How To Serve Greek Salad
The great thing about this salad is it can be served as a whole meal or enjoyed as a delicious side dish! Here are some of my favorite ways to serve up this salad:
- Mix in a protein such as chicken or even chickpeas
- Serve alongside my Greek chicken kabobs
- Make it creamy with some chopped avocado
- Throw this salad in a wrap or gyro and drizzle with some tzatziki sauce
- Perfect side dish to pizza, soups or sandwiches
What Is Greek Salad Dressing Made Of
Salad dressings are one of the easiest things to make from scratch. All youve got to do is get the right balance of ingredients, mix them together and youre good to go.
This easy vegan Greek salad dressing uses a combination of creamy hummus, zingy lemon juice and flavor-packed garlic to bring even the dullest salads to life. I used my 5 ingredient lentil hummus recipe because I thought the bright lemon juice would perfectly contrast the earthy flavor of the lentils. But feel free to use whatever type of hummus you have on hand.
Although the title says 3-Ingredient Creamy Greek Salad Dressing, there are technically 4 ingredients in this dish. The final ingredient is water which youll need to thin out the simple Greek salad dressing so you can pour it over the salad. But I think we can all agree that water doesnt really count as an ingredient, right?
Easy Homemade Greek Dressing For Salads And Dipping
Posted on Last updated:
Homemade Greek salad dressing doesnt need to be difficult this easy to make recipe uses simple ingredients to create a flavor identical to your favorite Greek restaurant!
If you have ever wondered how the Greek place down the street from you ALWAYS seems to have the best salad dressing then this recipe is for you. The grocery store bottles claim to be authentic but never quite hit the spot and leave many of us feeling disappointed- but dont worry guys weve got you covered with this slightly creamy, deliciously tangy Greek Salad Dressing.
You May Like: Taco Soup Recipe With Hidden Valley Ranch
Also Check: Walden Farms Calorie Free Salad Dressing
Make This Recipe In Advance
Make ahead: Prepare this dressing as much as a week or two before you plan to serve it. Just gently stir it to recombine all the ingredients and then serve.
Storing: Refrigerate this Greek Salad Dressing in an airtight jar, like a mason jar, or in any type of dressing pitcher that has a cork or lid. It tastes best when eaten within 2 weeks.
Freeze: Unfortunately, this dressing doesnt thaw well after freezing, so just make as much as you can enjoy in 2 weeks.
How To Make A Classic Greek Salad
There are actually multiple schools of thought when it comes to Greek salads and what should be included. The main point of contention is whether or not it should contain lettuce. Most classic recipes do not include lettuce. Here’s how they are prepared:
- Chopped cucumbers
- Greek Kalalmata olives
- Sliced or cubed feta
- A drizzle of Greek olive oil, red wine vinegar, and lemon juice
- Heavy sprinkling of oregano
American style Greek salads will also usually contain chopped Romaine lettuce, pepperoncini peppers, and are topped with a mixed Greek dressing as opposed to the separate components.
Read Also: Tomato Basil And Mozzarella Salad
How To Make Greek Yogurt Salad Dressing
Step 1: Portion Out the ingredients
Measure out half a cup of Greek yogurt , one-quarter cup of olive oil, one-quarter cup of apple cider vinegar, two teaspoons of honey, half a teaspoon of salt, half a teaspoon of garlic powder, and one-quarter teaspoon of dried dill.
Step 2: Whisk Together Ingredients
Vigorously whisk together all of the ingredients in a medium sized mixing bowl.
Step 3: Pour into storage container
Pour your dressing into a glass storage container. Tightly secure the lid and shake once more to be sure the ingredients are fully incorporated.
Recommended Reading: Sex On The Beach Shot Recipe
Other Delicious Uses For Greek Salad Dressing
The great thing about this dressing is that it serves so many amazing purposes!
- It is a super easy topper on a cold pasta salad!
- It makes an excellent marinade for beef, pork, chicken, and seafood.
- Try as a tangy dipping sauce on a veggie platter or for a creamy dip, add about 1/2 a cup to sour cream to 3 tablespoons of dressing.
