How To Make The Healthy Coleslaw Dressing
Ingredients for the coleslaw dressing:
- 2/3 cup greek yogurt or plain yogurt
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
Optional: I sometimes love adding a bit of honey. If you like a bit of sweetness to offset the acidity, add 1 tbsp of honey.
In a bowl, add all the dressing ingredients. Mix until combined and then pour over the shredded salad. Mix the salad and serve.
Expert Tips And Tricks For The Perfect Coleslaw
- Opt for vinegar Some recipes for coleslaw will call for lemon. While I adore lemons and think they add great flavor to many things, vinegar is best for coleslaw. It adds that perfect tartness without throwing everything off balance.
- Salt & pepper works wonders Dont skip the salt either, though you can use less if you want to watch your sodium. It helps to let the coleslaw sit in your fridge a bit after making it and then give it a taste-test to see if it needs more salt and pepper or if its just right!
The most universal summer side dish!Megan
Buttermilk Cabbage Salad Recipes
The last version is buttermilk coleslaw, and you will need buttermilk and some ingredients you might already be sporting in your kitchen and dont even have an idea where to use them up. This variant has no secret ingredients, just buttermilk to give it a buttery tang while keeping your dressing coated with its thickness.
To concoct this, you need shredded cole, thinly sliced red onion, kosher salt, ground black pepper, and carrots. You will need buttermilk, mayo, apple cider, dijon mustard, and a tsp of sugar for the dressing.
Recommended Reading: Hearth And Hand Salad Plates
How To Cut Cabbage For Coleslaw
Whatever type of cabbage you choose, the way to prepare them are generally the same. Heres how to do it:
Choosing Your Dressing: Three Classics
There are three different coleslaw dressings that show up again and again in the classic American cookbooks:
- Mayonnaise dressing: Makes a richer, slightly sweeter dressing.
- Buttermilk dressing: Makes a lighter, tarter dressing.
- Sour cream dressing: Makes for a rich and tangy dressing.
All three are typically cut with some vinegar either white wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar is great along with a little sugar and salt.
Im a buttermilk girl, personally, but I respect other coleslaw choices. I also respect the addition of other flavorful things a spoonful of mustard, a sprinkle of celery seeds, a bit of grated onion. Sure! Start with one of the three dressings as a base and dress it up however you like.
Recommended Reading: Chicken Salad Made With Yogurt
How To Store Cabbage
Store the cabbage whole until ready to use. If youve cut it, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and use it within two days. Be sure to store the cabbage in the crisper of your fridge, wrapped in plastic or the bag it has come in. Leaving the cabbage unwrapped will allow it to dry up. You can keep a whole wrapped head of cabbage in the crisper drawer for about two weeks!
Watch the Web Stories HERE.
How Do You Keep Homemade Coleslaw From Being Watery
Watery coleslaw will ruin any picnic or barbecue. You can keep that from happening by adding your shredded cabbage to a strainer or colander atop a big bowl. Then youll add salt. Its recommended you use one teaspoon per pound of cabbage used. Shake it so it distributes evenly. It will draw out excess water and then you can proceed with the rest of the homemade coleslaw recipe.
Read Also: Panera Tomato Basil Cucumber Salad
Salt And Drain Cabbage For Better Coleslaw
Freshly made coleslaw tends to be at its crunchiest, creamiest best if eaten on the day its made. The longer it sits, either on a picnic table or in the refrigerator overnight, the more liquid is released from the shredded cabbage, which can make the salad overly wet and soggy.
If youre hoping to make the slaw a day or two ahead, Id suggest prepping the cabbage and carrots, and then storing them, undressed, in a container in the fridge until you need them. The dressing can be made in a mason jar or other small container when youre ready to assemble the salad, just shake up the jar and pour.
Theres one other option, too: salting the cabbage. This seems counterintuitive since salting the cabbage causes it to wilt, so this requires some trust. Once squeezed of liquid and mixed with the carrots and the dressing, the texture of the cabbage is actually quite crunchy, and the salad itself will keep for several days.
How To Make Coleslaw At Home
Homemade coleslaw salad, all creamy, tangy and crunchy, is brilliantly easy to make at home. All you need is a handful of ingredients and Yummefys easy coleslaw recipe to make yourself a batch of this amazingly flavourful salad that you can pair with almost any main, as a filling or a standalone dish. If you have never prepared this salad at your home before, then you will be surprised at how easily you can cook up such an incredible salad. Just follow this step-by-step coleslaw salad recipe shown in this video and perfect your salad game once and for all.
You May Like: Oxo Salad Dressing Shaker Small
How To Make Coleslaw
Coleslaw Recipe With Homemade Dressing
An easy Classic Coleslaw Recipe with crisp cabbage and carrots in a creamy, sweet and tangy homemade dressing. Coleslaw is the perfect side dish for potlucks, parties and cookouts.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
Hey, hey. Valentina with Valentinas Corner sharing our traditional coleslaw recipe.
