How To Make Healthy Tuna Salad
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the ingredients for the dressing: Greek yogurt, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, salt, pepper and parsley until well combined.
- Add the drained tuna on top, along with the celery and red onions and gently mix
- You can serve it immediately or let it cool in the fridge for half hour.
Why You Should Make This Recipe
- Quick and easy to make. It takes less than 5 minutes and only contains a few basic ingredients. It can be made fresh every day so that you dont have to compromise on quality.
- Easy to customize with your favorite ingredients. You can change the herbs in the recipe with your favorite ones and more veggies.
- Healthy and nutritious. Because we dont add a ton of ingredients or mayonnaise, this is a low calorie tuna salad. It contains a good amount of protein, healthy fats, vitamins, fiber and minerals.
About The Ingredients And Substitutions
This healthy diet tuna salad recipe calls for 4 ingredients and a simple lemon dressing.
- Tuna: We use canned tuna in sunflower oil. Tuna in brine or spring water works fine too.
- Herbs: Fresh dill and arugula pair wonderfully with tuna and add refreshing flavors. Chopped fresh parsley, lettuce and green onions would make great substitutes.
- Onion: We use red onion, but you can use white or brown onions too.
- Dressing: And finally, for our mayo and yogurt substitute, we use a simple olive oil and lemon juice dressing. They add flavor while also making the tuna mixture moist and creamy. Optionally, you can add a teaspoon of Dijon mustard too.
Recommended Reading: Arby’s Market Fresh Chicken Salad
How Long Does Tuna Salad Last
Tuna fish salad is a great make-ahead lunch because it will keep in the fridge for a few days. Because it has seafood and mayonnaise in it, be careful to not leave it out on the counter for too long.
Once youve made your sandwich, put it back in the refrigerator in an airtight container to keep it as fresh as possible.
Pro Tip: Start With Starkist Evoo
Im a sucker for a good meal prep shortcut, which is why I love these StarKist E.V.O.O. pouches. Since the wild caught tuna is already packed in cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil, I can easily get away without using mayo in this recipe. Added bonus: extra virgin olive oil gives the tuna a rich, mellow flavor and tender texture.
StarKist E.V.O.O. pouches are currently available in the following four delicious varieties:
- StarKist E.V.O.O. Wild-Caught Yellowfin Tuna with Sun-dried Tomato in Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- StarKist E.V.O.O. Wild-Caught Yellowfin Tuna in Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- StarKist E.V.O.O. Wild-Caught Pink Salmon in Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- StarKist E.V.O.O. Wild-Caught Yellowfin Tuna with Lemon Pepper in Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Any one of them would be amazing in this simple tuna salad recipe , but I decided to use the plain variety as my base
BTW In case youre wondering, StarKist offers StarKist E.V.O.O. canned varieties, as well!
Read Also: Wendy’s Apple Pecan Chicken Salad Nutrition
How To Make Vegan Tuna Salad
To make Vegan Chickpea “Tuna” Salad, simply follow the step-by-step instructions below:
- Step 1: Place the chickpeas, tahini, vinegar and lemon juice into the bowl of a food processor and pulse until well combined, making sure to leave some texture in the chickpeas. Alternatively, if you don’t have a food processor, you can use a fork to mash the chickpeas.
- Step 2: Pour the mashed chickpea mixture into a bowl and add in the celery, red onion, garlic and salt and pepper to taste. Stir until combined.
- Step 3: Taste the salad and add more salt if needed.
- Step 4: Pile the salad high on toasted bread with crispy lettuce and tomato or use it as a dip for veggies and/or crackers
Why Youll Like This Recipe
Easy to make: It doesnt get much easier than this recipe. Simply add all the ingredients into a bowl and mix together! Nothing better than a quick healthy lunch to kickstart your day..
Healthy Ingredients: Made with carrots, celery, bell peppers, and red onion, this tuna salad is a great way to get some veggies in your diet.
