How To Choose The Right Salad Dressing For Different Types Of Greens
Pairing greens and dressings is kind of like wine pairings. The right dressing and green can totally make a difference.
- Greens that are great for creamier texture dressings Iceberg, Romaine, Arugula, Bibb Lettuce, Radicchio, Watercress, Endive, Frisée, Shredded cabbage, Roasted/grilled cabbage wedges, Steamed or blanched broccoli
- Greens that are great for lighter and more citrus based dressings Spinach, Spring greens, Bibb Lettuce, Kale, Grilled asparagus, Steamed or blanched broccoli
Frozen Fruits & Veggies
Great job, Kroger! Its so, so important to have a freezer stash of cauliflower rice, broccoli, and frozen fruit when youre doing a Whole30. Having some frozen options on hand whipping up a complete meal so much easier! What I found:
- So many compliant frozen fruits and veggies, from price points starting at $1.00 .
- Green Giant Veggie Spirals $4.29
- Simple Truth Frozen Fruits: LOTS of varieties of fruit in different sizes
- Pitaya Plus: Frozen Dragonfruit $4.99
Dressings & Sauces You Can Buy
If youre short on time or short on desire to make your own Whole30-compliant dressings and sauces, dont despair. There are so many great ones on the market now to make Whole30 so much easier.
Primal Kitchen has an entire Whole30 Collection of Dressings, sauces and marinades! BBQ Sauces, Teriyaki, Ranch, Ketchup, Mustard, Caesar and more.
Use coupon code: REALFOODRDS for 10% off your total purchase at PrimalKitchen.com
Don’t Miss: What Are The Ingredients For A Cobb Salad
Whole30 Salad Dressings That Will Actually Make You Want To Eat Your Greens
Elimination diets can be tricky and the Whole30 program in particular is not for the faint of heart . For this reason, its good to be prepared before you commit to nixing foods that you previously never thought twice about eating. Salads, for example, are always a diet-approved dish, right? Well, if youre doing Whole30, the answer to that question has to do with not just the toppings you use but also how you dress them. For this reason, we suggest you check out our roundup of Whole30 salad dressings before you bust out the lettuce and start making lunch. Bonus: These dressings are all homemade, so you wont have to spend an eternity poring over ingredient lists at the grocery store.
The Difference Between Whole30 Approved And Whole30 Compliant:
Whole30 Approved is an official mark used by the Whole30 team. You have to first have Whole30 compliant ingredients, then apply for this certification. If approved, you can then use the Whole30 Approved logo on your products to make it clear to the community that your product is not only compliant for your Whole30, but also endorsed by the Whole30 team.
Recommended Reading: How To Remove Salad Dressing Stain From Clothes
Whole30 Travel & Emergency Food
Krogers done a pretty stand up job in this department, but they didnt have a ton of options for travel foods and emergencies. Still, you can definitely pack complete meals with what they have! What I found:
- Raisins: Not the most exciting snack, but a solid shelf-stable option for travel. Just be careful since it can be a food with no breaks type thing. $2.40
- Wild Planet Sardines: Not my favorite travel snack but still a solid option. I usually try to eat them with something crunchy like cucumber or lettuce $2.49
- Pearls: Olives to go! I hate olives, but I know a lot of people love them, and theyre compliant and an easy way to get some healthy fat in. I just cant, though.
- Safe Catch Tuna: Theyre Whole30 Approved and come in several flavors , also packed in bags that are awesome for traveling $2.49
- Simple Truth Tuna: Packed in handy bags to take on-the-go $2.49
- Thats It! Fruit Bars $1.50 each
- RX Bars $8.99 for a box of 6, or $1.99 each.
- Kettle & FireSoup! This Bone Broth Lemongrass Pho osWhole30 Approved!) $4.99
DRUMROLL, PLEASE.. The moment youve all been waiting for, the only travel-friendly vegetable Ive ever found that is Whole30 compliant, shelf-stable, and not marinated, pickled, or cured.
It might not seem like a big deal, but if you have a multi-day trip without much access to refrigerators and microwaves, youll find having the a shelf-stable option for your vegetables is so helpful!
Why This Dressing Is So Good
- It comes together in just about 5 minutes, thanks to an immersion blender.
- This Whole30 ranch dressing boasts just the right balance of fresh garlic, the perfect fresh herbs, and creaminess youll fall in love with.
- Its super versatile to make, too, and it goes with just about everything!
And in my opinion, theres no excuse to not make your own! Its way, way easier than going to the store and shelling out six or seven bucks for a bottle of the compliant stuff: put all the ingredients in a container, blitz it up with an immersion blender, throw the herbs in, and poof Done!
The dump and go concept is amazing, too. I use it for so many recipes that we make regularly, having originally been totally sold by the amazing J. Kenji López-Alts in-depth article about the dos and donts of the process. Since then Ive made dump mayo, dump Caesar, and plenty other weird ones at home. Life changing!
Weve spent the last year refining the ingredients and process to come up with our favorite Whole30 dump ranch dressing recipe, and I think youll absolutely fall in love with it, too. Im as picky as it gets when it comes to ranch dressing, so ours has to be super garlicky with a ton of the right fresh herbs, a true buttermilk tang, and the perfect consistency. Try it out and let me know how much you love it!
