Homemade Chicken Salad Ingredients
Go to the fridge right now, and you likely have everything you need to make a batch:
- Chicken I normally use canned chicken breast, but you can also use shredded, poached chicken rotisserie chicken or leftover grilled chicken
- Mayonnaise our preference is Dukes mayonnaise. You can use the full-fat variety or a low-fat version.
- Pickle Relish make sure to use sweet pickle relish, which usually contains finely diced pieces of sweet pickles and red peppers in a sweet brine
You May Like: Wawa Kale And Quinoa Salad
How To Make Fried Chicken Crispy
The dredge and batter for this chicken sandwich is made with cornstarch which expands when it is added to a liquid and to create the perfect crispy, crunchy coating for this sandwich.
- If your chicken breasts are large, cut them in half.
- Pound the thicker end to 1/2 to 3/4 thick so they cook evenly.
- Dredge the chicken breasts into the dry mixture first this helps the wet batter adhere.
- The wet batter should be about the consistency of pancake batter.
- A second dip into the dry mixture before frying adds great flavor and crunch to the sandwich.
- Ensure oil is hot using a deep fry thermometer.
- When adding the chicken, the temperature can drop so increase the temperature if needed to keep the oil at 350°F.
- Drain on paper towels, keep warm in a 250°F oven if you need to make several batches.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- So quick & easy: This recipe comes together in minutes. Its just a matter of shredding your chicken, chopping the veggies, and mixing everything together. Easy, peasy!
- Made healthier: Adding greek yogurt into the dressing decreases the fat and calories, and adds a boost of protein while keeping the salad nice and creamy. We also enjoy the salad served on healthy whole wheat bread instead of white bread for extra fiber.
- Great for meal prep: The chicken salad for sandwiches keeps well and is great for meal prep! We like to make it at the beginning of the week and use it for sandwiches over the next several days, or snack on it just as is!
- Kid-friendly: Its creamy, tangy, and SO tasty! Even picky kids love it, whether its in a sandwich or on its own! We love that its satisfying and filled with healthier ingredients.
Read Also: Chicken Salad Chick Cullman Al
Old Fashioned Chicken Salad Sandwich
Old Fashioned Chicken Salad Sandwiches! This classic comfort recipe is inspired by the one my grandma used to make when I was growing up. It includes chopped chicken, celery, boiled eggs, and pickle relish mixed in a mayonnaise/miracle whip dressing, but I also share some variations to try below if youre partial to nuts, grapes, or curry in your version.
This favorite meal from my childhood is always what I turn to when I need a little comfort Chicken Salad Sandwiches just cant be beat.
This dish takes me right back to my grandmothers kitchen table!
Read Also: Easy Sweet Potato Salad Recipe
More About This Recipe
- Perfect for picnics, ideal at celebrations and just-right for any quick-fix meal, this chicken salad sandwich recipe is a balanced combination of hearty meat, crunchy celery and onion and creamy mayonnaise. If you have leftover cooked chicken from another meal, turn it into easy chicken salad. And if Thanksgiving dinner has given you more turkey than you can handle, swap it in this recipe for chicken salad to make an easy day-after meal. One commenter remarked that she omits the celery and adds in chopped apple instead. Another swaps the celery out for a tablespoon minced jalapeño peppers to add a spicy twist. Avoiding bread? This would be just as tasty served in lettuce wraps instead. Easy chicken salad is just the beginning. Dont miss out on Betty Crockers best sandwich and wrap recipes for more ideas.
Also Check: Can Too Much Salad Cause Bloating
Quick Chicken Salad Sandwiches
The creamy mayo dressing has a nice tang thanks to some Dijon mustard, and its a perfect way to use up rotisserie or leftover roasted chicken.
Just as good as any deli, I know you are going to love this sandwich recipe!
How Much Calorie Is In Chicken Salad
The question of how many calories are in chicken salad is a difficult one.
The answer depends on the type of dressing, and whether or not you include mayonnaise, celery, or other ingredients.
If youre trying to lose weight, its best to avoid recipes with sour cream as well as creamy dressings such as ranch or blue cheese.
A standard serving size of chicken salad contains about 500-600kcal which makes it a great option for lunch or dinner if youre looking for something low in fat with lots of protein!
