How Do You Make Taco Salad
- Heat olive oil in a 12-inch non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Crumble in beef in chunks. Let sear until browned on bottom, about 3 minutes then turn and break up beef and continue to cookie until cooked through.
- Drain fat from beef then stir in salsa, chili powder and cumin. Season with salt and pepper to taste and heat through, about 1 minute.*
- Layer lettuce among individual plates. Top with chips, beef mixture, cheese, tomatoes, avocado and sour cream. Serve immediately.
The Topping Ingredients For Taco Salad
First things first, we need some lettuce. I prefer Romaine its the perfect blend of leafy green and CRUNCH. Green or red leaf is fine, or iceberg will do in a pinch. Chop your lettuce into nice easy bite size pieces we arent feeding dinosaurs. And for heavens sake, get yourself a salad spinner. One of the best kitchen purchases you will ever make! It simplifies the salad-making experience so much. Here is the exact salad spinner I have.
One of my best taco salad tips is to mix your herbs in with your greens. And by herbs in this case, I mean cilantro and green onions. I toss both of these ingredients in with my romaine, right in the salad spinner, and give it a whirl. It helps distribute them properly so that you get ultimate flavor in every bite of salad. Chopped cilantro tends to clump up and stay in little bits. This is a good way to spread the cilantro love. If you arent a cilantro lover, GET OUT OF HERE. Im just kidding. Kind of. Try to change your ways. I know, I know, its a gene and not your fault. Maybe )
Here is my ultimate ingredient list for the best taco salad:
- tomatoes, either cherry tomatoes or chopped roma, red vine, etc.
- sliced radishes
How Do You Make A Homemade Taco Bar
The simple steps to creating an amazing taco bar right at home. 1 Start with Tortillas and Shells. Every taco starts with either a soft or crispy tortilla. 2 Meat and Cheese. Right next to the tortillas and shells, youll want to place the meat and cheese. 3 Salsa. 4 Extra Toppings. 5 Add Some Heat! 6 Enjoy!.
Don’t Miss: Carbs In Blue Cheese Salad Dressing
How Many Calories In A Beef Taco Salad Without The Shell
|For a Serving Size of 1 salad
|How many calories are in Taco Salad with Salsa without Shell? Amount of calories in Taco Salad with Salsa without Shell: Calories 420
|Calories from Fat 189
|% Daily Value *
Correspondingly, how many calories are in a Taco Bell taco salad without the shell?
One may also ask, how many calories in a beef taco salad with Shell? Region: US
Considering this, how many carbs are in a beef taco salad without the shell?
How many calories in a chicken taco salad without the shell?
Pepe’s Mexican Restaurants
|For a Serving Size of 1 salad
|How many calories are in Chicken Taco Salad with 4oz Salsa, without shell? Amount of calories in Chicken Taco Salad with 4oz Salsa, without shell: Calories 300
|Calories from Fat 144
|% Daily Value *
The 8 Healthiest Things To Order From Taco Bell, According To Nutritionists
- Soft taco. Courtesy of Taco Bell.
- Power Menu Bowl Veggie. Courtesy of Taco Bell.
- Bean burrito. Courtesy of Taco Bell.
- Spicy Tostada.
Is Wendy’s Taco Salad Nutritious
Ordering a salad from your favorite fast-food spot is a bit of a catch-22, as the seemingly “healthier” options are oftentimes actually some of the worst things on the menu in terms of nutrition. This, unfortunately, is the case for Wendy’s taco salad. The fan-favorite is the most calorie-laden salad option at the chain, with a total of 690 calories , but that’s not all. To make matters worse, the meal also contains 34 grams of fat, 68 grams of carbs, and more sodium than 160 Lay’s potato chips , which is certainly not ideal.
