro, and za’atar seasoning, which you can whip up, too. Try this salad on naan bread with baby spinach.
You May Like: Salad Dressing Cups With Lids
Serving Suggestions For Homemade Chicken Salad
You may wonder what you should eat your chicken salad with or what should you put it on. Lets cover how you can turn it into a copycat for Chicken Salad Chicken.
- A bed of leaf lettuce if you want to enjoy it as a scoop, be sure to serve with some wheat Keebler crackers
- A croissant with leaf lettuce and sliced fresh tomatoes
- Wheat Berry bread with leaf lettuce and sliced fresh tomatoes
Easy Chicken Salad Recipe
This easy chicken salad recipe with grapes makes the best chicken salad sandwiches! Ive been making this healthy chicken salad recipe for years. Its great for make ahead lunches!
When your days are busy, it can be hard to find the time to prepare lunch. Thats why I like recipes that I can prep once and then eat for a couple of days.
This chicken salad is one of my favorite make ahead lunch recipes. It keeps well in the refrigerator for a few days. You can serve it on bread or croissants as a sandwich, or with some lettuce. I often add avocado its so good!
I rarely order chicken salad at a restaurant because I dont care for the mayo-laden chicken salad that is often served. My homemade version is fresh, light and made without mayo. I use plain Greek yogurt as the creamy base for my chicken salad dressing. If this sounds strange to you, I promise that your chicken salad wont taste like yogurt!
You May Like: Oxo Good Grips Little Salad Spinner
Make Chicken Salad Again And Again With These Kitchenware Essentials
Stir together gently
Until everything is thoroughly coated.
Now, if youre feeling particularly naughty and saucy and feisty, please sprinkle in some homemade OR, in my case, STOREBOUGHT bacon bits. Again, dont overdo itjust a little bacon flavor will do.
Now, I have fried up thick, peppered bacon, chopped it fine, and sprinkled it in the chicken salad before, and it was almost too delicious for me to bear. So try that sometimebut enter at your own risk.
Now, taste it, salt it, pepper it, add more dillwhatever you need to do to make it perfect. Just remember to fold/stir gently throughout this process.
And when youre finished, do this! Because Martha might be watching.
Now, just allow the chicken salad to chill several hours or even overnightlong enough for the flavors to really meld.
Then, when youre ready, just serve the chicken salad on a bed of lettuceor in hollowed-out heads of cabbage, or hollowed-out bell peppersor put it on English Muffins, top with cheese, and broilor stir in with shell pasta for chicken pasta salad. Yum.
Or! If youre me, you can do this:
Grainy wheat bread.
Toasted. And did you know Id been married nine years before I even owned a toaster? True story.
Baby Spinach. And plenty of it.
How To Make Chicken Salad
Prepare a classic chicken salad in 15 minutes with only a few simple ingredients.
For this chicken salad sandwich recipe, any bread will do, thick slices of a baguette or buns/rolls hold up well. This is naturally low carb and its great over a tossed salad as well.
Don’t Miss: Outback Blue Cheese Pecan Chopped Salad
How To Store Simple Chicken Salad:
This chicken salad is so easy for everyone to enjoy. Occasionally we will have leftovers. All you need to do is store in an airtight container for the flavors to enhance.
The chicken salad will last about a week in the refrigerator. Once you are ready to enjoy again, simply give it a stir and your chicken salad is ready to enjoy.
Give This Easy Chicken Salad Sandwich Recipe A Try
You are going to love this recipe! It really is so simple. We have used leftover rotisserie chicken or roasted chicken to make this and it was wonderful
I love to top mine with sliced tomatoes and more red onion. I love eating mine ona bed of lettuce. We have added sliced almonds and boiled eggs.
You can substitute greek yogurt and sour cream for the mayo. These chicken salad sandwiches are amazing! We love to make these and go on a picnic. It really is the perfect picnic food and so easy to make.
These are also great for baby showers and you can use the mini croissants for something bite size. The options are endless with this delicious recipe.
Don’t Miss: Pasta Salad With Italian Dressing
What Goes Into Chicken Salad
The great thing about chicken salad is that it can be changed up based on whats in your fridge! Keep the ratios the same as the recipe below but swap out the add ins and seasonings
How Long Will This Chicken Salad Keep
You can make this salad a day or two ahead of time if you wait to add the lettuce until right before serving. The salad will keep for several days in the fridge, but the lettuce will lose its crunch and get all wilty, so you may want to leave the lettuce out if you expect to have leftovers.
Do you have a favorite chicken salad recipe? Please let us know about it in the comments.
Don’t Miss: Good Seasons Salad Dressing Bottle
How To Make A Chicken Salad Recipe
Follow along with these easy step-by-step instructions for making chicken Salad:
Grill the seasoned and oiled-up chicken breasts on a grill at high heat for 5-6 minutes per side or until cooked through and has reached an internal temperature of 165°. Chill immediately.