You May Like: How To Make Keto Salad Dressing
The Best Chicken Salad
This Chicken Salad is truly divine. At first glance you might balk at the grapes, but trust me, they make the salad exquisite. The sweet crunch of the grapes combines beautifully with the chicken and richness of the mayo. The celery and pecans create nice crunch to the chicken salad that elevates it to the next level.
I love using this for picnics and special lunches. It is so easy to make but it is so fancy at the same time. Chicken Salad comes together in a flash so you can have this on the table in no time. And you will love how it is so versatile as well, serve it as a wrap, on a croissant, on some rye bread, or in a lettuce bowl. However you serve it, just make it! You are going to love it, it is so divine!
Why We Love This Recipe
This salad is fresh and loaded with flavor. It is quick and simple to prepare, and is so versatile!
Asian chicken salad is a great way to use up leftover chicken! The chicken in this dish can be served cold as a chilled salad for warm summer months or add chicken hot off the grill!
Using cabbage instead of lettuce in this salad means it keeps well, so go ahead and make it ahead of time. Keep the dressing separate and keep it in the fridge until ready to serve.
You May Like: Wendy’s Caesar Salad Nutrition
Make Chicken Salad Again And Again With These Kitchenware Essentials
Stir together gently
Until everything is thoroughly coated.
Now, if youre feeling particularly naughty and saucy and feisty, please sprinkle in some homemade OR, in my case, STOREBOUGHT bacon bits. Again, dont overdo itjust a little bacon flavor will do.
Now, I have fried up thick, peppered bacon, chopped it fine, and sprinkled it in the chicken salad before, and it was almost too delicious for me to bear. So try that sometimebut enter at your own risk.
Now, taste it, salt it, pepper it, add more dillwhatever you need to do to make it perfect. Just remember to fold/stir gently throughout this process.
And when youre finished, do this! Because Martha might be watching.
Now, just allow the chicken salad to chill several hours or even overnightlong enough for the flavors to really meld.
Then, when youre ready, just serve the chicken salad on a bed of lettuceor in hollowed-out heads of cabbage, or hollowed-out bell peppersor put it on English Muffins, top with cheese, and broilor stir in with shell pasta for chicken pasta salad. Yum.
Or! If youre me, you can do this:
Grainy wheat bread.
Toasted. And did you know Id been married nine years before I even owned a toaster? True story.
Baby Spinach. And plenty of it.
Received A Visa Or Mastercard Gift Card Issued By Gift Card Granny
Enter in your Visa Gift Prepaid Card, Virtual Visa Gift Card, Virtual Mastercard Gift Card, or Mastercard Gift Card information to view balance and transactions.
The Gift Card Granny VisaÂ® Gift Card and the Virtual Visa Gift Card are issued by Sutton BankÂ®, Member FDIC, pursuant to a license from Visa U.S.A. Inc. The Visa Gift Card can be used everywhere Visa debit cards are accepted in the US. No cash or ATM access. The Virtual Visa Gift Card can be redeemed at internet merchants everywhere Visa debit cards are accepted in the US. No cash or ATM access. The Gift Card Granny MastercardÂ® Gift Card and Mastercard Virtual Gift Card are issued by Sutton Bank, Member FDIC, pursuant to a license by Mastercard International Incorporated. Use your Mastercard Gift Card and Mastercard Virtual Gift Card everywhere Debit Mastercard is accepted in the US. Mastercard is a registered trademark, and the circles design is a trademark of Mastercard International Incorporated.
Donât Miss: How To Make Salad In A Jar
Recommended Reading: Wendy’s Apple Pecan Salad Calories
Should You Use Boiled Or Baked Chicken Breasts For Chicken Salad
Either will work! I find that boiling the chicken results in chicken that is more tender. But if you boil OR bake chicken for too long, it will be tough. Just avoid overcooking the chicken and you should be fine.
When we grill chicken, sometimes we make extra and use it for chicken salad the next day. I do like the flavor of grilled chicken in this recipe its a nice change.