- Or even toss with whipped mashed potatoes.
Did you know you can even toss it with popcorn? Sprinkle a little parmesan on top for a gourmet treat! Drizzle Greek dressing over roasted or sautéed veggies like these grilled brussels sprouts.
Don’t Miss: Is A Salad Diet Good For You
Greek Salad Tips And Variations:
- No lettuce: I know, I know, youre thinking a salad with no lettuce? But traditionally in Greece, their salads are served with no lettuce.
- Feta Cheese: The crumbles of cheese throughout the salad are a favorite of mine. However, if you are going for an authentic Greek presentation, place large chunks or blocks of feta cheese on the top of the salad instead.
- Serve with: In Greece you will find this salad served with bread. Also, I love the contrast of pairing this cool, fresh salad with a creamy warm soup. Something about the yin and yang of that is just so perfect!
- Storing: Eat it up quick because this salad will not last long in the refrigerator. Once prepared, the salad will last a maximum of 2 days, but you will probably experience sogginess. Instead, I suggest you store the ingredients separately from the lettuce and mix up individual serving sizes as needed.
- Optional Ingredients: Sometimes I love to just keep adding on to this delicious Greek salad. Capers, lemon or lime juice, shrimp or chicken, red onion , avocado . Really the options are limitless with this extremely versatile flavor base.
- How to store olives: Unopened your olives can be stored at room temperature up to 2 years. Opened olives need to be refrigerated in their own liquid in a non-metal container. When stored properly, they will last for 1 to 2 months after opening.
Easy Greek Salad Recipe:
I have always loved a Greek salad. The flavors are so amazing and it has always been one of my favorite salads.
There is just something so delicious and refreshing about the tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers and more blended with lots of olives and feta cheese. Yum!
The flavor of the Greek Salad simply cant be beat. However, one day I wanted to try something new and turned my traditional Greek Salad recipe into an Easy Creamy Greek Salad.
Also Check: What Does Eating Salad Do To Your Body
How Long Will This Dressing Last
This salad dressing will keep in the refrigerator for up to a week. As it sits it will separate so give it a good shake before using to bring back the creaminess again. A salad dressing container like this makes it easy to store, shake, and pour.
This Greek salad dressing is so good and so versatile you may want to make a double batch to have on hand.
What Is Greek Salad Dressing
Greek salad dressing is typically a basic vinaigrette of quality olive oil, red wine vinegar, and dried oregano. Sometimes fresh lemon juice is added. It is easy and fresh and lets the flavor of salad shine.
We ramped up the flavor profile of traditional Greek salad dressing by adding several other ingredients. This is a creamy version that tastes great on salad, pasta, steamed broccoli and other vegetables, or used as a dip. Sop this dressing up with a slice of sourdough bread. So good!
Read Also: Olive Garden Soup Salad And Breadsticks To Go
Favorite Ways To Use It:
Make it creamy: If you want to turn the dressing into a creamy greek dressing simply add 2-3 tbsp of plain geek yogurt.
Turn it into a dip: You can mix some of the dressing into sour cream to make a delicious dip. Add 3-4 tbsp dressing to ½ cup sour cream.
For more delicious dressings, try:
Greek Salad Is A Crowd Pleaser:
The pasta salad style is perfect for pot lucks, BBQs and more. If you need to bulk up a meal and feed a lot of people, this salad is the perfect idea. Throw in some pasta and you have a really delicious meal to feed a crowd.
We love that it is a light salad that can be served at many different functions.
You May Like: Can You Lose Weight Just Eating Salad
Creamy Greek Salad Dressing With Feta
This creamy greek salad dressing with feta cheese is the perfect match for an authentic greek salad. Ready in 10 minutes, take your salads to the next level with this delicious dressing weve developed here at Mediterranean Living.
In our house I am the condiment and dressing guy. I love topping vegetables with all kinds of flavorful creations. This creamy Greek feta dressing is my new go to favorite for a dip with vegetables or chips. I also love it on our Greek Chop Chop salad.
