How To Cook Chicken For Chicken Salad
I love the convenience and flavor of a rotisserie chicken here , but you can definitely cook the chicken yourself .
- To slow cook chicken breasts simply place 3 medium boneless skinless chicken breasts or 2 large bone-in skin on chicken breasts in a slow cooker, season with salt and pepper, cook on low 3 5 hours until cooked through .
- Poach chicken in simmering chicken broth until cooked to 165 in center.
- To bake chicken see this method. You wont need to use all the seasoning just salt and pepper.
- You could even pan sear the chicken. Pound boneless skinless chicken breasts even then season with salt and pepper. Sear in 1 Tbsp oil in a skillet over medium-high heat until 165 in the center, about 5 6 minutes per side.
Make Chicken Salad Again And Again With These Kitchenware Essentials
Stir together gently
Until everything is thoroughly coated.
Now, if youre feeling particularly naughty and saucy and feisty, please sprinkle in some homemade OR, in my case, STOREBOUGHT bacon bits. Again, dont overdo itjust a little bacon flavor will do.
Now, I have fried up thick, peppered bacon, chopped it fine, and sprinkled it in the chicken salad before, and it was almost too delicious for me to bear. So try that sometimebut enter at your own risk.
Now, taste it, salt it, pepper it, add more dillwhatever you need to do to make it perfect. Just remember to fold/stir gently throughout this process.
And when youre finished, do this! Because Martha might be watching.
Now, just allow the chicken salad to chill several hours or even overnightlong enough for the flavors to really meld.
Then, when youre ready, just serve the chicken salad on a bed of lettuceor in hollowed-out heads of cabbage, or hollowed-out bell peppersor put it on English Muffins, top with cheese, and broilor stir in with shell pasta for chicken pasta salad. Yum.
Or! If youre me, you can do this:
Grainy wheat bread.
Toasted. And did you know Id been married nine years before I even owned a toaster? True story.
Baby Spinach. And plenty of it.
The Best Spicy Southwest Salad
When Im in the mood for something wholesome, fresh, and filling, this southwest salad recipe is always my go-to.
I love a salad that is all jazzed up with a combination of different ingredients. And the ingredients in this salad blend together to create the perfect balance of flavors. And this copycat Chick-Fil-A spicy southwest salad has just that.
I mean, theres perfectly seasoned chicken, southwest-style veggies, a homemade smooth salsa dressing with a little kick, and everything is finished off with crunchy tortilla strips & chili lime pepitas. Whats not to love about this salad?
And what makes this recipe even better is its easyto put together and works perfectly as a healthy meal prep recipe you can eat over the next few days.
Dont Miss: What Is The Best Salad Dressing For Low Carb
Recommended Reading: Does Arby’s Have A Salad
Behind The Recipe: The Best Homemade Chicken Salad
When ordering a chicken salad for lunch, you really never know what will end up on the plate. Every chef seems to prepare chicken salad differently.
You may get a finely shredded version or large cubes of chicken. Your plate could include all sorts of ingredients like red onions, seeds, dried cranberries, nuts, and even fruit, like seedless grapes.
Likewise, many families have a time-honored classic chicken salad recipe that has been handed down for generations.
Digging in, I found any quality chicken salad recipe starts with creamy and bright ingredients. From there, you can make it your own with any variation of ingredients you like best. That being said, I think youll enjoy mine!
Your shares are how this site grows and I appreciate each one. Do you know someone who would enjoy this recipe? Id love it if you would share it on or on your favorite board!
Can Salad Be Frozen
We dont recommend freezing the chicken salad. But what we do recommend is freezing the cooked chicken. If you have leftover cooked chicken, simply chop up the chicken and put in a freezer back.
Then it is easy to pull out the frozen chicken and let it thaw to follow the steps to make chicken salad.
Also Check: Betty Crocker German Potato Salad Recipe
Fancy Chicken Salad Recipe
We call this Fancy Chicken Salad because of the dressing, grapes, and pecans, but its truly easy. This is a fresher and lightened-up version of classic chicken salad and its perfect for meal prep.
