How To Make Egg Salad
There are only a few simple steps to make the best egg salad. You can find the full recipe with ingredient amounts and instructions in the recipe card below.
Making Egg Salad Ahead Of Time
Egg salad is perfect for a quick, healthy breakfast or lunch. I love adding it to a slice of toasted multi-grain bread or spooning it over salad greens. Egg salad is best eaten within 2 days of making it. We recommend using food-safe glass containers to store egg salad.
You can make hard boiled eggs and store them in the refrigerator up to a week. Once you have made hard boiled eggs, remove them from the water and plunge into cold water to stop them from cooking. Then remove the eggs from the cold water and pat dry. Store the unpeeled eggs in your refrigerator up to one week.
Recipe updated, originally posted June 2013. Since posting this in 2013, we have tweaked the recipe to be more clear. Adam and Joanne
How To Make Egg Salad A Delicious Classic Egg Salad Recipe Using 6 Eggs
We love egg salad! We love just about anything that has to do with eggs in general. Eggs are delicious and a powerhouse of nutrients. Whats not to love about them?
First thing you need to do when making egg salad is choose the healthiest eggsyou can find. Remember, all eggs are not created equal.
Once you have found the best possible eggs, cook those eggs to perfection. Read more on how to boil eggs. For egg salad, you want about 10 minutes in boiling water until the yolk are firm.
Cooking the Eggs Simply place your 6 eggs in a pan with tap water, make sure the eggs can lay on the bottom of the pan in a single layer. Fill the pan with water until it just covers the eggs. About 1 or 2 inches above the eggs is fine. Bring the water to a boil. Once the water starts to boil, reduce the heat to a low simmer and start your timer for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, carefully drain all of the hot water and then cover the eggs with cold water. Let this sit for a few minutes or until eggs are cool enough to peel.
Peel the eggs and place in a medium bowl. Start by gently pressing on the eggs with a fork. Keep working at it until the eggs are crumbled.
Once most of the eggs are crumbled, add the celery. Sprinkle the mixture lightly with salt and pepper. You want to salt and pepper the eggs before you add the dressing. Gently mix through the mayonnaise dressing and taste to see if it needs more salt or pepper.
Also Check: Does Taco Bell Have Taco Salad
What Else Can I Add To My Egg Salad
Egg salad is such a great simple base to add in any extra flavors your heart desires. Try some of these ideas:
- Horseradish will give a little extra kick. Start off with just a small amount, about a teaspoon, and add more to taste.
- Bacon makes everything better, including egg salad.
- Red pepper flakes will give it some spice. Also consider a few dashes of Tabasco or your favorite hot sauce.
- Avocado for some fresh creaminess and healthy fats.
- Fresh herbs for some zesty crisp flavor. Try adding a little freshly chopped dill, chives, or parsley.
Set Up Your Flavor Profile
Weve got everything you need to up your kitchen game – plus, special offers and discounts just for you!
Are you out of McCormick ?
Set up your Flavor Profile or to:
- Add this spice to “My Spices”
- Create a more personalized experience
- Manage your spices in Flavor Profile
Sign up to save your favorite flavors.
DON’T HAVE AN ACCOUNT?
Already have an account?
Already have an account?
Because we are constantly improving our products, we encourage you to read the ingredient statement on our packages at the time of your purchase.
Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone, and iPad are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries and regions. App Store is a service mark of Apple Inc. Google Play and the Google Play logo are trademarks of Google LLC.
You May Like: Basic Potato Salad Recipe With Egg
What I Love About This Recipe:
- You only need five ingredients! And you probably already have them at home! Eggs, garlic, mayonnaise, dill, and salt.
- I always say eggs are a perfect food. Thats because eggs arent high in calories, but are a rich source of protein and Vitamin D. And this recipe has got lots of nutrients.
- It stays fresh in the fridge for days! I love making a big batch of egg salad so I can enjoy it for the next week. And having it in the fridge makes it accessible for everyone in the house. They can make a sandwich whenever they please!