Prepare all the vegetables and medium dice the chicken and add everything to a bowl.
Add in the mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, herbs, and seasonings, and mix thoroughly until combined. Serve.
What To Include In A Chicken Salad Sandwich
You can’t go wrong with the classic combo of lettuce and/or tomato, but whatever else you like in a sandwich will work too. Cucumber, sliced avocado, a slice of cheese, sprouts… etc. And try buns, wraps/tortillas, or even bagels instead of bread to change it up a bit. Or go low-carb and make lettuce wraps or fill half an avocado with it.
Recommended Reading: Greek Salad For Weight Loss
Can I Freeze Chicken Salad Chick
A great question that is asked quite often. To answer this, we need to understand some critical things related to freezing chicken salad chick, like the steps involved in freezing chicken salad chick?
However, the answer to your question is. Yes, you can freeze Chicken Salad Chick. The best way to do this is by making the chicken salad in a food processor and then packing it into an airtight container.
Make sure that you wrap it well, so it doesnt get freezer burned before freezing it.
Now lets move into the central part of our article. Before that, make sure you try it once at home after reading the whole.
How To Make Chicken Salad With Apples Grapes And Pecans
Don’t Miss: Olive Garden Salad Dressing Gluten Free
Best Chicken Salad Recipe
Im a sentimental romantic. So youll have to indulge me for a moment.
One of my favorite movies of all time is the Megan Follows version of Anne of Green Gables and its sequel. Would it be too dramatic to say that growing up, those movies helped shape who I am? Yes, thats pretty dramatic. But in some small but meaningful ways I believe they did.
As I was making this chicken salad a line from the movie came to mind. Diana and Anne are standing on the cliffside of scenic Prince Edward Island overlooking the ocean, the wind blowing in their hair, staring off into the sunset.
Diana says to Anne, I wish I were rich and I could spend the whole summer at a hotel, eating ice cream and chicken salad.
Anne responds thoughtfully, You know something, Diana? We are rich. We have sixteen years to our credit, and we both have wonderful imaginations. We should be as happy as queens.
Nodding at the setting sun over the ocean, Anne observes, Look at that. You couldnt enjoy its loveliness more if you had ropes of diamonds.I am happy Diana, and nothing is going to hold me back.
Without a doubt, one of lifes simple but greatest pleasures is good food food thats thoughtfully prepared and shared with those you love.
So in celebration of Dianas desire for good food, and in appreciation of Annes understanding that happiness is how you interpret it, heres a delicious chicken salad you can enjoy with your family and friends!
What You Need For Ultimate Chicken Salad Recipe
Simple and fresh, this chicken salad will come together quickly. Cook your chicken ahead of time or purchase an already cooked chicken to save on time. This chicken salad will become a favorite to make! The total amounts of ingredients is located in the recipe card.
- Cooked Chicken: chopped or shredded chicken is best.
- Grapes: I used red grapes, they are a bit sweeter than green. Slice in half or cut into cubes.
- Pecans: You can purchase chopped pecans for this salad.
- Green onions: I like to finely chop the green onions for a bit of a kick in each bite.
- Celery: Finely diced using a knife or a shredder.
- Mayonnaise: Do not use salad dressing, it will alter the taste.
- Juice from ½ lemon: Yes, you can use bottled.
- Dijon Mustard: Adds the perfect amount of zippy flavor to this chicken salad.
- Salt and pepper: Add to taste!
Read Also: Kraft Dairy Free Salad Dressing
How To Make The Best Chicken Salad
Lets get started!
Place the diced chicken, celery, green onions and grapes in a large mixing bowl and stir to combine.
In a medium-sized bowl, combine all remaining ingredients to make the sauce and stir to combine.
Scoop the mayo sauce over the chicken salad and stir to combine, making sure the chicken salad is thoroughly coated with the sauce.
Cover and chill in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours before serving.
Ingredients In Chicken Salad
- Use leftovers from last nights dinner or leftover rotisserie chicken or grilled chicken.
- To Make Chicken for chicken salad I like to use either poached chicken or baked chicken breasts or thighs.
- You can use canned chicken in a pinch but of course fresh is best when possible.
- Ensure the chicken is cooled and shred or chop the chicken into bite sized pieces.
- As this is a classic chicken salad recipe, Ive kept the additions to a minimum. Celery for crunch, green onions for flavor.
- This recipe can be made with a variety of nuts, veggies, and fruit for added flavor and texture.
- Chicken salad with grapes, avocado or dried cranberries is a favorite. Pecans or almonds pair well with this recipe.
- Mayonnaise is the base of this recipe and its simply seasoned.
- You can get creative and substitute some of the mayo for ranch dressing or your favorite salad dressing recipe.
- Create an Avocado Chicken Salad by replacing some of the mayonnaise with mashed avocado.
Also Check: Where Can I Get A Salad Nearby