How To Store Leftovers
Ham Salad is typically chilled, either on crackers or as a ham salad sandwich. Since it contains mayonnaise, it should not be left out any longer than 2 hours.
- ToStore: Leftovers should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Can you freeze ham salad? I wouldnt recommend freezing ham salad. The mayonnaise tends to separate leaving a less than desirable texture and taste once its thawed.
One of my very favorite reasons for serving a ham on Christmas and Easter is for the leftovers so I can make ham balls and this deviled ham recipe. The other 363 days of the year, I just buy a pre-packaged thick ham steak, which also gets the job done!
Old Fashioned Ham Salad
I should name this recipe Glorias ham salad. Gloria makes an amazingly tasty, quick, and easy ham salad without eggs. I was recently at a party and Gloria brought the most delicious ham salad Ive had. I wasnt the only person at the party that thought this was the most amazing ham salad imaginable. I knew with one bite, I had to ask her for her recipe and share this recipe with you.
You dont need to have leftover ham to prepare this recipe. I love that she uses simple slices of ham to make this homemade old fashioned ham salad. She also uses a lot of unique ingredients in it, and I thought it would be a great recipe to add to the website.
In no time at all, you can enjoy this easy to make ham spread.
When you start with great quality ingredients you get results that are quite good. I had one of the best ham salad sandwiches in recent memory, and best of all this was made with this easy ham salad.
Variations On Ham Salad
There are many different ways to make your ham salad perfect for you. Try adding any of these common ham salad ingredients.
- Dill pickles or dill relish You can choose to use sweet relish or dill relish in your ham salad. Some recipes even put pieces of chopped pickles in too.
- Chopped onion, bell pepper, or other fresh veggies.
- Spicy Mustard, Miracle Whip, Barbecue Sauce, or any flavorful sauce or dressing that you think would taste good with ham.
- Fresh chopped herbs like parsley or cilantro.
- Lemon Juice or a splash of vinegar.
Don’t Miss: Johnny’s Dynamic Electric Salad Spinner
Tips Tricks And Frequently Asked Questions
Make it sweeter by using Miracle Whip instead of mayonnaise.
Add a zing of vinegar flavor by swapping the sweet relish for dill pickle relish.
Try making this with other leftovers or deli meats like roast beef, chicken or turkey.
For a low carb version use mayo and dill relish and serve on celery ribs.
Add hard boiled egg to make it stretch. Bell pepper is also yummy and adds a pop of color!
Try stirring in a handful of shredded cheddar cheese.
If you dont have a food processor, just finely dice the ham or use a meat grinder.
More Salad Recipes For You To Try
- Courgette salad a delicious salad with grilled courgette tossed in with radish and scattered with chopped mint and chillies.
- Roast vegetable and feta salad load up your plate with our tasty roasted vegetable salad and serve with cubed feta cheese.
- Greek salad lunch bowl the perfect, easy, healthy lunch bowl packed with tasty Mediterranean flavours.
- Sausage salad a delicious sausage and new potato salad with honey and mustard dressing. Great for summer dinner.
Recommended Reading: Wendy’s Caesar Salad Nutrition
How To Make Creamy Ham And Potato Salad:
Slice potatoes in half, place them in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook for an additional 10-15 minutes until fork tender. Drain well.Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, sour cream, chicken broth, dijon mustard, celery seed, salt and pepper.
Add cooked potatoes to mayonnaise mixture and stir well.Then add ham and stir again.Finally, gently stir in cheese, tomato and green onions.Cover bowl with plastic wrap and place into the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.Stir before serving.
How To Make Our Ham Salad Recipe With Cheese
- Get yourself four plates and share out all the salad ingredients between the plates I like to load mine up salad leaves, cucumber, tomatoes, carrots, baby beets, sweetcorn, ham then cheese.
- Mix up the mustard mayo just add the two ingredients together and stir into each other. Drizzle over the salads.
I usually make ham salad recipe without celery for the kids but sprinkle some in for me.
Also Check: How Do You Make Homemade Chicken Salad
How To Make Ham Salad
Ham salad is a quickie lunch fix, whether you have a food processor or not. Heres all you do:
Really, thats all there is to it!
Tips For The Perfect Salad
- You can control the texture of this salad based on how finely you grind your meat. I prefer a chunkier salad, so I use the food processor to pulse my ham to get to the right consistency, or I chop it with a knife.
- Feel free to use the food processor to finely dice your celery, onion and parsley.
- You can serve this salad with a side of buttery crackers, spoon it into lettuce leaves for a low carb option, or mound it onto a croissant or bun with lettuce to serve as a sandwich.
- I find that the flavors in this salad are best if you use sweet pickle relish, as the sweetness offsets the salty flavor of the ham. You can also use dill pickle relish if you prefer, or simply add some finely diced pickle to the mix.
- Looking to save a few calories? Its fine to substitute light mayonnaise instead of the full fat variety.