When most people think of feta cheese they think of Greek salad, but feta can be used to make dressings for salads as well. Feta cheese has been consumed for thousands of years in the Mediterranean and is a centerpiece of the Mediterranean Diet. In Ancient Greece it was believed that the god Aristaios, the son of Apollo, taught the Greek people cheese making and the cyclops Polyfimos was the first to make feta. Although the origins of feta cheese come from myths, there is no doubt that feta is Greek.
Making Homemade Greek Dressing
SPICES. In a large bowl add the olive oil, garlic powder, oregano, basil, pepper, salt, onion powder, and dry mustard. Whisk well.
VINEGAR. Add the vinegar and mix vigorously until well blended.
STORE in an airtight container at room temperature or in the fridge. The ingredients will settle so be sure to mix again before using.
- Use good quality olive oil.
- If you find that the dressing is too acidic add a bit of sugar or honey to it.
- If you want to use fresh herbs youll need 2-3 times the amount listed for dried herbs.
Don’t Miss: Nature’s Source Salad Topper
How To Make Greek Salad
The salad is made up of romaine, tomatoes, thinly sliced seedless cucumbers, sliced banana peppers, croutons, olives, feta cheese, and homemade Creamy Greek dressing.
The dressing is very easy to make with mayonnaise, milk, red wine vinegar, Greek seasoning, garlic, salt, and pepper. You can whip up the creamy Greek dressing ahead of time and refrigerate it until you are ready to toss the salad. I usually make the dressing a day or two in advance and let it hang out in the refrigerator.
I used some Cavenders All Purpose Greek Seasoning for the seasoning in the dressing. It is readily available at Walmart, Target, and the grocery store. You can also find it at . I suggest buying the salt-free seasoning so you can have more control over the saltiness of the dressing.
Ways To Enjoy Greek Dressing
This recipe is perfect on a salad to accompany just about any type of meal.
Or you can top your salad with some protein to make it a meal in and of itself!
It’s a wonderful dressing to stir into a pasta salad…particularly Greek Pasta Salad.
This Greek dressing also makes a mean for chicken or flank steak or shrimp.
So are you a fan of Mediterranean cuisine?
Do you adore a good Greek salad?
Either way, I’ve got your back with this tangy, tasty Greek Salad Dressing recipe!
I hope you’ll add it to your homemade dressing regular rotation as I’ve added it to mine.
Don’t Miss: Acacia Wood Salad Bowl Set
Easy Macaroni Salad Recipe
Delicious creamy macaroni salad with classic homestyle flavors including mayonnaise, boiled eggs, peppers, onions, peas, and tons of cheese!
This side dish is always the hit of our cookouts and BBQs, is great made in advance and chilled, and served with potluck favorites.
Here at Sweet Cs, we have lots of types of readers those who like to get straight to the recipe, and those who would like more information, including tips and tricks to feeling more comfortable in the kitchen.
We provide a skip to recipe button in the top left corner, as well as a clickable table of contents, just below, to help make this page easier to navigate.
Ingredients For Our Homemade Creamy Greek Salad Dressing
This creamy dressing is chock full of fresh ingredients. It is thicker than our recipe for authentic Greek salad dressing and it coats your vegetables with a ton of flavor. Here is what you will need:
- Bell peppers.
- Dried Greek oregano.
- Olive oil.
The feta cheese gives this dressing most of the creamy texture and an incredible flavor. Olive oil also makes the dressing creamy. If you add the olive oil at the end and drizzle it into the blender slowly, it will emulsify and give the dressing an extra creamy texture.
Read Also: What Is In Olive Garden Salad
What Is Creamy Greek Salad Dressing Made Of
The creaminess is just out of this world and so good! If you love Greek salad, this creamy version is a must try. Now, dont get me wrong, I still love the traditional style as well but this new creamy style Greek salad is just SO good.
The combination of the Greek Yogurt, Lime Juice, dried oregano and minced garlic gives it that creamy texture without a lot of calories.
How To Lighten This Dressing Up Even More
There are a few ways you can make this dressing even lighter is you like, but it will change the consistency and flavor since olive oil is a big part of any classic Greek salad dressing.
- Replace some or all of the olive oil with chicken or vegetable broth for an oil free option.