This egg salad is anything but boring. Its packed with delicious flavor. And if youre looking to add more kick to it, sprinkle in some smoked paprika. Yum!
A simple egg salad can be enjoyed on a a slice of bread or on crackers. It makes a great protein snack or a even a lunch meal. I am always looking for simple and quick high in protein dishes. So if you have one, let me know.
Eggs are the perfect food when you need some protein in your diet. They are not overloaded with calories, contain 6 grams of protein, and less than one carb! Studies also point to that one egg a day can lead to healthy food choices later in the day. Eggs are a source of vitamin D which is essential for protecting bones.
Best Egg Salad Variations
As I mentioned above, my go-to egg salad has a ton of sliced green olives in it. Other favorite veggies Ive seen added are finely chopped onion and celery, which add flavor and crunch. Chopped pickles or relish seem to be popular in egg salad too, but be careful to drain them well so they dont add too much moisture. I always use yellow mustard in my egg salad, but Dijon would add even more flavor. If you like things a little spicy, a dash of hot sauce can give it a real kick too. Once you master a basic recipe like this, it becomes a template for you to build on with anything you can think of.
Read Also: Easy Red Potato Salad Recipe
How To Make Egg Salad Sandwiches
The key to making a simple egg salad sandwich truly phenomenal is to hard-boil the eggs just right. Place the eggs in a pot and cover with water. Then, bring to a boil over high heat.
Remove from heat, cover with id and let sit for 10 minutes. Then, cool with cold water and ice cubes for 5 minutes. For best results, crack and peel eggs under cold running water. Et voila, youve made perfect hard-boiled eggs!
From there, its as easy as mashing together the remaining ingredients and dolloping onto your bread of choice.
Always Cook Eggs At A High Temperature
Over the years, Ive learned my lesson to use a hot start and not a cold start for soft or hard boiling eggs. For easy-to-peel eggs, the moment they hit the hot water, it should make the proteins in the egg whites quickly bond together, but not to the membrane between the shell. The membrane causes pits and difficulty peeling eggs when cooked incorrectly.
Pin this recipe to save for later
Also Check: What Goes On A Cobb Salad
How To Boil Eggs Perfectly
Ask anyone how they hard boil eggs and each will have their favorite tip or trick. For me, its very simple. Put the eggs in a saucepan, cover with water, at least 1-2 inches above, and heat on high until boiling. Turn off the heat, cover and in 10-12 minutes you will have perfectly cooked eggs.
Some say adding vinegar to the water will help the whites not to run if the eggs crack. Others swear baking soda in the water will help them to peel easier.
I will tell you I have always found older eggs peel easier than fresh ones. Apparently this is because the egg white shrinks, leaving more space between the white and the shell. I always try to chose eggs that are 1-2 weeks old when boiling them. I will even buy them ahead of time if I know I will be making deviled eggs.
Tools Used To Make This Egg Salad:
- Egg, Mushroom, Strawberry Slicer This is most similar to the slicer I use for hardboiled eggs. Its also great for mushrooms and strawberries. For eggs, I push the egg through a second time to slice it into smaller pieces. This egg slicer can also cut the egg into wedges.
- Stainless Steel Measuring Cups I love these measuring cups! Theyre sturdy, pretty and it has every size measuring cup and spoon! I cant stand sets that dont come with 2/3 and 3/4 cups.
Read Also: Market Salad At Chick Fil A
Avocado And Eggs Salad Recipe
Learn how to make the avocado and eggs salad! This delicious salad is healthy, low carb, KETO and high protein, perfect salad for weight loss or just a side dish for your favorite meal.
Full written and printable recipe: https://www.thecookingfoodie.com/recipe/Avocado-and-Eggs-Salad-Recipe
Visit my online shop: https://bit.ly/TCFShop and browse my baking supplies and kitchen tools for all of your baking needs.*Every purchase you make supports my content creation.