The upside of ordering a taco salad from Wendy’s is that all of its components are packed separately, making it easier for you to put together a slightly healthier meal. Skipping the chips and sour cream are two ways you can lower the dish’s calorie count, and pouring less chili on top of your veggies can help as well. Wendy’s taco salad is also big enough to split into two separate meals, which would each ring in at a more acceptable 345 calories each.
Recommended Reading: Oxo Good Grips Little Salad Spinner
What Is In A Taco Salad
Whip up this simple Taco Salad recipe loaded with all the very best Mexican meals toppings and Catalina dressing. Plus get my two secret elements for the greatest taco meat!
And the very best a part of Mexican taco salad is after all the Fritos. Function a lunch, taco night time household dinner, or for taco Tuesday. What is simpler than piling in your favourite taco elements
Reading: What is in a taco salad
This traditional taco salad jogs my memory a lot of summertime on the seaside or lounging poolside with household and associates. My Mother made this recipe each summer season, it was our favourite.
Add toppings you and your loved ones love, like creamy avocado and bitter cream, 25+ taco salad topping concepts are listed under. Plus strive my secret elements for the very best taco meat combine, really easy and SO good.
You even could make your personal home made taco seasoning combine too. For a twist, make a Dorito taco salad with crushed chips.
Can I Use A Store
Store-bought taco seasonings are great but sometimes they have added thickeners like cornstarch and that wont be needed here. Plus the bottled salsa steps in with onion and garlic so those few flavors found in taco seasoning are already added.
For this recipe I prefer to use just chili powder and cumin to keep it quick and simple but you could add more spices like coriander, paprika and cayenne if youd like or try it with different types of chili powder like Ancho, New Mexico, California etc.
Read Also: What Salad Dressing Has No Sugar
Easy Taco Salad Recipe
A healthy Taco Salad, loaded with juicy ground beef, served over a bed of crisp lettuce and all of the best taco salad toppings.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
Here’s How Wendy’s Taco Salad Is Made Today
The undeniable popularity of Wendy’s taco salad was clear proof that the chain had done something right when it was first created so many years ago, and when they brought it back, they knew they needed to stay true to its original recipe. “We love how nostalgic and passionate our loyal taco salad fans are and look forward to introducing it to a new generation of fans with the same build and quality ingredients,” Wendy’s vice president of brand marketing, Carl Loredo, said in 2016 when the salad made its return .
Just like the taco salad from 1982, the current version on Wendy’s menu includes a bed of chopped romaine lettuce, diced tomatoes, shredded cheddar cheese, and a bowl of its “perfectly seasoned and positively irresistible” signature chili on the side that contains red kidney beans, pinto beans, and ground beef . Customers are also given tortilla chips, sour cream, and salsa, which the chain promises are of the highest quality. “The taco chips are made from whole grain corn. The signature salsa is made with roasted tomatoes, jalapeño, and ancho peppers,” Wendy’s Culinary Innovation team member Emily Kessler told The Square Deal. “And it’s all served on the side, giving customers the option to top or dip their salad as they choose.” As for dressings, the chain has four to choose from: pomegranate vinaigrette, Caesar, and both a regular and southwest ranch.
Read Also: Chicken Salad Chick Decatur Al
How To Make Taco Salad:
For a crowd, or if uncertain of your guests preferences, set up a build-your-own taco salad bar.
Dont Miss: Is Salad Good For Pancreatitis
Once The Lettuce Is All Taken Care Of Throw It Into The Bowl With The Avocado
Then, get your cheese so you can throw some of that in.
Throw a cup of the sharp cheddar in the big bowl.
Then, throw 1 cup of the Mexican style blend into the big bowl. Once thats done, grab your cherry tomatoes so you get some lycopene with the meal. I think thats how its spelled.
Measure out 1 cup of those.
Then, dump those into the mesh strainer and wash them.
Once washed, dry them off as well.
You May Like: Chicken Salad Chick Newnan Ga
What Do You Put In Taco Salad Bowls
- Taco Salad shells are also an adorable way to serve dry accompaniments for a taco bar like cheese, onions, cilantro and lettuce.
