More Tuna Salad Ideas
- Egg: Growing up, my mom would often make us tuna salad with egg. You can do this by mixing some chopped hard boiled egg into your tuna salad. Its like a tuna salad and egg salad in one, and it is delicious! Plus you get even more satiating protein when you add hard boiled eggs to your tuna sandwich.
- Lemon Juice: Lemon juice is a classic tuna salad ingredient. It brightens up the flavor of tuna salad.
- Mustard: Do you like your tuna salad with Dijon mustard or yellow mustard? Mustard is another way to add a different flavor dimension to your tuna fish.
- Herbs: Fresh herbs are a great way to change up the flavor of tuna salad. Try parsley, dill or chives.
- Avocado: Avocado can act as a binder and replace the mayo or Greek yogurt in tuna salad. Its a great way to add healthy fat and flavor! Using avocado instead of mayo or Greek yogurt makes dairy-free tuna salad.
- Vegetables: Try adding finely chopped crunchy veggies such as carrots, bell pepper or cucumber for extra crunch and to add more nutrition to your tuna salad.
- Apple: Chopped apple adds a surprisingly delicious sweet twist to this tuna recipe.
- Chickpeas: Either mashed or coarsely chopped, chickpeas can help to stretch your tuna fish so you can use less tuna and get more tuna salad. Chickpeas are a great source of vegetarian protein.
- Capers: Capers add a salty, briny flavor to tuna salad.
Ways To Eat Tuna Salad
Though its great straight out of the bowl, here are our 3 favorite ways to use tuna salad:
How Do You Make Tuna Taste Less Fishy
If it is in lemon juice, or another acid that penetrates the skin to kill its odor, soak it in lemon juice, or really any acid that does so. Citrus, orange, vinegar, and tomato sauce fall into this category. Routhenstein suggests marinated lemons or vinegar-based marinades to gently wash away any fishy flavors.
Read Also: Chicken Salad At Chick Fil A
Faqs And Tips For Making The Best Tuna Salad
Can you eat canned tuna raw?
You can definitely eat canned tuna without heating it. Tuna is cooked before its canned so it really isnt possibly to eat raw canned tuna.
Is canned tuna healthy?
Absolutely! Everything is healthy in moderation, but tuna is a lean protein and works in many different recipes, so its a great choice for a healthy meal. Since its a large fish, it tends to be high in mercury, so you should be cautious not to eat too much, too often.
What can I mix with tuna instead of mayo?
Instead of using mayonnaise in your tuna salad, you can use a simple olive oil based dressing like this one that uses lemon juice and Dijon mustard.
What can you eat tuna with besides bread?
You can serve this tuna salad recipe on a bed of lettuce, in a tortilla wrap, on your favorite bun, or even in a lettuce wrap.
How Do You Prepare Tuna To Eat
35 Yummy Nutritionist-Approved Ways to Eat Canned Tuna
You May Like: Wooden Salad Bowl Serving Set
What Can I Put On Tuna Instead Of Mayo
Dressing ingredients such as mustard, lemon juice or vinegar, and spices can all be used to make a salad dressing-type sauce for tuna. This will keep the tuna salad from becoming too dry and give it extra flavor! Plain yogurt is another good substitute for mayo, especially if you like the tangy taste.
Other options would be to use half or even a quarter of the amount of mayo called for in any of the above recipes to reduce the calories and fat. Another idea is to try swapping out regular mayonnaise with low-fat or light mayonnaise, which you can find at most grocery stores.
What Is A Good Side For Tuna Melts
Crisp toasted bread, topped with tuna salad, tomato, and oozing melted cheese who doesnt love a tuna melt! But the question is, what do you serve it with?
We think that crispy potato wedges and a fresh salad make the perfect sides for a tuna melt.
Light and fluffy potato wedges will mop up any flavorsome juices which ooze from the tuna melt, and salad leaves and tomato will add a fresh and crisp element to the plate.
Recommended Reading: Oxo Salad Chopper And Bowl
Read Also: What To Put On Tuna Salad Sandwich
Our Favourite Easy Tuna Salad
Posted | Updated Jan 28, 2021 by Helen | |
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure for more info.
You might think you dont need a recipe for a tuna salad, especially an easy tuna salad, but I really wanted to share this one with you. Its healthy, delicious, extremely quick, and looks quite impressive, dont you think?
I know what youre thinking. Who needs a recipe for a tuna fish salad?
Well, I guess youre right you dont. But one of my favourite types of recipes to post are those that hardly need a recipe.
Because if youre like me its sometimes IDEAS you need. What to have for dinner when youve got precisely zero time to shop that day and a maximum half hour to get the meal on the table.
Mr. Scrummy and I have been having this easy tuna salad for dinner regularly for a couple of years now. We started off having it on warm summer evenings, but now its in our regular meal rotation all year round.
And in fact Mr. Scrummy says hed be quite happy to eat this meal every single night!
