How To Make Caesar Salad
Now, I know caesar dressing can be a bit controversial. Theres so many stances you can take on the subject creamy vs. non-creamy, anchovies or not, and is there seriously supposed to be raw egg in this.
Im actually onboard with all of them . But, I have to say, a caesar vinaigrette with anchovies is by far my favorite.
And, its so easy to make. The secret is anchovy paste. Ok, its not actually a secret, but its quite a time saver and gives you the flavor youre looking for from the anchovies without having to actually chop up those squishy little filets.
This recipe makes enough for 1 really big salad or two average sized ones.
What Makes This Healthy Caesar Dressing Taste So Good
- A base of Greek yogurt allows you to cut back on the amount of olive oil used and omit the egg yolks completely, while thickening up the dressing at the same time.
- The tanginess of the yogurt is played up with lemon juice and zest.
- LOTS and LOTS of garlic- 2 big cloves, which is almost an obscene amount, gives this healthy Caesar dressing a nice kick.
- Ingredients like Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce and grated Parmesan deliver a big flavor boost.
Minute Skinny Caesar Dressing
Three Minute Skinny Caesar Dressing! A super easy and flavorful caesar dressing that wont chub you up! Made with simple ingredients, you will never miss the full fat version!
Who doesnt love a really good Caesar Salad?! Its one of our faves. But the dressing can be a hassle. Raw egg. A can of oily anchovies. Short shelf life. Sure, there is the store bought stuff, but it lacks the fresh flavor of homemade, not to mention pricy and fattening. But here I am to save your Caesar day!
No egg, no oily can of fish, low calorie, big flavored dressing!
I posted this recipe years ago, and it is still a family favorite. It was time for a recipe up-do! Its the same recipe, I just increased the yield. More is better!
Don’t Miss: Chicken Salad Chick Mac And Cheese
Easy Caesar Salad Dressing Recipe
Skip the heavy, creamy dressing and make this easy, Caesar vinaigrette instead. This homemade caesar salad dressing recipe only takes a few minutes and contains no raw egg. Plus, its healthy, dairy free and paleo friendly so you can enjoy it whenever you want.
Caesar Is Without A Doubt The King Of Salad Dressings
Creamy and salty with a punch of garlic whats not to love?
Well, the high-fat content for starters. Then the calories per serve can be a bit off-putting as well as the preservatives and artificial ingredients often used in store-bought varieties.
This lighter caesar dressing can be made at home in minutes and stored in your fridge for up to five days.
This is a very simple recipe that uses Greek yoghurt as a base ingredient as opposed to mayonnaise, reducing the fat content compared to a regular caesar dressing. You will need a food processor to create this recipe, although a hand blender will suffice.
You May Like: How To Make Fried Taco Salad Shells
About This Healthy Caesar Dressing
Unlike traditional Caesar dressing, my healthy Caesar dressing is made with lighter, nutrient-packed ingredients with the following benefits:
- Greek yogurt offers calcium, vitamins, protein, and probiotics.
- Olive oil, garlic, and anchovy paste provide omega-3 fatty acids, anti-inflammatory properties, protein, antioxidants, and numerous vitamins and minerals .
- Drizzle or drench. With just over 100 calories per serving and 10g of fat, you can indulge as little or as much as you want with this Caesar dressing.
Why We Love This Healthy Caesar Salad Dressing:
There is a lot to love about this delicious dressing recipe. Its one of our favorites because:
- Great on salads This dressing will add so much flavor to your salads!
- Simple to make- You can make this dressing in 5 minutes. All you need to do is simply blend your ingredients together and enjoy!
- Tastes so delicious: You would never know this dressing is healthy. Homemade salad dressings are always so much better for you, and better tasting!
Also Check: Who Sells Marzetti Potato Salad Dressing
Does Caesar Dressing Contain Mayonnaise
Compared to other Caesar dressing recipes, this dressing is remarkably simple to make. Well start with a base of mayonnaise, which is easier than emulsifying oil and egg, not to mention foolproof. This Caesar dressing is anchovy-free, which makes it suitable for vegetarians like me and anyone with a shellfish allergy.