This is the perfect side dish or main course. Its especially easy if you use leftover Roasted Chicken. Watch the video tutorial and see how simple it is.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
We love protein-packed salads like our Chicken Avocado Salad, Autumn Chopped Chicken Salad, and Cobb Salad. This creamy chicken salad is really the best combination of chicken salad and Waldorf salad that will become a go-to for lunch.
How To Make Chicken Salad:
Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and mix well. Add salt and pepper to taste.
It really is that simple to make and so much better than anything store bought. You will save money by making it home.
Serve immediately as a sandwich or over salad. If you are trying to eat low carb, just make a lettuce wrap or serve in a salad.
Read Also: Oneida Act 1 Salad Fork
Why This Is The Best Homemade Chicken Salad
There’s a little country store near our house that sells the best store-bought chicken salad I’ve ever tasted. I used the chicken salad from Yoder’s Country Market as the inspiration for my homemade version, even consulting one of my local girlfriends to make sure that my recipe was a close copycat to the market’s. We’ve got a winner, and I’m so excited to share it with you! Here’s why this Southern chicken salad recipe is truly the best:
The Best Chicken Salad Recipe
I dont know about you but I am pretty picky about chicken salad and this is the best chicken salad recipe! It has the perfect blend of chicken, veggies and seasonings.
In the past, I have tried chicken salad that was too runny or had way too much mayo and not enough chicken. Then you have the chicken salad that is just too dry and tastes bland.
Chicken salad really has to be just right. This is a great recipe.
Don’t Miss: Is Egg Salad Good For A Diet
How To Season This Southern Chicken Salad Recipe
This salad is seasoned simply with a little bit of ground mustard, onion powder, salt, and pepper in the mayonnaise-based dressing. Fresh parsley adds a bright touch at the end, but you can also stir additional herbs into the dressing. Try chopped fresh rosemary, dill, or thyme. Adding a little bit of curry powder or garlic powder works well, too!
How To Store Simple Chicken Salad:
This chicken salad is so easy for everyone to enjoy. Occasionally we will have leftovers. All you need to do is store in an airtight container for the flavors to enhance.
The chicken salad will last about a week in the refrigerator. Once you are ready to enjoy again, simply give it a stir and your chicken salad is ready to enjoy.
Don’t Miss: Wolfgang Puck Chinese Chicken Salad
Tips For Making Chicken Salad:
- You can replace the mayo with mashed avocado and sour cream for a different version.
- Reduce the calories by using Greek yogurt in place of mayonnaise.
- You can cook your own chicken breasts or thighs in the crockpot, then use an electric hand mixer to shred the chicken for this recipe.
- Use canned chicken in a pinch.
Curried Chicken Salad Tea Sandwiches
Sandwiches are often overlooked. Theyre perceived as the main course, but primarily for breakfast or lunch, excluded from even the most casual of dinners sometimes. Sandwiches are very rarely ever thought of as an appetizer or snack. Its time for that to change! These Curried Chicken Salad Tea Sandwiches are a beautiful mix of fragrant curry powder, sweet dried cranberries, tangy apple, rich walnuts, oniony scallions, juicy chicken and creamy mayonnaise all working together with the crunch of toasted whole-wheat bread. Try them at your next dinner party, sports game viewing party or outdoor picnic.
Get the Recipe: Curried Chicken Salad Tea Sandwiches
Recommended Reading: Is Blue Cheese Salad Dressing Gluten Free
Old Fashioned Chicken Salad Tips And Tricks
I really love how easy it is to customize this old fashioned chicken salad to your own preferences! Here are a few ideas for you to try out with yours.
- If youd like a low-carb variation, try serving this old fashioned chicken salad on a bed of salad leaves with some avocado and tomatoes. Its an easy and delicious alternative to bread or a wrap! The lettuce leaf wrap I mentioned earlier is also a great way to make this a low-carb wrap.
