More Side Salad Recipes:
If youre looking for more side salad inspiration, check out the rest of our simple everyday salad recipe collection, which includes simple recipes for Kale Salad, Italian Salad, Mexican Salad, Mediterranean Salad, and Sesame Slaw. Or feel free to check out some of our readers other favorite green salad recipes, including
Fresh & Flavorful Food For The Whole Family
Whether youre looking for a lunch spot to gather with good friends or a healthy place to feed your family, Chicken Salad Chick of Nichols Hills fits the bill. We offer a menu full of mouthwatering choices made fresh and served from the heart. Our chicken salad flavors deliver something for everyone, with recipes ranging from classic and savory to sweet and crunchyand even hot and spicy. We make our chicken salads in-house each day using the freshest premium ingredients, and we also have a selection of scratch-made pasta salads, soups, sweet treats, and other sides to round out your meal. Bringing your little ones along? Theyll love our Little Chicks menu for kids 10 years and younger.
Worst: Crispy Chicken Salad
A green salad with chicken may sound like a healthy meal, but descriptions like crispy and crunchy are red flags. These words are code for breaded and deep-fried, which can turn that healthy-sounding salad into a calorie bomb. Whats worse, research shows that eating a lot of fried foods can raise your chances of heart disease and type 2 diabetes.
You May Like: Oxo Good Grips Little Salad Spinner
Everyones Favorite Salad Recipes
Lets start with some of my top salad recipes that everyone always comes back to. Theyre crazy good, perfect for any occasion , and are so darn easy to make.
- Broccoli Salad: No joke, this is everyones go-to salad, no matter what time of year it is. Its perfect as a Thanksgiving side dish or summer barbecue salad. Plus, it holds up well in the fridge as the perfect meal prep salad.
- Salmon Avocado Salad: Topping a salad with warm, pan seared salmon really takes it up a notch. And you cant beat those creamy avocado slices.
- Chicken Salad: When the warm weather hits, this chicken salad is a must. Its deliciously creamy, crunchy, fresh, and will convince you to never buy store-bought chicken salad again.
- Caprese Salad: Ill gladly eat layers of fresh tomato, mozzarella, and basil on repeat. Just drizzle a little balsamic glaze for a summer classic that never fails to please.
- Tuna Salad: If you love my chicken salad, this tuna version is a no brainer. And all you really need is canned tuna, mayo, dijon mustard, and some fresh greens and herbs.
Springy Easy Salad Recipes
- Radish Salad with Yogurt Dill Dressing. Blushing radishes, cool cucumber and smoky roasted chickpeas make this gorgeous butter lettuce and radish salad with yogurt-dill dressing an absolute celebration of all things crispy-crunchy.
- Spring Salad With Barley and Lemon Chive Vinaigrette. Dressed with a chive vinaigrette, crunchy sunflower seeds and tart cranberries, this barley salad is an edible celebration of the cusp of spring, and makes a wonderful, hearty vegetarian dinner, too.
- Easy Fennel Salad. This sophisticated raw fennel salad is dressed simply with bright citrus, good olive oil, a sprinkling of parmesan and fresh mint to let the lightly anise-like flavor of the shaved fennel shine.
- Chopped Salad With Herb Yogurt Dressing. This fresh, crunchy chopped salad recipe is studded with bacon, dates and feta then doused in a yogurty, herby salad dressing. If you make it you might have a hard time not eating the whole bowl yourself.
Also Check: Peach And Goat Cheese Salad
Start With A Big Bowl Or Platter
You want to make sure that your serving platter or bowl is large enough to hold all the salad ingredients as well as allow room for you to toss the salad with the dressing.
If youre serving several people, this may mean a large salad bowl or platter. If youre making a salad just for one, a small mixing bowl or pie plate works well.
Everyday Side Salad Ingredients:
As I mentioned above, the base ingredients in this salad are all incredibly flexible. So feel free to use whatever you love best or have on hand! You will just need some type of
- Fresh greens: I tend to go with spring greens, baby arugula, or some sort of mixed greens for this salad. But any greens that you love best will work.
- English cucumber: We always keep a few English cucs in the refrigerator because they are easy to work with , they last for quite awhile in the crisper drawer , and they always taste so delicious with this salad! That said, feel free to use any type of cucumber that you prefer for this salad, or see other fresh veggie ideas below too.
- Red onion: If youve followed this blog for any amount of time, you know that I can never resist adding some thinly-sliced fresh red onions to my salads. But if you dont love them as much as I do, feel free to leave them out . Or to take the edge off of the red onion flavor, you can also briefly rinse the sliced onions in water before adding them to the salad.
- Nuts/seeds: Feel free to add in whatever nuts or seeds that you love best to give this tossed salad some extra crunch and protein! Were partial to salty pepitas, toasted pine nuts, or sunflower seeds in our house. But toasted almonds, walnuts, pecans, pistachios, or any other favorite nuts/seeds would be delicious options too.
