How Long Does Chicken Salad Last
In the Refrigerator? This recipe keeps well in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Simply store in an airtight container. Refrigerate right after serving.
Left Out at Room Temperature? For food safety, I like to stick to what the FDA advisesthe two-hour rule.which applies since this recipe has chicken and mayonnaise, you should not leave this out at room temperature for any longer than two hours.
Left Out at Picnic or Potluck? If you are serving this at a summer event and the temperature is warmer, you should be extra careful to refrigerate as soon as possible. Again, I look to the FDA for their safety rule. If the outside temperature is above 90 degrees, the two-hour rule becomes ONE hour.
Chicken Salad With Herb Mayonnaise
This herby chicken salad uses roasted chicken breasts, but rotisserie chicken works well, too. Parsley, dill, chives, oregano, and lemon juice give the salad a lively flavor. Serve in lettuce cups, or in sandwich bread with sliced tomato and lettuce. Add deep-fried sweet potato chips to the plate for a delicious lunch.
What Is Chicken Salad Sandwich Made Of
The chicken, apple, onion, and celery should be combined in a large bowl. Season mayonnaise with salt and pepper in a medium bowl as well as Dijon, and vinegar with mayonnaise. Sprinkle dressing on top of chicken mixture and toss in the salad. You should garnish your baguette with chopped dill and, if your cheese needs to go, with ice cubes.
You May Like: Does Chick Fil A Have A Salad
How Do You Make Plain Chicken Salad
I am not opposed to gourmet chicken salad with nuts, fruit, fancy spices and dried fruit. But for a sandwich, nothing beats this basic chicken salad recipe. Just those three simple ingredients, a sprinkle of salt and pepper, and no more.
If youre looking for a good, easy chicken salad recipe without celery, like my dad, this is it.
If you like your chicken salad without eggs , like I do, this will make your belly happy. Ive never really understood why people put boiled eggs in chicken salad. No thanks!
You dont really need a recipe, but Im including one at the end of this post so you can get the proportions right.
Now, Im pretty sure chicken salad is eaten everywhere from east to west, north to south and everywhere in between. But in my mind, its a quintessentially southern food, the kind of thing youll find at summer picnics or church potlucks or baby showers, served out of a big Tupperware bowl alongside the sweet tea, baked beans, potato salad, pimento cheese and mandarin orange JELL-O salad.
But no matter where yall are from, I know you can appreciate a good meal, especially a simple one that can be fancied up depending on the occasion.
What To Serve With Chicken Salad Sandwich
There are a few ways to present this amazing chicken salad. Spread it on a flakey croissant, , serve with ritz crackers and a vegetable tray, or serve in lettuce cups for a low carb option. Salty potato chips, in my opinion, are a must, but there are other options that will still make a satisfying meal, whether its lunch or dinner. Serve with a wonderful cup of soup, some fruit, and vegetables with this incredible dip and youve got it made!
Dressings, Sauces, and Dips
Read Also: Gluten Dairy Free Salad Dressing
Chicken Salad With Walnuts And Grapes
Grapes, walnuts, and chicken come together in a creamy mayo-sour cream dressing. Toss this tasty salad in 20 minutes and serve it on bread, lettuce leaves, or with mixed greens with slices of avocado. It makes a great last-minute lunch if you have leftover chicken or turkey. Add radicchio for a pungent crunch, or use crushed roasted seaweed for a salty and crunchy texture.
How To Serve Chicken Salad
This salad can be served as a side salad or as a main course. We love to serve it for lunch because its easy to turn it into a meal.
- Over Mixed Greens place your favorite greens such as arugula or mixed salad greens into a large bowl, top with the chicken salad, and serve.
- Lettuce Cups serving in lettuce cups is a great low-carb option for lunch.
- Croissant Sandwiches Cut the croissant in half without cutting all the way through then fill it with the salad. It tastes like a bakery-quality sandwich.
- Pita Bread we love to stuff a pita with chicken salad, its so simple and good.
Pro Tip: The best way to reheat a croissant is to toast it in an air fryer at 350F for 3 minutes until its lightly crisp on the outside and warmed through. This is what we do with store-bought croissants and they taste like they just came out of a bakery oven.
Also Check: Wooden Salad Bowl Serving Set
How To Spice Up Your Chicken Salad
Chicken salad is a lunchbox staple, a faithful companion on picnics, and a good way to ease into the transition from summer to fall. Chicken salad is the answer to packing a sandwich on days where something on the stove feels too ambitious. It’s fast, it’s filling, and it can be packed with flavor.
The quintessential version has shredded chicken, mayonnaise, maybe some mustard or lemon juice, celery, dill, and maybe some parsley too. That’s the classic. But it’s far from the only way to make a chicken salad, and if you’re feeling in a little bit of a sandwich rut, you should get creative.
