Repurpose Old Plastic Containers As Mini Greenhouses For Sprouting Seeds
Apr 12, 2020Carly FraserSave For Later
Do you ever find yourself throwing out old plastic containers with clear lids?
Im talking salad containers, plastic takeout containers, strawberry and other berry containers, rotisserie chicken containers, and the like.
I dont know about you, but I always feel a little guilty about the large amount of plastic waste that comes with eating a plant-based diet.
Unfortunately, not many companies have invested their time in developing biodegradable and compostable plastic alternatives .
The good news is, is that you can actually repurpose old plastic containers as mini greenhouses for sprouting seeds! You can also use them for starting other versions of sprouted food like scraps youd normally throw out in the kitchen.
So if you find yourself struggling to raise seeds successfully, these repurposed mini greenhouses could very well increase your chances of raising strong, resilient plants.
Selectables Salad Bowls With Inserts
The Selectables salad bowls come in two different footprints . The protein inserts are available in black and clear, and the bowls are also available in black and clear. The bowls are available in 24oz, 32oz, and 48oz. The depths range from 1.45 2 deep. The bowls are lid film sealable, but also offer a flat snap on lid.
Oxo Good Grips Leakproof On
This is a stackable, two-compartment container from one of our most-trusted brands. Of course, there’s a separate 2-ounce dressing container. And yup, there’s a divider in the main compartment for keeping your lettuce away from your tomatoes. But in true OXO fashion, there’s a happy surprise: that divider is removable, so you can create more room in the main compartmentor use the divider as a plate.
Read Also: Olive Garden Soup And Salad Price
How To Repurpose Old Plastic Containers As Mini Greenhouses For Sprouting Seeds
Repurposing old plastic containers as mini greenhouses for sprouting seeds isnt as hard as you think. All you need is some mud, some seeds, and some water and youre good to go.
So if youre feeling nifty, thrifty and just want to reduce your impact for creating more plastic waste, these are the steps you want to follow for repurposing your own mini greenhouse:
Clear Round Lids To Fit 750ml Bowls
Product Code: 12501
750ml rPET Round Salad BowlsOur extensive range of solutions for chilled food, from up to 100% recycled PET, allows attractive and inviting visibility of your fresh food offering with a large choice of shapes and sizes in our extensive offer.Recycled PET for Long-Lasting FreshnessKeeping your food fresh and good looking are top priorities…
You May Like: Chicken Salad With Plain Yogurt
Other Items You Can Repurpose For Gardening
Aside from repurposing old plastic containers as mini greenhouses for sprouting seeds, you can also use other items around the house that would otherwise be destined for the recycling bin.
These items include:
- Egg cartons
- Paper cups
- Juice/milk cartons
Toilet Paper Rolls
Toilet Paper Rolls are great for growing most plants. The cool thing about toilet paper rolls is that they can be directly planted into the ground, and will decompose into the soil. This is great for plants that do not like their roots disturbed like squashes, beans, and peas.
You can cut your toilet paper rolls in half and fold in the bottom half so that a protective barrier is on the bottom. Alternatively, you could put a bunch of toilet paper rolls into a shallow repurposed salad container so that any loose soil falls into the container.
If you notice after a while that your toilet paper rolls start to get moldy and break down, dont worry. This is a normal process, and the rolls will hold up until you have to transplant.
When planting, make sure that you peel back the top edges of your toilet paper rolls if you didnt stuff soil to the top of the roll. If you did, then ignore this step.
Egg Cartons, similar to toilet paper rolls, are great for starting seedlings. If you use the plastic/styrofoam version, youll have to remove the plant to direct sow outdoors.
Supermarket Vegetable Trays
Salad Containers & Boxes
Boxes, trays, bowls, pots and all manner of other salad container are available from us at R+R Packaging Ltd. It is always important that salads are kept as fresh as possible, to help you accomplish this we offer a wide variety of salad container solutions, ranging in size and material to ensure you have everything you could possibly need.