No Mayo: This tuna salad is made without mayo which means it doesnt spoil as easily. Making this tuna salad recipe awesome for picnics or outside gatherings!
Recommended Reading: How To Meal Prep Salad For A Week
Healthy No Mayo Tuna Salad
This recipe is very simple and made with nutritious, whole-food ingredients.
Tuna – Any kind will do. The most common canned tuna are skipjack, albacore and yellowfin. Skipjack tuna is a smaller variety and therefore usually has lower mercury levels than yellowfin and albacore tuna . It also has a stronger flavor than white tuna. If it’s available, I usually go for skipjack for these reasons, but there isn’t a huge difference. I also prefer the kind packed in water.
Tuna fish is a great source of protein, omega 3 fatty acids and other vitamins and minerals, including selenium, vitamin D and iodine.
Avocado – Ripe avocado adds a wonderfully creamy texture to this tuna salad. It’s full of healthy fats and fiber, plus many vitamins and minerals including many B vitamins, Vitamin K, Vitamin C and copper. This fruit is great for the digestive system, the heart, and for fighting inflammation in the body.
Cucumber – Adds some crunch to this healthy tuna salad recipe. Cucumbers are high in Vitamin K and contain a decent amount of other vitamins and minerals as well.
Red onion – Adds a beautiful pop of red color to this salad and some nice crunch and flavor. Onions are nutrient-dense and high in antioxidants, which protect your cells from free radicals .
Lemon juice – Adds bright flavor to the salad.
Salt, pepper and garlic powder – For flavor, of course!
How Long Does Tuna Salad Last In The Fridge
Tuna salad can be stored in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to a week. And of course, sandwiches are just one of many dishes you can make with tuna salad. Mix in some macaroni for an easy pasta salad side dish, or pack it into avocado halves or scooped-out tomatoes for a gluten-free lunch. A few spoonfuls of tuna salad with crackers is also one of my favorite afternoon snacks.
Recommended Reading: Tupperware Salad Bowl With Lid
Greek Yogurt Tuna Salad
Published: by Kate · This post may contain affiliate links
You can make a deliciously creamy and healthy tuna salad without mayo, using Greek yogurt instead! This Greek yogurt tuna salad is tangy, yet well balanced, with a hint of sweetness from pickle relish. Plus, it’s easy to make in only 10 minutes, with 6 ingredients .
Tuna salad is a classic, but if you want to lighten it up a bit without sacrificing flavor and that delicious creamy texture, you have to try my recipe for Greek yogurt tuna salad!
Along with the must-have tuna salad ingredients of freshly chopped red onion, celery, and Dijon mustard, this tuna salad also has a generous dollop of sweet pickle relish. The sweet pickle relish is actually one of the secrets to this delicious salad – it helps balance the tang from the yogurt.
Plus, I have one more secret to making this tuna salad without mayo the best ever – make sure to drain the tuna super-duper well! This way, you aren’t watering down the flavors. And, you get a nice firm tuna salad, rather than a watery mess! This is especially important for tuna salad with Greek yogurt, because the yogurt is a little less firm than mayo.
Healthy Mediterranean Tuna Salad
– Last updated: February 10, 2022
This healthy Mediterranean tuna salad recipe with no mayo is the perfect lunch or quick dinner recipe!
Packed with flavor this healthy tuna salad comes together in under 5 minutes and is gluten free, grain free, low carb, paleo, Whole30 and keto friendly! You can eat this tuna salad without mayo on a bed of spinach, served in a lettuce or collard green wrap or enjoy it on sweet potato toast or your favorite bread for a quick and healthy meal!
Also Check: Old Fashioned Chicken Salad With Eggs
Healthy Tuna Salad Common Questions
What can you use instead of mayo in tuna salad
If you want the same traditional creamy consistency but dont love mayo, you could use greek yogurt, mashed avocado or even cottage cheese instead of mayo. Or you could try a tahini based dressing as tahini creates a creamy dressing without any dairy or mayo.To switch things up and want a different take on tuna salad, you can use a vinaigrette or your favorite dressing instead of mayo!