- I make this dish year round, its not just for leftover ham! If I dont have leftovers on hand, I purchase a ham steak at the grocery store.
Also Check: Healthy Salad Dressing For Diabetics
The Ham Salad You Remember
- the ham: I use a smoked hamyou can find it in the packaged meat section of your grocery store. Sometimes it will come sliced, but it doesnt matter for this recipe. A smoked ham adds an extra layer of flavor to this salad.
- the mayo: sure, you could just add a big kollop of Miracle Whip to your salad, thats what my mom did. But Im going up a notch with actual mayonnaise, lol, and a nice glug of creamy Dijon mustard. Mix the two together and youve got a much better dressing for this salad.
- the relish: mom added sweet relish. As kids we loved the extra sweetness but Im going one better with finely minced gherkins. And add in a few of the little cocktail onions that come in the jar, thats how were rolling.
- the bread: ok, I cop to it, Im using the same sliced white bread mom did. There are some things you just cant improve on
Simple Ham Salad: Quick Versatile And Utterly Delicious
A simple ham salad recipe elevated to incredible with the addition of a few unique ingredients. And its utterly delicious. Ready in 10 minutes, its a salad youll make all season!
Using leftover ham, this delicious spread is ready in minutes and is perfect for dips, appetizers, brunch, lunch sandwiches, and even finger sandwiches for afternoon tea.
Simple, easy, and utterly yummy.
Don’t Miss: Chicken Salad Chick E Gift Card
Ham Salad Recipe Tips
This recipe is exceedingly easy. Here are a few quick tips:
- Leftover holiday ham, whether freshly cooked or frozen, is perfect for this salad. But ham steaks work great too. What you need is cooked, boneless ham, chopped.
- As hams vary in saltiness, be sure to taste the ham prior to adding additional salt. I very often add no additional salt.
- Using a food processor or blender is the easiest way to make this salad in minutes. If making by hand, be sure to finely mince the ingredients.
What Can I Put In A Ham Salad
You can make our shredded ham salad recipe ideas with whatever you fancy try
- Salad leaves lettuce, rocket, baby spinach, baby herb leaves, shredded baby kale just choose your favourite.
- Cucumber use regular cucumber, baby cucumbers or even pickled cucumbers.
- Tomatoes try baby plum or little yellow tomatoes for added interest, you can even add in sun dried tomatoes.
- Peppers try a mix of peppers, red, yellow and green or even try jarred chargrilled peppers in the mix too for added flavour and texture.
- Sweetcorn you can use canned corn or even griddle some baby corn to throw in your salad.
- Radishes sliced radish with the gorgeous pinky purple skins look gorgeous in a ham salad recipe.
- Beetroot you can use cooked beetroot, pickled beetroot or grated shredded beets.
- Salad onions just sliced into thin rings are delicious sprinkled over a salad.
- Grated cheese I absolutely love my ham salad recipe with cheese, usually Cheddar, but its also great made with feta, mozzarella or even grilled halloumi.
- Pickles add in any pickles or preserves you like try jalapeno, gherkins, olives and capers
- Baby potatoes cooked and cooled baby potatoes are super tasty in a ham salad.
- Eggs ham salad with eggs is super tasty, its well worth adding a few sliced hard boiled eggs to your salad, its such a delicious addition.
Also Check: Spicy Chicken Salad Wendy’s
How To Make It
This Ham Salad recipe is so simple to make in about 2 minutes flat with the help of a food processor or powerful blender.
How To Make Potato Salad:
Peel and dice potatoes into cubes. Place potatoes into a large pot of water. Boil for about 20 minutes . Take care not to overcook your potatoes you dont want them overly mushy.
Mix together mayonnaise, vinegar, mustard, chicken stock and salt and pepper in a large bowl.
Add potatoes, celery, onion and stir gently.
Stir in eggs.
Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours to blend flavors and chill.
Cooks Note: Potatoes love to soak up all the mayonnaise, so if you noticed your salad is just a little dry when you are ready to serve, add a little more milk or chicken stock and mayonnaise and it will restore the creaminess of your potato salad.
Also Check: Oxo Good Grips Little Salad & Herb Spinner
Two Ways To Make Ham Salad
Option One: Classic Ham Salad
This quick and easy Ham Salad recipe calls for finely chopped smoked ham, and uses cream cheese instead of mayonnaise to bind all the ingredients together. Spoon it into airy cheese puffs and serve it at brunch or bridal showers.
Option Two: Deviled Ham Terrine
Use your food processor to prepare the smoked ham in this Deviled Ham Terrine. Don’t be dismayed by the seemingly long ingredient list you probably already have all the items in your pantry. You can make this recipe up to three days ahead, and I think it actually tastes better a day or so after it has been made and the flavors have blended together.
Ham salad is a nice switch from chicken or egg salad. Use ham salad as a dip with crackers or baby vegetables. Or use it as a sandwich spread with your favorite bread, crispy lettuce and fresh tomatoes.
