The Best Old Fashioned Egg Salad Recipe
Old Fashioned Egg Salad is just like you remember from your childhood. Perfectly cooked hard boiled eggs are chopped and combined with mayonnaise, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, celery, scallion, parsley, kosher salt and pepper for a delicious salad. Serve over lettuce or on bread or toast if you would like. This is the best egg salad recipe!
Some of my favorite recipes are ones from my childhood. Experimenting in the kitchen during my youthful days was usually around lunchtime in the summer months. With my Mom and Dad working and me enjoying the freedom of no school, I freely roamed the kitchen. Old Fashioned Egg Salad was a lunchtime favorite.
Boiling the perfect hard cooked egg was a challenge I wanted to master as a young chef in the making. As a faithful viewer of The French Chef, Julia Child taught me all I needed to know about hard boiled eggs.
How To Make Chicken Salad
This recipe really is so easy to put together, it wont take any time at all.
How Long Does Chicken Salad Last
In the Refrigerator? This recipe keeps well in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Simply store in an airtight container. Refrigerate right after serving.
Left Out at Room Temperature? For food safety, I like to stick to what the FDA advisesthe two-hour rule.which applies since this recipe has chicken and mayonnaise, you should not leave this out at room temperature for any longer than two hours.
Left Out at Picnic or Potluck? If you are serving this at a summer event and the temperature is warmer, you should be extra careful to refrigerate as soon as possible. Again, I look to the FDA for their safety rule. If the outside temperature is above 90 degrees, the two-hour rule becomes ONE hour.
Read Also: How To Meal Prep Salad For A Week
Rotisserie Chicken Makes Chicken Salad Easy
I’m a frequent customer at our local Costco and almost never leave there without a rotisserie chicken or two in my basket. I either bring it home and divide it for use in a dish later that day, or remove the chicken from the bone and pop it into the freezer to have ready for a meal on a hectic day. Today. it became this luscious and creamy chicken salad. My Mom put eggs in both her tuna salad and chicken salad so I do the same for mine. You could of course, leave the eggs out if you prefer, but my taste is certainly to include the hard boiled eggs for the added texture and flavor. Thanks to a cooked rotisserie chicken, this chicken salad comes together in no time and keeps my family happy between meal time. It doesn’t get any better than that.
Whats In This Southern
Recommended Reading: Hidden Valley Ranch Salad Dressing Nutrition Facts
Fancy Chicken Salad Recipe:
This old fashioned chicken salad recipe is full of surprises. The ingredients are unique, yet they come together to create a crunchy, sweet, fancy chicken salad.
- Diced chicken
- Canned Sweet Cherries
- Chopped Pecans
I love the crunchy factor that comes from the combination of the gherkins, celery and chopped pecans. And the sweet cherries give just enough sweetness. But, I would have to say that the peas are the most surprising ingredient.
If you arent into peas, then omit them. No harm done.
Notes About Chicken Salad With Cherries:
- I used a rotisserie chicken for this chicken salad with cherries and pecan recipe. You could also use a few cans of canned chicken breast, or poach your own chicken.
- This recipe easily doubles to serve a crowd. This also allows you to use the entire cans of cherries and peas.
- Substitute dried cherries for canned, if desired.
- This pecan cherry chicken salad calls for Royal Ann Canned cherries, but the regular canned cherries are perfectly delicious too.
- I prefer LeSeuer very small peas for this recipe. They are dainty and cute and very fancy.
- Use frozen peas instead of canned, or omit if peas arent your thing.
- For an extra fancy meal, serve on a croissant bun or mini Hawaiian bun.
Also Check: Crispy Chicken Salad Chick Fil A
Expert Tips And Recipe Variations
To mix your classic macaroni salad up, you can add drained green olives, vegetables like crunchy diced bell pepper, or even sweet pickles . Alternative fresh herbs are often used to add additional seasoning. Fresh dill is a common choice.
