How To Eat Tuna Salad
One of my favorite things about tuna salad is how versatile it is!
- Eat as is its definitely a complete meal on its own.
- Over a bed of greens I am a volume eater so I love starting with a base of greens and topping it with this salad.
- Lettuce cups scoop into a lettuce leaf for a crunchy and fresh wrap. Romaine, butter or iceberg lettuce works great for this.
- In a wrap scoop into a whole grain wrap and add some greens for a little extra crunch and you have a satisfying wrap!
- On toast/as a sandwich I love this as both an open faced sandwich on toasted bread or a more traditional sandwich with un-toasted bread. You can also use this salad to make a delicious tuna melt!
- With crackers or tortilla chips This is a great snack or appetizer when eaten like a dip with crackers or chips. Ive been loving it paired with my almond flour crackers.
Toast The Bread And Make Your Sandwich
Lastly, toast up the rye bread slices. We are big fans of seeded rye bread for use with our tuna salad sandwiches, but feel free to substitute other types of bread, such as sourdough or whole wheat. Once the bread is toasted, scoop the prepared tuna salad onto the slices, assemble into a sandwich, and enjoy.
Ingredients In Tuna Salad
- canned tuna I typically buy Albacore tuna because you get bigger chunks of meat that arent mushy. I really like the Wild Planet brand!
- plain Greek yogurt I like using full-fat, but you can use fat-free if youd like. It will be more tangy though!
- a little mayonnaise I added in 1 Tablespoon of mayo for a bit of creaminess, but you can skip this or use more Greek yogurt if youd like
- chopped celery
- sea salt and pepper
Recommended Reading: Hidden Valley Ranch Salad Dressing Nutrition Facts
How Long Does Tuna Salad Last In The Fridge
Tuna salad can be stored in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to a week. And of course, sandwiches are just one of many dishes you can make with tuna salad. Mix in some macaroni for an easy pasta salad side dish, or pack it into avocado halves or scooped-out tomatoes for a gluten-free lunch. A few spoonfuls of tuna salad with crackers is also one of my favorite afternoon snacks.
Try Adding Pasta Or Croutons
Just like the previous method. If you want to add stuff to your salad to level up the wetness. You can add cooked pasta and even fried croutons to your salad.
Pasta can be a great source of carbs for your salad. Adding pasta to salads is very common. Pasta will help soak up the moisture. Make it even for balancing out the salad water.
First, you have to boil the pasta. See the pastas packet for instructions on how to boil the pasta. Leftover pasta will also do the same.
Heres a tip. Try to use cold pasta instead of hot boiled ones. As tuna salad is made at normal temperature.
Salads sometimes are refrigerated. So adding cold pasta will help your Tuna salad not get ruined further.
As for the croutons. They are fried bread cut into small bite sizes. They are really easy to make. Just like pasta, its great for absorbing extra water from your salad.
Recommended Reading: Taco Salad With Catalina Dressing
Helpful Tips For The Best Sandwich
- Be sure to drain tuna well otherwise the tuna salad will be watery and the sandwiches will end up soggy.
- Use a canned tuna that is more firm, chunky and flakey rather than one thats mushy and in tiny bits. It varies by brand.
- Opt for a hearty somewhat dense bread that will hold up well to plenty of fillings. Very soft and fluffy sandwich bread wont work very well here.
- Monitor the tuna melts as they cook. Every pan cooks and browns a bit different depending on burner size, temp, thickness of pan, etc. You want it to become golden brown not dark brown by the time the cheese has melted and filling is warmed through. Reduce burner temperature as needed or increase a little if needed.
What Is A Tuna Melt
A tuna melt is similar to a classic hot grilled cheese sandwich but with the addition of tuna salad included.
Its layered with a tuna filling made from canned tuna, along with shredded or sliced cheddar cheese, optional tomatoes and its all sandwiched between fresh bread slices that are slathered in butter. From there the sandwich is pan fried until cheese is melty, the filling has warmed and the bread has taken on a gorgeous golden brown, crisp exterior.
