Lets Make A Broccoli Tuna Salad
- Make the broccoli rice. Place broccoli florets into a food processor and pulse until it becomes grainy like rice.
- Mix it all together. In a large bowl, stir together the canned tuna, mayonnaise, green onion, sunflower seeds, herbs, salt, pepper, and 1 cup of broccoli rice.
- Enjoy in various ways! While you can eat the salad straight out of the bowl, see below for more ways to enjoy it.
How To Serve Tuna Salad:
This salad is a versatile dish that can be served in countless ways! Some of my favorites ways to serve this recipe include:
- Tuna sandwiches with soft bread
- Spreading tuna salad on crisp toasted bread
- Tuna salad wraps in a tortilla or pita wrap
- For low carb options, consider serving inside a lettuce wrap or in a halved avocado
- As a dip with crackers or tortilla chips
Why I Love Healthy Tuna Salad Recipe
Just before Marc and I went to Thailand, we took the train to Almaty. It was a long ride. We needed food, but I wanted to be careful not to bring anything that would spoil.
This no mayo tuna salad was the perfect option protein to keep us full and an oil-based dressing to bring the flavor. Plus, it stayed pretty cold in a our makeshift cooler . Were so classy when we take the train.
There really isnt much else to say about this. Its just healthy tuna salad without mayo, which is very similar to my chicken salad without mayo, and its just as delicious.
Recommended Reading: Who Made The Potatoe Salad Watch Free
Read Also: Potato Salad Recipe Without Egg
Why Do I Feel Sick After Eating Canned Tuna
A study in the Journal of the American Medical Association details the growing problem of histamine poisoning caused by tuna. Histamine poisoning causes a rash, diarrhea, cramping, vomiting, a tight feeling in the throat, facial flushing, and headache symptoms that are disabling but temporary and usually not fatal.
What Kind Of Tuna To Use
Shopping for canned tuna can be more confusing than youd think. You can use whatever canned or jarred tuna you like for this recipe, but heres what we like to use, and what it means.
We prefer either solid white tuna or solid-packed light tuna thats salted and packed in olive oil. I also look for pole-and-line caught, troll-caught, or MSC certified designations. Heres what it all means:
- White tuna is albacore, a larger fish with a firmer, more steak-like texture. Thats great, but not strictly necessary for tuna salad. Albacore tend to be less sustainable these days, though this isnt a hard and fast rule.
- Light tuna is usually skipjack, a smaller fish that can have a darker color, less-firm texture and fishier taste. If you buy light tuna , look for solid-pack in olive oil. Both these terms yield light tuna with a good texture and flavor. Light tuna tends to be less expensive than white.
- Pole-and-line fishing and troll fishing are the two best ways to avoid trapping other animals when fishing for tuna, so those designations are a good bet that your tuna brand is making good environmental choices. You can read about the Marine Stewardship Councils criteria for certification at the link above. I find it to be super-helpful when faced with a zillion options at the grocery store.
Read Also: Potato Salad With Hard Boiled Eggs
More Great Sandwich Recipes
Looking for more incredible sandwiches? Here are a few sandwich recipes to try:
- Egg Salad Sandwich Just like tuna salad, but with hard boiled eggs! This one is a deliciously healthy lunch.
- Load up on veggies with a Avocado Club Sandwich
- Classic Shrimp Salad Just like tuna saladbut with shrimp instead! Make it into a sandwich for a tasty lunch.
- Avocado Grilled Cheese Sandwich A simple way to step up the standard! In just 10 minutes, it makes an easy meal with soup or salad.
- Eggplant Sandwich with Pesto This Mediterranean tomato and grilled eggplant sandwich with basil pesto is a seriously flavorful, healthy vegetarian sandwich thats easy to make!
How To Serve Tuna Salad
For me, the next best thing to a plain ol tuna sandwich is a tuna melt. Thats a grilled cheese sandwich with tuna salad. Slap some cheese on the sandwich, butter the bread on the outside, and grill it in a pan until the bread is crisp and golden, and the cheese melts.
You could do something similar with a tortilla, too. Just place cheese in the center, top with tuna salad, fold it like a burrito, and grill it to seal it. But theres more! Make a wrap with pita or flatbread and add some greens and sliced tomatoes or cucumbers.
You could also serve this as a true salad on top of greens with some extra vegetables to round it out.
Tuna salad makes a simple midafternoon snack when paired with crackers or spread onto celery sticks. You can also take the virtuous route and top your greens with a scoop of tuna salad for a healthy lunch.
You May Like: What Is The Best Tuna For Tuna Salad
How To Make Tuna Stuffed Avocados
One of the things I love about this recipe is how easy it is to make.
Just add the tuna, mayonnaise, celery, onion, herbs, Dijon mustard, salt and pepper to a small mixing bowl. Use a fork to break up the tuna and thoroughly mix all of the ingredients together.
Then use a large knife to cut your avocados in half and remove the seed. Add a few dollops of tuna salad onto each avocado half and thats it so easy. To eat the tuna stuffed avocados, just use a spoon or fork to scoop out a bite of the tuna salad with a chuck of avocado. Its creamy, savory, herby and slightly crunchy from the celery and onion. Totally delicious.