- Everyday dressing: See below!
Recommended Reading: Chickpea Salad With Fresh Herbs And Scallions
Celery Salad With Apples
Heres a surprisingly delicious salad recipe that deserves a spot on your plate: celery salad! The name doesnt have quite the ring of say, potato salad. But this unique salad is so refreshing, youll become a convert from the first bite. Crunchy celery pairs perfectly with sweet apple, Parmesan shavings and a tangy vinaigrette. Its bright, its crunchy, its hydrating: it works for summer, and its perfect in the winter too.
Tips For Making The Perfect Salad
Tired of the same old greens for lunch? Depth, texture, and nuance are what make a great salad more than the sum of its parts. Transform ho-hum salads into delicious dishes with these tips from Giancarlo and Katie Caldesi, restaurateurs and authors of Around the World in 100 Salads.
This originally appeared as a web extra online for The World in a Salad in the September 2017 print issue of Experience Life.
Around the World in 120 Salads
Thoughts to share?
Recommended Reading: Bbq Ranch Salad And Go
Tools To Help You Make Salads Easily
- lettuce spinner A spinner is key to getting lettuce dry. Dry lettuce lasts longer and holds dressings better.
- plastic cutting board I have several in different colors for veggies and for meats
- veggie brush great for scrubbing vegetables
- vegetable peeler ideal for shaving carrots or peeling cucumbers, potatoes, or carrots
I think youre set for making a great dish now. Go get to it!
Family Favorite Salad Recipe
This is one of those recipes that has been in my family for probably 20+ years. My aunt made it at most holiday get togethers, then my sister started making it for just about every party and now its just become the top requested in salad in my family.
You just cant go wrong with that BLT flavor combination! Plus this salad has all the perfect blend of all the best textures.
Ive made a few modifications from the original recipe. For instance it calls for vegetable oil and I like to use light olive oil , then I add a little extra of this and that .
And I also added honey and dijon mustard to the dressing. These are natural emulsifiers so they help bind the dressing together. They also add a nice faint flavor that pairs well with the lemon and helps balance that acidity.
One other thing I like to do when time allows is make homemade croutons . They just taste so much better but sometimes its not so practical so store bought works fine.
The real name of the salad recipe is Salad de Maison but The Best Salad is just more fitting. No matter what you decided to call it youve got to try this salad! It will likely become the most requested salad in your family too!
Read Also: Who Has The Best Grilled Chicken Salad
Switch Up Your Greens
First thing’s first. If you always use the same exact base, it’s time to switch things up. “There are a ton of variety in greens that you can mix and match for salads. Popular types include spinach, romaine, arugula, kale, radicchio, mixed greens, cabbage, dandelion greens, iceberg, butterhead, frisée, and endive,” says Allison Scheinfeld, RD, a Brooklyn-based registered dietitian. “It’s not only good to mix and match for taste reasons, but also for nutrient and health benefit reasons. For example, kale has a high amount of vitamin A and C, while arugula has a nice amount of calcium, potassium, and folate.”
Healthy Salad Hint #1
Don’t be afraid to experiment with the way that you chop your salad greens and other ingredients. Don’t like eating large leaves? Make a chopped salad instead and cut each ingredient into easy-to-eat 1/4 inch squares. Some chefs even cut herbs and other ingredients into elegant ribbons for a more sophisticated look.
Recommended Reading: How To Make Diet Salad
What Kind Of Chicken Should I Use To Make Chicken Salad
Chicken salad is typically made using leftover chicken, canned chicken, or shredded rotisserie chicken. You can use either dark meat, white meat, or a combination. If you dont have any pre-cooked chicken on hand, you can also cook chicken just for making chicken salad. Simply boil 2 chicken breasts in either water or chicken broth for about 15 minutes, or until cooked through. Drain and shred chicken with a fork.
How To Make Salad More Interesting
If you’re searching for salad recipes, chances are you’re looking to find out how to make salad more interesting. Or perhaps you’d like to know what to put into a healthy salad? Get your salad servers ready because we have salad recipes for dinner, lunch and as a side dish for summer entertaining or barbecues.
Also Check: Disposable Salad Bowls With Lids Uk
How To Build Exciting Unboring Salads
The term salad doesnt just mean some lettuce drizzled with a dressing or vinaigrette. Instead, think of it as a meal that has multiple layers of flavor , texture , and color . Honestly, a salad is the most wonderful blank canvas to let your creativity run wild. So have fun with it. Heres a few ideas to get you started.
- Build layers of flavor. Start with a vegetable base, mix in seasonal ingredients, add filling protein, toss in some healthy fats, and drizzle a tasty dressing or sauce.
- Get creative with textures. Aim for a variety of textures with every bite it makes the salad more interesting! For example, start with a soft spinach base, then toss it with crisp bell pepper, juicy tomatoes, and crunchy nuts and seeds.
- Make your salad colorful. While green may form the base of your salad, remember that nutrient variety comes from color variety. So try to make your salad as vibrant as can be.The more color the better!