- My favorite Taco Salad recipe so flexible by using all your favorite ingredients.
Truly, these bowls work well with any Mexican food, especially brown rice and cilantro!
To see just how easy taco salad bowls are to make, watch the video in this post!
- Pin this for later!
You can find all of my Easy Mexican Recipes here! Youre especially going to love this taco salad thats perfect to fill these shells. Dont forget to make my favorite skinny margaritas to go along with your taco night! What are your familys favorite Mexican dishes?
Recommended Reading: Does Chicken Salad Chick Delivery
Are Taco Salads Unhealthy
Although you may think of taco salad as a healthy option, its often loaded with calories and fat. But if you leave out the tortilla chips or taco shell, use fat-free cheese, and swap in plain yogurt for the traditional sour cream, taco salad can become a healthy, filling, low-carb, and flavorful meal.
In my kitchen, hot summers equal easy, one-pan dinners that avoid the oven and dont require keeping the stove on for too long. Salads are perfect for checking those boxes, but of course you still need some protein in there to make it a full meal. Thats where this easy and healthy taco salad recipe with ground beef comes in youre going to love it!
Don’t Miss: Fruit Salad With Yogurt For Weight Loss
Tips For Easy Taco Salad Recipe
- Leftover beef. Leftover taco meat is perfect for this taco salad recipe. You can even double this recipe with the intention of freezing some to use later because the beeffreezes beautifully for quick prep ahead dinners.
- Add cayenne pepper to taste. Depending on how spicy your salsa is and how spicy you would like your beef, you may or may not want to use cayenne pepper. I suggest making the beef without the cayenne pepper then tasting to see if you would like to add it. Keep in mind, it is okay if the beef is on the spicy side because it will mellow and be perfect once combined with all of the taco salad ingredients.
- Time saving tips. In addition to using defrosted make ahead beef, you can use pre-chopped Romaine lettuce, store-bought pico de gallo instead of tomatoes and onion and pre-shredded cheese.
- Prep the taco salad dressing first. The Cilantro Lime Dressing is very best chilled no one wants lukewarm dressing! So, plan on making the dressing earlier in the day and refrigerating it or pop it in the freezer for 30 minutes before serving if youre running low on time.
- Customize taco salad. All of the ingredients are just a guideline. You can use more or less of each ingredient, add other vegetables or omit some completely. The ingredient list is up to you to make it YOUR favorite Taco Salad!
- Different dressings. Have fun trying different dressings such as Tomatillo Avocado Ranch, Baja Catalina Dressing or Creamy Salsa Avocado Dressing.
Easy Taco Salad Ingredients
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for taco salad recipes, what each one does, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
You can easily customize this healthy taco salad recipe to your liking. Feel free to throw in any other veggies you have on hand, or omit anything you dont like. Thats one of the great things about easy salad recipes you dont have to be that precise!
Ultimately, what goes in a taco salad is very much up to you, but no matter what combo you choose, the key to making taco salad healthy is using natural ingredients.
You really dont need any store bought dressings or chips in there. But, for those that do want a little crunch, you can try adding tortilla chips .
Read Also: 8 Oz Salad Dressing Bottles
Key Ingredients And Substitutions
- GroundBeefwithTacoSeasonings Follow this recipe to make a homemade Ground Beef Taco filling. Or, cook up some ground beef and use a store-bought taco seasoning packet.
- IcebergLettuce We think this salad is best with crisp, cold iceberg lettuce, but you can use your favorite variety of salad greens such as Romaine or Boston lettuce.
- Cheese For convenience, buy a bag of the pre-shredded taco blend cheese, or shred your own mix of Monterey Jack and cheddar cheeses.
- RedOnion Slice red onion into very thin slices.
- Tomatoes Chop fresh, salad tomatoes into bite-sized pieces.