Dont Miss: How To Make Healthy Salad At Home
When You Need Lunch In A Hurry Whip Up A Batch Of This Easy Chicken Salad Recipe It Uses Just Three Simple Ingredients But Its A Big Hit On Sandwiches Or Atop A Bed Of Lettuce You Can Make It Using Leftover Chicken Rotisserie Chicken Or Canned Chicken Whatever You Have On Hand This Plain Canned Chicken Salad Recipe Is Made Without Celery And Without Eggs Just Chicken Mayonnaise And Pickle Relish
Sometimes the best recipes are the simplest ones. My mama has been making this canned chicken salad recipe with sweet relish for years, and it never disappoints.
Her easy chicken salad recipe uses only three ingredients.
For a delicious lunch, place a scoop of this easy homemade chicken salad and a scoop of southern style pimento cheese on top of a bed of lettuce. Its also good paired with potato vegetable salad. For dessert, serve up some mandarin orange salad, aka Orange Fluff.
If youre looking for a good basic recipe chicken salad without eggs, chicken salad without celery, chicken salad without grapes no need to look any further. Ditto if youre looking for a delicious canned chicken salad recipe.
This recipe might not be fancy, but its good every time.
It makes a mighty good sandwich .
And its also good scooped atop a bed of lettuce.
We all have different skills in the kitchen, and many times readers have questions about how to prepare a recipe, which kitchen tools they should use and whether certain ingredient can be substituted. I try to answers those questions and provide as information as possible, including cooking tips and tricks, variations and substitutions, kitchen shortcuts, serving suggestions and what to do with leftovers.
If you want to get the recipe right away, scroll to the end of the page for a printable version.
Dont Miss: Where To Buy Amish Potato Salad
You May Like: Gluten Free Sugar Free Salad Dressing
Ingredients Needed To Make This Sandwich
- Chicken: Looking for an easy way to cook chicken? Try air fryer chicken breasts, poached chicken, or grilled chicken breasts. Rotisserie chicken is good, too. Make sure the chicken is cold before adding it to the salad.
- Grapes: For ease, use seedless grapes, any color . They are best for this recipe when they are still cold, straight from the fridge. If you use grapes with seeds, just remove the seeds as you slice them.
- Celery: For crunch and added texture.
- Green onions: For a pop of color and fresh flavor.
- Fresh parsley: Just a sprinkle of chopped parsley is colorful and adds a nice herby flavor.
- Greek yogurt: Along with the mayonnaise, plain greek yogurt acts as the base in this recipe. And adds delicious tanginess and some extra protein!
- Mayonnaise: Were adding mayo along with Greek yogurt to give the chicken salad that classic creaminess.
- Dijon mustard: A touch of mustard pairs perfectly with eggs! Feel free to use another mustard you have on hand if needed.
- Garlic: One minced garlic clove will add a balance of savory flavor.
- Kosher salt & pepper: Season your salad to taste. Dont skimp on the salt or your salad will taste bland.
- Bread: Ideally, pick a healthy whole-wheat, seeded bread that has plenty of fiber. We love our Homemade Chia Seed Whole Wheat Bread for this chicken salad sandwich recipe.
Tasty & Healthy Food Finally
Chicken Salad Chick of Edmond is on a mission to show people that food can be tastyand healthy with all of our awesome chicken salad offerings and exciting sides. We have perfected the varied menu by combining classic chicken salad flavors and new, fresh ideas. Your whole family will be delighted to stop in for a quick bite, or a casual dining experience that highlights genuine Southern Hospitality. Theres even a healthy kids menu for picky eaters!
Also Check: Chicken Salad Chick Easley Sc
What You Need For Ultimate Chicken Salad Recipe
Simple and fresh, this chicken salad will come together quickly. Cook your chicken ahead of time or purchase an already cooked chicken to save on time. This chicken salad will become a favorite to make! The total amounts of ingredients is located in the recipe card.
- Cooked Chicken: chopped or shredded chicken is best.
- Grapes: I used red grapes, they are a bit sweeter than green. Slice in half or cut into cubes.
- Pecans: You can purchase chopped pecans for this salad.
- Green onions: I like to finely chop the green onions for a bit of a kick in each bite.
- Celery: Finely diced using a knife or a shredder.
- Mayonnaise: Do not use salad dressing, it will alter the taste.
