Making Tuna Salad Recipe In Advance
Make Ahead: Tuna salad tastes best cold. After making one, let your healthy tuna salad sit in the fridge for at least 30 minutes and you will see what I mean.
Store: Here is the best part tuna salad can be refrigerated for up to 5 days. It is perfect for meal prep school and work lunches, cold summer dinner, weekend easy lunch. I like to make tuna salad in a large Pyrex glass bowl, then just pop a lid on and refrigerate.
Tuna salad has really grown on me. It is not something I ate growing up in Ukraine but tastes evolve!
Why I Love This Recipe
You know those recipes that take you back to a simpler time? This classic tuna salad recipe is definitely one of those. As soon as I take a bite, Im immediately transported back to my Moms kitchen table. Its creamy, crunchy, filling, and healthy, so I feel good about feeding it to my kids, too.
This classic tuna salad is also lightening quick to throw together! Its ready in minutes and always handy to have when hunger strikes. This recipe is one where you probably already have everything on hand. Simple ingredients come together to create a delicious meal that is much more than the sum of its parts. The fact that it is something that both kids and adults like just adds to the magic, if you ask me!
Throughout the years my Mom has made her tuna egg salad a bit healthier by swapping in some yogurt for mayonnaise. This recipe still has a *bit* of mayo because who doesnt love that creamy and nostalgic flavor but the tangy yogurt, mustard, and lemon pepper also really shine through. Celery adds crunch, dill pickles add a briny, herby kick and chopped onions give a nice bite.
And if youve never tried adding eggs to your tuna salad, Im here to convince you that its simply the best. Not only do you get an extra hit of protein, but the boiled egg yolks add an extra layer of creamy goodness that is to die for. Seriously folks. Tuna egg salad = the BEST tuna salad in town. Mama knows best.
Tips For The Best Tuna Sandwich
- Toast the bread for your tuna sandwich to help it hold up to the tuna and to keep it from getting soggy. Try a hearty whole grain bread for a healthy and satisfying tuna fish sandwich.
- Make this tuna sandwich recipe your own by adding lettuce, tomato, avocado, cheese, or whatever you like in your tuna sandwich.
- Tuna sandwiches are best when you serve them right after making them. To make ahead, prepare the tuna salad, refrigerate, and wait to assemble your sandwich right before serving.
- For a low carb meal, serve your tuna stuffed into hollowed out tomatoes or in avocado halves.
Recommended Reading: Wendy’s Taco Salad Carbs
There Are Two More Things That I Always Make Sure Of When We Have This For Dinner:
And that in my mind is the best tuna salad recipe one that you can throw together in 5 to 10 minutes, depending on how fast you grab things out of the fridge and throw them in the bowl.
It really doesnt matter if you dont have one of the ingredients you can see here in the photos. Make your own version and it will still be pretty, healthy and delicious.
This is also a surprisingly filling meal. You only need a little bit of each ingredient to make a gigantic tuna salad!
Best Tuna Salad Recipe
Ive been eating tuna salad as long as I can remember. Grandma made it, Mom made it and now Im hooked and I turn to it for lunch time and time again.
Canned tuna will forever be one of those things I just truly appreciate. Its easy to store, its inexpensive and it always perfect for quick recipes.
Of course canned tuna is pretty bland as is but when you add some tart fresh lemon, rich and creamy mayo, and some fresh herbs it becomes something thats even fit for a fast dinner.
And who doesnt love those little bits of veggies dotted through for textural contrast? Its just simple food at its best!
Recommended Reading: Is Cobb Salad Keto Friendly
A Light And Refreshing Salad
If your goal this summer is to stay fit and healthy then this is the salad for you! This tuna salad has ZERO mayonnaise unlike your typical tuna salad thats packed with it. Instead, this Tuna Pasta Salad is tossed in a super simple fresh lemon vinaigrette made with extra virgin olive oil.
I love the refreshing taste and how light it sits. Its the perfect compliment to the tuna and all the veggies.
Im a girl who loves her carbs so I added just a cup of pasta, but if youre wanting to go low carb you can definitely omit it. Honestly, I like it with the pasta because it makes it more filling for eating as a meal.
How To Make This Recipe
You May Like: Chicken Salad Sandwich At Arby’s
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- Low FODMAP friendly! If you struggle with stomach issues, you may have been prescribed a low FODMAP diet. If so, this tuna salad is going to become your favorite new lunch recipe! Even if you are not low FODMAP, this healthy tuna salad is so flavorful and the perfect change to your typical tuna salad recipe.
- Easy to make! All you need are a few veggies finely chopped, tahini, vinegar and a can of tuna for a simple lunch anytime! No mayo in this tuna salad!
- Great for all diets! This healthy tuna salad recipe is Whole30, paleo, gluten free, dairy free, egg free and low FODMAP friendly!
