Why I Love This Salad
I love salad recipes that are super easy to put together. When it’s hot and I am running around like a lunatic a few hours before hosting a bunch of people at my house, the last thing I want to do is spend a lot of time in the kitchen. For this recipe, all that’s involved is opening up a few cans of beans, chopping up some veggies and tossing it all together.
Using fresh corn kernels is key, as the sweetness of fresh crisp kernels really turns it up a notch. I squirt a generous amount of lime juice which adds a fresh, citrusy punch that really brings out the flavors of the beans and veggies. Scallions bring in an additional layer of oniony goodness . And what black bean salad would be complete without a creamy, perfectly ripe avocado?
But, the real star of the salad in my opinion is, wait for it…the juicy MANGO! They are in season right now, so they are super sweet and juicy. There is just something about mangos that goes surprisingly well with black beans and all of the other vegetables in this salad.
Black Bean And Mango Salad
One of Bush’s® top recipes of all timewe’re positive this salad will soon find a home in your recipe box. These recipes were created with our vegetarian and gluten-free friends in mind. However, we recommend reading each label to make sure every ingredient suits your dietary needs. Please also remember that product formulations can change, so if you ever have any questions, make sure to contact the product manufacturer!
- Prep Time
- 1 can Bush’s® Black Beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups diced mango
- 1 cup diced sweet red bell pepper
- 6 green onions, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro leaves
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 seeded jalapeno pepper, minced
- Salt to taste
How To Serve Mango Black Bean Salad
You can serve this black bean salad with mango as a hearty side salad, a mango black bean salsa, or even a light main. Some ideas include:
- As a chip topper: Serve with tortilla chips and other dipping tools/ chips.
- At a BBQ: Serve alongside all your favorite BBQ dishes like kabobs, grilled tofu steaks, BBQ tempeh, and options like this BBQ tempeh sandwich.
- With protein: To create a complete meal, serve the salad alongside your protein of choice like marinated tofu, tofu/tempeh kebabs, vegan chickn, etc.
You can also enjoy the mango bean salad over a bed of leafy greens and with a grain for a quick, complete meal.
You May Like: 5 Ingredient Chicken Salad Recipes
How To Make Ahead And Store
To make ahead, refrigerate the mango salad in a large bowl without the avocado, olive oil, lime juice, and salt covered for up to 24hrs . Then add the omitted ingredients and stir before serving.
Store: Once fully prepared, this black bean mango salad is best eaten within 24 hours as the ingredients will release juices, and it will become watery, and the veg will lose their crispness. However, the salad is technically fine to eat for several days .
Why We Love This Recipe
- Lettuce-less: I’m all about lettuce-less salads. They’re so much easier to make . Don’t get me wrong, I love a good kale or spinach salad for lunch. But this salad, with its creamy avocado, grilled corn, mango, and black beans, is much easier for entertaining and it doesn’t get soggy!
- Multi-purpose: You can serve this salad as a side dish, an appetizer or as a salsa. It’s also great served chilled or room temperature, so it’s perfect for bringing to a potluck.
- Full of fresh, summery flavors: Mango, lime, cilantro, avocado, and perfectly grilled sweet corn are some of our favorite refreshing summer flavors.
- Naturally vegan and gluten free!
You May Like: Where Can I Get A Chef Salad
Notes On Making Black Bean Mango Salad:
- The recipe calls for a can of white shoepeg corn, but a can of regular corn or Mexicorn would be fine as well. You could also substitute frozen, thawed corn or use fresh corn if its in season.
- I generally use two small Roma tomatoes for this recipe. Feel free to substitute another tomato.
- A red bell pepper or orange bell pepper would both work here and add fun color.
- Red onion is one of my faves, but if you dont like it or dont like raw red onion, you could leave it out.
- A regular cucumber works great here. You could also substitute an English cucumber if you prefer.
Tip: I start with about 2/3rds the amount of dressing. Then I mix the salad and see if it needs more.
Since its going to sit in the fridge, I tend to use it all , but you can add how much you like to your tastes.
I should also mention that the hot sauce we use Crystal brand is more flavor than heat, so this salad isnt at all spicy. It just adds some extra oomph. You can adjust the amount, depending on the brand you use and how spicy it is.
Finally, the leftovers of this salad keep great!
Store extra black bean and mango salad, covered, in the refrigerator, for up to 5 days. Stir it well to get the dressing all mixed back in before serving.
I hope you give this black bean mango salad a try for your next party, picnic, BBQ or just family dinner night!
Ingredients For This Mango Salad Recipe:
So, here is what you will need to make this Vegan Bean Salad Recipe: Red bell pepper, Red onion, Jalapeno, Black beans, Mangoes, Corn kernels, Cilantro leaves, Olive oil, Lime juice, Salt and pepper to taste, Ground cumin, and Chili powder
Furthermore, I have a few other recipes that you might want to check out if you have a moment:
Finally, remember to subscribe to my NEWSLETTER for free and receive all my new recipes like this Mango Black Bean Salad delivered right to your inbox!