Healthy ways to enjoy tuna salad with no mayo
Tuna salad does not have to just be eaten on a sandwich or on salad greens! Here are some fun ways to serve tuna salad that you may not have thought of: In red cabbage leaf cups
Recipe Notes And Tips
- This tuna salad with yogurt will keep well in the fridge for up to 3 days in an airtight container. It’s a great recipe for meal prep!
- Other things that you can add to this tuna salad include diced apples, bell pepper, chickpeas, fresh cucumber or chopped avocado.
- Add some red chili flakes to give the salad a bit of a kick.
- You can transform this recipe into a tuna pasta salad by mixing it with some cooked pasta.
If you liked this healthy tuna salad recipe, you might also like some of my other easy lunch recipes:
Recommended Reading: What Goes Well With Tuna Salad
Best Bread For A Tuna Sandwich
Since tuna salad is thick, hearty and heavy it needs a flavorful bread that can support its awesomeness. Arnold Bread is perfect because the bread is sturdy, wholesome, and the slices are large.
When toasted, Arnold Bread like 12 Grain and Whole Wheat makes the best bread for a tuna sandwich. It can without lots of fresh toppings like kale, tomato, and onion. It may be called Oroweat Bread, or Brownberry Bread depending on where you live. They offer a wide range of varieties that help make well being a part of your everyday.
Arnold Bread is packed with good for you whole grains. The Fiber in the Whole Wheat variety supports digestive health I love that it is also free of artificial preservatives, colors, or flavors with no added nonsense.
The 12 Grain variety is made with hole Grains/wholesome ingredients such as whole wheat, flaxseed, brown rice, buckwheat, sunflower seeds, oats, barley, and nuts. There is only 2 grams of sugar per slice and a whopping 5 grams of protein per slice. Like the Wheat Bread, it is also free of artificial preservatives, colors, or flavors with no added nonsense.
You can find everything you need to make this No Mayo Tuna Sandwich at Walmart. I used Walmart Online Grocery Pickup to order my supplies. I love that I can shop using my phone, place my order, and avoid the crowds. Dont want to pickup your groceries? Walmart also offers delivery!!
How To Make Tuna Salad Without Mayo:
In short: a bright and fresh lemony dressing. No wait hear me out.
So heres the tale of my switcheroo Several years ago, I was watching Rachael Ray and I heard her say that she doesnt like mayo. Im sorry, what? No comprendo, Rach. Mayo is where its at. Anyway, she continued on saying that since she doesnt groove on mayo she dresses her tuna sandwiches in lemon juice and olive oil. That sounded interesting to me at the time, but then I quickly forgot about it . A while later , I was flipping through Cooking Light Magazine when I happened upon a recipe called Tuscan Tuna Sandwiches, using the lemon and olive oil that she had mentioned.
Truth be told, it was pretty difficult for me to imagine enjoying tuna in anything other than mayonnaise, but after seeing it in print, I figured why not? I was trying to eat healthier anyway, maybe it would be a decent substitute for my mayo-drenched buddy. Well, I suppose the rest of this story is pretty obvious I tried it, my mind was freaking blown, you get the picture. I really loved how light and fresh it tasted, it was such a completely different tuna experience. Who knew tuna could even taste light ?
Anyway, this recipe is my take on a lightened up no-mayo tuna salad and I hope you love it!
Don’t Miss: Buy Frozen Seaweed Salad Online
What Goes With It: How To Serve Tuna Salad
What goes well with tuna salad? Well, many things! It tastes so good in a sandwich or wrap, and makes a healthy appetizer or snack next to some fresh vegetables. Here are just a few ideas for serving tuna salad:
- Tuna Sandwich: Probably the most convenient way to serve tuna salad is in a sandwich. You can use any bread you like, but I make it a bit more Mediterranean by scooping it into warmed pita pockets instead.