Easy Tuna Salad Recipe
This easy tuna salad recipe makes the best tuna sandwiches! This classic tuna salad is the perfect recipe to make ahead for quick lunches.
When youre craving a tuna sandwich, you need a simple tuna salad recipe that will give you a crave-worthy tuna fish sandwich. This easy tuna salad is made with just a handful of ingredients. Its the best tuna salad!
This tuna salad is quick and easy to make, and it keeps well in the refrigerator for a few days. You can make it ahead and have a healthy, satisfying lunch ready to go. Use this tuna salad to make a classic tuna salad sandwich, served on a croissant, roll or bread. Its also delicious on crackers! For a low carb meal, serve your tuna salad wrapped in lettuce leaves or on a bed of greens as a salad.
If you like this tuna sandwich recipe, youre going to love my healthy chicken salad recipe and my easy recipe for classic egg salad. These are the three recipes that I rotate between when I make sandwiches for lunch on the weekend. If you asked me to choose a favorite between these three easy sandwich recipes, I couldnt. Theyre all so good!
I use plain Greek yogurt in my tuna salad recipe. You can use mayonnaise instead, if you prefer. I like to make tuna salad without mayo, using Greek yogurt, because it makes a healthy tuna salad. You can also use mashed avocado to make a dairy-free tuna sandwich without mayo!
Read Also: Ingredients For Tuna Fish Salad
How To Make Mediterranean Tuna Salad
It takes about 15 minutes to make this delicious summer salad!
- Add red bell pepper, red onion, cucumber, albacore tuna fish, garlic, chickpeas, black olives, and lemon zest in a large mixing bowl and mix.
- Drizzle olive oil, lemon juice, and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and serve cold. Enjoy!
What Is The Best Salad Dressing For A Tuna Fish Salad
To keep the salad super super simple, I always just drizzle over a bit of olive oil and some balsamic glaze.
I dont feel like I need a more complicated or heavier dressing. Occasionally I even forget to add any dressing at all, and to be honest I dont really miss it.
Oh, I do tend to add a bit of mayonnaise to my bowl, though. I find it goes really well, especially with the tuna!
Recommended Reading: Apple Cider Vinaigrette Salad Dressing
How Long Does Tuna Salad Last In The Fridge
Tuna salad can be stored in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to a week. And of course, sandwiches are just one of many dishes you can make with tuna salad. Mix in some macaroni for an easy pasta salad side dish, or pack it into avocado halves or scooped-out tomatoes for a gluten-free lunch. A few spoonfuls of tuna salad with crackers is also one of my favorite afternoon snacks.
Variations For Tuna Salad Recipe
- Curried tuna salad: Add desired amount of fresh curry powder for curried tuna salad. I used the same yellow curry powder I make chicken curry with and salad turns out so flavorful!
- Pasta tuna salad: Mix with cooked whole wheat macaroni pasta for healthy tuna pasta salad.
- Avocado: Love avocado? Substitute mayo with mashed avocado.
- Egg: Add a few chopped hard boiled eggs my fave too!
Recommended Reading: Can I Eat Chicken Salad On Keto
Canned Tuna Recipes That Go Way Beyond Tuna Salad
Tuna salad is a classic dish, but if you’re wondering what to do with tuna beyond that old standby, you’re in luck. There are plenty of more exciting canned tuna recipes, including flavorful pasta, flaky empanadas, open-faced sandwiches, and fresh salads that never see a drop of mayonnaise. Ahead, discover our 27 best tuna recipes that make for a refreshing lunch or dinner.
- Condé Nast Spotlight
- Do Not Sell My Personal Info
Food Innovation Group
This Is The Classic Tuna Salad Recipe Youve Been Longing To Make
Theres something to be said for those classic recipes that remind us of home and childhood. Think MEATLOAF, CHILI, TOMATO SOUP and GRILLED CHEESE. Now that we have your attention, heres another youre sure to appreciate. This CLASSIC TUNA SALAD RECIPE that you can pull together in minutes and enjoy in so many different ways!
Just to be clear, this is not the can of tuna stirred up with a dollop of mayonnaise and a sprinkle of salt and pepper recipe. Instead, this is the real deal. Youre about to enjoy a homemade tuna salad that evokes a welcome meal at favourite lunch counter, delicatessen or family-run restaurant.
Were so confident youre going to love it, were going to encourage you to share the LINK with your friends on social media and Pinterest. This classic recipe is ready for new eyes.
Read Also: Cooking Potatoes For Potato Salad
How To Make Healthy Tuna Salad
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the ingredients for the dressing: Greek yogurt, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, salt, pepper and parsley until well combined.
- Add the drained tuna on top, along with the celery and red onions and gently mix
- You can serve it immediately or let it cool in the fridge for half hour.
