What Are The Health Benefits Of Cucumbers
Cucumbers are full of vitamins and nutrients, and are low calorie, low sodium and low in carbohydrates. This veggie contains Vitamin C, Vitamin K, magnesium, potassium and manganese. Cucumbers are primarily made out of water, which means that consuming cucumbers will help you stay hydrated.
I make this salad all summer long. It uses simple ingredients that I always have on hand, and pairs perfectly with salmon, roasted chicken and steak for a healthy and hearty meal.
Cracker Barrel Cucumber Tomato And Onion Salad
It has been a while since Cracker Barrel has made a new addition to their side dishes, Cracker Barrel Cucumber Tomato and Onion Salad is one of their new side dishes. This is a great light side dish that is so easy to make. This side salad is packed full of fresh cucumbers, grape tomatoes, and white onions.
What Are The Best Tomatoes For A Salad
Our first choice would be cherry or grape tomatoes. They are sweet, tangy, crunchy, and a great choice to use in salads and many other recipes. Heirloom tomatoes are just as great to use in salads and come in so many different pretty colors. Our next option would be to use vine ripe tomatoes. They are all full of flavor.
Recommended Reading: Seasonal Vegetable Salad North Italia
Ingredients Needed For Cucumber Tomato Onion Salad:
For this gorgeous summer salad, I chose seasonal ingredients that I crave this time of year!
Heres whats in this cucumber tomato salad:
- Cucumbers Light and refreshing with the perfect crunch.
- Cherry tomatoes Tomatoes are especially delicious in the summertime! Depending on the size, cut these in half or quarter them. You can also use chopped Roma tomatoes.
- Red onion Red onions are great for salads because they have a beautiful color and a more mild, sweet flavor than other onion varieties.
- Dressing This salad is tossed in a tasty homemade red wine vinaigrette. Its a simple mix of olive oil, red wine vinegar, garlic, salt & pepper.
- Feta cheese The creamy, salty flavor feta gives to the salad is absolutely fabulous. You can also use goat cheese for a little more tang, or even gorgonzola or blue cheese crumbles.
Cucumber Tomato Onion Salad
All of the best summer produce! This cucumber tomato onion salad is an easy side dish that highlights the red, juicy tomatoes and the crisp, cool cucumbers of the season. Dressed with fresh basil, olive oil, and vinegar, it’s a simple and healthy recipe that you can stir together in minutes. Serve it with grilled hamburgers, fried chicken, pulled pork, pasta, or fresh seafood!
You May Like: Chickpea Salad With Fresh Herbs And Scallions
Easy Cucumber Tomato Onion Salad
May 28, 2020
This easy cucumber tomato onion salad is a delicious, refreshing side dish perfect for easy meals and great for summer.
This salad has been on our dinner table since I was a little girl. My mom loved a quick, simple salad to serve with dinner and I have continued that tradition with my family. My kids love salad, in all shapes and forms. A meal just isnt complete without some form of vegetable dressed with a simple vinaigrette.
What Kind Of Cucumbers To Use
Im using the long English cucumbers in this recipe because the peels are nice and thin and the seeds are also really small and easy to eat.
If you dont have English cucumbers, you can easily use regular cucumbers that are peeled.
If the seeds are too coarse, feel free to scoop them out before chopping and adding to the salad.
You May Like: Is Salad Good For Diarrhea
Recipe For Cucumber Tomato Salad
So what goes in a Cucumber Tomato Salad? The ingredient list is short with common substitutions.
- Medium/large tomatoes: Any variety of tomatoes will work. Heirloom tomatoes win for their delectable taste and texture but Romas and Early Girls will work too. Cherry and grape tomatoes sliced in half work great too.
- Cucumbers: English cucumber is ideal for this recipe because of it’s low moisture content. Persian cucumbers are a close second.
- Onions: Any sweet onion will work: white or red are best, sweet yellow onion works great too. Green onion adds great flavor too.
- Herbs: Any fresh herbs will work but favorites are parsley, dill, and basil. You can also swap dried herbs in place of fresh using a ratio of 1:2 .
- Oils: The two oils I regularly use in this salad are Perfect Supplement’s MCT oil and La Tourangelle Roasted Walnut Oil. Avocado oil and extra virgin olive oil are close contenders. You’re welcome to use whatever healthy oil you prefer. I would go easy on the oils with very strong flavor .
Cucumber Tomato Salad With Greek Dressing
When its blazing hot outside, this cucumber tomato salad is exactly what I want to eat. This recipe is crisp and refreshing, light yet satisfying.
This salad features fresh cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, not-too-much red onion, fresh herbs and optional feta cheese. Once tossed in Greek dressing, this basic combination is further proof that summertime produce doesnt need much help to taste spectacular.
Bring this tomato cucumber salad recipe to your next get-together, or serve it at home as a side salad. It keeps well for several days in the refrigerator.
Also Check: Best Ever Chicken Salad Recipe
Tips For Making Marinated Cucumber Tomato And Onion Salad:
This is a basic, simple recipe that can be easily customized.
