Swaps And Suggestions For Tuna Salad
Im strictly a mayo kind of gal, but if you prefer Miracle Whip or light mayo, go for it. Ive never tried it with yogurt, but Greek yogurt might work, especially if you add a little lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
To toast or not, its up to you if you’re turning this into a sandwich. Sometimes, Im in a toasty mood and crave a little crunch, and sometimes I just want the comfort of soft bread.
No bread in the house? My better half always prefers tuna salad on saltines, but you could make some of these biscuits or homemade soda bread.
How To Make Broccoli Rice
After testing a few ways to make this, I find that using a food processor creates the best texture. It becomes light and fluffy, resembling grains of rice.
But if you dont have a food processor, using a blender or knife works just fine.
- Blender Method: Cut the broccoli into small pieces and place in the Vitamix. Then pulse until it resembles grains of rice. Scrape down the sides along the way to make sure everything is blended.
- Knife Method: Simply chopping the broccoli into small grains will do the trick. Just note that this step will take a bit longer.
Healthy Tuna Pasta Salad: Overview
Just like the classic, this macaroni salad is incredibly simple to prepare and will still leave you with that familiar, comforting feeling! However, theres no soft, mushy pasta, overly sweet, thick shellac of mayonnaise dressing, stale flavor or unpleasant metallic aftertaste! This version is all about bright, fresh flavors, spot-on textures, and a lightened-up, flavorful creamy dressing.
This macaroni salad features tender and pleasantly chewy pasta, flaky tuna, crunchy celery, delicate green onions, sweet peas, pungent red onions, herbaceous fresh herbs and savory, salty parmesan cheese. The whole thing gets generously drizzled and tossed with a tangy, slightly sweet, impossibly creamy yogurt dressing. The end result? A complex, incredibly delicious tuna salad that is downright addictive!
If you try a recipe and you like it, leave us some feedback in the comment section below, and dont forget to rate it! We would love it if you shared it with friends and family.
Finally, please use our hashtag #healthyfitnessmeals on for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW Healthy Fitness Meals on | | | for all of our latest blog posts and recipes.
Recommended Reading: What Is A Good Keto Salad Dressing
Tasting Your Food As You Cook
One of the top rules in cooking is to taste your food as you cook. Although it isnt always possible , you should take advantage of every opportunity you get, to taste the food.
This recipe will be the perfect opportunity to try it out too! We will be adding several different items to the tuna, such as apples, carrots and salt. After adding each ingredient, taste the tuna and see what you think.
Does it need more salt? More apples? If you taste as you go, you can adjust it to what you like.
Thats a chef secret.so dont let anyone know that I told you!
Using Sugar To As An Ingredient To Cook Fish Is Not New
The original idea was proposed by Cook’s Country, by way of a HuffPost Taste editor who decided that the idea of adding a half teaspoon of sugar for every three, 5 ounce cans of tuna white tuna in water was worth a shot. The hack actually improves the tuna because the sweetness makes the canned fish taste less fishy . Otherwise, doing nothing to the canned tuna leaves it tasting less than stellar.
In any case, using sugar to make a savory dish tastier isn’t a new idea. Asian cooks are big on using sweet ingredients like honey or sugar to add a flavour component to their dishes. Filipino grilled tuna jaw is marinated in a teriyaki-inspired sauce, which features brown sugar as a key ingredient sugar is also listed as an ingredient in a sweet and sour style fish known as escabeche.
Adding sugar isn’t the only thing you can do to make tuna salad taste less fishy. Some add grapes , others add pickle relish, both of which have sweet overtones. These ingredients could also achieve what sugar in your tuna salad sets out to do, which is to raise the ingredient’s profile from emergency pantry staple to a must-have.
Read Also: Can You Lose Weight By Eating Salad Everyday
Ways To Serve Tuna Salad
Sometimes I like to eat it straight out of the bowl with a spoon when Im in a hurry. But if you have a few extra minutes to spare, heres a few creative ideas!
- Add to a grain bowl. Layer a large spoonful of tuna salad onto a bed of quinoa and leafy greens. Then add some avocado slices and sliced red onions.
- Wrap it up. Use large butter lettuce leaves or my cassava flour tortillas.
- Make it a sandwich. Layer it in between sliced bread with spinach, sprouts, and cucumber slices.
- Serve as an appetizer or snack. Slab it onto seed crackers for a quick and easy bite.
A Healthier Tuna Salad
A lot people who are on a weight loss diet will turn to tuna because of its high level of protein 3 oz of albacore tuna has 20g of protein but only about 100 calories. However, if youre eating tuna as a traditional tuna salad with mayonnaise, you may be consuming unnecessary calories and fat. 1 cup of mayo has more than 1400 calories and 24g of fat.
This healthy tuna salad is full of flavor, light on calories and super easy to whip for lunch any day of the week! Swap the mayo for greek yogurt and dijon mustard and save those calories for a treat later.