Not a fan of elbow macaroni? Feel free to experiment with different pasta sizes as well. If you choose something other than the macaronis and go with farfalle, pasta shells, or fusilli it can bring a texture change that a lot of people really love as unique.
Video Result For Old Fashioned 7 Layer Pea Salad
How to Make Jell-O Salad Like a ’50s TV Mom
7 layer salad 7 layer salad
Vegan 7 Layer Salad | Chef Joya | Say What! It’s Vegan?
Create, Cook, Talk: Seven Layer Salad
How To Make Old Fashioned Macaroni Salad….(Note In…
How I Make Split Pea Soup from Scratch, Best Old…
COOKING with JOHNI – Layered Pea Salad
Big BINGE and 7-Layer Salad Recipe
Nine Layer Salad
Best Macaroni Salad Ever – How to Make Deli-Style…
Ham Spread/ Bologna and Pickle Spread/ Old Fashioned…
How to Make OLD FASHIONED BAKED CUSTARD
What’s Cookin’ In Mammy’s Kitchen: Season 1 Episode 4
Grow Together: Pea and Bean Shoots
Homemade 7up Pound Cake Recipe – From Scratch |…
New Year’s Black Eyed Peas with Smoked Neck Bones |…
ITALIAN PASTA SALAD
EGG SALAD RECIPE | how to make egg salad 2 easy ways
How to make Hachee: Old-fashioned Dutch Beef Stew with…
How We Make Georgie Porgy Pie, Best Old Fashioned…
Letuce by Felicia | Seven Layer Salad
Ham and Split Pea Soup Recipe
Creamiest Southern Style POTATO SALAD | Easy Side Dish…
Black-Eyed Pea Soup for Good Luck on New Years Day!
A Go-To Wisconsin Recipe for the Summer
Fresh Cucumber Salad
Split Pea soup with Ham Bone
A delicious root-to-leaf beet salad recipe
Seafood Shrimp and Crab Salad, and Roasted Chicken…
Potato Salad From Debbie dung a yaad
Turkey & Stuffing Dinner in a Crock Pot, Best Old…
Easy Salmon Lasagna Recipe | How To Seafood Lasagna
How to Make Old Fashioned Cornbread for Your Dressing…
Strawberry Pretzel Salad!
Don’t Miss: Salad Dressing Bottle With Spout
Dill Pickle Potato Salad
Dill pickles add pizzazz to this old-fashioned chilled salad. The creamy, well-dressed side dish makes a flavorful and attractive addition to a Fourth of July picnic or church supper.-Nancy Holland, Morgan Hill, California More Pickle Recipes
Provided by Taste of Home
- 3 pounds potatoes
- 6 hard-boiled large eggs, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium dill pickles, finely chopped
- 1-1/2 cups mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup dill pickle juice
- 4-1/2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- Optional: Leaf lettuce and dill pickle slices
- Place potatoes in a Dutch oven or large kettle and cover with water bring to a boil. Reduce heat cover and simmer until tender, 20-30 minutes. Drain and cool., Peel and cube potatoes place in a large bowl. Add eggs, celery, onions and pickles. , In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, pickle juice, mustard, celery seed, salt and pepper until blended. Pour over potato mixture mix well. Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours. If desired, serve in a lettuce-lined bowl and top with pickle slices.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 415 calories, Fat30g fat , Cholesterol139mg cholesterol, Sodium677mg sodium, Carbohydrate30g carbohydrate , Protein7g protein.
Cook Uncovered In Boiling Salted Water Until Noodles Are Tender About 10 Minutes
Old fashioned chicken and egg noodles recipe. Add a couple tablespoons of the fat from the boiled chicken. Pour the egg mixture into the nest. In a large pot, sauté onions and carrots in olive oil until the onions are slightly golden.
Once tender, stir in peas. Millers old fashioned egg noodles, width of your choice 3 cups chopped chicken ¼ tsp. March 30, 2018 at 5:55 pm.