- Add some chopped fresh dill or some dried Italian seasoning for more flavor.
- Use red onion instead of sweet onion.
- Use cherry tomatoes instead of regular tomatoes.
- Instead of apple cider vinegar, use rice wine vinegar, distilled white vinegar, or red wine vinegar.
- Olive oil can be used instead of vegetable oil.
- Peel the cucumbers or leave the skin on.
More Great Summer Recipes:
Play With The Flavors
The thing we love about recipes is that they evolve, you try them one way and then add and change them the next time.
We always recommend following our recipe the first time you make it, but then, change it up, and add a little of what you love.
Instead of fresh cilantro, try fresh dill, which will enhance the citrus taste of the lime juice.
Add a little Italian seasoning for a savory, earthy taste to your onion, cucumber, and tomato salad.
Instead of fresh lime juice maybe add a little olive oil or even vegetable oil, apple cider vinegar, red wine vinegar, rice wine vinegar, or white wine vinegar.
Experiment and youll soon have the perfect cucumber, tomato, and onion salad for you!
Read Also: Taco Salad With Catalina Dressing
Notes On Making Cucumber Tomato Red Onion Salad:
- Cucumber: I prefer a hot house or English cucumber because they have fewer seeds and you dont have to peel them. You can substitute a regular cucumber as well. Youll need about 2 cups total.
- Tomatoes: Using a pint of cherry tomatoes is convenient, and they are available year-round with good flavor. However, you can also substitute a regular large tomato for this recipe. Ive done that in the summertime when they are SO good.
- Red onion: If the pungency of the red onion is an issue for you, chop the red onion and soak the pieces in cold water for about 5-10 minutes. Then drain the water off and use the onion.
- Basil: Fresh basil is my go-to, but you could also swap in some fresh mint. Or use a combination of the two herbs. But do wait to add them until you are ready to serve so they dont brown or wilt in the refrigerator.
Otherwise, this is an easy condiment or side dish to prep ahead.
Get everything combined, except that basil, in a bowl and store it in the refrigerator until you are ready to use it.
Add the basil just before serving and you are good to go.
Same goes for the leftovers.
Keep them in the fridge and use for several days. If the basil has been mixed in, it may wilt a bit, but the salad still tastes great.
I hope you give this a try soon as a way to brighten up your delicious meals.
How To Make Cucumber Tomato Salad
When the farmers markets start overflowing with juicy garden fresh veggies, I take my cue to make a big bowl of cucumber tomato salad.
I love using a combination of fresh or dried oregano and basil in this salad to bring out its Mediterranean essence. Chopped fresh dill and-or parsley deliver equally excellent herbal notes.
English cucumber is ideal for this recipe. The peels are tender enough that theres no need to remove them, and the seeds are virtually nonexistent. If you only have regular salad cukes on hand, those are perfectly suitable as well. Just peel them, and, if the seeds seem tough, scoop them out and then slice.
Don’t Miss: Low Fat Vegan Salad Dressing
Tomato And Cucumber Salad Recipe
Yes, this salad actually does take only 15 minutes, depending on how good your chopping skills are.
No marinating. No separate salad dressing. Just chop the ingredients and toss together with your favorite oil and DONE! And yet you’ll be pleasantly surprised how refreshing and delicious this salad is for how little effort is required.
Creamy Cucumber Tomato Onion Salad
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Quick and easy creamy cucumber tomato onion salad recipe, homemade with simple ingredients in one pot or bowl in just 10 minutes. Loaded with with rich sour cream and mayonnaise dressing.
This salad will make a bright and refreshing note to any dinner or picnic you bring it to. The tangy tomatoes pair so well with the cool cucumber and creamy sauce. My family enjoys this just as much as my Cucumber Onion Salad , Cucumber Tomato Salad and Asian Cucumber Salad .
You May Like: Who Made The Potatoe Salad Free Movie
Tomato Cucumber And Onion Salad
Every summer my parents would have a beautiful garden in the back yard. Some years it was a large one with okra, corn, beans, squash, and cucumbers I even remember growing carrots one year. Other years it was a smaller patch, but it almost always had tomatoes. Tomatoes are pretty easy to grow down here and are prolific in the Southern summer heat.
So there werent many meals that didnt include fresh tomatoes in some form whether it was Tomato Cracker Salad or something like this Tomato, Cucumber, & Onion Salad.
This cool, crisp, and tangy salad is quick, easy, and was a summer staple at our house.
Now there are tons of variations on this recipe. You can add in some chopped fresh herbs like dill or parsley.
I typically use vegetable oil for its mild flavor, but swapping that out for olive oil or another flavored oil will drastically change the flavor.
You can even do like Mom did so many times and swap all of the homemade dressing out for a premade, bottled Italian or Greek dressing. It adds a totally different flavor and makes an easy dish even easier.
Its one of those dishes that benefits from some time in the fridge to allow all the flavors to develop and soak into the vegetables. I like it better after a few hours, but 30 minutes is enough if you just cant wait.
I also like lots of black pepper in this salad, but feel free to reduce it to your liking.