Don’t Miss: How To Make Tuna Salad With Eggs And Relish
How Do You Make Tuna Salad Not Taste Fishy
For any of the above recipes, you can use tuna packed in oil or spring water to reduce the amount of fishiness that you taste. Plain white albacore tuna has a more distinct flavor than chunk light tuna, but either can be used for these recipes. The type of fish that tuna salad is made from will also have an impact on the taste of the final dish.
Our Favourite Easy Tuna Salad
This easy tuna salad is one of our go-to healthy dinners all year round. Just grab a can of tuna. Then add tangy cheese and chopped onion, crisp and juicy lettuce, cucumber and tomatoes, creamy avocado, pickled beetroot and some crunchy nuts or seeds on top. Its surprisingly delicious for such a simple salad! The best part? Dinner is served in just 10 minutes!
I know what youre thinking. Who needs a recipe for a canned tuna salad as easy as this one?
Well, if youre like me its sometimes just IDEAS you need. What to have for dinner when youve got zero time to shop and a maximum half hour to get the meal on the table.
Don’t Miss: Who Has Chicken Salad Sandwiches
Broccoli Tuna Salad Ingredients
Thanks to easy pantry staples, this tuna salad is a speedy recipe to make.
- Canned Tuna: I love to use wild albacore tuna in water, but the choice is yours.
- Broccoli Rice: The small size of broccoli rice is perfect for hiding in this recipe.
- Mayonnaise: While you can use a store-bought version, my homemade mayonnaise is super easy to whip up with an immersion blender.
- Dijon Mustard: A hint of spice complements the mayonnaise and tuna well.
- Green Onion: Adds a crisp and refreshing flavor.
- Sunflower Seeds: For little bits of crunchiness in every bite.
- Herbs: Im using chopped parsley, but feel free to use whichever herbs you like.
Find the complete recipe with measurements below
How Do You Make Tuna Salad
This tuna salad recipe is packed with sweet, crisp apples, shredded carrots and a touch of thyme! Drizzled with avocado oil and sprinkled with salt, dont be surprised when the kids ask for seconds!
So, how do you make tuna salad? Let me show you
Im not going to lieI love me a good traditional tuna salad recipe! Especially in a tuna melt..mmmmm. But now that we are eating healthier and the kids cant eat dairy, we are forced to limit our mayo intake.
We stopped eating tuna sandwiches for a while until that fateful day when we decided to make a quick trip to Costco. It was sample day and they were giving out tuna salad samples. But instead of mayo, they were using Olive oil .
We were so impressed with the taste that we went home and tried making it ourselves, but of course, we had to fancy it up!
Read Also: Hidden Valley Ranch Macaroni Salad
Protein Packed Tuna Salad
I happen to like tuna salad and I also like a classic egg salad. So basically, weve got the best of both worlds coming together in this easy recipe!
I love a high-protein, easy lunch but some days , I dont have a lot of time.
I mean seriously, who has time to cook elaborate meals these days? Between work, errands, and taking care of our families, we barely have enough time for fancy pants meals.
So yes, simple is key but lets be honest. Some days we need more to look forward to than a plain old sandwich.
Meet your new meal solution Tuna Salad with Egg.
Tuna Salad is awesome when youre making packed lunches for the field or just need something quick and easy.
It has 29 grams of protein, so youll be satisfied until dinner.
How To Make Tuna Macaroni Salad:
Cook macaroni according to directions on package. While pasta is cooking, drain cans of tuna well. Chop hard boiled eggs and shallot. In a separate bowl, combine mayonnaise, relish, celery seed, lemon juice, salt & pepper. Stir well to combine.
Stir in tuna.
Once macaroni is cooked, drain well and rinse with cold water until pasta has cooled. Pour drained macaroni into a large bowl. Pour mayonnaise mixture onto pasta.Then add chopped eggs and shallot, followed by thawed peas. Stir well.
Cover with plastic wrap and pop into the fridge for a couple of hours before serving.
- Place all of the ingredients into a large bowl.
- Mix together all of the ingredients until well combined.
- Salt and pepper to taste and refrigerate until serving.
Recommended Reading: Salad Shop West Palm Beach
How To Make Tuna Salad Is Really Easy Today We Are Sharing A Quick And Simple Salad Recipe
This salad is one of those simple things in life because it is easy to make, fast, low-carb, and delicious. Ready to learn how to make the best low-carb tuna salad? Join me in the bistro kitchen!
There are a lot of ways to make tuna salad. The secret to a good salad is to not saturate it with a ton of mayonnaise but just enough to enhance the flavor.
Tuna is a great ingredient when you grill it on the barbecue. It also works great in a salad. You can use it as the main ingredient.
This is a very cheap salad recipe. The cost of a can of tuna is really low. It also fits great in a keto diet or low carb lifestyle.
It only contains 6.6 grams of carbohydrates. So if you are on a low carb or Keto diet you can definitely eat this salad.
- Salt and pepper to taste
What Kind Of Tuna To Use
Tuna can be a wonderful, low-cost protein option. It is also nutrient-rich, containing essential vitamins, minerals, and omega-3 fatty acids. There are a couple kinds of tuna out there, like white albacore and chunk light. Some are packed in olive oil, while others are packed in water.