- Catalina Dressing The sweet, zesty flavor of Catalina Dressing is a must for this salad. Make your own following this recipe, or buy a bottle at the supermarket.
- Doritos Another must-include ingredient for this salad. I like the Cool Ranch flavor for this salad, while Jack likes the Nacho Cheese. You can use one of their spicier flavors if you prefer.
What Goes On An Authentic Taco
Lime is probably the most essential of authentic Mexican taco toppings. A squeeze of lime adds a dash of acid that brings out the other flavors in a taco beautifully. Onions, cilantro, pico de gallo, sliced radishes or cucumbers, avocado, and chili peppers are also standard toppings for authentic tacos.
Read Also: Can Pregnant Women Eat Tuna Salad
What To Serve With Taco Salad: 10 Festive Side Dishes
Tacos are insanely delicious. Theyre colorful, crispy, and flavorful. But they can be a little too messy to eat sometimes. This is why taco salads were invented.
A taco salad has all the ingredients of a classic taco, but as a salad its a lot easier to devour. Its got tender, juicy ground beef, beans, tomatoes, lettuce, sour cream, cheese, and salsa all that taco goodness. While some like it topped with tortilla chips, others prefer eating it in a tortilla bowl. Either way, its fantastic!
Want to save this recipe? Enter your email below and we’ll send the recipe straight to your inbox!
Taco salad is also easy to make, so its an excellent meal option any day of the week. Many see taco salad as a stand alone dish, but I love pairing it with other Mexican dishes. I mean, whats more exciting than turning your simple dinner into a fabulous Mexican feast?
If you cant think of any sides that will go well with taco salad, dont worry, Im here to help. These sides are all so good, youll need to make large batches because your friends will surely ask for seconds. Here are ten of the best dishes to serve with taco salad.
Taco Salad Recipe Variations
Like all salad recipes, this one is great to play with. Swap in the veggies you have on hand or adjust the toppings to make something you really love. Here are some suggestions:
- Switch the sauce. Any of the 3 versions of my cilantro lime dressing would work here. Omit the avocado and serve it as a vinaigrette, or use Greek yogurt instead of the avocado to make it creamy. You could also skip this dressing entirely and finish the salad with tomatillo salsa or chipotle sauce.
- Change up the creamy component. I love avocado here, but guacamole is just as good. Alternatively, try adding crumbled Cotija or grated cheddar cheese, cashew sour cream, or Greek yogurt!
- Make it fruity. Substitute mango or pineapple salsa for the pico, or use both!
- Vary the veggies. Raw or sautéed bell pepper, charred poblano, corn, or green onions would all be great additions.
- Make it a burrito bowl! Reduce the lettuce by half and add a scoop of cilantro lime rice to the bottom of your bowl.
Recommended Reading: What Do You Put In Taco Salad
Assembling The Taco Salad
I havent listed quantities on the foods below, since those are relative to how many people are dining and personal preferences. This isnt exactly a recipe, but more like lists of ingredients for you to assemble to your own liking.
You can layer the following ingredients in a large bowl, or do individual bowls if you have picky family members who dont like all of the components.
- Optional Deliciousness: Chopped avocado, guacamole, sour cream, shredded cheese, olives)
- More optional deliciousness: cooled, cooked rice or quinoa can be added if you want more carbs or a more filling meal
- A small handful of corn tortilla chips no, not Cool Ranch Doritos look for something with the non-GMO verified label or something organic.
- A squeeze of lemon or lime juice
- French salad dressing yes, French. Go for a generic version of a Catalina-style dressing, not the creamy French. Alternatively, make your own adaptation of this recipe to make it from scratch. If you truly loathe French dressing, you can use a creamy Ranch-style dressing. Just be sure to make these from scratch or get something high-quality. You dont want to sully this yummy, healthy salad with a chemical cocktail. Some folks just use a combo of salsa and sour cream for the dressing, but the French dressing makes a truly delicious salad.