A Healthier Tuna Salad
A lot people who are on a weight loss diet will turn to tuna because of its high level of protein 3 oz of albacore tuna has 20g of protein but only about 100 calories. However, if youre eating tuna as a traditional tuna salad with mayonnaise, you may be consuming unnecessary calories and fat. 1 cup of mayo has more than 1400 calories and 24g of fat.
This healthy tuna salad is full of flavor, light on calories and super easy to whip for lunch any day of the week! Swap the mayo for greek yogurt and dijon mustard and save those calories for a treat later.
Read Also: Chicken Salad Chick Rome Ga
Recipe Notes And Tips
- Cut the vegetables into small and evenly sized pieces. They will be easier to combine when you mix it and it will be easier to eat.
- Use fresh lemon juice rather than bottled. It has a much brighter and fresher flavor and makes all the difference!
- Chickpeas provide a good amount of protein and fiber and turn this salad into a fuller meal. You can substitute these with black beans or white beans if thats what you have.
This Mediterranean Tuna Salad has definitely made our favorites list. The flavors are amazing and so refreshing. Perfect quick summer salad. I like to make this for lunch or make it for quick family dinners.
Tips From The Betty Crocker Kitchens
- tip 1 Cut the celery and any other vegetables youd like to add into a small dice so its still easy to make a sandwich. 1 to 2 tablespoons of chopped sweet red bell pepper, dill pickle, pitted olives, or water chestnuts are all good stir-ins for the tuna salad.
- tip 2 Mayonnaise or salad dressingwhats the difference? They are both thick, creamy dressings that contain vegetable oil, lemon juice or vinegar and seasonings. Mayonnaise also contains egg yolk and is less sweet than salad dressing. They can be used interchangeably so you decide which you prefer.
- tip 3 Stuff tuna salad in hollowed out tomatoes or avocado halves for a fresh take on lunch.
- tip 4 Swap out the tuna for chicken or ham, adding some spicy brown or Dijon mustard with the mayonnaise in the dressing.
Also Check: Salad Diet To Lose 10 Pounds In A Week
Ingredients For Tuna Salad Recipe
Healthy tuna salad recipe only takes 15 minutes of prep time. Simply mix the tuna salad ingredients, then place in the refrigerator to chill.
- Canned tuna: Canned tuna divides into 2 main categories: packed in oil or water. Then pick from based on your budget: Albacore tuna has less fishy taste and white meaty texture or yellowfin/skipjack/light tuna is tan to pink in colour and has more strong fish taste. Lastly, the texture: chunky or whole.
I always buy canned light tuna packed in water as I do not see a need for extra oil as we drain it anyways. Also chunky one vs. whole because its cheaper.
- Mayo + plain Greek yogurt: The best combination to get that traditional tuna salad taste but with less calories. Use a mayo made with avocado oil and Greek yogurt with at least 2% fat for the tastiest healthy tuna salad results.
- Dill pickles: Add a briny taste with sweet and sour notes that really make this tuna recipe outstanding.
- Celery and red onion: Add crunch with bold earthy and sweet taste.
- Fresh garlic: Because garlic is always a must in any dish, hands down.
- Lemon juice: Adds tang and brightness.
- Salt and pepper: To season, adjust as needed.
More Tuna Salad Ideas
- Egg: Growing up, my mom would often make us tuna salad with egg. You can do this by mixing some chopped hard boiled egg into your tuna salad. Its like a tuna salad and egg salad in one, and it is delicious! Plus you get even more satiating protein when you add hard boiled eggs to your tuna sandwich.
- Lemon Juice: Lemon juice is a classic tuna salad ingredient. It brightens up the flavor of tuna salad.
- Mustard: Do you like your tuna salad with Dijon mustard or yellow mustard? Mustard is another way to add a different flavor dimension to your tuna fish.
- Herbs: Fresh herbs are a great way to change up the flavor of tuna salad. Try parsley, dill or chives.
- Avocado: Avocado can act as a binder and replace the mayo or Greek yogurt in tuna salad. Its a great way to add healthy fat and flavor! Using avocado instead of mayo or Greek yogurt makes dairy-free tuna salad.
- Vegetables: Try adding finely chopped crunchy veggies such as carrots, bell pepper or cucumber for extra crunch and to add more nutrition to your tuna salad.
- Apple: Chopped apple adds a surprisingly delicious sweet twist to this tuna recipe.
- Chickpeas: Either mashed or coarsely chopped, chickpeas can help to stretch your tuna fish so you can use less tuna and get more tuna salad. Chickpeas are a great source of vegetarian protein.
- Capers: Capers add a salty, briny flavor to tuna salad.
Recommended Reading: Pasta Salad With Italian Dressing