- Take your time with the seasoning and add it bit by bit. Remember, you can always add more but you cant take it out once its there! Add your seasoning little by little and have a taste each time until you get the flavour you love best.
- If you want to add a bit of extra flavor, try adding some mustard to the mayonnaise!
- Add some sweet fruity goodness with a few red grapes quartered or halved.
- For some extra crunch, add some chopped-up toasted pecans to finish.
- Use rotisserie chicken for the BEST flavor and a super easy cheat!
To Make Chicken Salad With Grapes
Not only is this simple and easy, but it is so impressive to serve for guests while sitting on the deck sipping on an ice-cold glass of NESTEA® slightly sweet black iced tea!
Serve with bread, croissants, or over a bed of lettuce.
Pro tip: Toast the pecans in a small pan and let them cool before adding to the salad. Toasting nuts retain their crunch and expand their flavor!
Don’t Miss: Easy Tuna Fish Salad Recipe
What Kind Of Chicken Should I Use To Make Chicken Salad
Chicken salad is typically made using leftover chicken, canned chicken, or shredded rotisserie chicken. You can use either dark meat, white meat, or a combination. If you dont have any pre-cooked chicken on hand, you can also cook chicken just for making chicken salad. Simply boil 2 chicken breasts in either water or chicken broth for about 15 minutes, or until cooked through. Drain and shred chicken with a fork.
Is The Spicy Southwest Salad Healthy
While the Chick-Fil-A Spicy Southwest Salad is healthy in that it is full of nutrient-loaded vegetables and ingredients, its definitely one of the higher-calorie salads on their menu. However, making this homemade version of the salad and dressing is a great way to lower the calorie count and keep the nutrition in the meal!
The Chick-Fil-A Spicy Southwest Salad has 690 calories. This copycat recipe has about 343 calories with the same amount of protein and the same amount of deliciousness as the original!
Read Also: Mcdonalds Chicken Bacon Ranch Salad
Also Check: Benefits Of Eating Seaweed Salad
What Do I Need For The Original Chick Fil A Recipe
Heres what youll need to make this recipe:
- Cooked chicken breasts the original Chick fil a recipe calls for four of their chicken breasts, which can be grilled or fried. I went with the grilled chicken breast.
Four of those chicken breasts will run you around $18.40. So youre gonna be making one of the most expensive one pound batches of chicken salad ever. Yikes!
I did follow their recipe but I would really recommend buying the ready to use grilled chicken breast pieces that you can find at your local grocery store or cook your own. It will be a lot less expensive. Chicken nuggets or rotisserie chicken would also work if thats what you have on hand. Youll need around one pound of chicken to make the recipe.
- Celery adds great flavor to cold salads and texture. Celery is also a pretty common ingredient in chicken salad or tuna salad recipes.
- Sweet Pickle Relish just like my mothers chicken salad recipe, this one calls for the sweet pickle relish. A lot of folks like the sweet relish. The taste reminds me of the store bought varieties. My own simple chicken salad recipe uses dill relish salad cubes instead because thats what we prefer at our house.
- Real Mayonnaise if I had to guess I am betting that the original Chick fil a spread uses Hellmans or a restaurant mayonnaise. Since I dont know for sure, because the recipe wasnt that specific, I used Dukes mayonnaise.
Big Quick Chicken Salad
Heres a big, speedy chicken salad to serve as a main course. Quick to put together using a store bought rotisserie chicken, all my favourite vegetables, a sprinkle of bacon, all tossed in a herby garlicky salad dressing.
Make this for dinner tonight, work tomorrow, or a leisurely weekend lunch with friends!
Recommended Reading: Arby’s Chicken Salad Sandwich
How Can I Make Chicken Salad Healthier
Many people ask, Is chicken salad healthy? Chicken salad can definitely fit into your healthy-eating planwith a few tasty tweaks. Use lean, white breast meat to start. To cut back on the fat and calories from mayonnaise, incorporate mashed avocado, plain Greek yogurt or vegan mayonnaise When choosing your crunchy ingredients, opt for fresh, chopped veggies like onions, green bell peppers or carrots. Finally, serve your chicken salad in a lettuce wedge or over a mixed greens salad for more nutrients without the extra carbs.
