Best High Protein Wraps For Lunch
If youre not eating this stuff out of the bowl, might as well wrap it chicken up in a tortilla for a high protein lunch! Its also slightly more filling when served as a lunch wrap.
With lots of wraps in the market these days, some are higher in protein than others. A Chick Fil A Grilled Chicken Cool Wrap has 42 grams of protein per wrap and an Oven Roasted Chicken Wrap from Subway has 38 grams of protein.
Honestly, I might stick with this chicken egg salad out of the bowl with 26 grams of protein per 1/3 cup. And life is better when you eat right out of the bowl, right? Dig in. Make life and meal prep simple with this classic southern chicken salad recipe.
Also Check: How Do You Make Taco Salad Shells
Chicken Salad Deviled Eggs
D. Durand Worthey Â» April 11, 2019
Simple, yet delicious is what were whipping up and serving as a party appetizer: Chicken Salad Deviled Eggs. Were sharing how to make chicken salad paired with deviled eggs. You can find the recipe down below, and plan to serve this chicken recipe at your next gathering!
How To Cook The Chicken
I like to air fry the chicken. Check out this Air Fryer Chicken Breast Recipe. You can also roast the chicken. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Add 2 chicken breasts to a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Bake the chicken for 16-20 minutes or until it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees. Use a meat thermometer.
Read Also: How To Make Yogurt Salad Dressing
Easy Chicken Salad Recipe With Eggs
This post may contain affiliate links which means we receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Let’s make the best chicken salad recipe with eggs you’ve ever had. This is a super simple and easy recipe made with shredded chicken, eggs, apples, and walnuts. It’s one of my family’s all time favorite meals!
Every week as I plan our menu, our favorite chicken egg salad usually always makes the cut. It’s one of our favorite meals, and I love that we can make it with whatever type of chicken we have on hand, whether it’s fresh, canned, or rotisserie chicken.
While we love making Asian chicken salad for appetizers, we’ve pretty much stuck with this easy open-faced chicken salad sandwich for weeknight dinners.
Old Fashioned Chicken Salad Tips And Tricks
I really love how easy it is to customize this old fashioned chicken salad to your own preferences! Here are a few ideas for you to try out with yours.
- If youd like a low-carb variation, try serving this old fashioned chicken salad on a bed of salad leaves with some avocado and tomatoes. Its an easy and delicious alternative to bread or a wrap! The lettuce leaf wrap I mentioned earlier is also a great way to make this a low-carb wrap.
- Take your time with the seasoning and add it bit by bit. Remember, you can always add more but you cant take it out once its there! Add your seasoning little by little and have a taste each time until you get the flavour you love best.
- If you want to add a bit of extra flavor, try adding some mustard to the mayonnaise!
- Add some sweet fruity goodness with a few red grapes quartered or halved.
- For some extra crunch, add some chopped-up toasted pecans to finish.
- Use rotisserie chicken for the BEST flavor and a super easy cheat!
Also Check: Can Pregnant Women Eat Salad
How Do You Make Plain Chicken Salad
I am not opposed to gourmet chicken salad with nuts, fruit, fancy spices and dried fruit. But for a sandwich, nothing beats this basic chicken salad recipe. Just those three simple ingredients, a sprinkle of salt and pepper, and no more.
If youre looking for a good, easy chicken salad recipe without celery, like my dad, this is it.
If you like your chicken salad without eggs , like I do, this will make your belly happy. Ive never really understood why people put boiled eggs in chicken salad. No thanks!
You dont really need a recipe, but Im including one at the end of this post so you can get the proportions right.
Now, Im pretty sure chicken salad is eaten everywhere from east to west, north to south and everywhere in between. But in my mind, its a quintessentially southern food, the kind of thing youll find at summer picnics or church potlucks or baby showers, served out of a big Tupperware bowl alongside the sweet tea, baked beans, potato salad, pimento cheese and mandarin orange JELL-O salad.
But no matter where yall are from, I know you can appreciate a good meal, especially a simple one that can be fancied up depending on the occasion.
Food History: Waldorf Salad
This chicken salad is made in the style of the classic Waldorf salad. Maître dhôtel Oscar Tschirky created Waldorf salad at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in New York City in 1893. Waldorf salad has gone through many iterations since then. But the general idea is a salad of chopped apples, celery, and walnuts, bound with mayonnaise and served with crisp lettuce.
Also Check: Tuna Salad Recipe 1 Can
Fancy Chicken Salad Recipe:
This old fashioned chicken salad recipe is full of surprises. The ingredients are unique, yet they come together to create a crunchy, sweet, fancy chicken salad.
- Diced chicken
- Canned Sweet Cherries
- Chopped Pecans
I love the crunchy factor that comes from the combination of the gherkins, celery and chopped pecans. And the sweet cherries give just enough sweetness. But, I would have to say that the peas are the most surprising ingredient.
If you arent into peas, then omit them. No harm done.