The selection includes the standard and more commonly seen clip-close cartons, plastic hinged containers and coated paper boxes as well as a much more new and innovative selection, some of which even feature built in pots for sauce and dressing. This fantastic range is available in full below, and of course these could arrive as soon as tomorrow if you order online today thank to our reliable next day courier delivery.
Also Check: Brianna’s Organic Salad Dressing
Ml Combione Kraft Tray With Rpet Lid
Product Code: 90953
910ml Combione Krat tray with rPET LidCombining two materials to make an outstanding product with wonderful on shelf visibility, this product is set apart from any other!Hinge lidded salad box comprised of a PE lined paperboard tray which is grease and moisture resistant, and an integrated recycled clear rPET anti-fog hinged lid to offer gre…
Mm Rpet Lid To Fit 1000ml Kraft Bowls
Product Code: 12803
165mm rPET Lid to fit 1000ml Kraft BowlA crystal clear lids made PET , PET is a cost-effective and environmentally friendly packaging option. A PET lid is convenient and safe from leakage or spills. Our Disposable PET plastic lid is a flexible plastic but much stronger than regular polypropylene,100% recyclable.The…
Also Check: Hidden Valley Ranch Broccoli Salad
Bentgo Salad Stackable Lunch Container With Large 54
- EXTRA-LARGE SALAD CONTAINER: Spacious 54 oz salad bowl to go fits up to 4 cups of healthy fruits and vegetables for easy portioning.
- KEEPS SALAD FRESH: Airtight lid features a rubberized sealing ring and locking clips to keep food fresh on the go Top-shelf dishwasher safe and BPA-free.
- STORE TOPPINGS SEPARATELY: 4-compartment tray includes 1 large 10-oz compartment and 2 smaller 5-oz compartments to fit toppings of your choice, plus a leak-proof 3-oz container thats perfect for salad dressing.
- PURCHASE WITH A PURPOSE: Bentgo continues to be a proud supporter of Feed the Children, a 501 nonprofit that gives hope and resources for hungry children and families.
- WHAT YOU GET: Bentgo Salad compartment lunch box, built-in reusable fork, industry-leading 2 Year Warranty, and caring customer support.
Find The Finest Disposable Salad Bowls With Lid For Your Catering Business Restaurant Takeout Restaurant Coffee Shop And Bistro Made With 100 % Recyclable And Reusable Plastic Cardboard And More Buy Online And Get Free Shipping Everywhere In The United States With Orders Over $500
Since salad remains one of the most popular dishes and side dishes served in America, it is important that all restaurant, coffee shop, bistro, and catering owners have salad bowls with lids at their disposal, which are stylish, practical, but also good for the environment. Recyclable salad bowls with lid allow you and your customers to safely carry your salad around without any accident or leakage, and you can dispose of it in an eco-friendly way. Check out our amazing selection of disposable salad bowls with lid, coming in a variety of sizes and designs : cardboard salad bowl with lid, plastic salad bowl with lid, cardboard salad carrier with lid and strip, mini plastic salad bowl with lid, and more! All our disposable salad bowl with lids are made with recyclable and reusable materials.
At Solia, we work hard to design sustainable salad bowls and containers with lid that are highly functional, elegants, and eco-friendly, so that catering companies, restaurants, and coffee shop can be green without compromising on the high-quality of their food containers. You can use our disposable salad bowls with lid at a takeout restaurant, reception, school cafeteria, cocktail party, and more.
Read Also: Clear Glass Soup Salad Bowls
Rubbermaid Brilliance Salad Lunch Storage Container
This stylish container has three compartments, plus a separate small, round container for dressing. It’s of slightlyhigher quality than your standard plastic storage containers, and it comes in a variety of sizes, including a large 9.6 cup size, for those of you who like big salads. The insert tray that contains the two smaller sections is removable, so you can make more room for greens in the central compartment if you’re not bringing mix-ins that will soggify your salad.
