Tuna Salad Sandwiches Recipe Bettycrocker
My mommy would make this for us on weeknights in summer this was the only way we would certainly consume fish. You can make the salsa a day in advance of time.
How To Make The Best Tuna Salad
The full recipe is below but heres the recipe in a nutshell. Its perfect for a busy day when you dont want to get cooking.
Making a delicious tuna salad is easy, and its a great way to use up some canned tuna and hard boiled eggs.
Start by a little chopping of the eggs, celery and onions into small pieces. Then, add in the canned tuna and mix it all together.
The amount of mayonnaise you use is really up to you. I recommend you add in a portion of the mayonnaise to taste and add more if you want a creamier salad.
I like to use some chopped celery for crunch and although its not in the recipe card below, some red onion gives some extra flavor if thats your thing.
Once everything is mixed together, give it a taste and add salt and pepper as needed.
Serve on a bed of lettuce or enjoy as is!
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- Easy to make: Just add all of the ingredients to a bowl and mix to combine. No cooking involved to make this tuna salad sandwich!
- Make ahead: Make up a batch of this tuna fish sandwich recipe and enjoy it throughout the week for easy to grab lunches.
- Delicious: This is no ordinary tuna salad. Its full of texture and fresh and zingy flavors.
Also Check: Who Made The Potatoe Salad Movie
Best Tuna Salad Sandwich
To make this tuna salad sandwich, take your bread slices. I like to toast them, but if you prefer them soft, skip this step.
Place some lettuce or your chosen salad leaves on the bread . Add 1/4 to 1/3 of the tuna salad onto the leaves. Add more leafy greens, then top with the second slice of bread. This recipe makes about 3-4 sandwiches in all.
If you prefer, you can replace the bread with a tortilla. Add the salad leaves to the tortilla, then spoon over the tuna salad and roll together.
Is Canned Tuna Healthy
I say, yes! Canned tuna is an excellent source of high-quality protein, vitamins, and minerals and is low in saturated fat. Ounce for ounce, tuna is lower in calories, fat, saturated fat, and cholesterol than even the leanest cuts of beef and chicken.
I feel that canned tuna definitely deserves a spot in a healthy, balanced diet. Just be sure to moderate your intake as large sport fish, like tuna, are known to contain mercury.
You May Like: What To Put In Salad For Weight Loss
Recipe Tips And Variations
- Yield: This recipe makes about 4 cups of tuna salad, enough for 6 sandwiches .
- Storage: Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- Mayo-free: Instead of mayonnaise, try making the dressing with plain yogurt or whipped silken tofu. You can also add lemon vinaigrette .
- More mix-ins: Add a small amount of diced apple , a handful of thawed peas, or a couple of chopped hard-boiled eggs to your tuna salad.
- Lettuce wraps: Tuna salad is delicious wrapped in lettuce leaves or piled on a bed of lettuce.
- Tuna pasta salad: Make a tasty tuna pasta salad by adding cooked macaroni, rotini, or your other favorite small pasta.
- Stuffed tomatoes: Hollow out juicy tomatoes and fill with tuna salad for an old-fashioned, and super-delicious, lunch entrée.
- Ahi Tuna Salad: Is the Ahi tuna looking fabulous at the fish market, or have you got an extra bit of ahi tuna from last nights dinner? Splurge and make tuna salad with it. Cook it through, then flake it up in this recipe.
This easy Curried Chicken Salad makes the perfect sandwich, wrap, or low-carb lunch on a big bed of greens. This delicious, flavorful recipe uses almonds and fresh grapes, for just the right balance of crunch
More Great Sandwich Recipes
Looking for more incredible sandwiches? Here are a few sandwich recipes to try:
- Egg Salad Sandwich Just like tuna salad, but with hard boiled eggs! This one is a deliciously healthy lunch.
- Ultimate Fried Egg Sandwich Fry up an egg for a 10-minute meal!
- Load up on veggies with a Avocado Club Sandwich
- Classic Shrimp Salad Just like tuna saladbut with shrimp instead! Make it into a sandwich for a tasty lunch.
- Avocado Grilled Cheese Sandwich A simple way to step up the standard! In just 10 minutes, it makes an easy meal with soup or salad.
- Eggplant Sandwich with Pesto This Mediterranean tomato and grilled eggplant sandwich with basil pesto is a seriously flavorful, healthy vegetarian sandwich thats easy to make!
Recommended Reading: Chipotle Salad Dressing Nutritional Information
How Should You Serve A Tuna Salad Sandwich
As author Hank Shaw suggests, stuffed between any sort of bread is fine, including wraps and tortillas. He once even roasted some chiles, seeded and peeled them, then stuffed them with a Mexican-inspired salmon salad. You could even get super fancy and stuff some of your salad into a ramekin and serve it on a charcuterie board. After all, tuna salad, cut very small, is basically a rillette. Or skip the bread entirely and stand over the sink eating your tuna salad from the bowl.