How To Store Ham Salad
Ham salad is a great make-ahead option because it will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Stir in the pecans just before serving so that they stay crunchy and firm.
Do not let the ham salad sit out at room temperature for more than 2 hours to prevent bacteria from growing. You can keep the salad cold by setting a bowl on top of ice, or by storing the container in a cooler at your picnic.
Don’t Miss: Healthy Cold Pasta Salad Recipes
Notes On Ingredientshow To Make Ham Salad
- Ham use leftover ham from a holiday, or buy a good quality fully cooked ham.
- Hard-boiled egg separate the whites from the yolks. The yolks are added to the mayonnaise dressing.
- Celery adds some pop of color and crunch to the salad.
- Mayonnaise acts as base of the dressing. Use an all-natural and good quality mayonnaise.
- Yellow mustard just a little goes a long way and enhances the flavor of the dressing. You can substitute with your favorite mustard.
- Sweet pickle relish always included when making a similar type of salad as it gives extra flavor.
- Sweet Onion just adds the right amount of zestyness and slight bite that overall enchances the flavor of the salad. Dont omit.
- Sugar just a little bit. Not to sweeten the salad but to help balance out the flavors. I use this like a flavor enhancer.
What Is The Best Way To Chop The Ham
Using your food processor will make quick work of the chopping. Dont just give it a whirl, though. Roughly chop the ham first, then add the meat and pulse it several times until its the consistency youre looking for.
Personally, I LOVE my immersion blender for chopping this ham up. I just toss diced ham in there and give it a few quick pulses and Im done. Its so quick and easy to clean up too!
To be honest, I purposely make sure to have extra leftover holiday ham and hard-boiled eggs so I can make it its the best ham salad recipe! I hope you love this recipe, I know we do! Be sure to comment below, I definitely want to hear from you!!!
Read Also: Jack In The Box Salad Prices
Making The Best Ham Salad Sandwich
What makes for a delicious sandwich? Starting with good quality ingredients. Here are just a few tips for creating your best ham salad sandwich ever!
- Use good bread try a different hearty bread like wheatberry or sourdough.
- Use condiments like mayonnaise did you know the fat of the mayonnaise or other sandwich spread like Miracle Whip keeps the bread from getting soggy. No one wants wet bread. Sure fresh tomatoes and freshly washed lettuce are great, but not if they make your bread soggy.
- Spread condiments and the filling right to the edge dont just put the filling in the center. Spread it out so every bite is the same. Do the same with the condiments like mayonnaise. No one wants a sandwich with dry bread.
- Use fresh veggies Use tomatoes at the peak of their ripeness.
- Cut the sandwich into triangles Did you know people will eat 50% more if you simply cut your sandwich into a triangle?
- If you can, get someone else to make your sandwich a sandwich made by someone else always tastes better.
Procedure On How To Make Ham Salad
Mix ground ham, chopped egg whites, celery, pickle relish, and onion together in a bowl. Combine mayonnaise, mashed yolks, mustard, and sugar together in a separate bowl. Mix both until well blended. Refrigerate until serving time.
If you like what you see and would like to receive new recipe updates, wed love you to subscribe to our posts or join our site. Needless to say, wed love you to like us on and , too where you can get more recipes and updates. Thanks and happy browsing!
Read Also: How To Make Simple Tuna Salad
How Long Does It Last
This easy Ham Salad recipe can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Transfer your ham salad to an airtight container and place in the refrigerator until ready to eat. Be sure to give it a stir before serving and its best when served chilled.
This Southern Style Ham Salad recipe is very similar to Deviled Ham Salad except that deviled ham doesnt have the pickles and other veggies blended into the mix.
What Is Deviled Ham
Deviled ham spread might be considered a strange recipe outside of the USA, but despite its slightly gooey appearance, it is actually a super tasty way to not only use up extra ham but also provide a tasty side dish, party food, or snack!
Made from leftover ham and seasonings, this recipe is actually a fairly traditional method of pork preservation and was historically used as a way of using up poorer quality cuts of ham that people didnt want to eat as a whole meal.
So, how do you make this strangely savory dip?
You May Like: Where Can I Get A Taco Salad
What Is Ham Salad
Ham salad is similar to a tuna salad or even chicken salad. Chopped ham paired with mayo and mustard for a creamy and savory ham salad.
The ham is either diced or in some cases or ground. Depending on where you live you will find the texture can vary. A classic ham salad spread that is versatile, and comfort food.
Why I Recommend This Recipe
- Easy lunch
- Great recipe for leftover ham at holidays
- Simple ingredients
- Great way to use up shredded ham or even pulled ham
- Pickles or opt for a sweet pickle relish
Helpful Tool Small food chopper is great for a finer consistency of diced ham and vegetables. The key is small chunks so you enjoy a mix of flavors in each bite. The mayonnaise dressing is very creamy, so feel free to enjoy this amazing ham salad.