What Youll Need To Make Caesar Salad Dressing
Instead of whole anchovies, I use anchovy paste makes it easy, especially if youre squeamish about anchovies
For the cheese, its important to use imported Parmigiano-Reggiano from Italy domestic Parmesan pales in comparison. You can always tell if its authentic by looking at the rind, which is embossed with the name over and over. If the cheese is already grated, it should be labeled Parmigiano-Reggiano, not Parmesan.
Read Also: Bean Salad With Apple Cider Vinegar
Did You Make This Recipe
** I often leave out the cheese to save more calories and its still great or substitute with nutritional yeast.
Jamie Olivers Caesar salad recipe
Jamie is quite loose with his measurements, which I dont mind at all, so I adapted my recipe based on his splash of this and spoon of that, and to my taste. I reduced the amount of lemon as it is very tangy.
Recipe | Adapted from Jamie Olivers 15 minute Meals | makes about 350 400ml
- 5T low fat / fat-free yoghurt 100ml
- 1T red wine vinegar
- 1t Dijon Mustard
- a small handful of fresh basil leaves
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1/4 cup of fresh lemon juice
- 50g Parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
Follow instructions as per above
* to see the recipe for my action-packed Caesars salad with chicken and bacon, but with a classic dressing clickity click over here.
I look forward to connecting with you again in the future.
Visit my to get updates of all my posts.
I can also be found enthusiastically pinning beautiful food images on
Tips For The Best Caesar Salad
Even though Caesar salads can be thought of as basic and maybe even a little boring, putting a little extra thought into the ingredients will make it anything but that.
- Try switching out romaine lettuce for tender little gem lettuce leaves.
- Buy good quality parmesan and make croutons from scratch or buy some from your local bakery that were made from a good quality bread.
- Making your dressing from scratch like this healthy version is always a fantastic way to upgrade your Caesar salads.
Thanks for reading Le Petit Eats! To keep up with my kitchen escapades, follow me on , , and If you make this Healthy Caesar Dressing, dont forget to share it using the hashtag #LePetitEats!
You May Like: How Many Carbs In A Wendy’s Southwest Avocado Salad
Substitutions For Low Calorie Caesar Dressing
Nonfat Greek Yogurt: You can substitute any plain yogurt as a 1:1 substitute for greek yogurt. You can also use cottage cheese, but we will warn you that the consistency of the dressing will change.
Lemon Juice: This recipe is best with freshly squeezed lemon juice. We dont recommend using store brought lemon juice, the flavor is not as flavorful and lemony. Youll be missing out!
Parmesan cheese: Pecorino Romano, asiago, or any hard sharp Italian cheese will work when grated for this dressing. We havent tried it, but nutritional yeast could also work as a dairy-free substitute for cheese.
Dijon mustard: Whole grain or stone ground mustard will work just as well as dijon.
Healthy Caesar Salad Dressing Recipe
This Caesar dressing recipe is lightened up by making it with Greek yogurt. And instead of anchovies in their original form, it uses Worcestershire sauce, which actually contains anchovies and is an easier way to add that umami flavor and a bit of saltiness.
Just like most typical recipes, this one also contains lemon juice, garlic, olive oil, and parmesan cheese to give it that familiar savory flavor you love.
Here is a brief overview so you can see just how easy it is to make. Scroll down to the printable recipe card for the full quantities and details. But dont skip my PRO TIPS below!
Also Check: How To Make Cucumber Salad
What Can I Put This Caesar Dressing On
- Caesar salad with romaine of course!
- Chicken Caesar salad my Caesar salad recipe featuring this dressing. So GOOD!
- Any variation of Caesar salad I love doing a kale Caesar salad in the winter.
- Caesar pasta salad with chicken a fun twist on the classic salad.
- Chicken, salmon, or shrimp We already know how great a Caesar salad is when chicken, salmon, or shrimp are added to a Caesar salad. Why not just use this Caesar dressing as a little flavor boost?!
Why Is This Caesar Dressing Healthier Then Traditional Caesar Dressings
The nutrition facts for a traditional, store bought Caesar dressing has 160 calories, 18 grams of fat, and 340mg of sodium in a serving of 2 tablespoons.