It makes one of the best lunches or a quick and satisfying dinner. And youll love that its made with simple ingredients, most of which you likely already have on hand.
Serve it with fresh fruit or vegetables and crisp, salty potato chips for the perfect finish.
You May Like: Chicken Salad Chick Concord Nc
How To Make Egg Salad
Step 1: Hard Boil the Eggs and Let them Cool
Remember to plan ahead to hard boil your eggs and allow time for them to cool. Once the eggs are cooked and cooled youre good to mix everything together.
Step 2: Mix Your Ingredients Together
Slice your eggs into pieces and add them to a mixing bowl along with the mayonnaise , Dijon mustard, finely diced red onion, lemon juice, parsley and chives. Give it all a stir and youre done.
Dont Miss: Homemade Salad Dressing With Mayo
Ingredients To Make Tuna Salad
- Tuna: I like to use white albacore as it has a great chunky and firm texture that doesnt disappear when you mix it with the other ingredients
- Celery: Celery adds a wonderful crunchy texture as well as a hit of freshness.
- Red onions: I prefer to use red onion in salads as it is much milder than white. Mince it finely so that its not overpowering.
- Greek yogurt: I use Greek yogurt rather than mayonnaise, to make this wonderfully creamy. Greek yogurt is also a great source of protein and probiotics.
- Lemon juice: Use freshly squeezed lemon juice for a wonderful zingy taste that cuts through the yogurt.
- Dijon mustard: Mustard adds some tang and spice and works so well with the other ingredients.
- Salt and pepper: To help bring out all of the other flavors.
- Parsley: Fresh parsley really lifts this dish and makes it light and fresh tasting. You can use other fresh herbs like cilantro or dill.
Read Also: Used Salad Bar For Sale
Recipe Tips And Variations
- Yield: This recipe makes about 4 cups of tuna salad, enough for 6 sandwiches .
- Storage: Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- Mayo-free: Instead of mayonnaise, try making the dressing with plain yogurt or whipped silken tofu. You can also add lemon vinaigrette .
- More mix-ins: Add a small amount of diced apple , a handful of thawed peas, or a couple of chopped hard-boiled eggs to your tuna salad.
- Lettuce wraps: Tuna salad is delicious wrapped in lettuce leaves or piled on a bed of lettuce.
- Tuna pasta salad: Make a tasty tuna pasta salad by adding cooked macaroni, rotini, or your other favorite small pasta.
- Stuffed tomatoes: Hollow out juicy tomatoes and fill with tuna salad for an old-fashioned, and super-delicious, lunch entrée.
- Ahi Tuna Salad: Is the Ahi tuna looking fabulous at the fish market, or have you got an extra bit of ahi tuna from last nights dinner? Splurge and make tuna salad with it. Cook it through, then flake it up in this recipe.
This easy Curried Chicken Salad makes the perfect sandwich, wrap, or low-carb lunch on a big bed of greens. This delicious, flavorful recipe uses almonds and fresh grapes, for just the right balance of crunch
How Do You Meal Prep This Recipe
There are two main ways to meal prep this recipe:
Also Check: A Salad A Day Weight Loss
What Kind Of Tuna To Use
Tuna can be a wonderful, low-cost protein option. It is also nutrient-rich, containing essential vitamins, minerals, and omega-3 fatty acids. There are a couple kinds of tuna out there, like white albacore and chunk light. Some are packed in olive oil, while others are packed in water.
I try to use wild-caught Yellowfin or Albacore tuna as much as possible. And if youre concerned about the fat content, your best bet will be tuna packed in water instead of olive oil. Ive used both in the past, but I now prefer to use tuna packed in water and then add my own extra virgin olive oil so I can control the flavor and the amount used.Mercury levels in tuna can be a health concern, which is why my family eats it no more than once every two weeks.
Keep Salt For The Last
Tuna salad will taste bland without any vegetables and salt. But one of the common mistakes that you can make is mixing the salad beforehand.