Let them boil gently, stirring frequently, until. Sprinkle with the pinch of salt. Chicken alfredo with fettuccini noodles.
Add noodles to the broth. Starting with approximately 1/2 to 1 cup of flour per egg, make a mound of flour with a nest in the middle on a large pastry board or flat surface. Bring broth back to a slow boil.
Really, does it get any better? Once the chicken is cooked, shred it with two forks. On lightly floured board, roll thin, then.
Bake chicken for about 45 minutes. Preheat oven to 350f degrees. Remove and set on a plate.
Add garlic and sauté for 1. Roll noodles very thin on a floured surface. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
Remove chicken from pot then shred and set aside. Next, add frozen egg noodles to dutch oven and cook according to package directions. Let dry for 2 hours.
If you are cooking the noodles with meat, you will want to bring the cooked meat to a boil with the broth. Add noodles and bring back to full boil. Black pepper salt to taste juice of 1 lemon 1 bunch of cilantro, finely chopped.
Creamy chicken noodle stew Recipe Stew, Creamy chicken
Read Also: What Goes In Chicken Salad Sandwiches
Chicken Salad With Grapes Recipe
Dinner 5 mins
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This Chicken Salad with Grapes Recipe makes a quick, delicious meal! It also has roasted nuts for the best chicken salad recipe and makes a great chicken salad sandwich too!
Chicken salad has to be one of the most perfect dishes for an easy meal at home or to take to a picnic or potluck. This recipe is absolutely full of amazing flavor, is simple to make and is positively the best chicken salad Ive ever eaten!
I think this chicken salad recipe is such a delicious one because the generous amount of chicken is combined with fruit and toasted pecans for a savory crunch and flavor thats a hit every time! Its a recipe that I turn to time and time again for family meals, picnics, and parties. And you just have to try this for the best chicken salad sandwich ever!
More About Old Fashioned Potato Salad With Sweet Pickles Food
OLD FASHIONED POTATO SALAD RECIPE – VALERIE’S KITCHEN
- Add unpeeled potatoes to a deep pot that has a cover. Add enough water to cover the potatoes and place over HIGH heat. Bring water to a boil, reduce heat to MEDIUM, cover the pot and cook at a low boil for 20 to 25 minutes, or until tender when pierced with a sharp knife. Drain and immediately rinse potatoes with cold water until cool enough to handle. Use paper towels to pull the peels off the potatoes and chop into small pieces.
- Combine chopped potatoes, diced onion, and diced celery in a large mixing bowl. Season with ¼ teaspoon salt and toss to combine.
- In a small mixing bowl combine mayonnaise, mustard, celery salt, pepper, and pickle relish. Add to potato mixture and gently stir to combine. Fold in chopped hard-boiled eggs. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper, if needed.
DILL PICKLE POTATO SALAD RECIPE – CRUNCHY CREAMY SWEET
OLD FASHIONED POTATO SALAD RECIPE | GRANDMA’S FAMOUS
- Clean the potatoes and boil them with the peel on. Boil them until the peel begins to crack, that’s how you’ll know they’re done.
- Hard boil the 18 eggs, and then remove them from the water until they’re cool. This step can also be done in advance if you want to save some waiting time for them to cool.
- Peel the potatoes, then chop them into bite size pieces . Place the chopped potato in a very large bowl.
You May Like: Can Dogs Eat Tuna Salad
Old Fashioned Macaroni Salad
No barbecue or picnic is complete without a helping of Hellmans macaroni salad! This easy macaroni salad recipe has all the classic flavors of grandmas recipe with some delicious additions. Just like my Rotini Pasta Salad, you can whip this recipe up in a matter of minutes.
Adding chopped bell peppers brings a delightfully sweet crunch to the creamy pasta salad. A touch of mustard, a little apple cider vinegar and hard boiled eggs make this a side dish worth writing home about!