If you try a recipe and you like it, please use my hashtag #healthyfitnessmeals on for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW Healthy Fitness Meals on | | | for all of my latest blog posts and recipes.
Also Check: Store Bought Salad Dressing Keto
Mango Black Bean Salad Recipe
First of all, move over traditional salad, its time to create magic in the kitchen with this Mango Black Bean Salad. This recipe is easy to make and delicious with anything you pair it with. We always have this with grilled chicken or Salmon. A couple of my kids have this just as is as a salad. So either way, you decide to have this you cant go wrong.
I love making a huge batch of this Mango Black Bean Salad Recipe because I save some in the fridge to have later or the next day as a quick snack. They are great for those who are into meal prepping. Oh did I forget to mention how yummy this is with some grilled or sautéed Shrimp?
Also, Whats not to love about the ingredients in this oh-so-delicious salad? This recipe makes a great side dish at home or when youre headed to a potluck. Surprise and delight your guests with this amazing Mango Black Bean Salad. Make sure you make plenty of it though, your family and guests will be requesting more ASAP! Black beans are making a comeback and theyre the guests of honor in this salad.
Black Bean And Mango Salad With Lime Dressing
Who’s loving that mangos are back in season right now?! I love making this black bean and mango salad when I have mangos on hand. When I was working full time , this salad was a meal prep MUST for me and Rajan.
I’m a year-round mango lover. It’s nice to have extra mangos on hand and freeze them for use in smoothies, salads, popsicles , by itself…you get the picture. I love mangos.
I also don’t like my salads to be basic. Remember the tempeh salad with miso ginger sauce? This is another not so boring salad right here. And definitely a favorite.
Read Also: Healthy Low Calorie Salad Dressing
How To Cut A Mango
Alternatively, you can use a vegetable peeler to peel the mango . Then dice the mango. That way, you wont waste any flesh and will have neat diced mango pieces.
What Is The Best Color Quinoa To Use In Quinoa Salad
This versatile seed comes in a variety of colors. The most common available are white, red, and tri-color which is a blend of white, red and black. White quinoa is the fluffiest so its best as a replacement in rice dishes. Red and tricolor work best in salads because they have a firmer texture and hold their shape without becoming too mushy.
Also Check: What Are The Ingredients For A Cobb Salad
Black Bean Mango Salad
by Katie · This post may contain affiliate links
Sharing is caring!
Make a delicious summer side dish of Black Bean Mango Salad that uses fresh seasonal ingredients with a can of drained black beans. All ingredients mixed together and refrigerated until ready to serve. This salad is both gluten free and dairy free and perfect for entertaining.
One of my favorite ways to enjoy mango is with my Black Bean Mango Salad. Its fresh, full of flavor, and the perfect side dish for the hot summer months. Ill be honest though. Growing up I had no idea about mango. It wasnt until my honeymoon in St. Lucia that I was introduced to this sweet and delicious fruit.
Upon arriving to our hotel we were greeted with a plate of fresh fruit. I had one bite of the mango and I was sold. When we bought our second house, we received a mango tree as a gift. Each season we grow more and more in love with mangoes. Its really fun to watch the kids get excited about eating the food they have watch grow in their backyard.
Is Quinoa Salad Healthy
Quinoa is rich in fiber, minerals, antioxidants and all nine essential amino acids, making it one of the healthiest and most nutritious foods. Add mango, black beans and bell peppers, and this quinoa salad packs with vitamin C, vitamin A, fiber, folate, iron and lutein, so its not just tasty, its also good for you.
Don’t Miss: What Ingredients Do You Put In Chicken Salad
Colorful Healthy Salad In 15 Minutes
Summer salads are one of the most wonderful ways to enjoy fresh colorful produce in a healthy and delightful way. This quick and easy mango salad has become one of my favorites, especially during the warmer months when mangoes are in peak season. It’s a regular in my home now because:
- Mangoes are naturally sweeter in their peak season, from May-September
- Black beans are a handy pantry ingredient I always have on hand
- It includes 10+ different plant-based ingredients , which are especially good for our gut flora!
- It’s cool and crunchy flavors provide a great textural contrast to many entrees, especially grilled protein.
- With some basic slicing and dicing, the mango salad is ready in 15 minutes!
- As an added bonus, it’s completely Gluten-Free, Vegetarian and Vegan!
So Here’s What You Need For This Black Bean And Mango Salad:
- Veggies: I used spinach, green onions, red onions, bell peppers. In the past, I have also included shredded cabbage, cherry tomatoes, lettuce, and avocados. Really easy to use up what’s in your fridge!
- Beans: I used canned black beans in this recipe. Try to find a reduced sodium or no sodium added option if you are using black beans and don’t forget to rinse them!