Best Ever Tuna Sandwich Tip Use Cottage Cheese
Theres absolutely nothing like fresh salmon, and my mama cooks it just right so it almost melts in your mouth. The sour lotion dill sauce is discreetly skilled with horseradish so that it does not subdue the delicate salmon taste.
Also Check: What To Eat With Salad For Dinner
Best Tuna Salad Recipe
Everything about it is amazing and its hard to not sneak a few spoonfuls before its shared with others. Thats why we have to make a big batch! Its such an recipe that we make ahead of time because its great in tuna salad sandwiches. We are obsessed with tuna sandwiches, alfalfa sprouts and a few slices of cucumber. Its the perfect and satisfying lunch. Sometimes well mix it up a bit and add it on a bed of crisp salad greens. Its so good and flavorful that we dont even need salad dressing! and of course if heres any let over at all, Dad will make it into his absolute favorite tuna melt. But thats only if theres any leftover and if there isnt, he just has to make a separate batch for himself for his week of tuna melts!
About Those Hardboiled Eggs
Hardboiled eggs are pretty straightforwardif you happen to have a few on hand, just slice them to add to the sandwich. For easy-peel hard boiled eggs, be sure to steam them or make them in the pressure cooker.
My husband was a little leery of them in this sandwich, but commented on how they added an almost creamy texture to the filling. I like to cook a few extra for snacks or to take with me on days when I run out the door without breakfast.
Also Check: Peaches And Goat Cheese Salad
What Is A Pan Bagnat Exactly
Canned tuna, anchovies, olives, tomatoes, onions and hard-boiled eggs are a few of the standard ingredients, but this sandwich can be a catchall for any others you might have around.
Try adding thinly sliced fennel, leftover green beans, radishes, cucumbers, fresh herbs, sweet peppers and red peppers from a jarjust a few of the possibilities! You could even substitute leftover fresh tuna or salmon for the canned tuna.
The hallmark of this sandwich is its very sogginess: The bread is doused with olive oil before being filled, and then pressed so that it absorbs all the juices from the tuna fish and other ingredients.
This makes a delicious concert of ingredients that marry together as the sandwich sits. Crusty bread ensures that the insides are soft but outside of the bread stays firm.
A Vegan Variation: Chickpea Salad
Want to make a vegan tuna salad sandwich? Use chickpeas! While it doesnt quite have the flavor of tuna, this Chickpea Salad Sandwich is full of incredible flavor using chickpeas instead of tuna. Its got most of the same players, and youll mash the chickpeas until they integrate into the texture. Its a tasty plant-based version of this standard, and has become a fan-favorite!
Don’t Miss: Chicken Salad Chick Easley Sc
World’s Best Tuna Melt
This tuna melt: this is the stuff dreams are made of. Between crusty bread is sandwiched a creamy, gooey mess so perfectly seasoned that you wont be able to stop taking bites. And the filling? Yes, you’ve got it: it’s our classic tuna salad. Here well show you how to make a tuna melt that will make youmelt.
Another variation on tuna salad? Pasta salad! Try this Classic Tuna Pasta Salad, a creamy pasta salad perfect for a quick dinner or easy lunch.
Tuna Fish Salad Sandwich A Healthy Life For Me
The really fantastic thing about this recipe is that it deals with basically any type of type of fish or seafood. The original recipe required halibut, which I enjoy yet is really difficult to get right here in Florida. I have utilized tilapia, mahi mahi, salmon, flounder, cod, & shrimp with this recipe, as well as they have all ended up wonderful. Another very easy fish recipe that has actually come to be a family members favorite during the warmer months is this Fish Taco recipe.
Recommended Reading: Buy Frozen Seaweed Salad Online
Can You Freeze Tuna Salad
The short answer is no.
A tuna salad recipe, like other protein salad recipes, uses mayonnaise, which doesnt respond well to freezing. Whilst its, technically, safe to do so, the freezing process changes the texture and taste of the salad itself. The veggies are also prone to becoming limp and retaining too much water during the freezing process which will make your sandwich soggy. So I dont recommend freezing it.
Tuna Salad Sandwich Recipe
- You can have the mixture as a salad too.
- Cut your vegetables finely so that its easy to fill them into bread slices.
- You can swap tuna with egg, ham or chicken if you prefer chicken or ham more.
No matter what you add up to the sandwich, it will turn out delicious. You can add up any of your favourite ingredient to make it taste as per your preference.
Also Check: Broccoli Salad Chicken Salad Chick
The Best Tuna Fish Salad Sandwich
A tasty as well as wonderful rub makes this quick recipe superb. While the fish is sitting to enable the flavors to blend, you can quickly construct the salsa.