Im not sure how long it would take for him to get bored of it if he did do that, but it really is VERY GOOD. And trust me, its the simplest thing. As long as you have a can of tuna fish in your pantry, you can make it with salad ingredients that youve probably got in your fridge most of the time.
Great additions, if you happen to have them, would be:
Can You Make Canned Tuna Taste Good
You need to stir some Worcestershire sauce into the tuna then allow it to cook. If desired, eat right away. Cook with the desired texture. Adding cheese to this also brings out the flavor. While the tuna cooks, take the lid off the pan, put the cheese back on, cover it with a lid, and let it melt over the cheese until you take it off the grill.
Don’t Miss: Why Does Salad Make My Stomach Hurt
How To Eat Tuna Salad Without Bread:
Use a low carb tortilla and a handful of dark leafy greens for a satisfying sandwich. Enjoy some cherry tomatoes and cucumber slices on the side. You can also use lettuce leafs in place of the tortillas to cut your carbs even more.
A big scoop of the Everything Tuna Salad on a bed of greens is a delicious Keto dinner choice. Add additional veggies like tomatoes, avocado chunks, red pepper, cheese, cubes, cucumbers, hard-boiled egg slices, and crumbled bacon to fill the salad out.
Cut open avocados and remove the pit. Scoop a little bit of the avocado from the center to make the hole bigger. Place a large scoop of tuna in the center of each half. You can also stuff tomato halves the same way.
Another low carb option for eating tuna salad is to slice cucumbers and use them as chips to dip the tuna salad.
What To Eat With Tuna Salad: 12 Mouth
Tuna salads come in a lot of types.
And you can add almost any types of ingredients you want. However, the most popular tuna salad is the Mexican one that contains beans and hot peppers.
While you can have a delicious tuna salad by itself and call it a meal, there are also certain side dishes that will ensure an even better culinary experience if you like them along with your tuna salad.
You can pair tuna salads with onion rings, french fries, vegetable salads, coleslaw, potato chips, and many other dishes including soups and meat dishes.
Read Also: General Finishes Salad Bowl Finish
Ways To Enjoy This Spicy Tuna Salad
- Make sushi: For the adventurous , this is a great way to make a super affordable and delicious spicy tuna roll at home.
- Sandwiches and wraps: Just like classic tuna salad, this salad makes a killer sandwich. Layer it up with sliced cucumbers, tomatoes, sprouts, carrots, and greens.
- Sushi burritos: You can also make the easier sushi burrito by wrapping this spicy tuna salad up with some cooked rice and veggies in a large piece of nori. Drizzle some extra soy on top and add a very thin layer of wasabi for even more spice.
- Salad: We love using tuna salad as a protein for salads and this one is no different. Grab a big bowl of greens or shredded cabbage. Top with veggies and consider doubling up the dressing so you can add the extra to the salad as well. Crumbled seaweed on top is a great addition as well.
- Sushi Bowls: Make your own sushi bowls. Just grabbed some cooked white or brown rice, chopped cucumbers, shredded carrots, and avocado. Top with spicy tuna and you have a healthy meal ready to go.
Recommended Reading: Where Can I Buy A Salad
Tips For The Best Tuna Sandwich
- Toast the bread for your tuna sandwich to help it hold up to the tuna and to keep it from getting soggy. Try a hearty whole grain bread for a healthy and satisfying tuna fish sandwich.
- Make this tuna sandwich recipe your own by adding lettuce, tomato, avocado, cheese, or whatever you like in your tuna sandwich.
- Tuna sandwiches are best when you serve them right after making them. To make ahead, prepare the tuna salad, refrigerate, and wait to assemble your sandwich right before serving.
- For a low carb meal, serve your tuna stuffed into hollowed out tomatoes or in avocado halves.
Also Check: How To Make Pasta Salad Dressing
More Potluck Salad Favorites
If youre looking for other potluck favorites, try our classic Macaroni Salad, which is the recipe this tuna mac salad was derived from, or a hearty helping of Bacon Ranch Red Potato Salad, Hawaiian Macaroni Salad or lightened up Egg Salad. For a unique spin on classic tuna salad, Tuna Salad Lettuce Wraps are a fun twist and Tuna Pasta Salad is also quite delicious. My friends have some great options too, like Cashew Chicken Pasta Salad and Italian Cucumber Tomato Salad.
Why I Love Healthy Tuna Salad Recipe
Just before Marc and I went to Thailand, we took the train to Almaty. It was a long ride. We needed food, but I wanted to be careful not to bring anything that would spoil.
This no mayo tuna salad was the perfect option protein to keep us full and an oil-based dressing to bring the flavor. Plus, it stayed pretty cold in a our makeshift cooler . Were so classy when we take the train.
There really isnt much else to say about this. Its just healthy tuna salad without mayo, which is very similar to my chicken salad without mayo, and its just as delicious.