More Salad recipes:Healthy Avocado and Tuna Salad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUl2-L4gYsUGreek Salad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7rU-1-s7NMHealthy Cauliflower Salad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fgpTGGMLm4
FOLLOW ME:The Cooking Foodie Shop: https://shop.thecookingfoodie.com/Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/thecookingfoodie/
2 tablespoons Mayonnaise, low fatSalt to tastePepper to taste
Directions:1. In a saucepan place egg, cover with water and bring to a boil. Boil for 10 minutes. Transfer to a cold water and allow to cool. Meanwhile prepare the rest of the salad.2. Cut avocado into small cubes/chunks and place in a large bowl, add cherry tomatoes, chopped celery stalk, chopped red onion, chives.3. Peel and chop the eggs.4. Add chopped eggs to the salad, then add lemon juice, mayonnaise, salt and pepper. Stir until well combined.5. Serve!
If you like my videos, please subscribe to my channel for new cooking videos: https://www.youtube.com/c/thecookingfoodie?sub_confirmation=1
The Best Dressing For Egg Salad
The dressing in any salad can really make or break a recipe. This awesome creamy dressing adds so much flavor to the simple salad. Eggs never tasted so good!
- In a bowl, add the mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, paprika, garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Mix until the dressing is creamy and ingredients are well incorporated.
Don’t Miss: Oxo Salad Chopper And Bowl
How To Cook Eggs For Egg Salad
No matter if you boil your eggs on the stove or in the instant pot, be sure they are hard-boiled, but not overcooked. Overcooked eggs end up with a green ring around the yolk. Follow these tutorials for perfect hard-boiled eggs every time:
- Perfect Boiled Eggs follow this stove-top method and boil for at least 7 minutes. Fully cooked yolks are best for salad.
- Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs works especially well for farm-fresh eggs, making them easier to peel.
Easy Egg Salad Sandwich
This Egg Salad Sandwich is made with a handful of simple inexpensive ingredients and is so easy to make! Use up your hard boiled Easter eggs for lunch in this sandwich!
Crack open those colored hard boiled eggs and make an Egg Salad Sandwich! This is definitely a spring time favorite in our home! For more spring time recipes, check out Rhubarb Pie, Quick and Easy Steamed Asparagus, and Creamy Lemon Asparagus Pasta.
Read Also: Healthy Low Calorie Salad Dressing
Quick Tips To The Best Egg Salad
- Use old eggs. Did you know that older eggs peel more easily? If youre planning to make egg salad, consider purchasing your eggs a week early. Theyll keep in the fridge.
- Make em for a crowd. Egg Salad Sandwiches are perfect for play dates, bridal or baby showers and more because they are hand held, relatively mess-free and utterly delicious.
- How to store: Keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up for 4 days.
- Make your egg salad sandwich with the toppings you love, whether thats romaine, red onions, tomatoes or anything else.
- Swap out the ingredients to your pantry and tastebuds. If you dont love mayonnaise, use Greek yogurt instead. Dont have yogurt? You can use all mayo!
How Long Will Egg Salad Last
Egg salad with last for several days when stored in an air-tight container in the refrigerator. However, we suggest making only as much as you will eat over a day or two.
This recipe originally appeared on A Family Feast in May 2013.
You may enjoy these other egg recipes:
- 6 whole eggs in shell, brought to room temperature
- 4 quarts of water
You May Like: Bumble Bee Chicken Salad Recipe
How Healthy Is Egg Salad
Egg salad is a healthy meal option. Eggs are an inexpensive, high protein food. They are nutrient-dense and fill you up so you wont be hungry again right away.
You can use either plain Greek yogurt or mayonnaise in this recipe. Greek yogurt is a healthier option and I bet you wont taste the difference. You can use mayonnaise if you prefer.
You might also like my healthy deviled eggs. If you find yourself with extra hard boiled eggs, theyre great to make for quick snacks.
Hard Boiled Eggs 3 Different Ways:
Stovetop: This is favorite method. Simply place eggs in a pot and cover them with cold water . Then turn the heat on high and cook them until they boil. Cover them and take them off the heat. Let them sit for 12 minutes in the hot water.