I try to use wild-caught Yellowfin or Albacore tuna as much as possible. And if youre concerned about the fat content, your best bet will be tuna packed in water instead of olive oil. Ive used both in the past, but I now prefer to use tuna packed in water and then add my own extra virgin olive oil so I can control the flavor and the amount used.Mercury levels in tuna can be a health concern, which is why my family eats it no more than once every two weeks.
Don’t Miss: Pei Wei Asian Chopped Chicken Salad
What To Eat With This Salad
You can eat this salad all by itself but you can also serve it with:
- Toast just but a couple of slices in a toaster
- Baguette is great to eat with this salad
- Dinner rolls are also great to serve with tuna salad
- Crackers are also great to eat with tuna salad
- Soft tortilla as the tortilla can be eaten with everything
Have fun making this healthy salad!
Made a recipe please tag @fastfoodbistro on , on , and like us on for more information and updates.
What Goes With Tuna Salad
While this recipe is great on its own, theres so many creative ways to serve it.
- Sandwich: Make it into a sandwich along with a layer of lettuce and tomatoes.
- Wrap: Turn it into a wrap with my cassava flour tortillas.
- Lettuce Wrap: Use butter lettuce leaves for a lighter, low-carb option.
- Stuffed Avocado or Tomato: Stuff it into avocado or tomato halves.
- Dip: Serve it with crackers or chips.
Read Also: Gluten Free Blue Cheese Salad Dressing
If You Have Leftover Broccoli Rice
Dont toss it away! With how light and mild it is, you can add it to just about any meal for an extra dose of greens.
- Make a macro bowl with your choice of protein and roasted vegetables.
- Toss into fried rice with diced up carrots, peas, green onions, and eggs.
- Add more greens to your breakfast by sprinkling some into your breakfast egg muffin mixture or breakfast casserole.
- Freeze it for later and store in Stasher Bags for up to 3 months.
Variations Of Healthy Tuna Salad
Cold tuna salad over a sourdough rye bread toast, healthy tuna melt and tuna zucchini fritter has grown on me a lot. Here are a few variations I also tried:
- Curried salad: Add desired amount of fresh curry powder. I used the same yellow curry powder I make yellow chicken curry with and salad turns out so flavorful!
- Pasta salad: Mix with cooked whole wheat macaroni for healthy tuna pasta salad.
- Avocado: Love avocado? Substitute mayo with mashed avocado.
- Egg: Add a few chopped Instant Pot hard boiled eggs or leftover healthy deviled eggs .
Read Also: What Is The Best Salad Dressing For Keto
What Is Tuna Pasta Salad
Tuna pasta salad is a classic American salad side dish featuring canned tuna, cooked noodles, fresh vegetables and a flavorful dressing. Pasta salad with tuna is typically tossed in either a creamy mayonnaise-based dressing or silky vinaigrette and almost always served chilled.
Pasta salad is generally served as a side dish however, it can also be served as an appetizer or main course.
Tips For Making Tuna Macaroni Salad Recipe
- Boil the pasta to al dente as it will soften up more as it absorbs the mayo- and be sure to salt the water!
- Cool the pasta completely before mixing the salad together.
- Do it by taste, not measurements. I listed the ingredients in the amounts that I personally enjoy but the amounts of ingredients are completely subject to your own personal tastes. Sometimes I vary it based on my mood as well.
- Feel free to mix it up and add different flavors that you like!
Also Check: Where To Buy Chicken Salad Sandwich
The Many Benefits Of Broccoli
Cauliflower rice has been a long time favorite for a healthy, low-carb alternative. But its cruciferous cousin cant be ignored. Broccoli is brimming with vitamin C, fiber, and beneficial antioxidants. Which is why its been a part of my daily dose of anti-inflammatory foods.
Aside from that, it can be cooked numerous ways. You can roast it, steam it, and of course rice it. Once you sauté it with some garlic and shallots, the flavor and texture is pretty irresistible. Eat it as a simple side or keep reading for more ways to serve and meal prep broccoli rice.
Tuna Salad With Apples
Have you ever tried tuna salad with apples? If you are shaking your head no, you need to try it today! The sweetness of the apples is the perfect way to bring out different flavors of the tuna.
Be sure to add salt to the tuna first and then you will really taste the sweet and salty flavor combination!
Read Also: Dinner Plate Vs Salad Plate
What Can I Do With Canned Tuna
You can do so much with canned tuna! From tuna salad to Tuna patties, canned tuna is so versatile, and kid friendly! For some reason, the kids love canned tuna patties. The few times I made patties from real tuna, they barely touched them!
This dairy free tuna salad recipe is a perfect use for canned tuna!
Karlynns Tuna Salad Recipe Tips & Tricks
Happy cooking everyone!
Love you more than chocolate!
While this post was generously sponsored by Catelli, all opinions and the recipe remain my own.
Also Check: How To Prepare Kale For Salad