Recommended Reading: How To Make Healthy Tuna Salad
Whole30 Caesar Salad Dressing Ingredients
This homemade dairy free Caesar salad dressing is made with a few simple ingredients that are whisked together to make the most luscious dressing. That means this dairy free dressing falls into the category of a pantry friendly recipe that you can whip up any day of the week! The only fresh ingredients you need are garlic and lemon juice everything else youll probably already have stocked in your pantry
Whole30 Salad Dressing Round Up
Whole30 salad dressing round up is not only for those starting the year with whole30, but also for people with clean eating goals overall. I promised you Id give you some tools for a cleaner 2017 and I cant think of a better place to start than with sauces and dressings. Condiments that are whole30 compliant kept me from food boredom throughout my whole30, and I discovered they have more flavor than their store-bought counterparts, with the added bonus of using quality ingredients. The practice of making my own dressings stayed with me beyond whole30 because theyre delicious and frankly it just felt so good to be putting great food in my body and specifically living without sweeteners was an incredible game changer for my health.
Daikon Noodle Salad with Asian Salad Dressing
About stocking upalways important but especially so during whole30. I keep a variety of vinegar plus lemons, limes, avocado oil, extra virgin olive oil and light olive oil, toasted sesame oil, organic medjool dates, fresh garlic, herbs and spices, coconut aminos, good mustard Avocado Mayo and coconut milk.
Here are some of the dressings I make most frequently, and the favorites remain stocked in my fridge.
Making your own dressings can save you money, are quick to make, allows you to use better quality ingredients and once you get the hang of it you can get really creative.
Let me know which ones are your favorites.
Smoky Ranch Dressing
1 egg room temperature
1 cup light olive oil or avocado oil
Recommended Reading: Panera Napa Almond Chicken Salad
What Do Whole30 Dressings Taste Like
Okay, now that we know whats in Whole30 dressings, the bigger question is: what do Whole30 dressings taste like? Each of the five Whole30 dressings tastes distinctly different. Thats part of the appeal! The line is versatile enough to please any palate and the dressings can be used as dips, marinades, sauces or drizzles.
The House Ranch tastes shockinglylike ranch! Its slightly less creamy than your typical bottle, but the herbs and mustard seed dial up the flavor. Try it on burgers, dipped in raw veggies or drizzled on air fryer sweet potato fries.
The Buffalo Vinaigrette is my personal favorite. The mild cayenne is spicy enough to kick up homemade hot wings but not so spicy that your kids wont eat it. Mix it into hummus or crank up the flavor on roasted cauliflower.
Elderberry Vinaigrette is the sweetest dressing in the Whole30 dressing line, but its not excessively sweet. Use this flavor powerhouse to punch up sad spinach salads and to brighten blah berries. Its also a yummy marinade for grilled chicken.
Creamy Balsamic is a go-to. This classic dressing is one of the most versatile in the bunch with just a touch of tang and sweetness. Try it on a hearty grain bowl or drizzled on a veggie wrap. Ive been eating it on top of pan-roasted chicken and vegetables.
Heres Exactly What You Need To Make This Whole30 Caesar Salad Dressing:
- Whole30 compliant mayo I often use my easy avocado oil mayonnaise because it takes less than 5 minutes to whip up and is less expensive than store bought versions. But you could also grab a jar of Chosen Foods Mayo or Primal Kitchen Mayo.
- Lemon juice Fresh lemon juice adds such a lovely brightness to this caesar salad dressing!
- Garlic As much or as little as you like, but I usually use 1 decent sized clove.
- Mustard Either smooth dijon or a whole grain mustard. Personally I love the texture of grainy mustard but its totally up to you! Just make sure to check the label if youre doing a Whole30, as some mustards have added sugar or wine.
- Anchovy paste OR coconut aminosI find that either of these ingredients add the right amount of umami rich flavor that we all crave in caesar salad dressing.
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- Olive oilOlive oil or avocado oil would both work to finish this creamy dairy free salad dressing.
Don’t Miss: Chick Fil A Salad Nutrition
More Whole30 Compliant Salad Dressings:
So my friends 5 of my Whole30 Salad Dressing recipes with fresh spring herbs made healthy, easy, low carb, Paleo, and vegan! If you give these Whole30 Salad dressing a try, be sure to leave a comment and rate the recipe. Thanks so much in advance!
to get more healthy and scrumptious Paleo Asian-Inspired Recipes for free!
Also check out
Whole30 Meat Eggs & Seafood
The three Krogers in my city are all different sizes, but each one had an impressive selection of meat, eggs, and seafood. Youve got a TON of options when you shop at Kroger, so I included some items here that I thought were interesting!
And remember, all meat and eggs are compliant! Just make sure there are no weird additives or sweeteners, and youre good to go! You dont have to buy the fancy stuff, unless you want to and can afford it.
What I found:
- Eggs: They ranged in price from $1.19 to $4.99 , to $6.99 , all the way up to $7.99 . All of these eggs are Whole30 compliant, so just get whatever works for you budget!