- Mangos: Because that’s what adds the perfect sweetness to this savory salad!
- Dressing: I make a very simple lime dressing to go with this which includes olive oil, lime juice, cumin powder, garlic, salt, and pepper. Another dressing I LOVE to use is my Avocado Cilantro Dressing.
- Optional additions: grains , avocados, cilantro, cheese/vegan cheese, salsa, or a side of vegan esquites.
There’s so many ways to put this salad together. It’s hearty enough that you can eat it alone as a salad. I, however, was extra hungry so I mixed it up with the dressing and put it in a fresh tortilla. With a side of vegan esquites :).
Add this to your next meal prep list . Let me know if you tried this in the comments below!
Recommended Reading: Calories In Wendys Taco Salad
How To Make Black Bean Mango Salad
Once you have all the ingredients prepped, all it takes is a simple toss with the homemade lime dressing for a crisp, crunchy, colorful salad ready in 15 minutes!
Mango Cutting Tips: Learn How to Cut a Mango, with tips and tricks to peel, cut, slice, and dice a mango with step-by-step photos and instructions.
Top Recipe Tips And Notes
- To adjust the heat: Simply adjust the amount of red pepper flakes added.
- Dont skip the resting time: Allow the mango side dish at least an hour to marinate as this will allow all the flavors to meld, which is what takes this simple black bean salad with mango to new heights of tastiness.
- Top tip for low budgets: Using dried beans is more inexpensive than canned. Cook up a massive batch in one go and store the excess in the freezer for several months. That way, you always have some handy when needed.
- Dont use an overripe mango: The sweet spot for any salad with mango is to use a fruit that has some give when pressed but is still reasonably firm. That way, it will hold its shape when chopped and wont be mushy.
- To add salt and pepper: The black pepper can be added with all the other ingredients. However, its best to only salt the salad when served on plates. Adding it directly into the mango black bean salad will pull excess liquid from the mango and make it mushy quicker.
- Adjust the texture: Easily adjust this mango bean salad into a mango black bean salsa by simply chopping the ingredients into smaller pieces, and voila! In fact, you can chop the ingredients as fine/chunky as youd like.
Read Also: Best Blue Cheese Salad Dressing
How To Enjoy Black Bean & Mango Salad
My favorite way to enjoy eating this salad is scooping it onto tortilla chips. But I recommend getting some good quality authentic style tortilla chips. It makes all the difference. We love Hermosa or Late July brand chips.
I’ve also been known to spoon some of this salad into a soft corn tortilla and top it with some cheese and salsa.
You could also add a few spoonfuls into lettuce and make mango and black bean lettuce cups!
I’m not going to lie, I do love a margarita with all the above!
- Add beans, corn, tomatoes, peppers, avocado, mango, scallions and cilantro to a medium sized bowl.
- Pour in the lime juice, then sprinkle in the chili powder, salt and pepper.
- Gently toss to combine all ingredients and adjust seasonings to taste.
Crisp & Crunchy Mango Salad Recipe
This mango black bean salad is inspired by my friend Ron, who is a big advocate of eating 30 plant-based foods a week. It’s actually his mom’s recipe , and looking at the diverse and colorful ingredients, I couldn’t resist making a version of my own.
There’s another reason I wanted to make this salad. Mango is my hubby’s favorite fruit, and perhaps the ONLY fruit that can make him forget his low-carb diet. But mangoes are really high in carbs.
One cup of mango contains 25 grams of carbs, 23 of those from sugar. So, this salad is a great way to satisfy those mango cravings while staying in moderation.
It combines sweet and juicy mangoes with a bountiful mix of fresh and pantry ingredients tossed in a zesty homemade lime vinaigrette. I love it for the ease and convenience, but it’s particularly special for that burst of fresh summer flavor.
You May Like: Chicken Salad Chick Valdosta Ga
This Delicious Salad Is Protein Packed And Full Of Flavor Too You Can Eat It As A Side Dish Main Dish Or Even As A Snack With Some Chips Its So Easy
Does anyone else get stuck in a rut when it comes to side dishes or is that just me?! Thats why I feel like Im always on the prowl for different salads, veggies or any new trendy way to prepare ingredients. And a few sides Ive been loving so far this season are non-green salads or more speficially this easy and refreshing black bean and mango saladwith avocado! Its quick and easy, super flavorful and has so many different flavors and textures too! Which makes it such a nice change of pace from the standard green salad that can get a littleerr boring, to say the least. So if you have a non-lettuce lover in your life, try making this salad for them instead! I bet you anything theyll fall head over heels for this tasty dish!
Whenever Im looking for good quality organic ingredients, I always head to my local Sprouts! They always have my favorite organic black beans in stock and theyre incredibly low in sodium too!
How to make the best black bean, mango and avocado salad
How to prep and store this salad