If you enjoy this recipe, then check out my Pico de Gallo Stuffed Avocados. I think youll love that recipe as well!
How To Make It
The first thing I do is drain the tuna, of course. You might have a favorite way of doing this, but I usually drain the liquid out over the sink by pressing the opened lid down onto the fish.
Then heres how I assemble my simple tuna salad bowl:
I start with a bed of lettuce or green leaves. Then I add little piles of everything else on top of the greens. I like to sprinkle the chopped onion over the tuna and tomatoes. The crunchy seeds or nuts get sprinkled over at the end.
I think this looks prettier than mixing all the ingredients together, dont you?
Recommended Reading: Bbq Ranch Salad And Go
How To Make The Best Tuna Salad Sandwich
There are a few things that youll need to make what my family declares as the best tuna salad sandwich theyve ever tasted.
Tuna I prefer to use light tuna packed in olive oil as I believe it has a less intense flavor. I continually try to review to find up to date information regarding sustainable fish and seafood as well as the brands that contain the least amount of mercury and healthful packaging that is BPA-free.
According to the EPA and FDA, young children and women who are pregnant or may become pregnant should limit their consumption of fish with lower mercury, including canned light tuna, to 12 ounces a week and no more than 6 ounces of albacore tuna.
Mayonnaise or Greek Yogurt Youll need mayonnaise or Greek Yogurt to help bind your tuna salad together. Use your favorite brand. We prefer to use Dukes for mayonnaise in our tuna salad sandwiches.
Lemon Juice Fresh lemon juice helps to add a bit of acid to the dressing for the tuna salad and makes the fish flavor a little less intense.
Mustard a little bit of mustard adds so much flavor to this recipe.
Curry Powder I love to add a little bit of curry powder to my tuna salad. If you do not have it, you can certainly omit it, but I do recommend that you try it at least once!
Relish a little sweet relish is key to tuna salad in my husbands opinion.
Celery the celery adds so much crunch and freshness to the tuna salad.
Grab The Lemon Pepper
Perhaps it isnt the first spice you reach for, or even a spice you reach for very often, but, perhaps lemon pepper should be.
Lemon pepper is a combination of coarse salt, fresh ground pepper, and lemon zest, via Simply Scratch. To make your own lemon pepper at home, you can combine these ingredients in a mortar and pestle.
Why it works for your tuna salad: Lemon pepper tuna is a flavor combo backed by science. According to Seafood Nutrition Partnership, lemon and fish go so well together because the natural saltiness in fish is balanced by the fruits acidity. Thats why citrus fruits, it says, are so often used in cooking to brighten flavors and counter any briny fishiness that might be lingering.
If the tunas saltiness and the lemons acidity balance each other, then the pepper is an added flavor bonus. Household-name tuna brand StarKist even sells pre-seasoned Lemon Pepper Tuna packets. Its a tried-and-true flavor combination.
Also Check: Where Can I Get A Taco Salad
Its Not Really That Crazy A Combo
Sugar and fish? You may be thinking that sounds really weird and more than a little gross. Unless, of course, youre a big fan of Asian snacks such as Tazukuri or Filipino sweet pusit adobo, made with squid, soy sauce, and sugar. Sugared fish is a thing in Europe as well, as the most popular method in Sweden for preparing the cured salmon known as gravlax involves using a blend of sugar and salt .
Still not convinced? Well, surely you believe the cooking experts at Americas Test Kitchen, dont you? A YouTube video of theirs offers tips to make your pan-roasted fish beautifully browned, and tip number two is to sprinkle a little sugar on your fish fillet before cooking it. The sugar will allow the surface of the fish to caramelize at a temperature of about 100 degrees lower than where it would do so on its own. This not only gives the fish a nice, crispy crust but keeps the interior moist and tender.
While they werent exactly making tuna salad sandwiches, the point stands that sugar added to fish does not necessarily equal weirdness, and it is completely suitable for your tuna salad.
Recommended Reading: Does Arbys Have Chicken Salad Sandwiches
What To Serve With Tuna Salad 8 Best Side Dishes
Tuna salad is a staple in America, especially during the summer when looking for something quick and easy to make.
Whether it be for lunch or dinner, tuna salad is a staple. Not only is it quick and simple to make, but its also delicious.
Its no secret that the flavor of tuna salad is delicious, but its also important to think about the texture.
Tuna salad isnt always made with mayonnaise, so sometimes youll find chunks of tuna in there, which adds a wonderful crunchy texture to your meal.
And if you are someone who likes their tuna salad to be extra creamy, then its easy to add in more mayonnaise.
The key is the balance of flavors and textures.
The important thing with tuna salad is that you do not overpower it with too many spices because then you lose the simple flavor that makes tuna salad great in the first place.
Generally, a little bit of sea salt, black pepper, and celery are all you need.
You can never go wrong with tuna salad, especially when it comes to serving it up with the best sides possible.