- Meat: They have all the standard meats, but some of the interesting things I found are Kroger brand ground veal $8.99/lb, ground bison $8.99/lb, and Prime Rib frozen burgers $12.99.
Don’t Miss: Fat Free Salad Dressing Brands
What Can I Use Whole30 Salad Dressing On
This whole30 dressing is really versatile in that it compliments many different dishes and adds the perfect amount of acidity and flavor! You can use it on a cooked salad or a fresh green salad and it will be a delicious addition to either! Here are a few recipes here on the blog that would pair well with this dressing:
Budget Tips For Whole30
One the biggest concerns people have when starting Whole30 is how they can make it fit into their budget. I get it it can look daunting when youre at the meat counter and theyre trying to get you to take out a bank loan in order to afford a grass-fed steak.
Luckily, there are some tricks to make this part easier. Heres what Ive learned to do.
Read Also: How To Get Salad Oil Out Of Clothes
Walmart Whole30 Refrigerated Items:
Both fresh pico and blended salsa can be picked up in the refrigerated produce area. At such great prices I can feel good about not making my own pico!
They carry a few different brands of organic and/or cage free eggs. The Walmart near me also stocks eggs from a local Minnesota farm at a price that cant be beat!
Walmart has fresh made guacamole, along with the individual packets of it all Whole30 compliant!
The almond milk is actually stocked in the pantry goods section of the store, but it made more sense for this post to put it in the refrigerated section, which is where youll be storing it! Walmart Whole30 almond milk options are limited, but enough to make it work! They carry three brands of Whole30 compliant nut milks, and for more on Whole30 compliant milk brands and options, check out the extensive list of Whole30 almond milks!
Here Are Some Other Favorite Whole30 Compliant Snack Bars:
- Primal Pacs. Jerky, protein bars, and other Whole30-approved meat snacks.
- Wild Zorra Bars. Meat and veggie protein bars with fun flavors like curry masala turkey with spinach and dates.
Unofficial Whole30 Compliant Bars
- RxBars. These sweet & simple protein bars never contain more than 7 ingredients, which are listed right on the packaging. Using dried egg whites for a major source of protein, these bars taste great while keeping you full.
- Yawp Bars. These nutrient-dense protein bars use whole, unprocessed ingredients and boast fun flavors like Coconut Chai!
- Larabars. These snack bars are a very popular Whole30 snack due to their wide array of flavors and availability at many grocery stores. These fruit and nut bars pack a great taste while staying complaint.
This is by far the best chimichurri you can find in a bottle. It tastes fresh and has all clean ingredients. Perfect on eggs, chicken, steak and over zucchini noodles its Whole30, keto and paleo
Read Also: Best Blue Cheese Salad Dressing
Breaking Down How To Make It
Dump all ingredients, except the herbs, and only 1/4 cup almond milk into immersion blender jar or another jar that isnt much wider than the immersion blender head. Push the head of the immersion blender into the jar all the way to the bottom then start to blend on medium speed first then increasing to high if necessary, until mixture at the bottom becomes thick and opaque.
Begin to raise the immersion blender a little at a time then press back down, to incorporate the remaining oil.
Once the mixture is entirely emulsified, thick, and white, remove blender and add the herbs.
Press immersion blender head down over herbs and blend, only enough to chop and incorporate herbs, moving around as needed. Add almond milk as desired to thin. Start with 1/4 cup and add more as you like, stirring with a spoon to incorporate.
Whole30 Asian Salad Dressing
Im pretty crazy about asian salad dressings sprinkle some of this on some chopped lettuce, slivered almonds, and sliced mandarin oranges youve got yourself an easy and tasty salad!
Also try mixing this dressing on your homemade burrito bowls or cauliflower fried rice for an asian spice zest.
Ingredients: Sesame Oil / Coconut Aminos / Red Pepper Flakes / Ground Ginger / Garlic / Extra Virgin Olive Oil / Salt
Difficulty Level: Easy. This recipe features a fairly short ingredient list, and making the dressing simply requires tossing ingredients in the food processor.
Where to Find the Recipe: You can find this recipe at Life Made Full!
Recommended Reading: Is Tuna Salad Good For Losing Weight
Whether Its Dipping Dunking Or Drizzling Youre After Weve Got It All Here With These 30 Whole30 Dressings Sauces & Marinades
Lets be honest. The Whole30 is pretty tough what with having to forgo gluten, grains, dairy, sugar, legumes and soy for an entire month. But its not impossible thanks to all the great recipes out there for dressing, drizzling, dipping, dunking, slathering and soaking all the veggies and proteins on your plate.< == That right there, is the secret sauce, so to speak, for surviving thriving on a Whole30.
Thats why weve hunted down and rounded up 30 of our fave Whole30-compliant Dressings, Sauces & Marinades to make your life easier. And tastier. And because we love any excuse to surf the web looking for delicious things to share with you. Weve even thrown in a few pre-made options at the end if youre pressed for time or just dont want to DIY it right now.
So, here you go 30 Whole30 Dressings, Sauces & Marinades to make you say Mmmmmmmmm..