Think of it as a rule to make any salad that is, never mix beforehand with salt in it.
Once you cut all the ingredients, keep them separately in bowls. Also, make sure to not add salt to it right away.
Salt tends to drain water from vegetables. Which ultimately results in a watery salad.
Mixing and adding salt to your tuna salad can drain water from your meat and vegetables. As this procedure takes time, you may notice fluid in the salad after a while.
It is best to mix salad right before serving. Then you can have your tuna salad just the way you like it.
Also Check: What Is A Good Keto Salad Dressing
More Easy Fish Dinners
- This lemon butter salmon with potatoes and asparagus is another popular recipe on the blog. If asparagus is out of season, just substitute with broccoli!
- Fan of Mediterranean flavors? You have to try this Greek baked fish!
- You only need potato, fish and a few fresh yummy flavors to make these crispy salmon fish cakes. Delicious!
- Last but definitely not least, try this crowd pleasing lemony tuna spaghetti recipe.
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, LET ME KNOW HOW YOU GET ON BELOW AND DONT FORGET TO SIGN UP TO RECEIVE ALL MY NEW RECIPES BY EMAIL!
More Main Meal Salads
- This quinoa salad with crispy chickpeas is insanely delicious to say that its made with very simple ingredients
- This pumpkin, chorizo and feta salad is full of umami flavour, and suitable for a quick and easy main meal any time of year.
- This delicious blueberry spinach salad will blow you away. A perfect light meal or lunch when youre in the mood for something a little different.
You May Like: California Pizza Kitchen Bbq Chicken Salad
What Can I Use In Place Of Mayonnaise In Tuna Salad
While mayonnaise is almost always linked with tuna salad, it has no special powers that make it the only option for tuna salad magic. Mayonnaise is used to smooth out the tuna salad and bind the ingredients together, but these alternatives work just as well:
As you can see, the options are almost endless.
Tuna Salad: A Simple Pleasure
I have memories as a child sitting atop Mt. Chocorua in New Hampshire with my camp friends after a days climb. Lunch was always oranges and tuna or peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. And for dessert? Well, lets just say a Hershey bar never tasted so good!
And now, in these times, that sandwich brings just as much pleasure . Spare me the bells and whistles Ill get to them in a minute.
Right now, a classic tuna salad sandwich is all Im after. That means canned tuna, mayo, celery, lemon juice, and if you like, red onion. Period. Slather it on some good bread and Im that happy camper again. In fact, Im taking my sandwich out to the back porch to eat in the sunshine.
Recommended Reading: Salad Dressing Container To Go
What Kind Of Tuna To Use In Tuna Salad
The best kind of tuna for tuna salad is tuna packed in water, not oil. You dont want extra oil in your tuna salad.
Look for cans of wild tuna that are labeled, pole and line caught to be sure that other species werent harmed when the tuna was caught. My favorite tuna is Whole Foods 365 Everyday Value brand Skipjack Wild Tuna in water, which is labeled as pole and line caught one at a time. Not only is this tuna responsibly caught, the tuna tastes like its higher quality and it seems like you get more tuna per 5 ounce can than other brands. I also love that the only ingredients are skipjack tuna and water.
A Healthier Tuna Salad
A lot people who are on a weight loss diet will turn to tuna because of its high level of protein 3 oz of albacore tuna has 20g of protein but only about 100 calories. However, if youre eating tuna as a traditional tuna salad with mayonnaise, you may be consuming unnecessary calories and fat. 1 cup of mayo has more than 1400 calories and 24g of fat.
This healthy tuna salad is full of flavor, light on calories and super easy to whip for lunch any day of the week! Swap the mayo for greek yogurt and dijon mustard and save those calories for a treat later.
Also Check: Melissa & Doug Slice & Toss Salad Set
Why I Love Healthy Tuna Salad Recipe
Just before Marc and I went to Thailand, we took the train to Almaty. It was a long ride. We needed food, but I wanted to be careful not to bring anything that would spoil.