The main components of the chicken salad are chicken, of course, some kind of creamy binder or dressing, some kind of crunchy component, and spices or herbs. Some acid in there often provides a pleasant contrast, too. And if you like a little pop of sweetness, sliced fruit, like grapes or tomatoes, goes well with the mixture too. But really, those three components are what you need. Once you understand the template, you can do some experimenting to take chicken salad into a whole new world of lunching.
Can I Make Chicken Salad With Canned Chicken
When it comes to the three basic ingredients in this easy homemade chicken salad recipe, you have flexibility there, too. You can poach a chicken breast or use leftover grilled or rotisserie chicken or open up a can of white-meat chicken. If using leftover chicken, you just want to make sure to shred it, using two forks or your mixer, before making the chicken salad.
My mom usually made this chicken salad using canned Swansons or Tyson chicken breast. I usually keep some canned chicken breast in my pantry so I can make this southern chicken salad at a moments notice.
Recommended Reading: How To Make Chipotle Salad Dressing
Can I Use Something Besides Pickle Relish
The pickle relish in this recipe provides a lot of flavor, thanks to the sweetness and tartness of the pickle brine.
I do recommend you use sweet relish, not dill pickle relish. You can also dice up some sweet pickles if you dont have any relish on hand.
And I bet some sweet and spicy pepper jelly used in place of the relish would be pretty tasty.
Ingredients Needed For Chicken Salad
- Cooked chicken breasts I like to use rotisserie chicken. Youll need a large rotisserie chicken to get 3 cups cubed chicken breasts .
- Lemon be sure to zest first before slicing and juicing as this recipe calls for both.
- Celery this gives the chicken salad a nice light crunch. Dice it up small.
- Green onions red onions can be substituted for a stronger flavor.
- Parsley skip the dried it doesnt have near as much flavor as fresh.
- Mayonnaise use good quality mayonnaise for best flavor, such as Hellmans/Best Foods. I really does make a difference since theres a fair amount used.
- Dijon mustard feel free to add more to taste if you like a stronger mustard flavor.
- Bread or lettuce for serving.
Read Also: How To Cook Chicken Salad
Crunchy Middle Eastern Chicken Salad
The Spruce Eats / Anita Schecter
Give your chicken salad a Middle Eastern spin with this impressive recipe. Greek yogurt tahini serves as the dressing, and it’s easy to make with just a few ingredients. That’s mixed with shredded chicken, carrots, almonds, cilantro, and za’atar seasoning, which you can whip up, too. Try this salad on naan bread with baby spinach.
Other Additions To Chicken Salad:
I like the recipe as-is, but feel free to jazz it up with any/all of these ingredients.
- Chopped grapes
- Slivered or sliced almonds for some crunch
- A splash of pickle juice and/or chopped pickles or relish
- Hot sauce for a kick
- Cooked and crumbled bacon
- Fresh herbs: try replacing the red onion with chives, and finely chopped tarragon would be delicious in here
Don’t Miss: Dressing For Potato Salad With Mayo
How To Make Quick And Easy Chicken Salad
Letting this sit in the fridge for a bit, helps meld the flavors together. Shoot for at least an hour. In a medium sized bowl combine the chicken, grapes, pecans, green onions, celery, mayonnaise, lemon, and mustard. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve with croissants, romaine, or with crackers. This chicken salad is always so fun for everyone to make their own sandwich or add it on top of green lettuce.
How To Serve Classic Chicken Salad
When making sandwiches I suggest choosing a sturdy sliced bread like sourdough or a whole grain sandwich bread. Load up your sandwiches with the toppings you love lettuce, tomatoes, thinly sliced red onion and my life is not complete without a couple of bread and butter pickles.
Or skip the bread altogether and mound this Chicken Salad on leafy greens with lots of fresh veggies for a wholesome meal.
Don’t Miss: Does Arby’s Have Chicken Salad Sandwiches
How To Make Chicken Salad :
Start by prepping everything. Add the dressing ingredients to a medium-sized prep bowl. Mix it all together so you’ve got a smooth dressing. Add the remaining ingredients and mix/toss until everything is well coated. Give it a taste and add extra salt & pepper if needed. You can also take this opportunity to tweak it to your tastes . Full ingredients & instructions are in the recipe card below.
What Goes Into Chicken Salad
The great thing about chicken salad is that it can be changed up based on whats in your fridge! Keep the ratios the same as the recipe below but swap out the add ins and seasonings
You May Like: Joseph Joseph Salad Bowl With Servers
Ingredients For Chicken Salad
The 5 ingredients in this chicken salad are so simple, but each one is important for the best taste, texture, and color.
- Chicken we use 2 large chicken breasts from a whole roasted chicken, but you can use rotisserie chicken or sauteed chicken breasts instead. Leftover dark meat chicken will also work.
- Celery adds a great crunch to the salad and lightens up the flavor. Even if you arent a fan of celery, dont skimp on it and I hope you give it a try.
- Grapes add sweet juiciness to the salad. Just like in our Broccoli Grape Salad, the grapes are a refreshing addition and make the salad feel fancy.