Square Tamper Evident Salad Packaging
Our square tamper evident salad packaging comes in 3 different footprints. The smallest footprint for our square tamper evident salad packaging is 4.5″ square . The medium footprint for our square tamper evident salad packaging is 6″ square . The larger footprint for our square tamper evident salad packaging is 7.5″ square. The medium and large footprint offer a variety of protein inserts.
Recommended Reading: Chili’s Boneless Buffalo Chicken Salad
Smygoods Plastic Salad Bowls With Lids 32 Oz Disposable Salad Bowls With Airtight Lids
- Pack of 50 sets of 32oz. High Quality, Salad Containers with Lids,
- To go salad container, Locks in Freshness for Longer Shelf Life, Made in the USA
- Salad meal prep bowls, Leak Resistant & Resealable, 100% Recyclable PET, For a greener environmentally responsible package.
- Salad bowl with lid for lunch, Stackable for Easy Merchandising Displays,
- 50 Sets, Backed by Smygoods Lifetime Guarantee,
What Kind Of Plastic Can I Repurpose For Planting
A lot of people think that you need new pots and trays to start seeds. But what if I told you that you can successfully raise seeds in old repurposed plastic for free?
Every spring I sow seeds into repurposed plastic containers or old trays and containers that were purchased many years back.
I like to start seedlings indoors about a month before planting outdoors, as it gives them an easier, earlier start in life. It also means that I get to eat what I grow a lot sooner than other people.
There are some seeds that I direct sow, like carrots, beets, radishes, and cucumbers, but for the most part, a lot of my seedlings are started indoors.
Seeds that I like to start indoors are squashes, tomatoes , kale, collards, broccoli, cauliflower, celery, leeks, and melons.
An essential part of growing seedlings indoors during times of the month when the sun is not around many hours of the day is to create a mini greenhouse.
Now, you could go out and buy a humidity dome, but you could also make your own from repurposed plastic containers.
Here are a few ideas of plastic containers you could use as your mini greenhouse:
- Strawberry/berry containers
- Plastic bottles cut in half
- Plastic fruit cups or yogurt parfait cups
- Plastic cups with domed lids
The only thing you want to make sure is that the top portion of these containers is clear, see-through plastic. You are trying to mimic what a plant would experience in a real greenhouse.
Now that you have your plastics, its time to get planting!
You May Like: What’s In Spring Mix Salad
Oz Salad Bowl Container With Lid Product Code: Xfsbeksb32
This 32 oz salad bowl container has a simple elegence to it’s design while also providing crystal clear visibility. And being leak resistant, stackable, and even reversible, this container and lid combo are perfect for salads, sides, desserts, tall sandwiches and much much more.
- Includes 150 bowls and 150 lids per case
- Gread for cold or hot dishes – use as an eat-in or takeout salad bowl or use for poke bowls
- Crystal clear plastic gives the utmost visiblity
- Combo pack comes with both base and lid – which can be reversible
- Leak resistant seal keeps your goods in place and you and your customers happy
- Clear 100% recyclable PET plastic allows for your delicious goods to be clearly seen, not to be confused with cheaper, non-recyclable PS
- PET plastics are the best quality for food service and most recyclable plastic available
- Made in the USA
- Size: 7 x 7 x 3-3/4″
Confused by any of the terms in the description? Click here to check out our
Square/round Salad Packaging Bowls With And Without Inserts
Our Square/Round salad bowl packaging comes in a variety of different footprints. Protein inserts are available in black and clear, and the bowls are also available in black and clear. The Square/Round salad bowl packaging line is available in 8oz, 12 oz, 16 oz, 24oz, 32oz, 48oz and 64 oz capacities. The depths range from 1.45 4 deep. The Square/Round salad bowl packaging line is lid film sealable, but also offers a flat snap on lid.