Recommended Reading: Chick Fil A Salad Nutrition
How To Make Coleslaw Dressing
The creamy dressing for this easy coleslaw recipe is homemade but ready in about 2 minutes. Its so good!
Whats in Coleslaw Dressing? This coleslaw recipe uses mayonnaise as a base for a creamy slaw but Ive included a vinaigrette-based dressing in the notes too.
Mayonnaise adds a creamy texture while the vinegar adds a slight tang. The small amount of sugar balances the dressing. Make sure you dont skip the celery seed, it really adds a lot of flavor to this dish. This dressing is great on coleslaw but its also perfect on broccoli salad. Mix the dressing well before adding to the cabbage mixture. Taste and season with salt and black pepper.
Can I Prep It Ahead Of Time
Absolutely! This crunchy rainbow salad is one of my favorites to make ahead. The cabbage and veggies stay crispy even after theyre coated in the peanut dressing, and the dressing itself is thick enough to hold up in the fridge. I love to make a big batch to have on hand for easy lunches throughout the week.
Also Check: Primal Kitchen Salad Dressing Where To Buy
What Our Readers Are Saying
If you dont believe that our recipe helps you achieve the best coleslaw from scratch, take a look at what our readers are saying about the recipe! More reviews are in the comments section below.
This is seriously the best coleslaw I have ever made or tasted. Judy
Wow, fantastic slaw! Bryant
Amazing! I wanted to eat the whole bowl! Caitlin
Keto Best Coleslaw Recipes
If your entire family is on a recipe restricted diet, like a keto recipe, this recipe version will have your family craving it. It only takes up mins to make this recipe, but it will surely be a delicious recipe over some barbecue or any grilled meat recipe!
To make this recipe, chopped preferred veggies and seasonings. Mix them all up and pour the dressing over the vegetables and mix thoroughly. If you make too much, dont worry, you can store your keto coleslaw in a tight container and store it in the fridge, and it can last for three days.
Don’t Miss: Soy Vay Chinese Chicken Salad Dressing Recipe
Trishs Tips For The Best Homemade Coleslaw
- Taking the time to shred fresh cabbage will give you the best results. Use a mandoline to make quick work of this task. Dont have the time? No worries, buying pre-shredded cabbage or even a coleslaw mix totally works too.
- Preparing the coleslaw in advance allows the flavors to develop and lets the cabbage and carrots soften just slightly. I like to chill for a good hour or up to 1 day in advance of serving.
Create A Free Account To Save Recipes
This classic Cole Slaw recipe is a perfect easy barbecue side dish. Instead of spending four dollars a pound on grocery store cole slaw that could have been sitting there a week, you can make it at home and with ingredients you can control.
If you speak to the head of deli department in your local grocery store, theyll likely tell you that cole slaw comes in either pre-made or in two parts, mix and dressing. This is a way to have fresh cole slaw without the added preservatives youll find in packaged cole slaw dressings.
MORE GREAT SUMMER SIDE DISHES
HOW TO STORE
- Serve: Make sure to refrigerate at least 4 hours before serving, serve chilled, and dont leave it out longer than 2 hours.
- Store: Cole Slaw can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 1 week. If it starts to break down, add more coleslaw mix to keep it fresh longer.
- Freeze: Coleslaw doesnt freeze well, so just throw it out and make a fresh batch when needed.
Pin this recipe now to remember it later
You May Like: Healthy Cold Pasta Salad Recipes
What Does Coleslaw Taste Like
This subtly sweet salad comes across as a tangy and creamy, bright and crunchy treat in a bowl. A plethora of textures and flavours come together in this easy-to-make salad. The freshly shredded cabbage and carrots make the salad chewy and crunchy to bite. The mayonnaise coats the salad making it creamy, while the mustard powder, vinegar, black pepper and onion make the salad tart and tangy. A good slaw is simple and clean and that is what this recipe is all about.
Why You Will Love This Homemade Coleslaw Salad
- Simple and easy: You will need a handful of ingredients to make this creamy colelsaw salad. Plus it is very easy to make and ready in just 20 minutes.
- Healthy and good for you: Made with a healthy dressing that does not require any mayonnaise.
- Perfect for gatherings and potlucks: This healthy coleslaw salad recipe is a great option to make and take to any gathering or putluck.
- Better than storebought: After you have this coleslaw salad, you will never get store-bought coleslaw again.
Don’t Miss: What Is The Healthiest Salad Dressing
Low Carb Coleslaw Recipes
If you are into easy paleo low carb coleslaw, then this recipe version is right for you, and whats more? This recipe only consists of 5 ingredients, 5 minutes to create, and its sugar-free! Do you still want to know more about this recipe? This recipe only contains a few grams of carbs, and were talking 2, yes, thats right, 2 grams of carbs!