- Juice from ½ lemon: Yes, you can use bottled.
- Dijon Mustard: Adds the perfect amount of zippy flavor to this chicken salad.
- Salt and pepper: Add to taste!
You May Like: How To Make Tuna Fish Salad
The 15 Best Places For Chicken Salad Sandwich In Houston
Megan Smith: I’ve been coming here for years and Picnic definitely has the best chicken salad sandwich in all of Houston! Their bread is always super fresh and the staff is always friendly as well!
Fernando Covas: The chicken salad sandwich is excellent
Seán Judge: Best Chicken Salad sandwich I’ve EVER had.
Amber Burfeind: Chicken Salad Sandwich was fabulous!
Divya Mulanjur: Loved this place. Get the chicken piccata and chocolate chip cookie.
David Nguyen: #6. Curried chicken salad sandwich! So good!
Kelsey Goddard: Curried chicken salad sandwich with mango chutney and almonds on raisin bread is delish!
Aimee Woodall: I’ve never met a Stonemill bread I didn’t like. Try something you don’t usually get. Jalapeño cornbread is my personal favorite!
Victoria Carreon: Friendly workers, amazing diet lemonade and a killer chicken salad sandwich make this places one of my absolute faves!
Jonathan Johannes: Always good food here
Arty Morales: Don’t even think about it on Sundays…
Amanda Reynado: Best Chicken Salad sandwich in town! but you have to get all the fixings.
Amanda Myers: Get the wreck!
Chessie Peveto: The hot peppers are amazing!!!
Denise : The chicken salad sandwich on chibatta is amazing!
Miss D: I had the chicken salad sandwich. Good!
Jared Jarvis: Fun restaurant with good selection of brews and good burgers.
Richard Boesch: Breakfast tacos are yummy! Great dessert selection
Dave Lee: Chicken salad sandwich is delish!!
Read Also: Is Soup Or Salad Better For Weight Loss
What To Add To Chicken Salad
Ive found some crazy things in my chicken saladwe dont like to combine textures too much, but if you like a little crunchy or sweet in your chicken salad, try one of these:
- sliced grapes
All of these ingredients will change the flavor of the chicken salad, so you may want to back off on some of the seasonings that I show below as they may not pair well.
Make Your Next Event Scrumptious
Are you trying to plan a birthday party, baby shower, or important corporate meeting but dont know what to do about the food? With so many mouths to feed, choose Chicken Salad Chick of Edmond as your catering team. Give us a call at, let us know about your upcoming event or party, and well arrange a specific or varied platter of food that is sure to please everyone. Take food planning off your plate by going with our delicious dishes!
Chicken Salad Chick Hospitality & Great Food Come Together
âThe best!âNov 15, 2018â Cat Smith2404 E 2nd StreetEdmondOK73034
055.02404 E 2nd StreetEdmondOK73034
055.0âAny day is a Chick Day!âApr 13, 2021â Mrs. Dee2404 E 2nd StreetEdmondOK73034
055.0âSo good!!âJun 19, 2021â Julie2404 E 2nd StreetEdmondOK73034
055.0âCustomer appreciationâJan 25, 2019â Cindy M
Recommended Reading: How To Cook Chicken Salad
Mrs Stratton’s Premium Gold White Meat Chicken Salad
If you’re looking for a classic chicken salad, meet your new grocery store go-to. Mrs Stratton’s Premium Gold White Meat Chicken Salad is super-smooth in texture, which makes it easy to spread. Testers noted that this spreadable chicken salad would be great for sandwiches. One tester commented that it tastes the closest to homemade, and if you really want to dress it up, you can add in freshly diced celery for more crunch. This chicken salad’s smooth consistency and classic taste earned it a gold star from our testers.
How To Make Quick And Easy Chicken Salad
Letting this sit in the fridge for a bit, helps meld the flavors together. Shoot for at least an hour. In a medium sized bowl combine the chicken, grapes, pecans, green onions, celery, mayonnaise, lemon, and mustard. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve with croissants, romaine, or with crackers. This chicken salad is always so fun for everyone to make their own sandwich or add it on top of green lettuce.
Don’t Miss: Macy’s Salad Bowl Set