Instant pot: To make hard boiled eggs in the instant pot, add one cup of water to the pot. Add the wire rack insert, and lay your eggs on top of it. Cook the eggs on high pressure for 5 minutes, with a 5 minute natural release. Remove the eggs and place them in an ice water bath for 5 minutes.
Oven: Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Place each egg in the cup of a standard muffin tin. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove the eggs and place them in an ice water bath for 10 minutes.
Recommended Reading: Store Bought Vegan Salad Dressing
Why I Love This Recipe:
This simple egg salad recipe reminds me of my childhood because its comforting and strikes the perfect balance. Its creamy, luscious and has a hint of sweetness.
While this isnt a classic egg salad recipe because it doesnt involve all mayonnaise, some dijon mustard or even some fresh dill, but goodness gracious, is it a fun twist.
This recipe is beyond simple and absolutely delicious.
Looking for more easy recipe ideas? Check out my Dinner Recipe Index for more ideas.
Summer Egg Salad With Basil & Peas
Drizzle seasonal greens, new potatoes and eggs with a tangy, herby dressing to make this healthy vegetarian lunch or dinner, packed with iron, folate and fibre
A vegetarian Niçoise salad, that’s packed with goodness – fibre, folate, iron, vitamin c and gluten-free too
Great for a summer lunch, picnic or barbeque – takes no time at all.
Also Check: Can You Freeze Chicken Salad
Ingredients For Egg Salad
Though this is a simple recipe and uses basic ingredients, it tastes amazing. If you want to dress it up and make it fancier, try these add-ins:
- Protein- such as crispy bacon, chicken or shrimp.
- Veggies- tomatoes, cucumbers or carrots are great options. We also love dill pickle egg salad.
- Avocado- can either be cubed and added to the salad or blended with the dressing to replace some of the mayo.
Pro Tip: If you will be adding other ingredients to the salad, prepare a larger portion of the dressing.
Three Ways To Hard Boil Eggs
The salad base is primarily hard-boiled eggs, so its best to make them just right. To achieve sufficiently cooked, creamy yellow yolks and tender egg whites, I have three methods that you can try.
My stovetop eggs use the boiling method or the steaming method. Otherwise, my Instant Pot eggs are great if you want to pressure cook them. This recipe uses the boiling technique that I explain more below, but theyll yield perfect hard-boiled eggs no matter what method you prefer.
You May Like: Soup And Salad Diet For A Week
How To Make Egg Salad Sandwich
Toast slices of bread. We like to use our regular ol sandwich bread, but you can use a fancier bread if you want!
Slather on the egg salad. Dont skimp on this!
Add your favorite toppings. We love lettuce, as shown in these photos, but you can add whatever makes you happy. Consider adding tomatoes, red onion, green onion, another leafy green and more.
And then enjoy!
How To Make The Best Egg Salad
You will need hard boiled eggs for this egg salad. For 1 cup of salad, you will need 4 hard boiled eggs. You can buy hard boiled eggs at some grocery stores, but they are really easy to do at home. We shared our no-fail method for cooking hard boiled eggs a while ago and more recently have shared how to cook them using a pressure cooker .
Once you have hard boiled eggs, this egg salad only takes 5 minutes to make. We add the following ingredients:
- Mayonnaise for moisture. For a mayo-free version, try adding natural or Greek yogurt or swap some or all of the mayonnaise for mashed avocado like we do in our avocado egg salad. When we have it on hand, we love using homemade mayonnaise, heres our easy recipe.
- Celery for crunch. We love a little crunch in our egg salad, but have also added chopped onions and sometimes, dill pickles. We use the same crunchy ingredients when making tuna salad.
- Fresh herbs for flavor. My personal favorite is fresh chives, but parsley and tarragon are also delicious options.
- Fresh lemon juice for pop. A squeeze of fresh lemon adds such a lovely pop of flavor. It also cuts through the richness of the egg and mayonnaise.
- Salt and ground pepper to taste. A pinch of salt and pepper goes a long way when it comes to making the egg salad taste good.
You May Like: Red And White Salad Plates