It is a quick recipe fix for a rush and unplanned weekday lunch, unexpected visitors, or sudden cravings. Yes, low carb coleslaw will give you all that without feeling guilty.
To create this delightful side menu, youll need a sugar substitute like F & C Cocoa Sugar or Erythritol Sugar, mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, sea salt, celery seed, and ground black pepper. You can let the mixed green sit for an hour in the refrigerator or keep it there overnight to develop flavors.
What To Serve With This Coleslaw Recipe
I cant imagine going through all of summer without at least one big backyard barbecue party! Whether youre celebrating the 4th of July or a casual Saturday evening with friends and family, youll need everything from cocktails, desserts, entrees and side dishes to host an unforgettable backyard bash.
Here are some of our favorite recipes to serve with coleslaw:
Recommended Reading: Chicken Salad Chick Lee Branch
For The Peanut Dressing
- Soy Sauce: I love the salty/umami flavor that comes with soy sauce. You can also use tamari.
- Peanut Butter: For best results, use creamy peanut butter and not the crunchy kind.
- Sriracha: Or another hot chili sauce.
- Rice Vinegar: For that authentic Asian-style taste. If you dont have rice vinegar, substitute with white wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar.
- Lime Juice: For the best flavor, use fresh squeezed lime.
- Sesame Oil: There really arent any substitutes for the distinctive earthy, nutty flavor of sesame oil in Asian-inspired recipes! You can find sesame oil alongside the other cooking oils in most grocery stores.
- Honey: Honey works great as a natural sweetener in this recipe . In a punch, you can use sugar instead.
- Ginger: Freshly minced is best.
- Garlic Powder: You can also use fresh garlic if you prefer.
What Is The Best Cabbage To Use
I love using a combination of red and green cabbage when I make coleslaw. It makes the dish really pretty. You can use just one variety, though. Try green cabbage, red cabbage, savoy cabbage or Napa cabbage.
For a different spin, try using broccoli! Heres our easy recipe for broccoli slaw that uses the same dressing as this recipe.
Don’t Miss: How To Make Simple Chicken Salad
Variations Of Coleslaw Recipes
If you wonder if there are any easy variations of recipes for the best coleslaw, you wont be disappointed because there are! Although this type of mixed greens recipes can be made with only five ingredients, you can always tweak it and make it suitable for your personal preference.
Below are the lists of its variations that we hope can help you enjoy without compromising its authentic taste and flavors.
An Easy Coleslaw Without Mayo
Everyone seems to have a favorite cabbage salad or coleslaw, and mine, no surprise here, takes on a bold Mediterranean twist with a few surprising elements I love!
First off, in this no-mayo slaw, mayonnaise is traded for a bright vinaigrette that relies on Dijon mustard and good extra virgin olive oil . Then, to add all sorts of bold colors and crunch, I throw in red bell peppers, carrots, radish, green onions, and loads of fresh herbs. Last but not least, toasted sliced almonds add a subtle nuttiness that takes it to next level delicious!
This may have started as simply making an easy coleslaw without mayo, but the end result is far more. Sure, this crunchy cabbage salad makes a great side dish, and I’ve used it as a topping on salmon burgers and lamb burgers. And because it’s the perfect make-ahead salad, I’ve enjoyed it for lunch several days in a row!
Recommended Reading: What Goes In Tuna Salad
What To Eat With Coleslaw
Although coleslaw is good enough as a standalone salad, it goes very well as a filling in sandwiches, burgers, and as side to fried chicken or barbecued meats. If you cant get enough of coleslaw, then make some creamy vegetable sandwiches with it or serve it in a hot dog and egg rolls. Coleslaw can also be a nice addition to a pulled chicken burger and tacos. It also makes a great filling for pita pockets. Coleslaw is one very versatile side dish that has the potential to make the main dish shine. The flavour goes with most everything.
How Long Does Coleslaw Keep
- The salt and vinegar in the coleslaw dressing start to break down the cabbage and draw the moisture out, so once the dressing is added I recommend that you serve within a couple of hours for best results.
- If you have leftovers it can still be eaten the next day the dressing just becomes runnier.
- Unfortunately it cant be frozen. The overall texture will change too much.
- For make ahead: Mix dressing up to 3 days in advance. Pour over cabbage mixture when ready to serve.
Also Check: Will I Lose Weight If I Eat A Salad Everyday
Crunchy Cabbage Salad With Spicy Peanut Dressing
Ill tell you right now, prepare to be obsessed with the flavors of this delicious Thai-style cabbage salad! Its a literal rainbow of deliciousness and color. This is my favorite recipe for cabbage salad made with a rainbow of crisp veggies, all tossed in a creamy peanut dressing. For easy weekday lunches to summer cookouts and Asian-inspired dinners there arent many occasions where this vibrant crunchy salad isnt just the best. AND I make this salad at the beginning of the week and eat it for lunch for the next few days! The hearty cabbage doesnt wilt in the dressing and stays crunchy for days!