- Replace the oil with Greek or plain yogurt for a creamy version of the dressing.
- Simply make the dressing without the oil. Many people love topping their salads with just lemon juice or vinegar.
Recommended Reading: Macy’s Salad Bowl Set
Homemade Vegan Greek Salad Dressing Ingredients
Extra Virgin Olive Oil: use good quality cold pressed extra virgin olive oil for the best flavor. You can also use light olive oil, if you prefer mellower, milder tasting oil.
Lemon Juice: to add zestiness to the dressing.
Fresh Garlic: the recipe calls for 2 whole cloves but if youre not a fan of raw garlic, you can reduce the amount to 1 clove or skip it all together.
Wine Vinegar : red wine vinegar is more typical of Greek cuisine but white wine vinegar will work just as well.
Dijon Mustard: for a bright and tangy flavor.
Dried Oregano: a key ingredient that gives this vinaigrette its Greek character.
Salt & Pepper: to balance out the flavors.
How To Make This Greek Salad Dressing:
This salad dressing is a combination of a few basic everyday ingredients. Olive oil, red wine, fresh veggies, dried Greek oregano and feta cheese.
Using a blender or food processor makes this Greek salad dressing super easy and ready in just five minutes. All the ingredients go into the blender or food processor at once. Just whizz them together until it is a thick creamy dressing.
To make a creamy Greek salad dressing, add all the ingredients except oil to a blender. With the blender running on high speed, slowly pour the oil into blender until mixture is creamy.
Don’t Miss: Can Eating Salad Cause Diarrhea
Homemade Greek Salad Dressing
Every salad needs a good dressing and I think you all will really love this one! Greek salad dressings are typically made using a mixture of olive oil, red wine vinegar, garlic, Dijon mustard and oregano, but I also added in some fresh lemon juice and basil to really brighten up those flavors. Simple, delicious and one I think you should always have on hand in the fridge!
To make this dressing, simply whisk together all the ingredients in a bowl or mason jarand thats it! Then just store the dressing in a sealed airtight container in the fridge until you are ready to use. This dressing will last up to 5 days in the fridge, but definitely tastes best as fresh as possible. I also like to make my dressing a few hours ahead of time before serving so that those flavors can really marinate!
Homemade Dressing With Mediterranean Flare
Simple ingredients combine for a fresh and easy tasty dressing. The Mediterranean flare comes from extra-virgin olive oil a must-have for authentic Greek dressing. The red wine vinegar gives it a bit of tang, and the spices bring home the flavor!
If we consider the essential ingredients of Greek vinaigrette here, you can see exactly what makes Greek vinaigrette so delicious: fat in the form of olive oil, flavor from the garlic and dried oregano, plus the acidy of red wine vinegar.
It is the perfect house dressing for all of your flavor needs. Try pairing it with pasta and let the flavor soak in, or top those leafy greens and add some olives and feta for a quick and tasty side.
You May Like: Low Calorie Salad Recipes Weight Loss
How To Make Macaroni Salad
To make this recipe, you will need:
- 8 oz macaroni noodles
- 2 large hard boiled eggs, finely diced
Macaroni Salad Dressing
- ¼ cup sour cream or Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon pickle juice from gherkins
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
To make this classic pasta salad, we will use the following method:
- In a large pot with well-salted water, oil macaroni to al dente so it has a bit of bite to it. Drain and let cool until it is no longer steaming.
- Chop and dice gherkins, bell peppers, onion, and celery and add to drained, slightly cooled pasta in a large bowl. Stir in frozen peas to cool pasta.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, dijon, pickle juice, sugar, red wine vinegar, salt, pepper, garlic powder, sour cream or yogurt until well blended.
- When pasta has cooled after being mixed with peas, toss in dressing. Chop and stir in boiled eggs at the very end.
- Wrap bowl tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate to cool for at least 30 minutes.
- When serving, it is very important to keep this salad from getting hot it must remain cool to prevent food-borne illness with the egg and mayonnaise. Keep your boil packed in ice in a shady spot if youre bringing to a BBQ or cookout until serving.