This no mayo tuna salad was the perfect option protein to keep us full and an oil-based dressing to bring the flavor. Plus, it stayed pretty cold in a our makeshift cooler . Were so classy when we take the train.
There really isnt much else to say about this. Its just healthy tuna salad without mayo, which is very similar to my chicken salad without mayo, and its just as delicious.
More tuna recipes:tuna cakes
Add The Remaining Salad Ingredients And Stir Well
Then, add the diced celery and red onion into the bowl. If you like a chunky-textured tuna salad, like us, keep the veggies in a standard dice size. If you want a more uniform consistency, you can dice your celery and onion even more finely.
Finally, add the salt and lemon pepper before stirring the tuna salad well. We feel that lemon pepper is one of the most underused seasonings out there it adds a little brightness and zest to this tuna salad recipe.
Read Also: Salad Dressings That Are Keto Friendly
More About How To Cook Tuna For Tuna Salad Recipes
BEST TUNA SALAD RECIPE EASY & AMP HEALTHY DOWNSHIFTOLOGY
- Drain the liquid from the tuna cans. Then, add the tuna, mayonnaise, diced celery, diced red onion, herbs, Dijon mustard, salt and pepper to a mixing bowl.
HOW TO MAKE TUNA SALAD RECIPE MELANIE COOKS
FromEstimated Reading Time
MEAL PREP 101: 4 TUNA SALAD RECIPES YOU SHOULD KNOW HOW TO
FromEstimated Reading Time
HOW TO COOK TUNA: 6 WAYS TO COOK FRESH TUNA, PLUS 10
FromEstimated Reading Time
HOW TO MAKE TUNA SALAD: 6 TUNA SALAD RECIPES | RECIPELION.COM
FromEstimated Reading Time
HOW TO MAKE HEALTHY TUNA SALAD RECIPE KITCHEN DIVAS
HOT TUNA SALAD RECIPE CLEVERLY SIMPLE
- Combine all ingredients reserving 4 saltine crackers for the topping. Add to 1.5 quart casserole dish.
- Top with remaining crushed saltines. Bake at 425 F for 25 minutes or until bubbly. Serve warm.
HOW TO MAKE TUNA SALAD | SAFE CATCH
FromEstimated Reading Time
SIMPLE TUNA SALAD RECIPE | HOW TO
MOMS BEST TUNA SALAD MUY BUENO COOKBOOK
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST TUNA SALAD NICOISE [EASY SALAD RECIPE
SEARED SESAME CRUSTED AHI TUNA SALAD RECIPE | A SPICY
HOW TO MAKE TUNA SALAD|EASY TUNA & AMP PASTA RECIPE
Easy Tuna Salad Recipe
This easy tuna salad recipe makes the best tuna sandwiches! This classic tuna salad is the perfect recipe to make ahead for quick lunches.
When youre craving a tuna sandwich, you need a simple tuna salad recipe that will give you a crave-worthy tuna fish sandwich. This easy tuna salad is made with just a handful of ingredients. Its the best tuna salad!
This tuna salad is quick and easy to make, and it keeps well in the refrigerator for a few days. You can make it ahead and have a healthy, satisfying lunch ready to go. Use this tuna salad to make a classic tuna salad sandwich, served on a croissant, roll or bread. Its also delicious on crackers! For a low carb meal, serve your tuna salad wrapped in lettuce leaves or on a bed of greens as a salad.
If you like this tuna sandwich recipe, youre going to love my healthy chicken salad recipe and my easy recipe for classic egg salad. These are the three recipes that I rotate between when I make sandwiches for lunch on the weekend. If you asked me to choose a favorite between these three easy sandwich recipes, I couldnt. Theyre all so good!
I use plain Greek yogurt in my tuna salad recipe. You can use mayonnaise instead, if you prefer. I like to make tuna salad without mayo, using Greek yogurt, because it makes a healthy tuna salad. You can also use mashed avocado to make a dairy-free tuna sandwich without mayo!
Also Check: Outback Blue Cheese Pecan Chopped Salad