How Long Is Tuna Salad Good For
This tuna salad recipe should be refrigerated and stored in an airtight container. It can be made in advance and is great for meal prep.
Because of the mayonnaise, this tuna salad sandwich recipe will only keep for around 5 days if properly sealed in an air-tight container. It shouldnt be left out on the counter as the mayo can spoil in a few hours.
Also Check: Chicken Of The Sea Chicken Salad
How To Make Tuna Macaroni Salad Ahead Of Time
The saddest thing about this salad is that the lettuce will get wilty and even soggy if stored for more than a few hours in the fridge.
So, if you want to make it a day or two ahead, do everything in the recipe except for adding the sliced iceberg lettuce. Add the lettuce when it’s time to serve.
Simply Recipes / Mihaela Kozaric Sebrek
Healthy Tuna Fish Salad With Sauerkraut Style By Joules
It was my husband, Steve, who developed this very easy, foil-packet recipe for half-cracked, fork-tender Lemon Basil Salmon. We eat a great deal of salmon and Steve likes experimenting with different herbs as well as flavors on our food. This recipes a winner! Marianne Bauman, Modesto, California.
Read Also: Drew’s Organic Salad Dressing
Easy Tuna Salad With Egg
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full Disclosure Policy for details.
This Tuna Salad with Egg is simple to make and tastes great. Its a high protein spin on the classic tuna salad recipe, and its so easy to make using ingredients from your pantry and fridge.
Use it to make it into a tuna salad sandwich or dip veggies and crackers into it. Theres basically no wrong way to use this easy recipe!
Recipe Notes And Tips
- Finely chop the red onion and celery so that they mix evenly with the other ingredients.
- Substitutions: You can use cooked salmon instead of tuna fish if that is what you prefer. You can also substitute the Dijon mustard for yellow, stone-ground, brown, or your favorite mustard.
- Mayo-free: For a lower fat option, you can substitute half of the mayonnaise with Greek or plain yogurt.
- Additional mix-ins: You can add chopped hard-boiled eggs or chopped avocado to your tuna fish sandwich.
- Toppings: Place this tuna salad on toasted bread slices with lettuce, tomato slices or cucumber slices.
- Gluten-Free, Paleo & Low-Carb: The tuna spread is gluten-free, Paleo, Whole30 and low-carb. You can serve it on gluten-free/low-carb bread, bagels or lettuce leaves for a healthy alternative.
- Keep refrigerated and covered until ready to use.
Read Also: Wendy’s Apple Pecan Salad Recipe
How To Make Tuna Salad
This healthy tuna salad comes together in about 10 minutes start-to-finish.
- Drain tuna
- Place tuna in medium sized bowl and lightly break apart any large chunks of tuna using a fork.
- Add the celery, onions, kalamata olives, parmesan cheese and parsley and toss.
- Fold in the dressing so all of the ingredients are lightly and evenly coated.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve chilled to make a sandwich or a wrap or scoop a mound on top of lettuce leaves.
How Long Does Tuna Salad Last In The Fridge
Tuna salad can be stored in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to a week. And of course, sandwiches are just one of many dishes you can make with tuna salad. Mix in some macaroni for an easy pasta salad side dish, or pack it into avocado halves or scooped-out tomatoes for a gluten-free lunch. A few spoonfuls of tuna salad with crackers is also one of my favorite afternoon snacks.
Also Check: Does Chick Fil A Have A Salad
The Perfect Tuna Salad
No matter how creative or spontaneous or inventive I aim to be with my weekday lunches, at some point I always end up craving just simple a tuna salad sandwich. Its lunchtime comfort food. Has it been a while since you last had tuna salad? Heres my favorite, most basic recipe. I think its just about perfect.
Theres not much to making tuna salad, really. My husband often just mixes the tuna with mayo and a few cracks of black pepper and calls it good! I like to add some crunch to balance out the cream, and so I mix in some chopped celery and shallots when I make it. A spoonful of pickle relish might not be the way you grew up with it, but try it the sweet-and-sour pickles add just a little something extra to each bite.
I also like water-packed tuna, partly because I think it has a cleaner tuna flavor. But if youre a fan of oil-packed tuna, by all means use that!
Why Youll Want To Make Tuna Sandwiches
During the summer months, tuna salad sandwiches are one of my favorite things to make for lunch.
Plus, theyre easy, and dont require heating up the kitchen!
Its so nice to be able to keep a can of tuna in the pantry for those last minute meals, like this tuna pasta salad recipe, and for this recipe, you can use whatever kind of tuna you prefer: albacore, tuna with olive oil, etc. However, I think the best kind of tuna is white tuna in water, in case you find that helpful!
Don’t Miss: What Dressing Is On Olive Garden Salad