You May Like: Can I Eat Chicken Salad On Keto
Mm Round Pp Lid To Fit White Food Bowls
Product Code: 90963
155mm Round PP Lids to fit White Food BowlsA 155mm round lids made PP Fit with 750ml WHITE Food Bowl only.Easy to display in your shelves as the lids are stackable. ***750ml White Food Bowls sold separately***Dimension: 155mmQuantity Case : 300sUse with Bowls code: 90962
Square Salad Packaging Bowls With Inserts
These 6×6 salad bowls are another fantastic packaging solution for salads. The protein inserts are available in black and clear, and the bowls are also available in black and clear. The bowls are available in 12oz, 16oz, 24oz, 32oz, and 36oz. The depths range from 1.65 3.9 deep. The bowls are lid film sealable, but also offer a flat snap on lid.
Also Check: Caprese Salad With Mozzarella Balls
Glad Home Collection Deep Dish Food Storage Containers
How are the containers that spill out of the drawers of your grandmother’s kitchen one of the best vehicles for salad? Because they have a function we didn’t know about until recentlyone so genius, they earn a top spot. Just pop a small salad dressing storage container in the indentation at the top where the logo is, and bamcrispy, dry salads! The bonus: these old-school containers are inexpensive, so you won’t worry too much if someone steals your lunch or you somehow lose it en route.
Tamper Evident Square Bowls
This line of Square Tamper Evident Bowls is available in 2 different footprints: 7.5″ square and 9″ square. All sizes also come available with standard dome or low profile dome options. The 7.5″ footprint for these square tamper evident bowls comes in 16oz, 24oz, and 32oz. The 9″ footprint for these square tamper evident bowls comes in 48oz and 64oz.
Also Check: What Goes In Tuna Salad
Rpet Dome Lid To Fit 1300ml Kraft Bowls
Product Code: 90921
rPET Dome Lid to fit 1300ml kraft bowlsMade from Polypropylene Can hold a hot foods.The lid feature a unique clip system that offers the best leak protection on the market.**rPET LIDS ARE NOT SUITABLE FOR MICROWAVE OR OVEN**Remark : The general temperature range for rPET lids is -10 ~ 50. Dimension size : 185mmCase Quantity :…
Mixing Bowls With Airtight Lids
- PREMIUM MATERIAL]: Each bowl is made of high-quality heavy gauge stainless steel, which is resistant and rustproof.
- LARGER BOWL SIZES]: Our stainless bowls deeeper than standard bowl sets, allow for larger servings .
- DISHWASHER SAFE ]:The silver bowls feature a shiny interior and fingerprint-proof satin exterior, Which are simple to clean by hand and are dishwasher safe.
- NON SLIP SILICONE BOTTOMS] Flat silicone bases prevent the metal bowls slippage when mixing, you need not to worry about the bowls will wobble when mixing, beating and whipping.
- TIGHT-COLORFUL LIDS]: Flexible BPA free plastic lids closely fit the bowls, keep your food fresh, tight fitting lids are great for food storage great choice for storing food for longer.
Recommended Reading: Ken’s Single Serve Salad Dressing
Large Salad Bowl With Lid
- ECO FRIENDLY MATERIAL: The lid of the salad bowl is made of solid bamboo, the bowl and the utensils are made of bamboo fiber which is biodegradable and non-toxic, BPA free.
- EASY TO CLEAN: Our serving bowl can be washed by hand and also dishwasher- safe.
- LARGE CAPACITY WITH SERVING UTENSILS: Size of the bowl: diameter 9.
- MULTIPLE USE OF THE LID: The solid bamboo lid can be used as chopping board for easy preparation.
- THOUGHTFUL DESIGN AS GIFT: The salad serving bowl comes with lid and servers, the lid will keep your food fresh and keep away bugs which may be attracted by your delicious food.
Freshmage Salad Lunch Container To Go
- Leak-proof design: The lid of salad lunch container is equipped with tight locks sealing up tighter than those with rubber rim.
- 3 Compartments storage: 3 compartments can separate salad, snacks, fruits and other food.
- Sacuce container compartment: There is a sauce container at the middle of to-go salad container for storing salad dressings, sauce, and other seasoning.
- Safe material: The salad lunch box uses food grade safe material which is safe to human health and in fashionable appearance.
- Easy to carry: The size is convenient to carry for work, picnic, travel.
Also Check: What Goes In Cucumber Salad