Is Chick Fil As Grilled Chicken Sandwich Healthy
The grilled chicken sandwich from Chick-Fil-A contains just 320 calories, 5 grams of fat, and 30 grams of protein, so it will keep you satisfied far beyond lunchtime. To make a balanced combination of carbohydrates, protein, and lipids, grilled chicken is combined with fruits, vegetables, and a little cheese.
Also Check: Jalapeno Holly Chicken Salad Chick
Chicken And Rice Salad
This lovely chicken and rice salad is an excellent picnic dish because it’s a whole meal in itself. Cooked rice and chicken, mayo, veggies, and olives provide lots of flavors and a rich texture. Use the salad to fill heirloom tomatoes or whole peppers. Serve it on iceberg lettuce leaves, make rice paper roll wraps, cold flour tortilla sandwiches, or stuff some pitas.
An Easy Sandwich With Fruit & Nuts
- Chicken: Like a classic chicken salad recipe, you can use leftover chicken, rotisserie chicken or Crockpot Shredded Chicken for this recipe.
- Pineapple/Grapes: Fruit adds a bit of sweetness and a juicy tang to this recipe. Like in a Waldorf Salad, fruit lightens up a mayonnaise-based dressing.
- Nuts: Pecans add a bit of crunch . They can be replaced with walnuts or almonds if you prefer.
- Dressing: A mayonnaise-based dressing is flavored with a hint of curry powder. The addition of curry is amazing in a chicken salad with grapes!
- Other Delicious Additions: chopped red or green onions, sliced and quartered zucchini, shredded carrots, sliced water chestnuts, sesame seeds
Don’t Miss: California Pizza Kitchen Bbq Chicken Salad
How To Serve Chicken Salad
If you dine at the Chicken Salad Chick you can enjoy your chicken salad in two ways. One is a scoop of chicken salad on a bed of leaf lettuce. The other way you can have chicken salad is on a sandwich. Their sandwiches come with leaf lettuce and ripe tomatoes.
If you want you could serve it with crackers or you could stuff the chicken salad inside of a tomato. Its completely up to you.
The Best Chicken To Use For A Southern Chicken Salad Recipe
My favorite chicken to use in this recipe is shredded meat from a store-bought rotisserie chicken. It’s a quick shortcut that yields delicious results, since the rotisserie chicken is moist, tender, and already seasoned.
If you’d prefer to cook your own chicken at home to use in this salad, you’ll need about 1 ½ lbs. of raw, boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs to equal about 3 cups of cooked, shredded meat. You can boil the chicken until cooked through , and then shred with two forks or dice into small pieces when it’s cool enough to handle.
Use white meat, dark meat, or a combination of both — whatever you prefer!
Read Also: Panera Napa Almond Chicken Salad
Ingredients In Chicken Ranch Salad
This recipe still has all the basics found in a classic chicken salad and adds a fun twist of bacon and ranch dressing!
- Chicken: Use grilled chicken for that unmistakable outdoor flavor, or use leftover chicken from last nights roast chicken dinner, and get two meals for the price of one!
- Herbs & Spices: Parsley, dill, and seasoned salt. Make your own homemade seasoned salt, or use Mrs. Dash or another favorite.
- Mix-Ins: Bacon, green onions and celery. Celery is optional but adds a delicious crunch!
- Dressing: Ranch dressing, mayo, and a bit of mustard make the creamy and zesty base.
Chicken Salad With Walnuts And Grapes
Grapes, walnuts, and chicken come together in a creamy mayo-sour cream dressing. Toss this tasty salad in 20 minutes and serve it on bread, lettuce leaves, or with mixed greens with slices of avocado. It makes a great last-minute lunch if you have leftover chicken or turkey. Add radicchio for a pungent crunch, or use crushed roasted seaweed for a salty and crunchy texture.
Don’t Miss: Jack In The Box Grilled Chicken Salad