Tips From The Betty Crocker Kitchens
- tip 1 For maximum cucumber crunch, choose firm, slender cucumbers with thin skins. Cucumber seeds become bitter with age. Slice older cucumbers in half lengthwise and run the tip of a spoon down the center to remove the seeds. Or try hothouse cucumber. These very long slender cucumbers don’t have many seeds but cost a bit more.
- tip 2 Rice vinegar is less acidic than cider, white or wine vinegar. Look for it near the other vinegars in the grocery store.
Recommended Reading: Mix Veg Salad For Weight Loss
How To Make Cucumber Tomato Onion Salad
Because this recipe is so easy, use the very best ingredients you can afford. Fresh, in season vegetables are a must. Peel and slice the cucumber into coins then add to a large bowl. Slice the tomato into wedges and thinly slice the red onion then add to the bowl. Dress with a vinaigrette of your choice and serve.
Preparation And Storage Tips For Tomato
- Make Ahead: This salad is best when it has a chance to marinate for at least 30 minutes or up to 1 hour. You can let it sit at room temperature while it marinates, or you can put it in the refrigerator if you prefer a cold salad.
- The flavors come together, the cucumbers marinate, and the onions pickle while the salad rests. Don’t skip that step!
- The salad willlast in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days, but it’s best when enjoyed within about 24 hours. After a day or so, the vegetables get soft and the salad loses that satisfying crunch.
Read Also: Can You Eat Salad On Keto
Make Cracker Barrel Cucumber Tomato And Onion Salad At Home
Is it possible to love a salad? Yes, especially one that is as tasty and simple as this tomato cucumber salad from Cracker Barrel. Light yet flavorful, this simple salad is the perfect side at a casual barbeque or works equally well as an appetizer for a sit-down meal. You even have the freedom to make this cucumber salad recipe ahead of time since it actually tastes better on the second or even the third day. If you are looking for a versatile salad, you found it.
Tips For Salad Success:
- Make ahead! This salad can be made several hours before you plan to serve it.
- The vinaigrette for this salad can be made up to 3 days in advance. Store it in the fridge until youre ready to make your salad.
- I prefer to buy a block of feta cheese and crumble it myself. I find that the block feta has more flavor than the tubs of pre-crumbled cheese.
- If you are making this for a party, I highly recommend doubling the salad recipe. It will be everyones favorite!
Also Check: Good Seasons Salad Dressing Cruet
Dressing For Cucumber Salad
Not much is needed here, as were really wanting to let the fresh flavors of the cucumbers, tomatoes and onions shine. Im using equal parts oil and vinegar because I simply adore how the vinegar really boosts the flavors.
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
PRO TIP: You can also use a white wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar in place of the red wine vinegar. Itll change the flavor slightly, but should still be amazing!
Creamy Cucumber Tomato Salad
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Cucumber Tomato Salad is the perfect side salad for any time of year!
It is packed with juicy ripe tomatoes, crisp cucumbers and fresh herbs and all topped off with a delicious creamy dressing for a healthy addition to your menu plan! I add in fresh herbs and once in a while a sprinkle of feta cheese!
I am excited to have partnered with Hidden Valley® Ranch to bring you this fresh Creamy Cucumber Tomato salad recipe!
Creamy Cucumber Tomato Salad is the perfect dish for spring and summer . It is versatile, packed with deliciously healthy flavors and it lasts for several days in the fridge! I love options that I can prep in advance and enjoy all week for lunch or a quick side at dinner.
Sometimes the simplest ingredients make the best dishes, in this case ripe juicy tomatoes, crisp cucumbers, sweet white onion and fresh herbs tossed in a delicious creamy dressing. The combination of tomatoes, cucumbers and onions is classic and for good reason!
The cucumber in this salad makes it very refreshing, I like to leave the skin on the cucumber for added flavor and texture. You can use any kind of tomato in this recipe, including cherry or grape. Whatever you prefer, or have on hand will work well. Because the flavors of this dish are very simple, youll want to choose the best tomatoes you can and if its summer and you happen to have garden fresh, thats definitely a bonus!
Recommended Reading: Wendy’s Apple Pecan Salad Calories
Ways To Serve This Tomato Cucumber Salad Recipe:
- Straight out of the bowl. Add some chickpeas and this salad is plenty filling for a light meal. You could also add diced grilled chicken or shredded rotisserie chicken for a little more staying power.
- With fresh greens. For even more veggie goodness, toss this tomato cucumber salad with fresh greens, then drizzle on a bit of extra vinaigrette to create a fresh green salad.
- As a side dish. The way I usually serve this salad is as a side dish to grilled meats, burgers or sandwiches.
How Do You Make Cucumber Tomato Salad
Start by slicing your fresh cucumbers, tomatoes, bell peppers and red onions and place them in a bowl. In a separate bowl, add the ingredients for your tasty herb dressing and mix well. Pour the dressing over the top of your fresh vegetables, toss to mix, and you have a perfectly light salad that goes with any summer meal!
Recommended Reading: Fast Food Chicken Salad Sandwich