How To Make Pickle Chicken Salad
Heres what you need for the bulk of this pickle chicken salad:
- Rotisserie chicken breast
- Hard-boiled eggs
- Sweet relish
- Fresh dill
Chop, shred and combine all of the ingredients in a bowl. If Im using rotisserie chicken that doesnt have a ton of flavor, I like to heat it up in a pan and season it with salt, pepper, and maybe a little garlic before adding it to my recipe. A super quick, hot sear kind of brings it back to life and takes away any weird store-bought rotisserie texture, without giving it that re-cooked poultry flavor. Nobody wants their chicken salad tasting like its reheated leftovers.
Once you have the bulk of your pickle chicken salad tossed together, its time to make the dressing. For that you will need the following ingredients:
- Low-fat mayo
- Non-fat Greek yogurt
- Salt and pepper to taste
Whisk the ingredients together and add them to the pickle chicken salad in a large bowl. If you want to tweak the macros on the dressing and use all Greek yogurt, go for it! Youll save a little fat and add a little more protein to your salad. But not much. Its up to you. Either way you make it will be delicious.
Once its mixed I like to serve this pickle chicken salad on rice cakes, corn thins, crackers, or even on a sandwich. As an ever lighter snack, we love it in jicama tortillas or wrapped in lettuce. Its great stuffed in pitas with tons of sprouts and extra mustard! This is making me hungry.
You May Like: Is Tuna Salad Good For Diabetics
Best Chicken Salad Recipe
Chicken salad is one of those recipes where you think everyone should know how to make it but when it comes to it there are a lot of different ways it can go.
My goal in creating this recipe was to keep it easy with basic ingredients I had on hand.
My favorite chicken salad recipe is from Costco. They use a rotisserie chicken with mayonnaise and celery. If you ask me, this version is pretty darn close. This easy recipe makes for a quick dinner or lunch.
What Is The Best Bread To Use
One of the key ingredients that makes this a Southern Style Chicken Salad Sandwich is the bread we are putting it on. I think that bread is one of the most important ingredient in any sandwich. For this recipe, we love to use a soft, buttery, croissant roll. Although I am a strong proponent of the croissant roll, there are other options as well. It would taste great on some nice thick, crusty homemade bread, bagel or multi-grain bread. For a low carb option, you could also wrap it up in some lettuce!
Speaking of lettuce, I always recommend lining your bread with a layer of lettuce . This way, the chicken salad doesnt seep into the bread and make it soggy.
Read Also: Dollar Tree Glass Salad Plates
What Is The Best Chicken To Use For Chicken Salad
For this recipe, I would either use a Roasted Chicken or a Poached Chicken. In fact, you best bet is to probably just go out and grab a rotisserie chicken. Then it will already be cooked and ready to go! But, if you want to stick with white meat chicken breast, then Roasting it or Poaching it is the best way to go!
We often cook our chicken in an Instant Pot, which always works out great. It is quick, easy and the chicken turns out perfectly every time!
Tips For Making Chicken Salad:
- You can replace the mayo with mashed avocado and sour cream for a different version.
- Reduce the calories by using Greek yogurt in place of mayonnaise.
- You can cook your own chicken breasts or thighs in the crockpot, then use an electric hand mixer to shred the chicken for this recipe.
- Use canned chicken in a pinch.
You May Like: How To Make Tomato Salad
Ingredients For This Recipe
- Salt and pepper
While I love. love. love a good Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad with Grapes made with incredibly tasty lemon yogurt, nothing takes me back like this southern mayo-based recipe.
I like using premium white meat chicken for this recipe because it actually makes the salad juicer with less need for mayo.
Taste And Adjust Flavor
Now, it’s time to taste and adjust any flavors you want to enhance.
Is there enough tang and sweetness? If not, add a bit more relish.Hows the creaminess? Dollop in extra mayonnaise if you like.Need more salt or herbs? Just add more to taste.
Flex this recipe according to your palate. There are no rules here.
Also Check: How To Make Homemade Pasta Salad
Chicken And Egg Salad
- Pin for Later
This healthy chicken and egg salad is one of my go-to lunch recipes. It tastes amazing, is super easy to put together, and is perfect for meal prepping!
My parents would often make a version of this chicken and egg salad for Sunday family lunch .
So when I moved out and got my own place, it became a daily staple because its so healthy, easy to make, and inexpensive.
Now, almost 20 years later, I still whip up a batch at least once a month!
Tips For Making Southern Chicken Salad Sandwiches
- Resist the urge to add other mix-ins like nuts or fruits. Southern chicken salad is best when the ingredients are kept to a minimum, allowing the flavor of each element to shine. If you like chicken salad with fruit, try this one.
- Follow the preparation instructions for the eggs. Yes, mashing the cooked yolks with the mayo and mustard is an extra step, but its crucial to the final flavor and texture. Trust me.
- I find that the flavor is best the next day, once the chicken salad has had time to chill undisturbed in the fridge. I dont know why that is, but its true.
Also Check: Gluten Free Dairy Free Soy Free Salad Dressing
Healthy Chicken And Egg Salad
As we age, our metabolism slows down, and it becomes increasingly difficult to achieve a healthy weight. If you have the habit of eating fast food or restaurant salads, you should switch to eating more home-cooked meals for optimal health and weight management.
The key features of healthy chicken are skin-on chicken pieces that are dark meat, white meat, and preferably skin-on to get all the necessary nutrients while still tender and tasty.
Old Fashioned Chicken Salad Sandwich
Old Fashioned Chicken Salad Sandwiches! This classic comfort recipe is inspired by the one my grandma used to make when I was growing up. It includes chopped chicken, celery, boiled eggs, and pickle relish mixed in a mayonnaise/miracle whip dressing, but I also share some variations to try below if youre partial to nuts, grapes, or curry in your version.
This favorite meal from my childhood is always what I turn to when I need a little comfort Chicken Salad Sandwiches just cant be beat.
This dish takes me right back to my grandmothers kitchen table!
Don’t Miss: Salad Spoon And Fork Set
Notes About Chicken Salad With Cherries:
- I used a rotisserie chicken for this chicken salad with cherries and pecan recipe. You could also use a few cans of canned chicken breast, or poach your own chicken.
- This recipe easily doubles to serve a crowd. This also allows you to use the entire cans of cherries and peas.
- Substitute dried cherries for canned, if desired.
- This pecan cherry chicken salad calls for Royal Ann Canned cherries, but the regular canned cherries are perfectly delicious too.
- I prefer LeSeuer very small peas for this recipe. They are dainty and cute and very fancy.
- Use frozen peas instead of canned, or omit if peas arent your thing.
- For an extra fancy meal, serve on a croissant bun or mini Hawaiian bun.
Also Check: Crispy Chicken Salad Chick Fil A
Chicken Salad Recipe With Eggs: Best 7 Health Benefits
Try this tasty chicken salad recipe with eggs for a hearty meal thats quick and easy to make! Itll only take about 20 minutes from start to finish, so its perfect for those hectic mornings or afternoons.
Once youve mastered the basics of this recipe, feel free to experiment with different flavor combinations.
Don’t Miss: Where To Buy Salad Supreme Seasoning
Directions On Making Chicken Salad
The Best Old Fashioned Egg Salad Recipe
Old Fashioned Egg Salad is just like you remember from your childhood. Perfectly cooked hard boiled eggs are chopped and combined with mayonnaise, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, celery, scallion, parsley, kosher salt and pepper for a delicious salad. Serve over lettuce or on bread or toast if you would like. This is the best egg salad recipe!
Some of my favorite recipes are ones from my childhood. Experimenting in the kitchen during my youthful days was usually around lunchtime in the summer months. With my Mom and Dad working and me enjoying the freedom of no school, I freely roamed the kitchen. Old Fashioned Egg Salad was a lunchtime favorite.
Boiling the perfect hard cooked egg was a challenge I wanted to master as a young chef in the making. As a faithful viewer of The French Chef, Julia Child taught me all I needed to know about hard boiled eggs.
Also Check: Broccoli Salad Chicken Salad Chick
Expert Tips And Recipe Variations
To mix your classic macaroni salad up, you can add drained green olives, vegetables like crunchy diced bell pepper, or even sweet pickles . Alternative fresh herbs are often used to add additional seasoning. Fresh dill is a common choice.
Not a fan of elbow macaroni? Feel free to experiment with different pasta sizes as well. If you choose something other than the macaronis and go with farfalle, pasta shells, or fusilli it can bring a texture change that a lot of people really love as unique.
How To Make Macaroni Salad
Whats Needed To Make This Recipe:
Ingredients at a glance, full printable recipe found below.
- Uncooked pasta I used elbow macaroni noodles but any short pasta noodle would work. Use gluten-free pasta if you are avoiding gluten.
- Red bell pepper any color would work.
- Green bell pepper any color would work.
- Red onion can substitute with green onion.
- Dill pickle you can substitute with sweet pickles if you prefer a touch of sweetness.
- Hardboiled eggs omit to make this recipe vegan.
- Mayonnaise use vegan mayo to make this recipe vegan. We like Hellmans.
- Apple cider vinegar white vinegar would also work.
- Yellow mustard you can also use Dijon mustard or spicy brown mustard. Be sure to read the labels if you have dietary restrictions.
- Sea salt use half the amount if you are using table salt.
- Ground black pepper
At a glance, full printable recipe below.
- Cook pasta, drain and rinse with cool water.
- Mix together pasta, veggies, pickles and chopped egg.
- Mix together macaroni salad dressing ingredients.
- Pour dressing over macaroni mixture, stir to combine and chill.
Read Also: Best Dressing For Chicken Salad
Recommended Reading: Chicken Salad Chick Baton Rouge