More tuna recipes:tuna cakes
Also Check: Miller’s Ale House Salad
Sides Dishes To Serve With Fish
1. Cut apple in quarters remove core and chop. 2. In a medium size bowl, mix all salad ingredients, except tuna. 3. Gently fold in tuna. 4. Make sandwiches,using lettuce and whole-grain bread , and fill with tuna apple salad.
STellas tuna fish casserole has peas, celery, mushrooms, bell peppers, and onions no spinach. I usually serve it with a Bibb lettuce salad and multigrain rolls. Sometimes I make wilted lettuce instead of a normal salad. posted by STella Fabula at 10:22 PM on June 4, 2019
The Best Grilled Tuna Steak With Salad Recipes on Yummly | Grilled Tuna Steak, Asian-style Red Cabbage Coleslaw, Grilled Tuna, Arugula, Fennel, Black-eyed Peas And Tomato Salad, Seared Tuna Salad With Miso Dressing
This salad with tuna is best enjoyed right away, so I always recommend prepping it just before serving. It literally takes 5 minutes! That being said, you can put it together and store it in an airtight container in the fridge for a day or two .
Tuna spinach salad with tomatoes and mozzarella is a light, fresh and healthy lunch! Serve it as a lettuce wrap, regular wrap, with crackers for snacking, or make it into a melt with extra cheese on top!
You May Like: What Are The Ingredients For A Cobb Salad
Top 10 Tuna Salad Recipes Just Like Grandma Made
Adding seeds to your salad gives it a hearty bite and a serious nutrient bump. Hemp seeds can help lower your cholesterol and provide a source of complete protein. Sunflower seeds are rich in protein, antioxidants and healthy fats.
olives, mini bagels, bell peppers, tomato, salad, tuna, drained and flaked and 2 more Healthy Tuna Salad Recipe Went Here, 8 This rice vinegar, soy sauce, shredded carrot, sesame oil, cilantro and 7 more
A Mediterranean tuna casserole seasoned with garlic powder, oregano, and basil makes a complete dinner. Add some Asian inspiration to tuna salad seasoned with ground ginger, chili pepper flakes and cilantro. A few splashes of lemon juice adds a refreshing, acidic brightness to tuna salads.
Place some salad greens down the center of the wrap, add a pouch of the Thai Chili Style Tuna and a little siracha sauce if you like it more spicy. Wrap it up and enjoy!
Read page 2 of the What can I add to tuna or chicken salad for a sandwich? discussion from the Chowhound General Discussion, Chicken food community. Join the discussion today.
Recommended Reading: Taco Salad Dip With Meat
Read Also: Plastic Salad Containers With Lids
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- Easy to make: Just add all of the ingredients to a bowl and mix to combine. No cooking involved to make this tuna salad sandwich!
- Make ahead: Make up a batch of this tuna fish sandwich recipe and enjoy it throughout the week for easy to grab lunches.
- Delicious: This is no ordinary tuna salad. Its full of texture and fresh and zingy flavors.
The Perfect Tuna Salad
No matter how creative or spontaneous or inventive I aim to be with my weekday lunches, at some point I always end up craving just simple a tuna salad sandwich. Its lunchtime comfort food. Has it been a while since you last had tuna salad? Heres my favorite, most basic recipe. I think its just about perfect.
Theres not much to making tuna salad, really. My husband often just mixes the tuna with mayo and a few cracks of black pepper and calls it good! I like to add some crunch to balance out the cream, and so I mix in some chopped celery and shallots when I make it. A spoonful of pickle relish might not be the way you grew up with it, but try it the sweet-and-sour pickles add just a little something extra to each bite.
I also like water-packed tuna, partly because I think it has a cleaner tuna flavor. But if youre a fan of oil-packed tuna, by all means use that!
Don’t Miss: Does Chicken Salad Chick Delivery
A Fresh And Flavorful Tuna Salad Recipe
Ill admit that my tuna salad recipe has a few more ingredients in it than a classic tuna and mayo version but these fresh, flavorful and crunchy ingredients are what make this tuna salad the best tuna salad recipe, at least in my book.
I love the flavor of fresh herbs, so I chop up some fresh dill, and add that inhuge flavor boost!
I also love the sweet-spiciness of a little touch of very finely minced red onion, as well as some finely diced crunchy celery so those tasty ingredients get tossed into my prep bowl as well.
And for even more flavor, I add a touch of either yellow mustard or Dijon mustard, plus a kiss of lemon zest, sea salt, and freshly cracked black pepper.
Because Im not a big fan of what I consider too much mayo, I keep my tuna salad on the lighter side, which makes this a slightly lower-calorie and lower-fat tuna salad recipebonus!
The combination of fresh, flavorful and crunchy add-ins give an otherwise typical tuna salad a big flavor pop with a bit of a kick and some extra texturea total must for me and my tastebuds!
Plus, this salad makes for the best tuna salad sandwich!
Just add a bed of fresh lettuce and some sprouts or micro greens onto some rustic bread or a toasted everything bagel, and youve got an incredibly satisfying and healthy meal.
How to Make Tuna Salad, My Way: