Ingredients In Chicken Salad
- Use leftovers from last nights dinner or leftover rotisserie chicken or grilled chicken.
- To Make Chicken for chicken salad I like to use either poached chicken or baked chicken breasts or thighs.
- You can use canned chicken in a pinch but of course fresh is best when possible.
- Ensure the chicken is cooled and shred or chop the chicken into bite sized pieces.
- As this is a classic chicken salad recipe, Ive kept the additions to a minimum. Celery for crunch, green onions for flavor.
- This recipe can be made with a variety of nuts, veggies, and fruit for added flavor and texture.
- Chicken salad with grapes, avocado or dried cranberries is a favorite. Pecans or almonds pair well with this recipe.
- Mayonnaise is the base of this recipe and its simply seasoned.
- You can get creative and substitute some of the mayo for ranch dressing or your favorite salad dressing recipe.
- Create an Avocado Chicken Salad by replacing some of the mayonnaise with mashed avocado.
Homemade Chicken Salad Ingredients
Go to the fridge right now, and you likely have everything you need to make a batch:
- Chicken I normally use canned chicken breast, but you can also use shredded, poached chicken rotisserie chicken or leftover grilled chicken
- Mayonnaise our preference is Dukes mayonnaise. You can use the full-fat variety or a low-fat version.
- Pickle Relish make sure to use sweet pickle relish, which usually contains finely diced pieces of sweet pickles and red peppers in a sweet brine
How Do You Make Plain Chicken Salad
I am not opposed to gourmet chicken salad with nuts, fruit, fancy spices and dried fruit. But for a sandwich, nothing beats this basic chicken salad recipe. Just those three simple ingredients, a sprinkle of salt and pepper, and no more.
If youre looking for a good, easy chicken salad recipe without celery, like my dad, this is it.
If you like your chicken salad without eggs , like I do, this will make your belly happy. Ive never really understood why people put boiled eggs in chicken salad. No thanks!
You dont really need a recipe, but Im including one at the end of this post so you can get the proportions right.
Now, Im pretty sure chicken salad is eaten everywhere from east to west, north to south and everywhere in between. But in my mind, its a quintessentially southern food, the kind of thing youll find at summer picnics or church potlucks or baby showers, served out of a big Tupperware bowl alongside the sweet tea, baked beans, potato salad, pimento cheese and mandarin orange JELL-O salad.
But no matter where yall are from, I know you can appreciate a good meal, especially a simple one that can be fancied up depending on the occasion.
You May Like: Salad Dressing For High Blood Pressure
How Do You Make A Simple Salad Step By Step
How to Build a Perfect Salad in 5 Simple Steps Step 1 Choose Your Base. Red & Green Leaf Lettuce. Sweet, delicate flavor. Step 2 Add Fruits & Veggies. Avocado. Cucumbers. Step 3 Mix in Crunch. Toasted Nuts. Carrots. Step 4 Amp Up the Flavor. Cheese. Scallions. Step 5 Drizzle & Done! Delicato Extra Virgin Olive Oil +.
How To Serve Chicken Salad
Theres plenty of ways to serve chicken salad to delight every eater:
- Serve in croissants or on toasted thick cuts of whole wheat bread
- Mound chicken salad on top of fresh greens or cooked rotini pasta for an easy ladies-who-lunch salad
- Nestle a scoop of chicken salad in avocado halves
- Scoop out the center of a large tomato or cooked artichoke and stuff with chicken salad
You May Like: Santa Fe Salad Chili’s
Can You Freeze Chicken Salad
Sadly, mayonnaise doesnt freeze well and thats the base for the dressing in this recipe. If youd like ready to go chicken salad, Id suggest finely chopping the chicken and seasonings .
Freeze the diced chicken in single serving portions. When youd like a salad, just combine the chicken and seasonings with mayonnaise and any extra add ins.
How Do You Make Chicken Salad
This salad recipe is so easy to make! It consists of prepping the ingredients and mixing together the dressing.
Read Also: Nambe Yaro Salad Bowl With Servers
The Best Chicken Salad
This Chicken Salad is truly divine. At first glance you might balk at the grapes, but trust me, they make the salad exquisite. The sweet crunch of the grapes combines beautifully with the chicken and richness of the mayo. The celery and pecans create nice crunch to the chicken salad that elevates it to the next level.
I love using this for picnics and special lunches. It is so easy to make but it is so fancy at the same time. Chicken Salad comes together in a flash so you can have this on the table in no time. And you will love how it is so versatile as well, serve it as a wrap, on a croissant, on some rye bread, or in a lettuce bowl. However you serve it, just make it! You are going to love it, it is so divine!
Joannas Chicken Salad Ingredients
Now, let me tell you, this chicken salad is really perfect! But chicken salad can easily be changed up to include all of your favorite ingredients. Feel free to add pickles and fresh dill for a little tang. The Magnolia Table chicken salad recipe calls for the following ingredients:
- Shredded rotisserie chicken
- Chopped pecans
For me, this recipe couldnt get any more delicious! Make this for your next lunch gathering, shower, barbecue or for the tastiest lunch!
Don’t Miss: Macy’s Salad Bowl Set
How To Make A Creamy Chicken Saladno Mayo Needed
This recipe serves eight, but keeps in the refrigerator for five dayshello, work lunches!
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced lemon zest
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- ½ cup thinly sliced celery
- ¼ cup chopped scallions
- 2 tablespoons toasted sliced almonds
1. Make the dressing.
To make this chicken salad recipe, start by whisking together the sauce ingredients in a large bowl. Add the yogurt, lemon juice, oil, Dijon, zest, salt, black pepper, and cayenne to a large bowl and combine.
2. Shred the chicken.
Utilize leftover cooked chicken, or stop by the store on your way home and grab a rotisserie chicken, to cut down on prep time for this recipe. Use two forks to shred the cooked chicken into bite-sized pieces, then toss into the bowl with the dressing.
3. Get chopping.
With any chicken salad, theres a bit of chopping involved. Luckily for no mayo recipe, we kept the knife work to a minimum. Thinly slice two ribs of celery and roughly chop scallions and parsley, add all three to bowl with dressing and chicken.
4. Personalize it.
Heres where you can make this recipe your own. To keep it classic, we added raisins and sliced almonds, but you can use whatever dried or fresh fruit you prefer as well as whatever nuts you have on hand.
5. Serve it up!
Serve this creamy, no-mayo chicken salad between toasted slices of sandwich bread, on a croissant, in a wrap or spooned into lettuce cups.
How To Cook Chicken For Chicken Salad
If you are going to cook chicken specifically for chicken salad, the easiest thing to do is to poach it.
What I like to do is put a pot of 2 quarts of water and 1 tablespoon salt on to boil. As the water is heating, I cut skinless boneless chicken breasts into large chunks. When the water boils, I add the chicken, and return the pot to a simmer. Then I turn off the heat, and cover the pot and let the meat sit for 15 minutes in the hot water while I prepare everything else. Poaching chicken this way allows the chicken to cook gently, so the chicken retains more moisture.
After the chicken is finished cooking you can save the poaching liquid as light chicken broth.
Poaching aside, you can easily use any cooked chicken for this chicken saladrotisserie chicken, grilled chicken, or roasted chicken. My parents will often use leftovers from their favorite baked chicken, and even include some of the crispy skin in the salad.
Recommended Reading: No Fat No Sugar Salad Dressing
Lemon Roasted Chicken Salad Wrap
If youre the kind of person who loves a jam-packed chicken salad, this should be your go-to recipe. Not only is each layer of the dish full of flavor , but each layer is emphasized by the others. The incorporation of sweet cranberries heightens the acidic lemon in the chicken. The crisp celery and water chestnuts parallel the richness of walnuts. Each element creates balance, solidifying each ingredients role in the recipe.
Get the Recipe: Lemon Roasted Chicken Salad Wrap
Tips: Shredding Chicken With Ease
- Shred with your KitchenAid mixer! First, cut each chicken breast into 3 to 4 pieces.
- Place them into the mixing bowl and insert the paddle attachment.
- Mix at the lowest speed for about a minute, then slowly increase the speed and mix until the chicken is shredded evenly.
- This process only takes about 1 to 2 minutes.
At this point, you will want to chop all your veggies and herbs and get them ready to add to the cooked chicken. Finely chop or dice it all up and set aside until the chicken is cool.
Read Also: I Need A Recipe For Macaroni Salad
Lady Marmalade Chicken Salad
The name of the game with this Lady Marmalade Chicken Salad is pungent flavors. Every ingredient in this recipe orange marmalade, shallots, green apple, lime juice, garlic, brown mustard, curry powder, cilantro is working to pack a different punch of flavor, each of which, when married together, works to unify the dish. All of these elements are combined with creamy Greek yogurt and tender chicken for a salad that can be a stand-alone meal, but that is also great when paired with toasted bread or lettuce leaves.
Get the Recipe: Lady Marmalade Chicken Salad
Tips For Perfect Chicken Salad:
- Be sure to let chicken chill first before adding to the dressing otherwise it will warm the dressing and it just wont be the same.
- Add in a fruit if desired. Its good with diced grapes or apples . Sweeten the dressing with a hint of honey to pair with it.
- Add in a nuts for more crunch. Pecans, walnuts or sliced almonds are good choices.
- Use fresh herbs for added flavor. I like to use parsley but this is also delicious with 2 tsp chopped fresh dill.
- For the creamiest chicken salad use full fat mayonnaise.
- If using a rotisserie chicken buy a large chicken or 2 small to have enough chicken breast meat.
Also Check: Is Cobb Salad Keto Friendly
Does This Work With Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs
Yes! This method works well with boneless skinless chicken thighs, but with thighs you dont need to pound them thin first since theyre already pretty thin to begin with.
Just season the thighs with salt and pepper and cook them according to the recipe instructions. Theyll require a significantly shorter cooking time, usually 3 to 6 minutes per side, so keep a close eye on them to make sure theyre not overcooking.
Tips For Making Chicken Salad:
- You can replace the mayo with mashed avocado and sour cream for a different version.
- Reduce the calories by using Greek yogurt in place of mayonnaise.
- You can cook your own chicken breasts or thighs in the crockpot, then use an electric hand mixer to shred the chicken for this recipe.
- Use canned chicken in a pinch.
Read Also: Pottery Barn Melamine Salad Plates
Serve Chicken Salad With:
- Crackers this salad goes great with everything from Ritz crackers, to fancy crackers, gluten free crackers, to Tricuits. I havent met a cracker that Million Dollar Chicken Salad didnt taste great on!
- Chips Try it with tortilla chips, pita chips, or classic potato chips
- Extras Try it spread on toast or a croissant for a delicious chicken salad sandwich.
- Wraps Try making a wrap for an easy on the go option!
How To Make Rotisserie Chicken Salad
Like most chicken salad recipes, chicken salad made with rotisserie chicken is very easy to whip up!
For full, printable instructions, reference the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
Recommended Reading: How To Make Healthy Salad Dressing
Million Dollar Chicken Salad The Easy Way
Chicken salad is one of those meals that I crave every summer. It is refreshing, doesnt require me to heat an oven up, and comes together very quickly, leaving more time to play with the kids.
This chicken salad idea was inspired by my Million Dollar Dip. It has all the same great flavors from the cheddar cheese, bacon, and chives. And, if you know anything about the Million Dollar Dip, then you know it is the best! And let me tell you it makes an amazing chicken salad recipe too!
It has the same wonderful creamy texture and fun crunch from slivered almonds, but with the added protein of shredded chicken. And while a dip might not be substantial enough for a meal, this chicken salad version is the perfect grab-and-go meal for brunch, lunch, or dinner!
What Makes This Chicken Salad Special
The “secret sauce,” so to speak, of this chicken salad, is the tablespoon of plum preserves my mom adds to the mayo-based dressing. You could use any berry jelly or jam, but as we always have a lot of plum jam on hand , that’s what mom reaches for first.
Mom balances out the sweetness from the dab of jam with a bit of lemon juice.
The result? Wonderful!
You May Like: Carbs In Wendy’s Taco Salad
How To Store Simple Chicken Salad:
This chicken salad is so easy for everyone to enjoy. Occasionally we will have leftovers. All you need to do is store in an airtight container for the flavors to enhance.
The chicken salad will last about a week in the refrigerator. Once you are ready to enjoy again, simply give it a stir and your chicken salad is ready to enjoy.
Chicken Salad With Curry
Curry chicken salad is wonderful in pita pockets with a simple salad on the side. It also makes a great meal when mixed with cooked cubed potatoes. The curry powder gives it a powerful character while the sweet raisins and mayo tone it down, making a flavorful salad. Stick with the toasted almonds or add cubed peeled apples or pecans for extra crunch.
Recommended Reading: Tuna Salad Recipe 1 Can
Easy Basic Chicken Salad Recipe Without Celery
If youre like me and you arent exactly drinking celery juice because you love it so much then this is the chicken salad recipe for you.
This Easy Basic Chicken Salad Recipe without Celery will give you all the flavor you love in a healthy chicken salad. Just a few ingredients and you probably keep them on hand!
When You Need Lunch In A Hurry Whip Up A Batch Of This Easy Chicken Salad Recipe It Uses Just Three Simple Ingredients But Its A Big Hit On Sandwiches Or Atop A Bed Of Lettuce You Can Make It Using Leftover Chicken Rotisserie Chicken Or Canned Chicken Whatever You Have On Hand This Plain Canned Chicken Salad Recipe Is Made Without Celery And Without Eggs Just Chicken Mayonnaise And Pickle Relish
Sometimes the best recipes are the simplest ones. My mama has been making this canned chicken salad recipe with sweet relish for years, and it never disappoints.
Her easy chicken salad recipe uses only three ingredients.
For a delicious lunch, place a scoop of this easy homemade chicken salad and a scoop of southern style pimento cheese on top of a bed of lettuce. Its also good paired with potato vegetable salad. For dessert, serve up some mandarin orange salad, aka Orange Fluff.
If youre looking for a good basic recipe chicken salad without eggs, chicken salad without celery, chicken salad without grapes no need to look any further. Ditto if youre looking for a delicious canned chicken salad recipe.
This recipe might not be fancy, but its good every time.
It makes a mighty good sandwich .
And its also good scooped atop a bed of lettuce.
We all have different skills in the kitchen, and many times readers have questions about how to prepare a recipe, which kitchen tools they should use and whether certain ingredient can be substituted. I try to answers those questions and provide as information as possible, including cooking tips and tricks, variations and substitutions, kitchen shortcuts, serving suggestions and what to do with leftovers.
If you want to get the recipe right away, scroll to the end of the page for a printable version.
Also Check: Salad Dressing Made With Dijon Mustard