My healthy Caesar dressing recipe only has 82 calories, 7.8 grams of fat, and 141.9 mg of sodium in a serving of 2 tablespoons.
Thank you fat free Greek yogurt!!!
Also, there is always the added benefit of calcium, a bit of protein, and probiotics when using Greek yogurt!
So many wins!
Also Check: How Many Carbs Does Salad Have
Why Is This 3 Minute Caesar Dressing A Skinny Recipe Only 2 Tablespoons Of Olive Oil And 52 Calories A Serving Can I Get A Whoo Hoo
So lets talk about anchovies. I know you think you dont like thembut if you like Caesar dressing than you like anchovies. Anchovy flavor is what made you fall in love with the dressing in the first place! If you leave out the anchovies, it will still be good, but it will not be Caesar. It will be Lemon Dijon Vinaigrette.
Cooking with anchovies can be really easy by using the paste instead of the tin of oily fish. You can find it right by the canned anchovy. It comes in a tube. I use Napolean brand but I am sure any will do. It has a long shelf life and you will be sure to have it on hand for many many batches of this tasty dressing. Trust me, you are going to make this a lot!
I use a blender to mix this up but a wire whisk will work just as good. Just mince your garlic very fine if hand whisking. I have a Magic Bullet Blender . I am not big on gadgets, I dont even own a full size food processor, but I love this blender! Its small, powerful, and super easy to clean.
The dijon is a natural emulsifierand holds this yummy concoction together. It wont separatenot even after sitting in your fridge for a few days.
This will keep in your refrigerator for about a week. Like me, it gets better as it ages :).
Low Fat Low Calorie Caesar Salad Dressing
2 heads romaine lettuce1-1/2 oz. Parmigiano-Reggiano1 cup reduced-fat croutons2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper2 garlic clovesRinse the lettuce with cold water, discard the stump and separate the leaves and make several lengthwise slits down the middle of the leaves. Mix all the dressing ingredients placed in a bowl using a whisk. Keep mixing until the ingredients are well blended together evenly to produce a smooth dressing. To serve mix the lettuce with the dressing using a pair of tongs making sure all the lettuce leaves are evenly coated. Add the fresh grated Parmigiano Reggiano, or a low fat substitute and the croutons. You can also add a sprinkling or well-cooked and chopped bacon pieces, but these add extra calories.
Don’t Miss: Chicken Salad Chick Box Lunch
This Is The Best Caesar Salad Dressing Recipe
I have a major love-hate relationship with salad. Im not sure why, but I go through major phases of wanting to eat salad everyday to avoiding it like the plague. I seriously cant decide how I feel about it. Though, I will say that I think dressing is a major contributing factor.
Im pretty against bottled dressing even though its inevitable that Ill have to use one every now and then, and Im really picky about having my salad dressed. Im not a fan of putting my dressing on at the table. I know it seems like there isnt much of a difference, but it seems huge to me.
So I try to make homemade dressing whenever I can. Its not all that hard, and it makes such an impact on the flavor of a salad.
Why Youll Love This Dressing
- Its egg-free! Instead of mayo or egg yolks typically found in caesar dressing were using Greek yogurt, which has less fat and calories and more protein.
- Its creamy and still packed with all the caesar flavor you love.
- Super simple to whip up. Just add all your ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
Recommended Reading: Best Ever Chicken Salad Recipe
What Can I Use Instead Of Anchovies
As I mentioned before, the anchovies are what give this caesar dressing that classic caesar flavor, so I dont recommend skipping them! That said, if you just cant get behind anchovies or cant find any there are a few substitutions you could try.
- Worcestershire sauce: Since Worcestershire sauce is made with anchovies, this is probably your best substitution. This recipe already calls for Worcestershire sauce, but if youre skipping the anchovies I would add 1-2 more teaspoons.
- Fish sauce: Fish sauce is typically made from fermented anchovies, making it a good substitute for the anchovies in this dressing.
- Capers: If you need a vegan/vegetarian substitute for anchovies capers would be a good option. Theyre similar to anchovy paste in that theyre soft and oily and have a salty and umami flavor.
What Is Traditional Caesar Dressing Made With
The traditional, freshly made, Caesar dressing is made using fresh, raw egg yolks, olive oil, lemon juice, mustard, salt, garlic, minced anchovy, and lots of parmesan cheese. This method is usually freshly made due to the raw egg yolks. The egg yolks, mustard, lemon juice, and olive oil are whisked into a creamy emulsion essentially a mayonnaise, and then parmesan cheese is added. I actually dont think Ive had a fresh made Caesar dressing before, I would love to try it.
However, a lot of store bought Caesar dressings are made with mayonnaise as the base , along with the parmesan cheese, anchovy, parmesan cheese, and garlic added in.
You May Like: Oxo Good Grips Salad Spinner Large
Homemade Caesar Salad Dressing
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy.
My family loves this rich and creamy Caesar salad dressing. Its not overly garlicky or fishy its just right.
Though most people buy Caesar salad dressing in a bottle, homemade is incredibly easy to make and tastes so much better than store-bought. There are many variations, but this rich and creamy version is the one my whole family loves. Its not too garlicky and not too fishy its just right.
Unlike authentic Caesar dressings which are made with olive oil and thickened with raw eggs, this one has a mayonnaise base, which means no raw eggs so you dont have to worry about giving it to your kids. And, speaking of kids, mine love this dressing so much that theyve learned to make it themselves. They dont even wait for me to make a salad while I cook dinner, they sit at the kitchen table with a big head of romaine and dip the leaves in.
Tips From The Betty Crocker Kitchens
- tip 1 We’ve replaced ingredients with great-tasting alternatives to create better-for-you recipes that are just as yummy as the originals.
- tip 2 Look for jars of chopped garlic in the produce department.
- tip 3 Serve this dressing on classic crisp romaine or on any combination of lettuce and veggies that you like.
Recommended Reading: Caesar Salad Dressing Without Anchovies
Kraft Fat Free Creamy Caesar Dressing
Kraft Fat Free Caesar Dressing has the classic, creamy Caesar flavour that makes this dressing a family favourite. Use Kraft Caesar to top your favourite salads, use it as a delicious veggie dip, or for other side dishes of your choice. This dressing is made with no artificial flavours or colours and 0 fat and 0 cholesterol, so you can feel good serving it to your family!
Water, Corn Syrup, Buttermilk , Vinegar, Salt, Romano And Parmesan Cheese, Garlic, Natural Flavour, Potato Maltodextrin, Anchovy Paste, Sugar, Modified Corn Starch, Xanthan Gum, Lemon Juice Concentrate, Potassium Sorbate, Colour, Spices And Seasonings , Propylene Glycol Alginate, Dried Sour Cream , Phosphoric Acid, Yeast Extract, Calcium Disodium Edta, Dried Garlic, Silicon Dioxide.
Ingredients For My Healthy Caesar Salad Dressing:
- Plain Greek yogurt Yes!!! My star ingredient! Fat free Greek yogurt allows us to cut the fat, and calorie for the dressing in half. Yet, it still provides that thick, creamy texture and taste we know and love with a Caesar dressing.
- Lemon juice Bright, fresh, acidic. A much needed balance. Just make sure to use freshly squeezed, it makes all the difference.
- Anchovy paste I know, this may sound scary, but I promise, its not. Anchovy is a very traditional ingredient in Caesar dressing. It does NOT make the dressing taste fishy, but it does add a salty, umami flavor that really adds to the overall taste. The anchovy paste makes this step super easy, and painless. It comes in a little tube, so all you have to do is squirt it into your measuring spoon. See, not scary, right?!
- Garlic cloves Fresh garlic in a Caesar dressing is also essential. It adds so much good flavor.
- Parmesan cheese Adds more salty, umami, cheesy flavor that we all associate with Caesar dressing. Just make sure to use good quality, freshly rated parmesan, skip the powder stuff in the green can, please.
- Olive oil Nice, fruity olive oil to help with the thick creamy situation. It also adds a nice nutty flavor.
- Kosher salt Of course, to bring out the flavors. We dont need much due to the saltiness of the anchovy paste, and the parmesan cheese.
- Freshly ground black pepper And lots of it. I love the hint of complexity black pepper brings to this dressing.
Also Check: Healthy Salad Recipes For Lunch