- Pecans we toasted nuts on a dry skillet to give them even more flavor.
- Red onion finely chop half of a medium red onion, or you can add red onion to taste. You can also substitute for chopped green onion, but red onion keeps better refrigerated.
Fancy Chicken Salad Recipe
We call this Fancy Chicken Salad because of the dressing, grapes, and pecans, but its truly easy. This is a fresher and lightened-up version of classic chicken salad and its perfect for meal prep.
This is the perfect side dish or main course. Its especially easy if you use leftover Roasted Chicken. Watch the video tutorial and see how simple it is.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
We love protein-packed salads like our Chicken Avocado Salad, Autumn Chopped Chicken Salad, and Cobb Salad. This creamy chicken salad is really the best combination of chicken salad and Waldorf salad that will become a go-to for lunch.
You May Like: What To Put In Pasta Salad
Tips For This Recipe:
- Either chill the chicken before you make the salad or chill the chicken salad mixture before serving.
- Try adding different mix-ins to your chicken salad: different kinds of nuts, grapes, apples, dried cranberries, dried cherries, avocado, chopped green onion or red onion.
- Cook your chicken ahead of time so that you can make this recipe quickly. Try my Instant Pot Shredded Chicken or Crockpot Shredded Chicken. Cooked chicken will stay fresh for up to 4 days in the refrigerator, so go by the date when your chicken was cooked to figure out how long you can store your chicken salad in the fridge.
- For a low carb lunch, serve chicken salad in lettuce wraps or on top of a spinach salad.
Ingredients In Chicken Salad
- Use leftovers from last nights dinner or leftover rotisserie chicken or grilled chicken.
- To Make Chicken for chicken salad I like to use either poached chicken or baked chicken breasts or thighs.
- You can use canned chicken in a pinch but of course fresh is best when possible.
- Ensure the chicken is cooled and shred or chop the chicken into bite sized pieces.
- As this is a classic chicken salad recipe, Ive kept the additions to a minimum. Celery for crunch, green onions for flavor.
- This recipe can be made with a variety of nuts, veggies, and fruit for added flavor and texture.
- Chicken salad with grapes, avocado or dried cranberries is a favorite. Pecans or almonds pair well with this recipe.
- Mayonnaise is the base of this recipe and its simply seasoned.
- You can get creative and substitute some of the mayo for ranch dressing or your favorite salad dressing recipe.
- Create an Avocado Chicken Salad by replacing some of the mayonnaise with mashed avocado.
You May Like: Soup And Salad Serving Dishes
What Sides Go With Chicken Patty Sandwich
Cajun Chicken Salad With Pecans
For a really flavorful hero sandwich, try this Cajun chicken salad with pecans. Celery, green onions, chopped pecans, fresh parsley, and some Cajun seasoning are mixed with a creamy and spicy mayo-Tabasco-cayenne dressing. For tree nut allergies, use pepitas or sunflower seeds instead. For extra flavor, add cooked crispy bacon or cubed cured ham.
Recommended Reading: Fiesta 7 1 4 Inch Salad Plate
How Does Martha Stewart Make Chicken Salad
Tips And Variations For The Best Chicken Salad
Crunchy, savory, sweet, and a bit creamy chicken salad is the perfect dish.
- Chicken: Use any type of chicken you have on hand. You can use rotisserie, leftover BBQ, roasted, or even broiled chicken. Whatever you use, chop it up or shred it so it is easy to spread, spoon, and eat.
- Grapes: You can use red or green grapes or a combination of both. Green grapes can be a bit tart sometimes and the red grapes add color.
- Nuts: Pecans are a classic but you can substitute them for walnuts, almonds, or cashews. Roast them for a bit of extra flavor.
- Mayonnaise: If you are not a fan of mayo, you can use sour cream or non-fat Greek yogurt.
- Different Fruit: Try chopped apples or dried cranberries.
Recommended Reading: Reser’s Deviled Egg Potato Salad
How Can I Make Chicken Salad Healthier
Many people ask, Is chicken salad healthy? Chicken salad can definitely fit into your healthy-eating planwith a few tasty tweaks. Use lean, white breast meat to start. To cut back on the fat and calories from mayonnaise, incorporate mashed avocado, plain Greek yogurt or vegan mayonnaise When choosing your crunchy ingredients, opt for fresh, chopped veggies like onions, green bell peppers or carrots. Finally, serve your chicken salad in a lettuce wedge or over a mixed greens salad for more nutrients without the extra carbs.
What Goes With Chicken Salad
If youre looking to make a meal out of chicken salad, consider serving it as part of a salad plate with a scoop of pimento cheese and a scoop of tuna salad.
It can be served on a sandwich, on soft broad or toasted, or on top of a green salad. You may also enjoy a side of fruit or fruit salad with chicken salad.
For a filling lunch, make your own restaurant-style pick two combo with a cup of soup and a chicken salad sandwich.
Recommended Reading: Low Fodmap Salad Dressing Brands