What Goes With Chicken Salad
I love serving soup or a side salad along side of chicken salad. Try Old Fashioned Chicken Noodle Soup, Cheesy Zucchini Soup, Potato Soup, Classic Spinach Salad, French Dinner Salad, Carrot Raisin Salad, Potato Salad or Cucumbers and Onions.
The original recipe from my Louisiana Junior League Cook Book says to start with a 4 pound chicken, and cook it yourself. Well, lets just say thats more time than I have on most days.
So, I took a shortcut and used a rotisserie chicken in which I removed the skin and bones, and diced into bite-sized pieces. Im pretty sure both my Grandmas would have loved the convenience of a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store.
If youre serving a large crowd, go ahead and double the recipe. This allows you to use the entire cans of the peas and cherries, or if youre like me, go ahead and add the whole cans of both to this recipe. It wont hurt a thing, and that way you dont have extra ingredients sitting in the fridge to be used up.
Also Check: How To Make Tuna Salad With Fresh Tuna
Best Way To Add Crunch
As stated above, this recipe is a classic salad. As such, I leave out the whole filled with tons of ingredients and rely on simple flavors just like my grandma used to make . However, if you want to add more to it, this BBQ side dish is super simple to alter.
If you like crunch, try a bit of sweet onion, some green peppers, or if you want more flavor a tsp of sweet pickle juice or white vinegar. I love experimenting and creating new salads, although this recipe, as is, needs nothing else!
How To Make Macaroni Salad
Whats Needed To Make This Recipe:
Ingredients at a glance, full printable recipe found below.
- Uncooked pasta I used elbow macaroni noodles but any short pasta noodle would work. Use gluten-free pasta if you are avoiding gluten.
- Red bell pepper any color would work.
- Green bell pepper any color would work.
- Red onion can substitute with green onion.
- Dill pickle you can substitute with sweet pickles if you prefer a touch of sweetness.
- Hardboiled eggs omit to make this recipe vegan.
- Mayonnaise use vegan mayo to make this recipe vegan. We like Hellmans.
- Apple cider vinegar white vinegar would also work.
- Yellow mustard you can also use Dijon mustard or spicy brown mustard. Be sure to read the labels if you have dietary restrictions.
- Sea salt use half the amount if you are using table salt.
- Ground black pepper
At a glance, full printable recipe below.
- Cook pasta, drain and rinse with cool water.
- Mix together pasta, veggies, pickles and chopped egg.
- Mix together macaroni salad dressing ingredients.
- Pour dressing over macaroni mixture, stir to combine and chill.
Read Also: Best Dressing For Chicken Salad
Do You Put Eggs In Chicken Salad
If youre making a Waldorf chicken salad or some other classic chicken salad, you may not want to put eggs in it. For this homestyle southern chicken salad, chopped hard boiled eggs are an essential ingredient.
The creamy yolks add extra creamy texture to this keto chicken salad. If you are curious about how long to boil your eggs, check out this post on how to make boiled eggs.
Is Chicken Salad Healthy
It all depends on the amount of mayonnaise used, because mayonnaise is high in calories and saturated fat.
But don’t worry this salad only uses ½ cup, which is just over 1 tablespoon per serving. Still want to lighten it up. Substitute half the mayonnaise for a quarter cup of fresh avocado to add some “good fat” or with ¼ c Greek yogurt. There are also several “Light” mayonnaise options on the market that will reduce the calories.
You May Like: Healthy Low Calorie Salad Dressing
Old Fashioned Chicken Salad Sandwich
Old Fashioned Chicken Salad Sandwiches! This classic comfort recipe is inspired by the one my grandma used to make when I was growing up. It includes chopped chicken, celery, boiled eggs, and pickle relish mixed in a mayonnaise/miracle whip dressing, but I also share some variations to try below if youre partial to nuts, grapes, or curry in your version.
This favorite meal from my childhood is always what I turn to when I need a little comfort Chicken Salad Sandwiches just cant be beat.
This dish takes me right back to my grandmothers kitchen table!