- Tuna wraps! For a low-carb option, you can ditch the bread and simply serve the chunky tuna salad in lettuce wraps .
- Appetizer or snack: One of my favorite ways to serve this easy tuna salad is piling it onto tomatoes for a yummy hand-held snack or app. Try it over some roasted tomatoes or with this heirloom tomato salad. For an even easier shareable snack, surround a bowl of the salad to use as a dip with vegetable spears, pita chips, and your favorite crackers.
What Can You Use Instead Of Mayo For The Tuna Salad
Olive oil and/or greek yogurt are great alternatives in replacement of mayo. Pesto, hummus and avocado are a few other options. However, I added a special ingredient that replaces the richness, and creaminess of traditional mayo and is also high in fiber and protein. What is it, you may ask? Cannellini beans, or as they are often referred, white beans.
WHAT ARE CANNELLINI BEANS ?
Canellini beans, or white beans are by far, one of my favorite types of beans. They are super rich and creamy. One can enjoy them cold, as the main staple in my Tuscan White Bean Salad. Also, they are equally enjoyable served warm, in soups. White beans are the star of the show in my recipe for Minestrone and my White Chicken Chili. Ok, enough about the beans. Lets get into how incredible this No Mayo Tuna Salad came together so beautifully, and simply.
Recommended Reading: Wendy’s Caesar Side Salad
Tuna Salad Without Mayo Or Yogurt Faq
How long does Tuna Salad last for?
Tuna Salad will last in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Its best eaten fresh
Can you make tuna salad without mayo ahead of time?
Yes, you can make tuna salad without mayo ahead of time. It will last for up to 3 days in the refrigerator, but we recommend making and eating it fresh.
This is such a great recipe for a quick meal or meal prepping I think youre going to love it!
Is Canned Tuna Healthy?
Absolutely, yes! Canned tuna is a healthy choice. It is a very nutritious and inexpensive way to get your protein intake. Tuna also has quite a long shelf life so you can stock up on tuna to enjoy whenever youd like.
What Can I Mix With Tuna Instead Of Mayo?
If youre wondering what on earth is in a tuna salad that doesnt contain mayo, its greek yogurt! It has similar texture, richness, and brings all the flavors together beautifully. You will love the substitution!
What Can You Eat With Tuna Salad Instead Of Bread?
If youre trying to cut down on carbs, you can leave out the bread and serve your salad on lettuce instead. Butter lettuce is perfect for tuna lettuce wraps, but you can use any type of lettuce that you have on hand.
Can You Freeze Tuna Salad?
While you technically can freeze tuna salad, I dont recommend it. When thawing, the yogurt can become separated and will affect the creamy texture that it has when it is fresh.
How Long Does Tuna Salad Keep?
Healthy Tuna Salad Without Mayo
This post may contain affiliate links, please see our disclosure policy for details.
This Healthy Tuna Salad Without Mayo is made with a delicious lemon dressing filled with flavorful veggies and chickpeas. Serve it on its own, over lettuce, or in sandwiches.
It costs about $6.65 to make this recipe. The recipe makes six servings for $1.10 per serving.
We love making healthy and satisfying meals for our family. Recipes like this Chicken and Pepper Stir Fry, Healthy Chicken Vegetable Soup, Zucchini Taco Boats, and of course, this Tuna Salad are just a few of our favorites.
Also Check: Corelle Salad Bowl 20 Oz
How To Make This Recipe
Let me show you how easy it is to whip up this yummy lunch! Once you have all of your ingredients out and ready to go, tuna fish salad is as easy as stirring everything together in a large bowl.
Full, printable instructions can be found in the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
My favorite way to serve tuna salad sandwiches is on fluffy, buttery croissants, but I also often enjoy this salad mixture with whole wheat bread or crackers.