The dishes listed below are your best bet for what you should serve alongside your tuna salad to complete a perfect meal.
Recommended Reading: Zaxby’s Chicken Salad Sandwich
More Tuna Salad Ideas
- Egg: Growing up, my mom would often make us tuna salad with egg. You can do this by mixing some chopped hard boiled egg into your tuna salad. Its like a tuna salad and egg salad in one, and it is delicious! Plus you get even more satiating protein when you add hard boiled eggs to your tuna sandwich.
- Lemon Juice: Lemon juice is a classic tuna salad ingredient. It brightens up the flavor of tuna salad.
- Mustard: Do you like your tuna salad with Dijon mustard or yellow mustard? Mustard is another way to add a different flavor dimension to your tuna fish.
- Herbs: Fresh herbs are a great way to change up the flavor of tuna salad. Try parsley, dill or chives.
- Avocado: Avocado can act as a binder and replace the mayo or Greek yogurt in tuna salad. Its a great way to add healthy fat and flavor! Using avocado instead of mayo or Greek yogurt makes dairy-free tuna salad.
- Vegetables: Try adding finely chopped crunchy veggies such as carrots, bell pepper or cucumber for extra crunch and to add more nutrition to your tuna salad.
- Apple: Chopped apple adds a surprisingly delicious sweet twist to this tuna recipe.
- Chickpeas: Either mashed or coarsely chopped, chickpeas can help to stretch your tuna fish so you can use less tuna and get more tuna salad. Chickpeas are a great source of vegetarian protein.
- Capers: Capers add a salty, briny flavor to tuna salad.
What Goes With Tuna Besides Crackers
Recommended Reading: Caprese Salad With Mozzarella Balls
Theory: Go With The Grain
Tuna belongs on untoasted, whole wheat multigrain bread, and nothing else.
Yes, you grew up eating it on toasted white bread, but that was just one of many mistakes your parents made. Sweet, soft white bread cant handle a salad as hefty as tuna. Thats why you had to toast it. Multigrain bread, on the other hand, was born for this job, toaster be damned.
What Youll Need To Make A Really Good Tuna Salad
- 2 cans chunk white tuna packed in water
- ½ cup mayonnaise, best quality such as Hellmanns or Dukes
- 2 ribs celery, finely diced
- 2 scallions, light and dark green parts, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ¾ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- ¼ teaspoon salt
You May Like: Pottery Barn Melamine Salad Plates
Why Youll Love This Recipe
- Simplicity: Its my go-to recipe when I need a quick and easy lunch during the workweek.
- Make-Ahead: For best results, make this recipe ahead. Tuna salad is always better after the flavors of the ingredients have time to meld together in the refrigerator overnight.
- Few Ingredients: Just open a can of tuna, drain, chop, and stir all the goodness together.
- Versatility: can be used in a sandwich, wrap, or served as an appetizer on crackers.
Dont Miss: What Goes In Cucumber Salad
Worlds Best Tuna Melt
Thistuna melt: this is the stuff dreams are made of. Between crusty bread is sandwiched a creamy, gooey mess so perfectly seasoned that you wont be able to stop taking bites. And the filling? Yes, youve got it: its our classic tuna salad. Here well show you how to make a tuna melt that will make youmelt.
Another variation on tuna salad? Pasta salad! Try this Classic Tuna Pasta Salad, a creamy pasta salad perfect for a quick dinner or easy lunch.
Read Also: Panera Napa Almond Chicken Salad
Also Check: Salad And Go Breakfast Time
Dietary Worth Of Tuna
Theres extra to tuna than meets the attention! They belong to a subgroup of the mackerel household referred to as Thunnini, which vary from the 1.8kg bullet tuna to a 684kg Atlantic bluefin tuna . Its in style as a recreation fish but in addition commercially fished, which has left some species on the point of extinction.
As pure hunters, these fish eat sardines, squid, and different sea creatures.
Tuna is offered in numerous types in international locations all around the globe. There was consideration drawn to tuna by heath teams over time as a result of mercury content material in tuna. Mercury is a substance thats toxic to people in giant portions and will get into the tuna as a result of theyre predators and eat smaller fish already contaminated with it, leading to tuna having the next stage than different seafood.
Its not simply excreted by the fish, and so ranges construct up. Sources of mercury within the sea might be naturally from volcanic eruptions or from industrial exercise, akin to coal burning.
Some species of tuna have the next mercury content material than others and needs to be averted by pregnant girls. Though some species may comprise the next quantity of mercury in a single portion than the beneficial weekly secure quantity, most tuna is completely suitable for eating.
How To Make Tuna Salad Sandwich
I probably make this tuna fish salad sandwich recipe once a week, either for lunch or a light dinner.
- Put one lettuce leaf and 2 tomato slices on a slice of bread or toast.
- Place ½ cup of salad on top of the tomato slices.
- Put second piece of bread or toast on top of the tomato slices and cut the sandwich in half.
Recommended Reading: Which Fast Food Has The Best Salad
Read Also: Salad Every Day For A Month