Del Taco Signature Taco Salad With Fresh Guac
When you hear Taco Salad, its fair to think youre going to be eating your salad out of a bowl made from an oversized fried tortilla. The kind you can break pieces off of and use as a makeshift spoon to eat your salad with. This isnt really that. Del Taco just served their salad with a side of salsa and threw some tortilla chips in it and called it a day.
Wed knock them down the ranking for that low effort if everything else here didnt work. Luckily, it does. The tortilla chips feel half-assed, but theyre appreciated, and perfect for utilizing to scoop up some guacamole and black beans from the bed of iceberg and romaine. Sour Cream acts as a dressing here, but I think its not needed with the serving of guacamole and salsa they give you.
Instead of throwing tomatoes into this salad, Del Taco did one better and included Pico de Gallo as well as some fresh cilantro weaved in with the iceberg and romaine, giving the salad a fresh aftertaste. The shredded cheddar acts as a nice bit of garnish and the beef crumbles would be better swapped for chicken, but at the very least they add an interesting flavor to the whole thing.
If Del Taco had some roasted corn in here, this thing would be so much better.
The Bottom Line:
Pretty good, a few ingredients and substitutions away from being great.
Find your nearest Del Taco here.
You May Like: Mesa Salad Jason’s Deli
Let Us Help Make Dinners A No
When youre struggling to figure out a weekday dinner, your go-to might be unhealthy fast food. Dont rely on greasy dives to provide your family with the nutrition everyone deserves. Luckily, Chicken Salad Chick of Hampton, VA has you covered! Were the premier healthy place to eat in Hampton, VA, offering various savory options for anyones taste preferences. Whether you want a kick of spice or fruity and nutty flavors, our menu is expansive and can accommodate your needs.
Our talented chefs make our chicken salad recipes from scratch in our kitchen, taking the time to add a little love and carejust like grandma used to do. We source our produce from established vendors who dont add any enhancements, so you can rest assured that youre getting quality ingredients every time.
And if youre looking to feed an entire army, we can assist you in catering your next corporate event or family get-together. We love helping you make lasting memories with the recipes we provide. You can choose from on-the-go signature lunch boxes or specialty traysall with your taste buds in mind.
Also Check: What Salad Dressings Are Keto Friendly
Chicken Salad Chick Broccoli Salad Allergens
Allergy Information: a Chicken Salad Chick Broccoli Salad contains egg and milk. a Chicken Salad Chick Broccoli Salad does not contain fish, gluten, MSG, peanuts, sesame, shellfish, soy, tree nuts or wheat.*
* Please keep in mind that most fast food restaurants cannot guarantee that any product is free of allergens as they use shared equipment for prepping foods.
Don’t Miss: Good Low Calorie Salad Dressing
Use A Mix Of Greens For Varied Texture And Flavor
The mixture of greens in a restaurant salad elevates it as well. Luckily, these days most grocery stores sell greens mixed together already. However, its simple to do yourself at home too. Keep texture and flavor in mind when you mix. Romaine and iceberg have more of a crunch than spinach or arugula. And watercress and arugula will add a peppery bite compared to mild Bibb lettuce or simple green leaf lettuce.
Secret #9 How To Dress A Salad
Right after youve coated the salad leaves with the oil, sprinkle the following over the salad:
- Juice of 1/2 lemon, squeezed directly into the bowl, picking out seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Several grindings of black pepper
- In a small bowl, combine 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard, 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce, and a dash of Tabasco Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
Toss again vigorously but gently until the ingredients have been well distributed among the lettuce leaves. Taste and adjust seasonings.
Grab the salad plates from the freezer and plate that beautiful salad.
Recommended Reading: Oil Free Vegan Salad Dressing
El Pollo Loco Double Chicken Avocado Salad
This salad is a significant step up from Del Taco. The Double Chicken Avocado Salad doesnt have a single weak component. A heavy double serving of chicken breast sits on top of a lettuce blend that features iceberg, romaine, cilantro, the occasional spinach leaf, cilantro, and a few other lettuce fillings. Its the first salad weve hit with an adequate mix of greenery and, if that wasnt enough to impress us, the chicken is perfectly juicy thanks to a marinade that includes paprika, citrus, pepper, and salt.
Roasted corn, a few slices of ripe avocado, cotija cheese, and pico de gallo join the juicy chicken to complete the salad which is served with your choice of creamy cilantro dressing or a Mexican vinaigrette. Ive only had the cilantro dressing, which tastes to me like a simple cilantro-based cream sauce. Its good, but I prefer El Pollo Locos avocado salsa. The inclusion of fresh avocado is great, it adds to the heartiness of the salad, ensuring a single order with no additional sides is enough to have you full and satisfied.
The Bottom Line:
Overall this is a great option, health and flavor-wise. There isnt a lot El Pollo Loco could do to make this better than it already is.
Find your nearest El Pollo Loco here.